What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

cd8d1863e9d7bab6c8f2d836700e5bf7_ra,w403,h403_pa,w403,h403.jpeg

They even have them in camo now, :) not my choice, but there are battery operated ones as well, I think they're called "relief bands".

Ah. My mind wasn't thinking about sea sickness prevention/relief.

I forgot the most important item of all:

Germ-X individually wrapped disinfecting wipes.

I use them to wipe my table in the buffet area before eating. Have you ever taken a look at those rags that are used to wipe the tables? Yuck....

You and me both! And not only the dining room tables, but the fold out trays on the airline...doesn't matter what class you sit in, germs are everywhere. As soon as we sit down, our ritual is to wipe down everything in our reach, LOL! When on the cruise ship, if we hit the buffet, we'll wipe down the table and our hands after touching the serving spoons, etc. They get you to sanitize before entering the dining area - but then what? :confused:

I've only read a few pages so sorry if this is a repeat but I wanted to post it before I forget.

If you have a smart phone, either Droid or iPhone, there are "White noise" apps so you don't have to bring an extra appliance. They are really flexible, you can choose your "sound" and how long and loud you want it to play for.

I also have a flashlight app on my smart phone which I move to the main screen when I travel so I can turn it on easily. it's VERY VERY bright (although it goes through batteries quickly) but if you need bright light NOW for a short period of time, it's great.

Cell phones can be really expensive on board - so we turn off the connectivity, but the white noise, flashlight and other apps still. So before buying a new "thing" (unless you really like buying new things :) ) look for a free or cheap app for your phone.

Oh, and bring a smile. Use it often. You will be amazed how much nicer your cruise will be if you smile at people. :):):)

Shampoo works great to handwash items, only need a tiny bit. I wrap a length of duct tape around a pen to have just in case. No need to bring large roll. Plenty of ziploc bags and a couple trash bags. Highlighter and post it notes. Cheap little sewing kit, which contains tiny scissors. I make my own little medical kit with things I normally use, including generic Bonine.

A few clothespins to use for curtains and/or to hang wet items. Smallest umbrella, mini mini...LOL! Shoes that I have broken in...no new shoes to get blisters from!

Thin carry bag that can be used to tote home souvenirs or other things, but will fold up in suitcase until needed.

Copies of credit cards/both sides. Copies of passport to carry with me...original in safe. Copy has numbers if you need them. Copies of driver's license.

Old credit card if the safe is one that requires using magnet strip card. Latest ones use code you put in, and don't require a card....or that is what I have experienced anyway.

Lanyard, or you can buy one on ship.

Small $1 flashlight to go to bathroom at night, to not disturb anyone. I have tiny alarm clock I use by bedside and it will show time when you touch it.

Visor and hat, top of head can get sunburned quickly using a visor!

These are all small items. With my toiletries I bring only travel size, or make my own travel size using my products converted into little bottles.

Everyone figures out what they use and don't use after a few cruises. I have taken things that I never even touched during a cruise. I haven't ever forgotten anything that I felt was a necessity though. After all, at a port or in the ship's shop you can get what you need, at a price.

• 3 weeks later...
Luggage tags!!

Last cruise DH's color tag had come off during debarkation, and they put it with the rest of the unidentified bags. Because he didn't have a luggage tag on the bag, they didn't want to give it to him when he finally found it - they wanted proof it was his bag first (I thought that was odd since the color tag pick up is kind of an unmanned free for all anyway). We usually have copies of our passport id page in our luggage, but for some reason this bag didn't get it's copy before we left. They finally gave his bag to him when he realized he had torn off an old airline luggage tag with his name on it and stuffed it in the side pocket. All our bags have those plastic tags now just in case.

We always put a piece of bright colored duct tape on our suitcases (hot pink). Sure makes it easy to spot in the terminal. Also put bright! colored ribbon on all the zipper pulls. Can spot it no matter which way the suitcase is turned plus it makes it easier to open the suitcase.

Put a copy of your itinerary in each suitcase and put your name on it with your phone numbers. Helpful to identify luggage and useful if your luggage gets separated from you.

We always put a piece of bright colored duct tape on our suitcases (hot pink). Sure makes it easy to spot in the terminal. Also put bright colored ribbon on all the zipper pulls. Can spot it no matter which way the suitcase is turned plus it makes it easier to open the suitcase.

Put a copy of your itinerary in each suitcase and put your name on it with your phone numbers. Helpful to identify luggage and useful if your luggage gets separated from you.

Oh! I forgot to add that I always take a roll of the ribbon with me in case they get torn off. I use bright colored striped ribbons. Use it on my backpack too - for the ease of zipper pulling.

Call your credit card company and tell them your location(s) and dates. That way they won't stop them if they see a charge from a "strange" place.

+1 on this.

However, the last time I did this in April almost every one of my CC companies told me I could now do this online instead of calling them on the phone. Haven't tried it yet -- but since I pay all my CC bills online and since CC companies are always looking to save money by reducing person-to-person time it makes sense.

Hope this helps -- that way if you FORGET to call before you go, you can theoretically still do it from the ship's internet.

• 2 months later...
I also have Ziplocks on my cruise packing list... we started collecting shells from all of the beaches we've been to and we layer them in a giant glass vase. Better to put them in ziplocks than just having them roll around in the bags!

Ann

Be careful bringing home shells from the beaches ashore. We had collected several types of shells at a Cozumel beach. We listed it on our customs form and were stopped when we departed. They kept all shells and said if we hadn't have claimed them on our form it would have been a $50 PER SHELL fine!:eek:

That was also the customs that said we could pass through with our 7 bottles of booze (also listed on form) since they took our shells away. :p lol they were really nice about the whole thing.

Edited by cloverseeker
spell check lol

instead of static guard take sheets of Bounce Fabric softener rub it on the clothing and "voila" no more static. This also makes a good mosquito and insect repellent when rubbed on your face and body. Just put a few in a zip lock. Also can put some in your suitcase to make your clothes smell nice and hang one in the closet to take care of musty smells.

Edited by Magico
mispelled

I've carried a small pair of folding scissors in my travel bag for years and years. And, I believe I have used them on each and every trip. I googled and found them at the vermontcountrystore.com for $6.95. I've bought a look alike pair but they don't work as well. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/For_The_Home/Home_Essentials/Home_Accents_/Folding_Scissors/29675

instead of static guard take sheets of Bounce Fabric softener rub it on the clothing and "voila" no more static. This also makes a good mosquito and insect repellent when rubbed on your face and body. Just put a few in a zip lock. Also can put some in your suitcase to make your clothes smell nice and hang one in the closet to take care of musty smells.

If you get the unscented Bounce, it also works as a good temporary hair smoother. My stylist taught me that trick. If the hair is a tad flyaway or static-y, just smooth the Bounce down you hair, like you are combing it. It does help!!!

One of the handiest things we bring is a very lt-wt collapsible hamper--the super cheap kind you get at the dollar stores. It has mesh sides and folds very flat, weighs almost nothing. Great to put in the closet so you can just toss dirty clothes in and not mess with having a laundry bag.

Linda (and C. D.)