Places to see

gag0630

We are going on the celebrity to st croix,st Thomas, Grenada, Dominica. Not sure if I need to book excursions or I can get around on my own. Don't know where to go, do know we want to snorkel. really need help, excursions are pricey but I want to make sure I get to the good places. Thanks for your help

The ports of call board can be helpful. Also try TripAdvisor & the offical Board of Tourism sites for each island.

It depends on what you want to do.

You can get around on your own on every island. You can book tours through the cruiseline, which as you noticed are epensive or you can do your research & book on your own.

I've never been to St. Croix. All I ever want to do is shop in St. Thomas although we do enjoy walking from Havensight to Charlotte Amolie (I can never spell that). It's a long walk. In Greneda I recommend a tour with a great independent guide named Mandoo; he's fabulous & very professional. In Dominca we did a ZipLine Adventure Tour which I hated because it wasn't just sitting & sliding but rather a Marine worthy obstacle course 40 feet in the air. I have always wanted to go to Champagne Reef & Trafalgar Falls there.

St. Thomas is wonderful for snorkeling. I suggest you do an independent excursion there, or go over to St. John for the day at one of the beaches there.

Dominica: we have done a great excursion with Woody, and loved seeing all the different black beaches, etc. You do get a chance for a little snorkeling there, but not much. We are doing the ship's Champagne Reef excursion there on our upcoming Summit trip since there are no independent operators who will take you there on a boat. You can snorkel it on your own, but I read that the beach is VERY rocky.

St. Croix: We did Big Beard's excursion and had a fabulous time. We also love to snorkel, and we saw some good fish there.

We have never been to Grenada, so I have no opinion of what to do there.

As others have said, the Ports of Call boards have a wealth of information.

Have fun planning!!

Like the others have said, I would recommend checking out the ports of call boards. I did a similar itinerary on Celebrity Summit two years ago, so you might want to check out my (overly detailed) review for a few ideas on things to do- the link is in my signature below :) Enjoy your cruise!

Champagne Reef in Dominica was breath-taking! The bubbles were like something out of a cartoon! We snorkeled off the beach, and yes, it was hard to walk out and even harder to walk back into the beach. I might take a boat tour next time, although it would probably not be as difficult for somebody younger (less than 50) and/or in better shape than I am.

The rainforest was so beautiful, too. Don't miss the warm springs.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Not certain if this is your first cruise. But when we did our first cruise we were more interested in learning about the new ports and viewing interesting sights.

All the ports you listed, you can do independent tours on.

Ports of Call here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Like the others have said, I would recommend checking out the ports of call boards. I did a similar itinerary on Celebrity Summit two years ago, so you might want to check out my (overly detailed) review for a few ideas on things to do- the link is in my signature below :) Enjoy your cruise![/

Just not sure if should should just take cabs on my own

Just not sure if should should just take cabs on my own

We have never had problems with cabs on any of the islands. We are their bread and butter, so they take good care of us. There are usually people with whom to share cab rides, too. When you get to a beach, the cab driver will want to know when to pick you up, and you tell them. You will want to get back to the ship about an hour before sailing, just for peace of mind.

We did 3 of those ports in March.

St. Thomas - go to either Magen's Bay or Sapphire Beach. Sapphire Beach is more for snorkling than Magen's Bay. I've been to both and liked each one the same.

St. Croix - We took the ship excursion to Hotel on the Cay and loved it.

Grenada - I think this is the port I hated the most. I just didn't feel safe walking around on my own. Our tour completely sucked so my vote is to do a beach trip either with the cruise or through a taxi.

Hope that helps some.

St Thomas we go to Meagan's beach, when you get off of the ship, there will be someone that is directing people to buses, cabs, etc. BE SURE to take one of the open air buses (about $10.00 each), the ride over is a tour in itself. Megan's is uncluttered and very scenic.

We spend 3-4 hours at Meagan's Beach, there is a cute bar, food and a little shop. Also, very nice changing rooms and restrooms.

