Aboard the Cloud to the Amazon

duct tape

I appreciate the info about the chairs, Wellseasoned. Thank you. So glad to know that Silversea continues to make plenty of space for lounge chairs in shaded areas by the pool. (And continues to serve their yummy pappardelle with duck ragout.. )

Deiter, your pics are great, what kind of Camera - Lens are you using, they are very professional. Quite frankly I never expected such clarity on this forum, best I have yet to see, next time we get togther w/you and Debbie, you'll have to give me a 1st hand demonstration. Usually Victoria and Bob are the Offical Photographers. I did this same cruise a few years back on the Sea Drem II, it was and has been our favorite cruise of all times. Being a Sport Fisherman, the Fish market in Belem was a visit I'll always remember.

Keep up the great work here, you have just found another niche to excell in. Save Sheila and I some of that Cioccolato Bianco Grappa I know its your favorite.

I can't help it folks! In my profession you are taught to KISS...keep it simple, stupid...shot and sweet and factual! We are heading to the mouth of the Amazon and the muddy water has already started. The pool had to be emptied for some mechanical reason and it is just being refilled. The Staff Captain, Security and lots of deck crew are up there worrying over it, looking for the first hint of mud. Keep your fingers crossed. Looking forward to the party tonight. Yes, I just learned that Sailmaker is aboard and I hope they got their invitation! Later.

YES, super great reports by duct tape from an area of the world that is on our future, to-do list. Great visuals by Wellseasoned. Keep up the good work and wonderful sharing. The new chairs in the Le Champagne look very nice and super comfortable. Glad to know that the Silver Cloud is looking good and much improved.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 86,327 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We had a fine day in Santarem yesterday, took a very nice boat tour, saw wildlife, fished for piranhas, learned a lot about the rivers, geography, and economy.

There is a very dramatic meeting of the waters at Santarem,with the clear Rio Tapajos joining the muddy Amazon.

MeetingofwatersatSantarem.jpg

I was very lucky to catch an Amazon dolphin leaping.

AmazondolphinatSantarem2.jpg

The piranha fishing was successful for some. I was successful at feeding them bait.

fishingforpiranhas.jpg

Today we are at Boca da Valeria, a small fishing village, we decided to skip it. Very hot and humid. They closed the foredeck on deck 9 this morning because of a swarm of unhappy bees of some sort. Tomorrow Manaus for Thanksgiving.

That swarm of bees were like a ball of krill. There were thousands trying to nest inside of a stack of lounge chairs. The Vice Captain and crew were addressing it but, until it was under control, I was stuck inside the gym.

Just shortly before this, there was a huge swarm of black fly looking bugs that were putting on a show in front of the windows of the gym.

This whole exhibit kept me apprehensive about going ashore.

The afternoon heat is rather oppressive. Tomorrow we arrive in Manaus for the first of our two day visit.

I'm really impressed by the variety of fresh fish available in the restaurants. The meals have been terrific and the service steller everywhere on the ship.

So here is a photo of the pool set up-

amazon%2520trip%2520184.JPG

And Le champagne-

amazon%2520trip%2520191.JPGamazon%2520trip%2520192.JPG

And kudos to Silverseas who at Boca Da Valeria today were giving the old pool deck furniture to the villagers-all loaded on dugouts and taken ashore-

amazon%2520trip%2520052.JPGamazon%2520trip%2520053.JPG

Golly, with these terrific photos, who needs to go on a cruise at all??!!!

Many thanks to Drron29 for showing the pool deck layout. I'm so relieved that the Cloud kept room for all those nice lounge chairs in the shade.

I hope you all continue to have a fine voyage and enjoy the ship's Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

Wellseasoned/Dieter & Debbie; thanks for the delicious Sitrep on Silversea's fab pappardelle with duck ragout, can't wait to have it again and again on our Spring Crossing. Also, outstanding pix posting--continued kudos--know it takes your time & lots of your valuable internet time to post.

