Brilliance Review

lovelife

BACKGROUND

We are a mature couple on our 24th cruise -- 16th on Royal Caribbean. Embarkation was extremely quick and smooth.

CABIN

Cabin 8102 was a standard E1 but had a huge deep balcony with two chairs and a table. We asked our attendant for two lounge chairs and he said he would speak to his supervisor. He brought only one. When music was playing in the Centrum we could hear it but it did not bother us. We often heard voices outside our door as our cabin was the first from the elevator area. Not bad and it wouldn't deter me from booking it again for the wonderful balcony. Didn't get our luggage until late. Had a great cabin attendant who met our every need and left some darn cute towel animals.

8206196253_62fcca9d7c_b.jpg

Cabin 8102 by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8198334530_1c8c6fe9e7_b.jpg

8102 Balcony by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8206197123_4e72883403_b.jpg

How Cute by KakalinaP, on Flickr

DINING

We booked six months in advance along with our traveling companions and requested our normal small table at early dining. We have gotten a table for four with no problem on all 12 of our cruises with our companions but when checking our table on this one, the four of us had been assigned a table for ten. No amount of pleading did any good. The first night we had to sit at the table for ten. Only one other couple showed that night and they were lovely but who knows who the other four may have been. We were assigned a table for four the second night in a small side room (where Diamond breakfast was served) separate from the regular dining room. Service was fair and there was a group of around 20 who took over the room with their unruly behavior; each one tried shouting louder than the other. We could not have a conversation for the disturbance in the room and everyone in there was really POd. We endured this another night and then asked to be changed to my time dining which was denied. Our only recourse was to eat in the Windjammer which is a shame because dinner in the dining room is one thing we really enjoy on a cruise. We had the new dining room menus and everything we ate was good. As always, we really loved our meal in Portofino one night. It was divine. Windjammer food was very good and varied. Seaview Cafe food was very good (I definitely wanted to eat here one more time before they are no more after Radiance class redos).

8198352426_d29ea950e6_b.jpg

New Menu by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207284976_50d2ef4f73_b.jpg

Fruit Carving by KakalinaP, on Flickr

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT

The ship activities were the same as always. They really need to come up with something new. There was plenty to do thank goodness as we had four days at sea including departure day. Enjoyed a comedian and juggler and the Drifters tribute was great. I enjoyed watching guests perform belly and Bollywood dancing in the Centrum.

More to come...........

Continued.....

SHIP CONDITION

The ship was clean and crew members were always smiling and helpful.

8207286182_c49414bd7c_b.jpg

Brilliance Centrum by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8206194253_e342f79019_b.jpg

Brilliance Solarium by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8198333512_1b4053fdbb_b.jpg

Sports Deck by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8198335024_41cea87688_b.jpg

Solarium at Night by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8206195381_7478340b54_b.jpg

Deck Five by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8206332559_84b6615e2d_b.jpg

Always Busy by KakalinaP, on Flickr

More to come.....

Continued.....

PORTS

St. Kitts: This was a new port for us. We took an RCL excursion to Nevis which included ferry to Nevis, a tour of the island by van, lunch at Lime Beach Bar (yum), and some time on the beach. We were supposed to board a boat right from the beach for our return to the ship but instead we were taken back to the ferry. I asked but couldn't get a direct answer as to why the excursion did not go as described. It was a good trip.

8206332421_6957c7f3a0_b.jpg

Brillince in St. Kitts by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207286826_292376611c_b.jpg

Nevis by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207287032_8280a93584_b.jpg

Montpelier Inn, Nevis (Where Princess Di Stayed) by KakalinaP, on Flickr

St. Maarten: We took the water taxi to the town beach and paid $15 per couple for two loungers and an umbrella for the day and two rum punches. Pretty good deal and the water there is delightful.

8207284738_98c553b086_b.jpg

St. Maarten Town Beach by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207285302_7347820954_b.jpg

Leaving St. Maarten by KakalinaP, on Flickr

Continued.....

