What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

I bring my favorite LARGE insulated travel mug. It is great for filling with ice and drink for lounging by the pool or taking to the library or anywhere else on board. Also great for large coffee. Keeps beverages hot/cold with a sufficient supply on hand. The tiny glasses and cups available from the dining rooms allow the ice to melt and coffee to get cold immediately.:)

I have started bringing a nightlight (wallflower) from Bath and Body Works. The room then is not totally dark at night and it smells good!

I also bring a multi-pronged outlet plug. We have so much that we charge these days (Kindle, Ipad, phones) that this comes in handy.

I use a 3 outlet plug that has a nightlight built in and then bring the little can of room freshener from BBW :D.

Sewing kit! Forgot on my last trip and had to hold up my failing hem on my cocktail dress with band-aids! Worked surprisingly well but a stitch would have been better;)

I make sure to bring double sided tape strips....as a dance mom I have found them to be a lifesaver in these types of instances....or to keep my outfit in place on top :o.

Also work well for those jeans/pants that need different lengths for different shoes! Then I don't have to bring the additional shoes:-)

I make sure to bring double sided tape strips....as a dance mom I have found them to be a lifesaver in these types of instances....or to keep my outfit in place on top :o.

Good idea with the ties! I bring a large ziplock bag with all these "probably helpful" items in it, so I can find 'stuff' as if it were my "junk drawer". I don't bring hangers anymore, as usually the room steward has plenty extra if you ask.

Zip Ties... The next best thing to duct tape; bring both!:cool:

Also work well for those jeans/pants that need different lengths for different shoes! Then I don't have to bring the additional shoes:-)

DS(19) has a pair of dress pants that I ordered without hem because of the way he was growing and the difficulty getting the length correct with his tiny waist size (he is 6' 7 1/2" now and I think finally done going up). I iron a hem and use the 2 sided tape to hold it together. As he has grown, I've just ironed him a new hem. Since he only wears them less than a handful of times a year it has been a money saver for me.

Besides passports, set sail pass and ALL our luggage (we have left a small carry on bag at home) a small flashlight, slippers and a nite light we can buy almost anything either on board or in port. They might be more expensive but nothing

to get worked up about. Someone said the most important thing to bring is a great relaxed attitude. Have FUN!

Besides passports, set sail pass and ALL our luggage (we have left a small carry on bag at home) a small flashlight, slippers and a nite light we can buy almost anything either on board or in port. They might be more expensive but nothing

to get worked up about. Someone said the most important thing to bring is a great relaxed attitude. Have FUN!

Oh I had to buy a 2 oz. bottle of aloe in St. Maarten once for $9. That was almost as painful as the burn. But when you are desperate, you will pay it.

Also if traveling with other couples bring some stickie notes or a magnetic whiteboard to notify your friends of where you will be (or to make a request to your room steward). The whiteboard is awesome though, you get quite a few funny notes from passersby, lol.

Also if traveling with other couples bring some stickie notes or a magnetic whiteboard to notify your friends of where you will be (or to make a request to your room steward). The whiteboard is awesome though, you get quite a few funny notes from passersby, lol.

People draw pictures on them too!

i see that cool cruiser is a seasoned cruiser, but these ideas may help others.

Copies of passports, and bank info incase you lose cards/ wallet etc. They can be kept in the room safe.

Medication.. Panadol, bandaids, Even sea sick stuff if you need it, as a trip to the inboard doctor can be expensive. Some ships charge over $100 per visit up front.. Then you claim back from your insurer if you had insurance.

Clothes pegs, or a small portable clothes line ( camping stores have some neat ones ) most ships don't like you hanging stuff on the furnitera or on the balconies)

Batteries for camera/ phone etc.. We had a charger for our camera on our first cruise, and even though we had the right adaptor for the on board power, the point was too close to the desk top that we could not plug it in.. And had to wait til the next port to buy batteries, ( the shop on board had run out) which meant that we missed out on alot of great photo opportunities..

Powdered soap( detergent) for small washes. ( not many ships have a self serve laundry, so paying for washing can get expensive.)