On your way back from Meagan's, you might take a bus that stops at the top of Blackbeards Home - you walk down 99 stairs, stopping at the different levels, checking out the grounds, statues and buildings, even Rum tasting! You go at your own pace, so can take 30 minutes or a few hours. You can also go up the stairs from town.:D

The 99 stairs down ends in "downtown", TONS of shopping (don't forget the Bavarian chocolate factory), then on the way back to the ship there is the usual shopping in the port area.

Domenica - we again disembarked and boarded a van with other cruisers (very inexpensive) and toured two rain forest locations, again, the ride/tour to the rain forests was fun with the other cruisers and there was a lot to see. We got the "flavor" of the island at a great price and did not feel rushed like on some ship shore excursions.

Both are popular destinations and there will be people at the transportation area at the port to help and direct you

We've been to all of those islands, except for St. Croix,; St. Thomas many times.

Since we've been to St. Thomas so often we usually just take a long walk to the downtown and back. For snorkeling, go to St. John's or find a sailing or catamaran tour. We enjoyed Water Island too, for a relaxing beach day; no snorkeling, though.

Grenada is a beautiful island. Our first time we picked up a taxi tour at the dock. It was ok; next time I'd arrange a private tour ahead of time. The second time we walked from the ship into town, which has one of the most beautiful harbors you can imagine, then up to the fort and back. I did not feel unsafe.

Dominica is so spectacular. Our first trip we did a private tour that included hot springs, some mild hiking, waterfalls and a swim up a beautiful ravine that was featured in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and more. It was wonderful.

The second time in Dominica we went to Champagne beach with a private tour I arranged ahead of time. The snorkeling was great; yes, the 'beach' was very rocky, so bring water shoes if necessary.

BTW, we are both 66 and do like active excursions. We are in good health and had no trouble with any of the tours.

We almost never do ship tours, with some exceptions due to timing, so look on the ports boards on here to get recommendations for private tours others have taken. They will generally be quite a bit cheaper and better, with fewer people.

Most of these ports you can also just walk around for shopping or seeing the towns, or pick up a tour right at the dock.

Welcome to CC!

In addition to the good information here ... as others have mentioned, you would probably enjoy going to Ports of Call and checking under each of your port stops. You can ask questions there as well.

Since this is your first time to any of them, booking your excursions through the ship would be less stressful for you. They pick you up from the ship, take you to have fun, return you to the ship ... and you never have to worry about "missing the boat". :D

Have FUN planning!

~~~~

Do most of the places except credit or do you need cash or travelers checks?

For private excursions you would probably have to pay in advance by credit.. doubt any would take a travelers check. Most don't require payment in advance though - you pay cash when you check in or after the excursion is over. I would not ever recommend a credit card payment for anything on the 'islands'... but that's just me. Most islands will not have computer generated credit card transactions - instead they have the old paper copy. Your cc # stays with them indefinately... see where that's going??

Whether to pay the ship's prices (usually at least 30% more), or go independent is really up to you personally. It's a little like food - it's subjective. 99.9% of the 'Islanders' are honest.

Like others have said, look into the Islands boards, and your roll-call. Soooo much info available. Also..... Google is your friend!! Do it!

Good Luck

I've never had to pay for a private excursion up front in the Caribbean, and I wouldn't take that tour if it was required.

Usually you pay (we use cash) at the end of the tour. Traveler's checks are getting harder to use.

I missed earlier that you are a first-time cruiser. Ship tours will be easier and more comforting for you, if you are the nervous type. Otherwise private tours and usually much better. Knock on wood we've never had a problem with our private tours.

I am thinking of booking an excursion with big beard on st.croix, but I need to leave the dock to take a cab to christen tad by8-8:15. Not sure if that is possible since the boat docks at 8:00 any other suggestions for st croix?

I am thinking of booking an excursion with big beard on st.croix, but I need to leave the dock to take a cab to christen tad by8-8:15. Not sure if that is possible since the boat docks at 8:00 any other suggestions for st croix?

If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of us who went together from the pier over to where Big Beards was. Did you ask him about this? I bet they want the cruise passengers to be able to get there in time.

Archived