St. Thomas: I love St. Thomas although they have some very unfriendly people. We returned to a favorite beach - Magens Bay via taxi/van. Spent a few hours in this heavenly place. I could surely stay on this beach for months. It is really wonderful.

8197255471_52d6da8cf1_b.jpg

Magens Bay, St. Thomas by KakalinaP, on Flickr

Tortola: This was also a new port for us. Just off the ship are a bunch of flea market type booths. We walked a short distance to town but didn't see too much that looked interesting. Got an open air taxi/truck for a hair-raising trip around the island. With so many steep hills and curves we were kept on the edge of our seats and holding on for dear life. There were many quite beautiful overlooks and we ended up with 30 minutes to spend at Cane Garden Bay. It did not matter that we didn't wear swimsuits as there was not an inch of space left on that beach. I had read on these boards it is the beach to visit but I found it just flooded with bodies and not a beach I would return to.

8206200531_4e5226b7f2_b.jpg

Tortola Arrival by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207290700_263b28a9c1_b.jpg

Downtown Tortola by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8206332797_55f30d453e_b.jpg

Beautiful Tortola by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207290846_00f1ec0a33_b.jpg

British Virgin Islands by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8207291056_785e9cb12e_b.jpg

Cane Garden Bay, Tortola by KakalinaP, on Flickr

More to come.....

Continued.....

Tortola Continued:

8206201233_d2962fe7fe_b.jpg

Tortola Overlook by KakalinaP, on Flickr

The British Virgin Islands are simply breathtaking.

San Juan: This is where the cruise ended. Debarkation was great as we waited until the last group left since we had opted to stay two nights in San Juan before heading home. I won Caribe Hilton on Priceline at a great rate. The lobby is lovely and there are some nice shops, some restaurants we did not try, and a Starbuck's. The grounds are very nice with a great pool and a fair little beach. The hotel is near absolutely nothing. We were assigned a room in an old section called Lagoon Villas that seemed like a half mile walk from the lobby. The hallways were dirty and hot and it was so difficult to get to our room we got lost every time we tried to find it. There was a small filthy balcony overlooking a bunch of trash. The room itself was very nice and the beds were fairly comfy but the bathroom smelled and WAS moldy. Perhaps the newer section of rooms is nicer but I would not stay here again or recommend it. We went to Old San Juan and walked quite a bit and also took the free trolley. Had breakfast in a little cafe called Caficultura. What a gem. Delicious food and the best caramel latte of my life. Do try it.

Overall we had a great cruise as always. The dining glitch was quite annoying but we make the most of whatever comes our way and of course will continue to sail our favorite cruise line - Royal Caribbean. Did I mention we love cruising?!?

8207291472_d20a89ef59_b.jpg

Final Evening from Balcony by KakalinaP, on Flickr

8197262881_fa8f01c102_b.jpg

San Juan by KakalinaP, on Flickr

That's All Folks:)

Loving it!!

Thanks for the Tortola info. That is the island we just plan on getting off and streching our legs and hopefully some close to the ship shopping!!

Some folks have mentioned some smells on the ship. Did you encounter any from possible plumning issues.:confused:

San Juan: This is where the cruise ended. Debarkation was great as we waited until the last group left since we had opted to stay two nights in San Juan before heading home. I won Caribe Hilton on Priceline at a great rate. The lobby is lovely and there are some nice shops, some restaurants we did not try, and a Starbuck's. The grounds are very nice with a great pool and a fair little beach. The hotel is near absolutely nothing. We were assigned a room in an old section called Lagoon Villas that seemed like a half mile walk from the lobby. The hallways were dirty and hot and it was so difficult to get to our room we got lost every time we tried to find it. There was a small filthy balcony overlooking a bunch of trash. The room itself was very nice and the beds were fairly comfy but the bathroom smelled and WAS moldy. Perhaps the newer section of rooms is nicer but I would not stay here again or recommend it.

