Wine in checked luggage

Daydaes

We want to bring our wine with us on the cruise. What is the best way to pack it in the luggage? We know it can't go carry on so assuming it must be checked. We have the cardboard container that it was shipped in, would that work?

You should not pack wine in your checked luggage, as the bottle may break an ruin other guests clothing and suitcases. Bags are usually stacked many on top of each other, in large metal cages for loading on the lower decks of the ship. The best way is to keep wine with you. You are allowed to bring wine onboard on Holland America.

David

You should not pack wine in your checked luggage, as the bottle may break an ruin other guests clothing and suitcases. Bags are usually stacked many on top of each other, in large metal cages for loading on the lower decks of the ship. The best way is to keep wine with you. You are allowed to bring wine onboard on Holland America.

David

Perhaps I am mistaken but I think OP is referring to flying with their wine in checked luggage.

I suggest you buy it when you arrive in your embarkation city and then carry it on.

HAL permits you to carry on as much wine as you wish.

I would not pack wine bottles in with our clothes as broken bottles would be prone to 'ruin my day'........ and our clothes.

We want to bring our wine with us on the cruise. What is the best way to pack it in the luggage? We know it can't go carry on so assuming it must be checked. We have the cardboard container that it was shipped in, would that work?

In between your clothes with a lot of bubble wrap and plastic wrap.

If you mean checking the wine for an airplane flight, I would purchase the wine at the port and carry it on. For me, no wine is worth the weight and risk of packing it with checked luggage. Not even our excellent Oregon wines. :D

There are several posts here about where to purchase wine at the ports.

I have been bringing wine back (at least a case or more between my wife and I) from Europe on over seven trips in our checked luggage and have never lost a bottle. On our last cruise, a TA on Holland America out of Venice, I left the two cases of wine in their original packing crate and just slapped a HAL luggage tag on the boxes and they were delivered to our cabin.

Several years ago I bought a Bellino Bottle Limo. It holds 12 bottles, has wheels and an extendable handle just like luggage. Well actually, it is luggage. I put our wine in it and give it to the porter along with the rest of our luggage and I have never had a problem. I can't remember where we bought it, but I believe it was at Costco. Google "Bellino Bottle Limo" and you will find it. We have used it a lot so it was well worth the small investment.

I have also used this on the airlines as checked baggage to bring wine back from wine country when we went there. I was most skeptical about doing this, but to my surprise, all the wine bottles survived the trip with no problems. I've never had an issue giving it to the porter on a cruise, it always ends up safely in my cabin.

If you are flying with wine in your checked luggage, I suggest packing the bottle in several layers of bubble wrap and then placing it in a large ziplock bag filled with things such as socks, underwear, and T-shirts that you won't care as much about if a bottle gets broken. Or even better than risking a bottle getting broken, buy some of the better box wines if it's wine you'll be enjoying in your cabin. I'd still put the box in a ziplock bag with the other items just in case there is a leak.

We're flying in to Fort Lauderdale late for our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam in four weeks. Total Wine will be closed by the time we get to our hotel, but the Publix will still be open. The wine selection is not as good, but we'll be able to find a few good bottles to buy there.

geoherb, if your embarkation day is Saturday, Total Wine is open at 9:00AM. You can contact them and order what you want and they will have it ready to pick up. Or, if you can work it out with a cabbie, you even have time in the morning to shop for wine there. I did that once and it worked out fine. Even on a Sunday, they are open at noon, so its still possible, just a little tighter on the scheduling.

Thanks for the replies:) The wine we want to bring is from a small winery that doesn't have their wine in stores. So going to Total Wine etc. wouldn't work. Guess we will have to forgo the wine or just get a glass at dinner a few times. Can't wait to be on the ship tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the replies:) The wine we want to bring is from a small winery that doesn't have their wine in stores. So going to Total Wine etc. wouldn't work. Guess we will have to forgo the wine or just get a glass at dinner a few times. Can't wait to be on the ship tomorrow!!!

ahh too bad - for future reference = if you want to transport by plane - order the wine keepers from Magellans. They work for liquor or wine - sealed with bubble wrap plus another protective covering and then special vacuum packed plastic - re-usable - re-doable - we've used them many times (once we are off the ship) to pack for air travel for our duty free stuff and they are superb. No accident yet and many a bottle packed:)

Note - do NOT leave them in the baggage to go on the ship - pull them out and carry them on - same for going off - just my own opinion though

It is too bad that the Original Poster was discouragee from bringing her preferred wine in their checked baggage on the plane and when boarding. Wine bottles travel exceptionally well in luggage. As I said before, I have never had any wine bottle break in ANY of my checked baggage, be it on airlines or cruise ships. In fact, once while traveling with several bottles in my checked baggage, Delta Airlines nearly destroyed my suitcase containing six bottles of wine. Delta replaced the suitcase, but all the wine bottles survived.

Several years ago I bought a Bellino Bottle Limo. It holds 12 bottles, has wheels and an extendable handle just like luggage. Well actually, it is luggage. I put our wine in it and give it to the porter along with the rest of our luggage and I have never had a problem. I can't remember where we bought it, but I believe it was at Costco. Google "Bellino Bottle Limo" and you will find it. We have used it a lot so it was well worth the small investment.

I have also used this on the airlines as checked baggage to bring wine back from wine country when we went there. I was most skeptical about doing this, but to my surprise, all the wine bottles survived the trip with no problems. I've never had an issue giving it to the porter on a cruise, it always ends up safely in my cabin.

Thanks for the great tip. I just purchased mine at amazon, and should be here by the end of next week. Now to shop to complete my collection for our upcoming cruise!

• 2 years later...

This thread is 3 years old now but I thought I would add my solution to the mix. Admittedly this built for purpose wine suitcase wasn't on the market when this thread was alive but it is now. It was the perfect solution for me because it was designed and built to be a wine suitcase. It is more expensive than a Wine Check or Bellini Bottle Limo but it is far stronger and far more protective of your bottles. Mine goes everywhere with me and I have never had a broken bottle. http://www.vingardevalise.com

It's been our experience, if you purchase wine from a winery (in sufficient quantity), they will box it up ready for shipping & on a plane, it can go either as checked luggage or as a carry-on. We've never had a broken bottle in a packed by seller container.

It's been our experience, if you purchase wine from a winery (in sufficient quantity), they will box it up ready for shipping & on a plane, it can go either as checked luggage or as a carry-on. We've never had a broken bottle in a packed by seller container.

Works pretty well in the U.S. if you are buying all of your wine at one place. If not, a whole other logistical nightmare. In other parts of the world, many wineries do not provide this service. Wine cannot be carried on a plane so it must be checked. I check mine but I use my wine suitcase. It is much easier to maneuver and the foam inserts and foam padding are far superior to Styrofoam or a cardboard box. And I can use it on every trip. Cost more to start; less in the long run. There was a time when I didn't have a choice. Now I do.

Don't forget the $18 corkage fee. Only one free... All the rest pay the corkage. Someone will please confirm.

per 750ml bottle of wine. You are only allowed one per person 750ml of wine free to enjoy in your stateroom/balcony.

Don't forget the $18 corkage fee. Only one free... All the rest pay the corkage. Someone will please confirm.

Is HAL really strict about that? We've never cruised HAL but have been able to bring wine onboard at every stop on other lines.

Patti