Haleakala Crater question

CleoV

Has anyone done the Haleakala Crater excursion with POA? I've been searching for info but not finding any as regards how high you go (up to the top, at 10,000 feet?), and if the excursion destination is high enough to trigger altitude sickness. It appears you do go up to 10,000ft, so I'm curious how this has affected visitors.

We are considering this tour, but would be grateful for any info.

TIA!

Most trips go to the top of the mountain. Triggering attitude sickness is a factor of an individual's tolerance for altitude, and fitness, along with any medical conditions which could make you more susceptible. There isn't a pre-set level that triggers altitude sickness.

When I was young, and in great shape, I didn't notice altitude until above 14K ft. Recently have been over 10K a couple of times, and am not young and in shape any more. I noticed the altitude.

We did this excursion several years ago. The bus stops on the way to the top and lets you out at a visitors center for about 10 or 15 minutes as I remember. This is for folks to acclimate to the altitude. The bus then proceeds up to the top. No one on our bus seemed to suffer from the altitude.

As CruiserBruce says, altitude sickness is difficult to predict in any individual. But I don't think you'll be up there long enough for symptons to set in. I have traveled to 11,500 feet...many of us in the group became ill, but not until well into the night. I thought I'd be fine, since I'd been at 10,000 ft. frequently with no problems...but I wasn't.

And although it goes against common sense, there does not seem to be a correlation between fitness and becoming physically ill from high altitudes.

hi we just did this trip with Roberts and had a fantastic time and it was a beautiful clear sunny day. The coach took us up to the visitor centre and then we had free time to wander up to the top of the crater which had stunning views. Altitude can be a problem but I think everyone reacts differently.

This is one excursion I would definately recommend.

Has anyone done the Haleakala Crater excursion with POA? I've been searching for info but not finding any as regards how high you go (up to the top, at 10,000 feet?), and if the excursion destination is high enough to trigger altitude sickness. It appears you do go up to 10,000ft, so I'm curious how this has affected visitors.

We are considering this tour, but would be grateful for any info.

TIA!

You go up to just over 10,000 feet and yes you "might" be affected by the altitude - but full-blown altitude sickness is unlikely. We drove up and stopped at the visitor's center to get used to the change in altitude - it helps. I have asthma and a heart condition so when we reached the top I was a little short of breath but no extreme discomfort. If you have a medical condition just take it easy - I sat and rested a lot at the top. My husband was just fine and our friend who has MS was just fine.

Thanks for the replies! I know it affects everyone differently, and doesn't have to do with age, medical conditions or fitness, so it's very helpful to hear from those who have been.

I'm quite sensitive to changes, and can't take altitude sickness medications, but I did wonder if being there for a short time would make people less apt to have problems (other than shortness of breath). It sounds like you're not up there all that long. Is that correct? How long did you spend above 5000 ft?

Just remember, it's COLD up there! Definitely bring warm clothes for this! Especially, if you're doing the sunrise thing....FREEZING and WINDY! We were up there for about 45 mins. or so....watched the sunrise and then toured the little informational area...then headed down for breakfast!!

People can be affected at that altitude. I live at 7000 ft. I see tourists all the time complaining of headaches and dizziness and lightheadedness. And, no, they weren't consuming adult beverages;)

You are doing an extreme altitude change in a very short time period - sea level to 10,000.

Here's what I always tell our guests who come to visit:

1) Drink water!!! Over hydrate!!! Drink more than you usually do.

2) no alcohol. Don't drink AT ALL the day before you go.

3) bring your favorite headache med. Asprin, Tylenol, Advil, Alleve, whatever you use.

I've also heard that carbo-loading may help. So, have that bread, pastry, bagel, potatoes, for breakfast...

Excellent suggestions regarding warm dress. We would not have thought to pack anything warm, so thank you for that. :)

Will certainly bring the Advil along. Good suggestion. We'd really like to do this excursion, but would like to do it as comfortably as possible if altitude does prove bothersome.

I agree with slidergirl, we lived in Santa Fe for several years. It is 7000 ft. Initially, Karen had a bit of a problem, but she adapted. Since then we have been up high (9,000 ft +) several times for short visits and it hasn't been a factor.

It can be similar to what some folks experience on board ship with motion sickness. Some are affected, many aren't.

It is difficult to predict. Fortunately, your time up there is not long, so you should not have too many problems while up high. You might, however, experience some discomfort later.

