Sick passengers not allowed ashore...

Not much of a holiday if you come down with Norovirus while on a cruise. Some passengers have been refused landing in Auckland today and must stay on board the ship.:eek:

Cruise liner back in NZ after illness outbreak

Updated at 11:24 am today

Sick passengers onboard a cruise ship will not be allowed ashore when the megaliner docks in Auckland.

The Voyager of the Seas was travelling from Wellington to Sydney last week when 135 people fell ill with suspected norovirus.

The vessel is returning to New Zealand and was due to dock in Auckland at 11am on Wednesday.

Auckland Medical Officer of Health Simon Baker says the number of people ill has dropped to four and those passengers will have to remain on board in quarantine until they have been cleared to leave the ship.

Dr Baker says the doctor on board will continue to monitor the situation when the megaliner continues on to Tauranga, Napier, and Dunedin, before returning to Sydney next week.

Copyright © 2012, Radio New Zealand

Hmmm, so on Voyager's relocation cruise from Asia to Freemantle they had an outbreak of Noro (possibly as many as 800 affected with 1 passenger needing to be airlifted off).

Then the very next cruise lands in Sydney with 135 ill passengers (though reported that 150 cabins had been quarantined, and no mention of passengers that WERE sick but had recovered.)

And now there is a few more suspect cases. (note "the number of people ill has dropped to four" ! How many overall have been sick then on this latest cruise?)

Not much of a holiday if you are booked to go on her either. The worry would eat at you.

Ok lets talk about noro virus, it's being talked about a lot. As a passenger going on VOS next week i would like to know exactly how it affects people. Is it a tummy bug that lasts 24 hrs? What ?

OK. Its good to find out what we are actually talking about.From what I can gather it has always been around and has been passed off as ...a tummy bug , or similar. We were on a cruise many years ago and we had an outbreak after the ship had called in to India. They called it Delhi Belly . It past after about 2/3 days but was very uncomfortable in the meantime.

Precautions...there are 3..

1. Wash your hands

2. Wash your hands

3. Wash your hands.

Avoid touching hand rails, door knobs, lift buttons etc.

A quick google brought these up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus

http://children.webmd.com/norovirus-symptoms-and-treatment

Norovirus: Symptoms and Treatment

Nothing can ruin a vacation like a bout of vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. Noroviruses have become notorious for sending hundreds of cruise ship passengers at a time running for their respective bathrooms and for steering entire ships back to port early.

Back on dry land, noroviruses also have a big impact on people's health. The CDC estimates that noroviruses are responsible for more than half of all food-borne disease outbreaks each year. And noroviruses are the most common cause of diarrhea in adults and the second most common cause in children.

Oh dear people.

Please get a grip.

It's nothing more than a fancy name for the flu or gastro. It's not the plague or black death.

As for quarantining passengers....I am sure there will be more people than 135 odd passengers within 20 klms of the ship With exactly the same thing but I'm sure they are not under house arrest. I understand the symptoms are not nice to have but it is common enough everywhere...schools, offices etc.

Just to clarify Kiwi Kruzer, the relocation cruise (Singapore to Fremantle) had an estimated 800 cases.

The following cruise (Fremantle-Sydney 18 night cruise.) there were 135 reported cases at time of disembarkation in Sydney. 135 at disembarkation does not give a true indication of how many were affected, merely the numbers that were still affected at disembarkation. Considering the cruise was 18 nights and most get over it within 2-3 days... Just as '4 at the moment' does not indicate how many cases they have had since leaving Sydney.

Point is, how effective is the cleaning/disinfection procedures on the VoS? Or was it just bad luck that back to back to back cruises have had cases? Least incidences of infection may be getting less.

But definitely

1. Wash your hands

2. Wash your hands

3. Wash your hands.

Hmmm, so on Voyager's relocation cruise from Asia to Freemantle they had an outbreak of Noro (possibly as many as 800 affected with 1 passenger needing to be airlifted off).

Ok, lets get this right. We were on that cruise. There were rumours that it was a large number of people who had noro. This was not the case. Yes, it was on there, but not 800. No where near. Towards the end of the cruise we were told there were 25 that were still quarantined. Yes, there had been more, but not the 100s that everyone was talking about. Confirmation came from the Dr, the CD and the Captain.