KaraokeQueen, Thank you for your Cloud on board report--very nice to hear your enjoying the cuisine/service.

Drron29, Thank you for wonderful pix of the pool deck and LC and thanks for sharing Silversea's generous donation to the local villagers.

I was very lucky to catch an Amazon dolphin leaping. The piranha fishing was successful for some. I was successful at feeding them bait.

Absolutely brilliant pic of the dolphin, Wellseasoned. I have so many pics of dolphins but am yet to capture one leaping:(

Luv your pics:)...continue to enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Jennifer

Greetings from "...the land where nothing ever really dries out"! It is still hot and humid but there is so much to do, it does not appear to have defeated anyone yet. We are in Manaus, 1000 miles up the Amazon. There is abridge nearby, supposedly the only one over the Amazon, that can take you from Venezuela to La Paz, Bolivia. In Santarem there was an excursion to lake Maica to view the meting of the waters, Rio Tapajos and Rio Amazonia. Amazing how 2 rivers can run parallel to each other and not mix for miles, one turquoise and the other muddy. It was a pleasant ride, breezy and shady, in bucket chairs. We saw dolphins (as already mentioned and documented, thanx, Dieter) and even a pink one! That is what ci came to see. In Boca Valeria we again went to the meeting of The Rio Amazonas to view the same phenomenon with the Rio Valeria and the Amazon. We tendered to a primative village with a craft market. There was some speculation by the skeptics that is was the San Blas all over again since there were quite a few small ferry boats on the dock. Others said it appeared genuine and they enjoyed all the children. They are the Cabacio people. You could get a pix of a child with a very elastic sloth for $1. a shot. Into Manaus yesterday. We are staying for 2 nights and wil leave later than planned. Manaus is a wonder. A once opulent city in the middle of the middle of nowhere. It has fallen on hard times but I was enthralled by the remaining architecture and Portuguese tilework in the square at the Opera House. The Opera House is Italinate with lots of wrought iron, velvet, Venetian chandelier and an opulent painted ceiling. The Ballroom in the Opera House has jacaranda inlay floors, booties required. Also in the square are fleshy shade trees that make a lovely retreat. The Rio Negro Palace, built at the end of the the 19th C. by a German Rubber Baron, is now a museum with a grand staircase. Then off to the Mercado Adolpho Lisboa. We first went to the food distribution/wholesale market where I have never seen anything like it - tracor trailers overflowing with unpackaged bananas, mangos, pineapple and all sorts of tropical local fruits. Into the fish market, currently housed in a wrought iron building designed by Eiffel and shipped from France. Exotic and some fearful looking fish! Besides the City Tour, there are also tours to the Meeting of the Waters (again) to witness the Rio Negro and the Amazon being joined by the Rio Solimoes, all together considered the start of the great Amazon. There are also evening excursion to look for Caiman and I will let someone who did it tell you about it. I only heard 2nd hand info. So, so far so good. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. We will leave Manaus later than planned because we are going to skip Anavilhanas. The Cap[t has decided that we will not have sufficient fresh water on board to allow us 4 more days on the Amazon. We will back off into 3 days until we can get to a fresh water supplier. The expected delivery in Anavilhaus is not going to happen. This is a very good trip. I only have 2 suggestions for Missed Opportunities for SS: There should be a naturalist/destination lecturer to tell us about the flora & fauna; SS should have reserved/purchased a block of seats at the Opera House for the evening concert by the Amazonia Philharmonic last evening. Some folks got there on their own but there were limited tickets available. Later.

TY, TY (Thank You, Thank You) Duct Tape, another wonderful robust (over 3 dozen sentences another DT record :)) post chock full of visuals, colorful descriptions of your Amazon trip. Did I say TY.

This is slightly repetitive because I began post before seeing Duct Tape's excellent descriptions.