If you are planning to shop, perhaps a foldable bag that can be packed flat in your suitcase. Buying additional luggage on a trip is needless if you already have something you can take.

We always bring a backpack.. It's handy to carry water, caps, and souvineers

that we may pick up on shore excursions.

Hope these hints help.

I would also like to thank others for their suggestions.. I like the hilighter idea for marking the days activities. We often miss/ or forget where we are wanting to be cause there are so many choices.

Here is something not mentioned in any posts. I always bring my Melatonin pills to help me sleep. I use it at home as well. It's a natural substance but we produce less as we age.

Very helpful post. I have added a couple of suggestions to my already fairly

long travel list. Thanks for all who shared.

Many people leave their brains at home when they go on a cruise.

Big mistake.

Common sense goes a long way when you are traveling around the world.

Take your brains with you when you travel.

Sadly, I don't think that would help given the state of brains today.....

We used a hiliter to mark the things we wanted to do in the daily schedule!

I am surprised that they do not have a ball point pen in your cabin that you can circle the items of interest. I have never been able to figure out what is so special about a hilighter.

DON

I am surprised that they do not have a ball point pen in your cabin that you can circle the items of interest. I have never been able to figure out what is so special about a hilighter.

DON

They do have pens... The highlighter just makes it easier to see what to do among the sea of tiny font in the schedule.

Kari

We always bring:

-extra (6-10, depending on cruise)wire hangers-the "dry cleaner" type, and leave them in the cabin at the end of the cruise!

-small travel alarm clock for bedside table

-plug"octopus"- multi arm, plugs into the desk outlet, and arms are about 6"long, making it easier to charge multiple devices.

-small travel hairdryer-the type often in cabin, that requires you to keep pressure on switch, is annoying!

-zip-lock bags in different sizes

-sometimes an old flat, twin sz sheet, if we'll be "beaching it" at a beach without services. Sheet can always be left if weught becomes an issue!

-small super glue or nail glue - never know!

-beach towel chair clips - good for beach and also for keeping stuff on your balcony or deck chair if it's windy

We keep a "cruise box" with these and numerous other items - easier than trying to resurrect your list at the last minute.

looking forward to Eclipse TA 4/19/14 !

People draw pictures on them too!

Yeah, I've been lucky and it has always been PG, lol.

1. I bring a small battery-operated misting fan for those HOT places (Egypt in 2001) or a small fleece blanket that compacts for easy packing for the cold places (Russia in 2012 or any airplane flight).

2. I also bring: heating pad for sore muscles, an electrical extension cord and power cord with multiple outlets for our laptops, iPads, iPhones and heating pad.

3. iPhone & iPad charger.

4. Favorite liquid bath soap which can be used for laundry too.

5. Favorite shampoo and conditioners in small disposable bottles.

6. Mini-size spiral bound notepad to keep a travel journal, take addresses of new acquaintances, etc.

7. I assemble a manila folder to contain our travel documents and itinerary for easy access. I put a 9 x 12 inch envelope in the folder to place all of our receipts in. Punch holes in the pages and envelope so they can be secured in the folder.

8. Address book.

9. Pre-addressed mailing labels to put on postcards to be sent back home. Saves time handwriting the addresses.

10. LOTS of money in small bills. Even American dollars are accepted in many foreign ports by the locals.

11. Secure valuables such as cash, credit cards, passports in a belt that you can hide under your clothes to protect against theft by pick pockets. I keep mine inside my panties and tighten my outside belt around my waist. I don't think any pickpockets could slip their hands inside my underwear without me knowing.

12. Zip lock plastic bags.

13. Ladies only: I use disposable panty liners to keep my panties cleaner and extend the use of my underwear.

14. Small flashlight, extra, new batteries.

15. Inflatable neck pillow and ear plugs. Good for the long airplane flights and staying in noisy hotel rooms.

We have cruised aboard: Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Norweigian, Princess, and a couple more.

Room deodorizer-disinfectant in a small, non-aerosol bottle. A must for the bathroom. :D Also spray on the doorknobs. Don't want those noro-virus in our cabins or our tummies.

Also bring hand sanitizer for use between those times when the crew are not around dispensing hand sanitizer.:)