And the person who was airlifted off did not have noro. She broke her hip coming out of her stateroom. They decided it was better to airlift her off than wait till we got to Fremantle.

There has been so much made of noro on Voyager. The thing is, it is on every ship, and there are always outbreaks. I can't help but feel there has been a media blitz on this because she is new to Australia. If it had happened on a ship that had been here before, there would be the same blitz.

Oh dear people.

Please get a grip.

It's nothing more than a fancy name for the flu or gastro. It's not the plague or black death.

As for quarantining passengers....I am sure there will be more people than 135 odd passengers within 20 klms of the ship With exactly the same thing but I'm sure they are not under house arrest. I understand the symptoms are not nice to have but it is common enough everywhere...schools, offices etc.

I can understand people being concerned/worried about reports of noro on a ship. It is probably the most infectious (or is it contagious?) illness and it is very very unpleasant. I have been unlucky enough to have caught it a couple of times many years ago and my recollections are of feeling terribly ill and having to sit on the toilet with a bowl in my lap. I won't go into more graphic detail.

Symptoms subside after 24 to 48 hours which is why it used to be called the '24-hour flu'. Americans call it the 'stomach flu'.

When outbreaks of noro occur on a ship, it can be stopped if people affected are quarantined (essential) and there is scrupulous attention to disinfecting all surfaces. I would be worried about a ship if there were the reported 800 cases - I am not doubting the report, but just commenting that if there were a large number of affected people, then the 'code red' situation wasn't implemented quickly or thoroughly enough.

It would be awful to pay a lot of money for a cruise and then be very ill and quarantined for a couple of days of the cruise.:)

Thanks for the replies, so it can be categorised as somewhere between the black plague and bad sea sickness. I wouldn't want either or to pass it on to anyone, so wash, wash, wash my hands it is.

Dave

P.s. does anyone have any experience with the coffee machine in a JS. Thinking about bringing our own coffee, even our own mugs.

Ok, lets get this right. We were on that cruise. There were rumours that it was a large number of people who had noro. This was not the case. Yes, it was on there, but not 800. No where near. Towards the end of the cruise we were told there were 25 that were still quarantined. Yes, there had been more, but not the 100s that everyone was talking about. Confirmation came from the Dr, the CD and the Captain.

In my defence, I blame Nancy!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/11/articles/norovirus/norovirus-outbreak-on-royal-caribbeans-voyager-of-the-seas/

Interesting reading! We both got chest infections, not surprising given the number of people who were coughing and sneezing and not covering their mouths or staying in their rooms.

As to the noro, I personally did not speak to one person who had it, nor to anyone who knew anyone who had it. I would say 300, maybe 400 tops. Rumours on the ship were 600 people, but the captain categorically denied that.

We were certainly given heaps of information, we had letters left in our rooms on 4 or 5 days towards the end of the cruise, we were constantly told to wash our hands by the captain, the CD and our stateroom attendant. Our attendant, Lulu, was awesome, said to be careful, make sure we wash, wash, wash and watch what we touch. Also advised going to the MDR rather than WJ.

It happens all the time. While that is not an excuse, it will not put us off cruising, we had an awesome time and will continue to cruise.

When we joined Queen Victoria earlier this year, they basically had a "code RED" from the day we joined. All the usual precautions - no serving yourself at the Buffet, etc.

This went on for 5 days. The funny/strange thing is that no one who we associated with knew of anybody that had a sickness. After 5 days, the conspiracy theories started to fly -- a good one was that this was deliberate on the part of Cunard to stop people from eating so much when they serve themselves !! :D Hilarius!

How often do we have friends/rellies that said they got "food poisoning" from some food that they ate in a restaurant last night?? :rolleyes: I tell them -- no, you didn't - you just didn't wash your hands before you ate!!

Barry

Its a pretty standard thing to do is ban passengers from leaving the ship or leaving their cabin when they have the virus. There is nothing wrong with that. It is highly contageous. Trust me if you have the virus you wont want to be going anywhere. It is not the sort of virus anyone wants to pick up either.