Yes, I agree! We stayed way out in those rooms too. They called it an "upgrade". I think it is part of their abandoned timeshare project. The balcony view is of the lagoon and trash, construction mess and unfinished buildings.

We were only there one night. We like the Marriot better, because there are things to walk to. I don't think we would stay at the Caribe Hilton again.

Tortola sort of reminds me of Hawaii. It is really pretty, on our cruise we only visited until 2PM

Thanks for you review, very interesting. :)

You should have stuck with your original table....probably would have been more lovely people!

I guess we've either been lucky, or we just get along with everyone.....we've yet to have a "bad" set of tablemates! Tablemates are the highlight of our day!

Thank you for the review. We will be in your room (8102) in February for our first B2B. We were expecting lounge chairs on the balcony since the Serenade had them. We are also traveling with another couple and have always been able to get a table for 4. Your review was excellent and provided me with good, pertinent info. and will keep me from being disappointed. This is only our fourth cruise and we loved the Serenade so I anticipate we will love the Brilliance, too.

Your pictures are fantastic. Again, thanks so much.

Thank you for you "Brilliant" review...we will be on her in March and I read anything I can about her. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Great pics! Tortola looks wonderful...we may just have to book another cruise to check it out! Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I agree! We stayed way out in those rooms too. They called it an "upgrade". I think it is part of their abandoned timeshare project. The balcony view is of the lagoon and trash, construction mess and unfinished buildings.

We were only there one night. We like the Marriot better, because there are things to walk to. I don't think we would stay at the Caribe Hilton again.

Tortola sort of reminds me of Hawaii. It is really pretty, on our cruise we only visited until 2PM

Thanks for you review, very interesting. :)

Next time, Marriott it is!! Thanks.

You should have stuck with your original table....probably would have been more lovely people!

I guess we've either been lucky, or we just get along with everyone.....we've yet to have a "bad" set of tablemates! Tablemates are the highlight of our day!

Yep, we probably should have stayed where we were. Hindsight...........

Thank you for the review. We will be in your room (8102) in February for our first B2B. We were expecting lounge chairs on the balcony since the Serenade had them. We are also traveling with another couple and have always been able to get a table for 4. Your review was excellent and provided me with good, pertinent info. and will keep me from being disappointed. This is only our fourth cruise and we loved the Serenade so I anticipate we will love the Brilliance, too.

Your pictures are fantastic. Again, thanks so much.

Enjoy the great balcony! DH slept out there in the lounger one night. If there are no loungers do ask Imade to get them.

Thank you for you "Brilliant" review...we will be on her in March and I read anything I can about her. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Great pics! Tortola looks wonderful...we may just have to book another cruise to check it out! Happy Thanksgiving!

I also read everything I can on any ship I am sailing. Enjoy your time on her. Our itinerary was wonderful.

You know, I forgot about the smell. Yes, many times we encountered that sewer smell on decks four and five aft just outside the dining room! Nasty.

Thank you for the wonderful review and pictures!

I am booked on the Transatlantic in April but now I am quite concerned about the sewage smell on deck 4. My cabin is mid ship but on deck 4 :(

I have emailed my travel agent to see what he can recommend. It would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I am very sensitive to smells. :(

I am booked on the Transatlantic in April but now I am quite concerned about the sewage smell on deck 4. My cabin is mid ship but on deck 4 :(

I have emailed my travel agent to see what he can recommend. It would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I am very sensitive to smells. :(

I am booked for January and have this same concern so I am reading every forum and member review posted. My cabin is on deck 8 and that deck also seems to be getting a bad review.

see below from a member review:

Very clean and did not show its age but there was an awful odor around decks 4 and 8 that was disturbing but I never lingered around those areas, our room on 7 was not affected.

All one can hope is it was passengers flushing things they should not and not an actual plumbing problem.

Archived