Jim

We sailed on the POA November 10-17th and we booked NCL's excursion for the Haleakala Sunrise Tour. We had the best time and neither one of us experienced any problems with the altitude. The elevation is 10,231 ft. (I've got the picture to prove it - Lol) It is so beautiful when the sun comes up and we were fortunate enough the clouds moved blew away so we were able to see and get some beautiful pictures. You have 3 different opportunities to take pictures. At the crater, at an observation area, and a final shot of the mountain and you can also get a shot of the mountain going down to the ocean. It's not just cool up there, it is downright COLD !!! We were thermal shirts, t-shirt, heavy, hooded sweatshirt, gloves and ear muffs. And my hands were still freezing !! So be sure and pack some warm items or you will be miserable. I highly recommend this excursion as it truly is breathtaking :)

Last year when we were close to the summit I had a tube of lip gloss that I was about to open but I noticed it was ballooning out so I didn't open it. It probably would have exploded on everyone if I had opened it.

I did get a little lightheaded at the summit, the only reason I know this is because I could no longer remember the other guests names the higher we got. We were only up there around 45 minutes and the symptoms resolved as soon as we went lower in elevation.

I would go again in a heartbeat. It is so beautiful at the summit! I thought I could hear the voice of God (maybe it was from lightheadedness), but it was a special, magical/spiritual experience. You will not regret it.

Has anyone done the sunset at the top? We can't do the sunrise, but I have heard that the sunset is also spectacular. We are renting a car so will do it on our own. I would like to make some stops along the way, so any suggestions are appreciated. Also, how is the drive down the mountain after dark?

Also - as a Respiratory Therapist I would recommend anyone with conditions such as COPD, Pulmonary Hypertension, severe heart conditions to NOT do this tour!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and the altitude was absolutely no problem at all. We opted to hire a car in case it was uncomfortable (didn't want to inconvenience anyone, but also didn't want to be 'stuck'). We could tell the air was slightly thinner, but felt no ill affects whatsoever. In fact, we found it quite bracing!

Loved our tour up to the summit, and would recommend it as a must-do experience. We did take jackets but it was so warm at the top we couldn't wear them until the clouds rolled in. Dropped 10 degrees when that happened and jackets were handy, but had about 4 hours of blissful sunshine and warmth.

Has anyone done the sunset at the top? We can't do the sunrise, but I have heard that the sunset is also spectacular. We are renting a car so will do it on our own. I would like to make some stops along the way, so any suggestions are appreciated. Also, how is the drive down the mountain after dark?

Also - as a Respiratory Therapist I would recommend anyone with conditions such as COPD, Pulmonary Hypertension, severe heart conditions to NOT do this tour!

LOL, in January 2010 we took the sunset tour with Roberts. This was three months post 3CABG. I started to get ill at 5000 ft. As it turned out, I had phrenic nerve damage from the surgery. Only had 53% total lung capacity. It was miserable. The following year we did the day time tour but this time I brought an oxygen concentrator, with no issues. Next day we were in Hilo and did the Mauna Kea summit also without problems (summit is over 13000 ft).

To the OP, another thing to be prepared for is wind, the little gift shop is just that - little. It's about the only place you can get out of the elements if it is windy. If you are trying to get some photos, the best are at the railings unless you are going down into the crater.

Silly question, but I'm asking it anyway. Does it matter if someone has high blood pressure and goes to the top? I would love to do this excursion but I'm worried about the fiance, if it will impact his high BP? Thanks! Happy holidays!

Not silly at all. I have high bp and had no problems at all (I do control it with diet and it was 113/70 before we left, but you know how it is when you eat on a cruise ship!). However, I wouldn't take one person's word for it. Perhaps ask his doctor, just to be sure.

If you are consistent with taking your meds; and you are not having significant problems; then you should be OK at the top.

Lots and lots of people have BP problems and they don't die up there. Think about what you eat, take your meds and take some pictures to make everyone jealous!!

Jim

Silly question, but I'm asking it anyway. Does it matter if someone has high blood pressure and goes to the top? I would love to do this excursion but I'm worried about the fiance, if it will impact his high BP? Thanks! Happy holidays!

Does he have it under control? I would suspect it will rise a little but if he's under control he should be able to handle it. If on the other hand he's not under control then the question is how out of control is it?

Oh...and lots of water. As much as you can possibly drink and still be comfortable. We started it the morning before we went up the crater and took two massive bottles of water with us that day, then kept at it that evening and we're certain it helped. It should also help with the bp (I'm assuming he's drinking a LOT of water anyway, to help keep his sodium down).

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I will arrive at Laihaina cruise port 1/25/13. Wonder about the length of time it takes to visit the Park to the summit by car. We'll probably have about 8 hrs with enough time to board back on ship. Is it better to take a tour? Please advice!

Archived