I have my own theories that it would have more to do with the crew and food than passengers. It is statistically more realistic that crew would be in contact with more passengers should there be an outbreak. If a passenger had it pre cruise then they are less likely going to be in a fit state to travel to the ship. I have had the virus and it is the type you cant leave home with. It has kept me off work for a week and bed ridden for 3 days straight.

I was unlucky enough to catch noro on a Silversea ship in the Arctic. It is like a bad gastro attack with a temperature thrown in for good measure. The doctor came and gave me a shot and I was confined for 24 hours after the last symptom episode whether vomiting or other. They also arrived to swab down phone, light switches, tv remote, door handles etc. We were docking in Longyearbyen and were told that Norwegian health rules are a 48 hr quarantine not 24 hr so quite a few people (including me) were not allowed off the ship. Not surprised that NZ imposes a ban. It is not up to the ship at all.

I was unlucky enough to catch noro on a Silversea ship in the Arctic. It is like a bad gastro attack with a temperature thrown in for good measure. The doctor came and gave me a shot and I was confined for 24 hours after the last symptom episode whether vomiting or other. They also arrived to swab down phone, light switches, tv remote, door handles etc. We were docking in Longyearbyen and were told that Norwegian health rules are a 48 hr quarantine not 24 hr so quite a few people (including me) were not allowed off the ship. Not surprised that NZ imposes a ban. It is not up to the ship at all.

P&O and Princess have a 48 hour quarantine rule.

Aus Traveller, interesting info. I wonder what other lines have as their quarantine time as I can only speak for Silversea. The ship stayed a couple of extra hours in Longyearbyen as there was a tourist rep from there on board who had become ill as well and they had to wait for her to be allowed to disembark.

Gastro type viruses/infections are so easy to pick up anywhere. As i posted elsewhere before, we had an outbreak on a coach tour i was operating many years ago - 23 pax were quarantined by law. Cause - sharing of food and not washing hands. On Saturday my grand daughters flew back to Melbourne from Sydney, that night one of them came down with a violent Gastro attack and her sister has come down with it today. None of us are sick so we suspect it was contracted on the plane - possibly from touching a contaminated surface.

It is a nasty experience but it shoudln't stop you from a happy cruise if you obey the basics - wash your hands before getting them close to your mouth and please don't touch the food in the WJ with your hands.

Hugh

Ok lets talk about noro virus, it's being talked about a lot. As a passenger going on VOS next week i would like to know exactly how it affects people. Is it a tummy bug that lasts 24 hrs? What ?

Dave

In addition to washing your hands, don't use public toilets or eat from the buffet. Other people use the tongs to get their food and they may not have washed their hands, despite the santisers at the door if every eatery on the ship, and pass it on via the tongs and spoons in the buffet. Anything in a public area is a germ agent, so dont use your hands to handle your food, even bread rolls. Use your knife and fork which unfortunately is not natural..

We were on another ship last month and many passengers had the virus including 3 out of 4 of my family including myself. My daughter was first at 1am, then myself at 3am (when i was in the medical centre with my daughter as she was very ill) and then my other daughter at around 10am. There were 4 people at the medical centre when we went there and there was a steady increase in passengers over a 2 hour period. When i went back there with my other daughter even though i was quarantined but had no choice to go with her, there was again many passengers waiting for treatment.

My point is for us to get it right after each other, (and we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite which i tried to contain the illness in one bathroom) it passed on very quickly because it is highly contagious. As someone else said you are sick from more than one end and end up very drained and dehydrated really quickly.

We were quarantined for 48 hours in total - the first 24 due to the symptoms and then 24 hours after the last episode.

After being cleared our room was completely sanitised by a man in a special suit and mask. Once the outbreak started, and if you were quarantined a yellow dot sticker appeared on your door .... Many doors on our deck had yellow stickers, actually almost every second door .... And people were talking about it. Passengers who had been ill within the 48 hours prior to arriving in suva were not allowed off the ship.

