Tights on a Bahamas cruise?

Beezle82

Do you ladies think it would look weird to wear tights on a warm-weather cruise?

Bottom line; I would like to wear a shorter dress for formal night but I absolutely hate my legs. I would feel WAY more comfortable with a pair of tights on. Maybe it's just me, but I associate tights with colder weather and think they might look kind of silly in the Bahamas.

Thoughts??

I think you'd have to ask yourself if you wear tights at home during the warm part of summer. If not, I wouldn't do it on a cruise. If you aren't happy with your legs, why not look for some hosiery instead? Someone was talking on another thread about wearing colored hosiery, referring to sheer nylons with color. They aren't something I would wear myself, but they may be a great option for you.

I have spider veins. The majority are on my thighs. If I have a dress that is above the knee but not really short, I don't have any issues. Sometimes, an attempt to cover something we don't like is not the best answer.

Actually the tights I have almost ARE more like colored hosiery. They're quite sheer.

Honestly the more I think about it, I think it would probably be fine. It just seems that the norm is to go bare-legged. (And why wouldn't it be? :))

Wear what you want. Tights, sheer hose, knee-highs with giraffes and polka dots - whatever.

Anyone who minds doesn't matter.

JMHO.

I do agree that it's cool in the ship (AC) and usually not hot outside on deck, so it's not a big deal, temperature-wise. What's the diff - tights vs. pants vs. long ball gown, in reality.

After following the Fashion Board for a number of years, no matter WHAT someone asks about wearing, there are always those that say, "wear it."

However........;):)

I associate tights with colder weather and think they might look kind of silly in the Bahamas.

If the tights you have are quite sheer, I wouldn't call them tights. Are you from England where they call pantyhose tights?

Your legs are your legs, in tights or out of them. If you don't want to show your legs, wear a long dress or pants! Tights are "cold-weather" wear....yes..they'll look silly in the Caribbean.

You could tan your legs, either by the sun, or with a spray/lotion self-tanner...that helps those who think anyone is noticing their legs. I can tell you, when on vacation, folks simply do NOT notice others to the degree that you might think. Folks are only thinking of themeselves on vacation!

It might depend on where you are from; in some countries I think I have heard what we in the US call hose, or panty hose, referred to as tights. To me, the more sheer 'tights' , especially black would be fine with the right outfit.

I prefer not wearing hose anymore, but it's not a no-no. If like them or are more comfortable wearing them, go ahead.

my wife always wears really sheer tan colored pantyhose on cruises in the caribbean. she says it keeps her legs warm because its usually pretty cold at night inside the ship because of the air conditioning. she also feels it makes her legs look better.

Do you ladies think it would look weird to wear tights on a warm-weather cruise?

Bottom line; I would like to wear a shorter dress for formal night but I absolutely hate my legs. I would feel WAY more comfortable with a pair of tights on. Maybe it's just me, but I associate tights with colder weather and think they might look kind of silly in the Bahamas.

Thoughts??

As somebody said, tights/pantyhose/stockings do look elegant - they really finish off an outfit. We will be on an Asian cruise in January and I will be wearing pantyhose on formal nights, as I would here. To me, bare legs can look lovely when those legs are smooth and brown, but even on the young and beautiful stockinged legs do look a lot more classy than bare ones. When I lived in the tropics I still wore pantyhose to work and for going out. A big benefit is that when it is hot it's a lot easier to slip your feet into your shoes when they are encased in nylon/silk than when they are bare and sweaty.

The fact that you have raised the question really means that you really want to wear them but feel the need of reinforcement. I say go for it.:)

Archived