We have had two overnights in Manaus. The second was added and the next port, Anavilhanas, was cancelled because of the need to conserve good water. The ship's evaporators cannot use the very muddy Amazon River water. The ship can leave Manaus on the Rio Negro with full tanks to last until reaching the ocean, where the evaporators can function.

Our tours here have been interesting and informative, with good guides. The Manaus Opera House (Teatro Amazonas) is spectacular. There happened to be an orchestral performance which some cruisers attended and said was excellent.

There is a "meeting of the waters" here, similar to the one at Santarem, with the dark Rio Negro flowing alongside the muddy Amazon. Saw more shallow water pink dolphins and deeper water gray dolphins.

The ship and crew remain first class. Very pleased by the food in all venues. Nice Thanksgiving turkey dinner. The CC people aboard seem to be having a great time. Haven't really noticed much in the way of bugs or nasty creatures on the excursions. But it is really hot and humid.

Gray Amazon dolphins

GrayAmazondolphins2.jpg

Muddy Amazon and clear Rio Negro water flowing side by side

AmazonandRioNegrawater.jpg

Manaus Opera House

ManausOperaHouse.jpg

Deck 5 lobby, nice place for boarding gangway

Deck5lobby.jpg

Ahhh, to relax after excursions

Bar1-1.jpg

More great pix, Dieter, thank you. Forgot to mention 2 things connected to the fresh water supply. The hot tubs have been empty for a few days and this AM, my butler came to ask me not to put any good white things in the laundry until we get to the sea. Can do. Nothing like roughing it on Silversea!!

The trip sounds wonderful, much more interesting than I had envisioned the Amazon to be. It sounds like you're having a great blend of luxury and adventure. Thanksgiving here was warm and sunny, but today it's snowing in Cleveland. So enjoy the heat, if not the humidity, and keep sending the great pictures. The ship looks so beautiful, and I love the leaping dolphins!

Deiter could you change your mind and join Sheila and I on the WIND on Jan 5th Capetown - Capetown. That way I can leave my Camera at home Don't know how you are training those Fish to pose in their jumping mode.

Sounds like everyone is having a great time, keep your Pics coming

Thanks Emtbsam/Victoria & Bob, Duct Tape, Wellseasoned/Dieter & Debbie for your continued Cloud Amazon posts, and pix.

We also join Emtbsam in wishing the special couple now on board the Cloud a happy 45th Wedding Anniversary (truly wonderful romantic, enduring love example for us all)

TY, TY (Thank You, Thank You) Duct Tape, another wonderful robust (over 3 dozen sentences another DT record :)) post chock full of visuals, colorful descriptions of your Amazon trip. Did I say TY.

Yes, WOW!!, another great report from duct tape. This much detail in reporting and writing could ruin her image and reputation. Love the details and pictures, etc. Keep up the good work!! Love it all.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 86,621 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

OK, guys, enough ribbing or I will stop commenting! Just kidding. Try and stop me! Great day in Paratins yesterday, much better than expected. Local Folkloric Shows can be disappointing but not this one. A very professional production by energetic and talented young people. It is an annual event in this area, the Boi Bumba Show, in July, I think. They says that people come from all over the Amazonian basin to watch and participate in the 3 days of activities. The show is similar in theme, color and rhythm to Carnival in Rio. Really enjoyable. Gave demerits to our Trivia Team members who didn't go. Saw the happy couple at their Anniversary Dinner in La Champagne last evening and a good time was had by all. Today we are in our last port of call, Alter do Chao. We are back on the Tapajos River and there are extensive, glorious, white sand beaches as far as the eye can see. Lots of people went ashore but didn't last too long because it is still really HOT! I did feel some dry air in the breeze this AM so we must be getting closer to the sea. It has been a great trip.

George says if plans do not change, he will reboard in late April so he should be here then. We are nearing the mouth of the Amazon and the air is drier and cooler already. Pasta buffet on deck today. Hot Rocks will reopen this evening. Liar's Club was a hoot last evening!

Archived