What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Some really good info on this thread. Kinda fun to start a packing list now before we go. Then again, some things are TMI.

Many things I won't compromise on, in neglecting to bring. I agree with the "good attitude" post, and sanitizers, wipes and spray. :)

Edited by Mermen

SetSailPass ... check

Passport ... check

Cash ... check

All the rest is incidentals :p

Good list. I totally agree except, I'd change cash to Amex and my Lysol and I'm out the door. lol

Just Bryan :(__________________

MENATSEA@AOL.COM

Legend 04/03 Coral Princess 10/03 Zenith 01/04 Brilliance of the Seas 04/04 Brilliance of the Seas 11/04 Golden Princess 05/05 Legend 05/05 Century 10/05 Voyager of the seas 10/05 Millie 12/05 Millie 12/05 Constellation 4/06 Constellation 4/06 Brilliance of the Seas 9/06 Legend 10/06 Island Princess 10/06 Insignia 3/07 Star Princess 09/07 Century 11/07 Star Princess 12/07 Coral Princess 12/07 Summit 3/08 Grand Princess 4/08 Caribbean Princess 10/08 Millie 12/08 Azamara 4/09 Island 6/09 Emerald Princess 7/09 Sapphire Princess 10/09 Sapphire Princess 10/09 Crown Princess 1/10 Diamond Princess 4/10 Crown Princess 7/10 Century 10/10 Mariner of the Seas 1/16-2/15 Round the horn QE2 3/11 CARRIBBEAN Princess 5/11 GEM 2/12,SUNBOAT lll, NILE, 3/17/12,ALLURE OTS 4/22/12,CARIB PRINCESS 5/3/12QUEEN MARY 2 6/10/12, SUN PRINCESS 7/8/12, QUEEN VIC 10/17/12 STAR PRINCESS, 12/05/12 ROUND THE HORNEQUINOX 4/15/13 T/A , ROYAL PRINCESS 6/9/13, ROYAL PRINCESS 6/14/13, OCEAN PRINCESS 7/29/13

We bring a shower curtain, when we cruise on Princess, to conceal our clothing and personal belongings, since Princess cabins have an closest area that does not have any doors and it is near the cabin door.

I pack a lightweight toothbrush holder that stands inside the medicine cabinet.

I keep a checklist on my computer - things to do before leaving home (stop mail and newspaper, feed birds, water flowers, etc.) and things to take on whatever trip - it can be changed for any trip. I print the list and keep it on the kitchen bar several days before leaving. I also put a box in the MBR closet - several weeks before our trips - to toss in small things that I don't want to forget to pack.

I also use plastic grocery bags to wrap shoes in to keep from soiling our clothes - one shoe per bag. The bags can slide into any small vacant space.

Have enjoyed reading all the other suggestions. Thanks

One thing I do to prevent overpacking is include a dozen plastic hangers. I get them at the thrift store for about .69 per dozen. They take up a little room in the suitcase, I use them on the cruise (so I never have to ask the steward for extras) and then I leave them behind when I go. It has provided a little room for souvenirs.

The stewards are always pleased to get them because so many people ask for extra hangers.

arm band floaties for bottles coming back home

Purex 3-n-1 strips

roll of quarters

sleep mask for afternoon naps

ziplock baggies

extra luggage---check 2 bags come home with 3:D

FYI: On the newer ships (Magic, Breeze) you don't need to bring quarters anymore. There is a swipe unit for S&S cards. You swipe your card, tell it which washer or dryer and done.

I started a list while on my last cruise, which was my first in 15 years. Alarm clock is a must. We had an interior cabin and almost overslept a port day in Key West. Another would be my table tennis equipment. Carnival had paddles and balls on the first few days, but I guess people never returned them so we couldn't play the 2nd half of the cruise.

Lots of great ideas here! A few things I've learned not to leave home without are a surge protector (offers up to six outlets and has never been questioned by services or security) and granola bars & beef jerky to pack for excursions.

My DH always carries his backpack with a camelback built in it. We pack it with ice from the lido deck that morning, add a bottle of water and we have clean, cold water all day!

• 4 weeks later...

11 pages of basically useless junk. If you brought even 1/10 of the stuff listed on these pages, you would have to go naked most of the time as there would be no room for any clothes. Also, you would be so far above your 50# limit that your baggage costs would be as much as your cruise costs.

DON

11 pages of basically useless junk. If you brought even 1/10 of the stuff listed on these pages, you would have to go naked most of the time as there would be no room for any clothes. Also, you would be so far above your 50# limit that your baggage costs would be as much as your cruise costs.

DON

I've never gone over the 50lb limit yet, coming or going home. Most of these items take up little to no room.

I wouldn't bring a serving tray, though.:cool:

We bring a shower curtain, when we cruise on Princess, to conceal our clothing and personal belongings, since Princess cabins have an closest area that does not have any doors and it is near the cabin door.

WOW! Really! You are kidding, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pris993

WOW! Really! You are kidding, right?

Never heard that before about princess.. That's really... Odd!

DON

Remember these are all just suggestions of what others find useful. What you get out of it is up to the individual reader..

If you find it useless.. Then that's your opinion and your entitled to it!

Personally, i got a few great ideas!!

Thanks all who have posted!!

DON

11 pages of "useless junk"? They why bother reading all 11 pages, was it to sit back and judge or be critical? If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, go somewhere else with the negative attitude.

I appreciate the ideas, as do "11 pages" worth of cruisers. Thanks everyone for your ideas!:)

I love your idea of the camelback backpack for ICE. it sounds great. ONE thing i would add is LEMONS so the water would taste yummy!

(Quote from "BLUES PARENTS" follows....)

and granola bars & beef jerky to pack for excursions.

My DH always carries his backpack with a camelback built in it. We pack it with ice from the lido deck that morning, add a bottle of water and we have clean, cold water all day!

Edited by trinaM

I use to have a packing list on my desktop but ex DH got the desktop and will not share my spreadsheet. LOL This thread has come in very handy. It has reminded me of several things I pack and might have forgotten. I do have a box with just cruise stuff in but since it has been 4 years I need to go thru my box and throw some stuff out.

I do bring silly sunglasses and beads to wear. Sometimes that just makes things more interesting. I have my own light up drinking glasses/shot glass etc. I will bring glow items sometimes if I am cruising with my friends. I bring something to put on my door. I know there's a thread on here and a lot of people seemed to get a bit emotional over the door sign thing. I do it for the fun of it and it really does help me find my room. I know that the rooms are numbers and in order, etc,,, but sometimes more fun to look for your sign that you have made. It also helps celebrate the cruise.

DON

There has actually been quite a lot of really useful information in this post which I am sure a lot of passengers have really appreciated.

Hi guys

this is probably the wrong section for a 1st post but it sort of fits... "Wear a distinctive item of clothing as you board the ship " ... that way when you are trying to find your cruise boarding photo amongst the 1000's of others.. it's a bit easier! 9 days away from our 2nd Celebrity Eclipse sailing (and 4th cruise in total)... getting excited !

Cheers

We prefer using liquid hand soap to bar soap, so I bring that and throw away whatever is left over at the end of the cruise. The Dollar Tree (or any dollar store, probably) sells your shoe organizers, pop-up hampers, night lights, etc. and you never feel bad about leaving them behind. Our reading lights double as night time flashlights. These suggestions have been fun to read!