On Board Maintenance

dag144

We recently returned from a Transatlantic on the Ryndam which was doing into a short dry-dock on disembarkation. Lots of preparatory work was being done during the cruise including one very inconsiderate chore of a non-safety nature. During half of the 15 days, both at sea and in port, the crew was removing small tiles from many areas around the Lido pool. During half the cruise from about 4 pm until after 7pm this resulted in very annoying and loud banging reverberating through much of the forward portion of the Navigation deck. The ship is metal and, believe me, banging noises carry a long distance.

We were in Cabin 006 on the Navigation Deck which we picked because it under a quiet part of the Salon area. We complained but not much could be done. Two conclusions: (a) We should not have booked a cruise on a ship scheduled to go into dry-dock even for a short minor one: and (b) HAL could be more considerate by allowing sufficient dry-dock time for non-safety repairs that otherwise intrude on their guests enjoyment.

Evidently, the guest relations people thought that my complaints were warranted since we received a refundable credit without ever asking for it. I would rather have had a more enjoyable cruise than the money.:eek:

I had not been on a HAL ship for five or six months when I recently tried Canaletto on the Ryndam. The food was fine. We had dinner reservations for 8pm. By 8:15 the room was deserted. We were the only dinners (table for two). I imagine that the lack of business is caused by the imposition of a $10pp surcharge. I hope that HAL can make better use of the space with a venue that will attract more diners. Dining variety is not a HAL strong-point, so it would be nice to see a more popular alternative in Canaletto's space.

Thanks for posting your comments.

A warning for everyone considering a cruise immediately before a drydock.

Applies equally to '' post drydock'' sailings....Seems to be an indusrty-wide nasty habit. Out of service for xxx## of days in the yard....plus ''prep'' work before....and wrapping up things still unfinished after the drydock...simply because not enough time was allowed in the first place.

Never fails...:(

Cheers

We recently returned from a Transatlantic on the Ryndam which was doing into a short dry-dock on disembarkation. Lots of preparatory work was being done during the cruise including one very inconsiderate chore of a non-safety nature. During half of the 15 days, both at sea and in port, the crew was removing small tiles from many areas around the Lido pool. During half the cruise from about 4 pm until after 7pm this resulted in very annoying and loud banging reverberating through much of the forward portion of the Navigation deck. The ship is metal and, believe me, banging noises carry a long distance.

We were in Cabin 006 on the Navigation Deck which we picked because it under a quiet part of the Salon area. We complained but not much could be done. Two conclusions: (a) We should not have booked a cruise on a ship scheduled to go into dry-dock even for a short minor one: and (b) HAL could be more considerate by allowing sufficient dry-dock time for non-safety repairs that otherwise intrude on their guests enjoyment.

Evidently, the guest relations people thought that my complaints were warranted since we received a refundable credit without ever asking for it. I would rather have had a more enjoyable cruise than the money.:eek:

Yes we always try to avoid the cruises right before and after dry dock.

Yes we always try to avoid the cruises right before and after dry dock.

Yes indeed, something we had to learn the hard way ourselves! An immediately-from-dry-dock cruise was the worst cruise of our comparatively short cruising history. :(

That said, even that cruise was better than the best day working! ;)

Really, maintenance needs to be 24/365 on any well maintained ship and sometimes there are inconveniences. Certainly things like carpet replacement, painting, and machinery maintenance go on all the time, sometime with noise and sometimes with smells. They are pretty much unavoidable; I've seen them on everything from short cruises to ocean crossings and everything from Royal Caribbean to Crystal. If you want a nice ship, it can't be done in a biannual drydock, and it's largely the luck of the draw. Yes, it's more common before/after drydock and with lots of sea days but it's part of life.

Roy

Really, maintenance needs to be 24/365 on any well maintained ship and sometimes there are inconveniences. Certainly things like carpet replacement, painting, and machinery maintenance go on all the time, sometime with noise and sometimes with smells. They are pretty much unavoidable; I've seen them on everything from short cruises to ocean crossings and everything from Royal Caribbean to Crystal. If you want a nice ship, it can't be done in a biannual drydock, and it's largely the luck of the draw. Yes, it's more common before/after drydock and with lots of sea days but it's part of life.

Roy

I only wish that you had booked cabin 006, Ryndam, instead of me. Then you might think differently!

Applies equally to '' post drydock'' sailings....Seems to be an indusrty-wide nasty habit. Out of service for xxx## of days in the yard....plus ''prep'' work before....and wrapping up things still unfinished after the drydock...simply because not enough time was allowed in the first place.

Never fails...:(

Cheers

We are booked on the Oosterdam immediately after her dry dock, so guess we can look forward to work still being completed.

We are booked on the Oosterdam immediately after her dry dock, so guess we can look forward to work still being completed.

And you may very well end up being pleasantly surprised that the work really has been completed.

The two major examples of unfinished work that I recall reading about were the Prinsendam 2-3 years ago, and the Rotterdam following it's 11/09 drydock.

The continuing work on the Prinsendam was not a secret as being scheduled. It should have come as no surprise, as it had been published. Also, there were major reconstruction changes at that drydock.

The work on the Rotterdam was completed; it wasn't completed very well, and there were lots of problems. Those problems took months to correct. The work done in that drydock went far beyond the normal, though. There was major reconstruction of the ship done that time.

If your ship is going in for a standard, routine, drydock, with no major changes planned, you should expect the first cruise following completion will sail just fine.

Relax and enjoy the anticipation.

And you may very well end up being pleasantly surprised that the work really has been completed.

The two major examples of unfinished work that I recall reading about were the Prinsendam 2-3 years ago, and the Rotterdam following it's 11/09 drydock.

The continuing work on the Prinsendam was not a secret as being scheduled. It should have come as no surprise, as it had been published. Also, there were major reconstruction changes at that drydock.

The work on the Rotterdam was completed; it wasn't completed very well, and there were lots of problems. Those problems took months to correct. The work done in that drydock went far beyond the normal, though. There was major reconstruction of the ship done that time.

If your ship is going in for a standard, routine, drydock, with no major changes planned, you should expect the first cruise following completion will sail just fine.

I know of the Rotterdam and Veendam drydocks and subsequent "issues", but what happened with Prinsendam? I'm having a "senior moment"! Thanks, Ruth...

... but what happened with Prinsendam?

That was the drydock when the new cabins were added on the aft. IIRC, it was that work that was scheduled to be continued after the ship returned to service.

I don't recall what else was being worked on during the cruise, but my memory is that there was something else. It was the circle South America cruise, and I believe there was a "live from" thread during that cruise.

Thanks for the encouraging thought. We are going on the Noordam on 21st April, immediately after her drydock.

Archived