At the last port, isle of pines, every room on the ship was sanitised and i have to tell you the coffee ports and jug were all taken and we were told that they were going to be commercially cleaned and sanitised back in sydney - they were removed from the room on the second last day. So the coffee machines are considered transferrable items for the virus.

When you attend the medical centre you have to fill in copious forms which include information about where you were before boarding, did you fly or drive or catch a train, what you having been eating and what restaurants on the ship. The doctor said to me that there was a pattern emerging that indicated that the virus was picked up in sydney domestic airport, but i think it is more likely that it was already on the ship via the crew ( not blaming just saying ) as some crew were also ill and the ship had the virus when in Alaska on the last cruise of the season before coming to australia and crew had been sick during the repositioning cruises as well.

I have to say we were looked after and the staff were run off their feet because there was continual cleaning of hand rails, lift buttons, stair well rails etc etc. Staff who work in back of house roles were put into the buffet to serve food or clean public areas to try to minimise the spread of the virus.

Sorry to tell such a long story but you did ask and I hope you dont get it...

Dave

In addition to washing your hands, don't use public toilets or eat from the buffet. Other people use the tongs to get their food and they may not have washed their hands, despite the santisers at the door if every eatery on the ship, and pass it on via the tongs and spoons in the buffet. Anything in a public area is a germ agent, so dont use your hands to handle your food, even bread rolls. Use your knife and fork which unfortunately is not natural..

We were on another ship last month and many passengers had the virus including 3 out of 4 of my family including myself. My daughter was first at 1am, then myself at 3am (when i was in the medical centre with my daughter as she was very ill) and then my other daughter at around 10am. There were 4 people at the medical centre when we went there and there was a steady increase in passengers over a 2 hour period. When i went back there with my other daughter even though i was quarantined but had no choice to go with her, there was again many passengers waiting for treatment.

My point is for us to get it right after each other, (and we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite which i tried to contain the illness in one bathroom) it passed on very quickly because it is highly contagious. As someone else said you are sick from more than one end and end up very drained and dehydrated really quickly.

We were quarantined for 48 hours in total - the first 24 due to the symptoms and then 24 hours after the last episode.

After being cleared our room was completely sanitised by a man in a special suit and mask. Once the outbreak started, and if you were quarantined a yellow dot sticker appeared on your door .... Many doors on our deck had yellow stickers, actually almost every second door .... And people were talking about it. Passengers who had been ill within the 48 hours prior to arriving in suva were not allowed off the ship.

At the last port, isle of pines, every room on the ship was sanitised and i have to tell you the coffee ports and jug were all taken and we were told that they were going to be commercially cleaned and sanitised back in sydney - they were removed from the room on the second last day. So the coffee machines are considered transferrable items for the virus.

When you attend the medical centre you have to fill in copious forms which include information about where you were before boarding, did you fly or drive or catch a train, what you having been eating and what restaurants on the ship. The doctor said to me that there was a pattern emerging that indicated that the virus was picked up in sydney domestic airport, but i think it is more likely that it was already on the ship via the crew ( not blaming just saying ) as some crew were also ill and the ship had the virus when in Alaska on the last cruise of the season before coming to australia and crew had been sick during the repositioning cruises as well.

I have to say we were looked after and the staff were run off their feet because there was continual cleaning of hand rails, lift buttons, stair well rails etc etc. Staff who work in back of house roles were put into the buffet to serve food or clean public areas to try to minimise the spread of the virus.

Sorry to tell such a long story but you did ask and I hope you dont get it...

The thing is with washing your hands before eating - is that you have to wash your hands IMMEDIATELY before you eat , not before you go into the buffet. That is , wash your hands before you put something into your mouth with your hands. This takes some doing!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Noro is contagious and can quickly spread where there are a high number of people in a small/contained area, for example, nursing homes, kindergartens and cruise ships. I saw on Radiance a sign in the public toilets suggesting you use a paper towel to open the door when leaving the restrooms. Good idea but then where to you put the paper towel?

Others have suggested collecting your food from the buffet and then washing your hands again before eating.

I also read that if wash your hands for the length of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday through twice, that is the period of time needed to really clean them. I wonder how many do a quick flit under the tap and call that washing.

Archived