Noordam Review 10 Day southern Caribbean 11/16- 11/26

B&J1

We r a young couple in our early 50's. Taxi from FLL to hotel was $15 plus tip (they do provide a free shuttle prior to 11 pm but our arrival was near midnight). Stayed 1 night precruise at Hyatt Place booked with Priceline for $64 total. Nice, clean, large room, impressive breakfast included the usual cereal & pastries, but also hot egg "McMuffin" type sandwiches, and 3 other English muffin sandwhiches & various fruits. Hotel staff was attentive & courteous. Picked up some wine & Dr. Pepper before cruise at Publics & Total Wine (easy walk from Hotel).

We had room 1046 main deck outside. Boarded around noon & it took approx 20 - 30 min. Our room was ready so we dropped our carry-ons & went directly to Mariner luncheon (1 Star) :) 3 times during the first few days of the cruise it took extraodinarily long to get our entres. It happen once with each meal. I had the opportunity to talk with the head chef at a cocktail party for "VIPs" (of which we are not) & he had just joined the ship that week in FLL so maybe that was the reason. Later in the cruise the problem seemed to resolve itself. On the food subject, we typically had all meals in the dining room & ocassionally used room service. Quality was good but I would not chracterize it as excellent. Waiters & room sterwards were excellent. :) Capiccino in the dining room was still free but will most likely change soon per our waiter.

All of our activities were DITY tours.

Coco Cay...beautiful beach...we walked as far to the left as possible & were nearly alone except when the horseback riding tour went by.

Grand Turk: Rented bicycles (2 for $30) & rode to the light house then Pillory beach. Snorkling at Pillory beach was not good as the water was cluody.

Dominican Republic: We went to El Limon Falls via horseback with Tour Samana With Terry. Class act! I wouldn't however, recommend this activity for anyone of advanced age or disabilty. Terry helped us swim behind the falls into a small cave...very cool but the current was really strong as he said they have had alot of rain in the past week. I'm a strong swimmer & was a bit intimidated by the strong current. Terry did a good job helping my wife. If you have a stop in Samana....BOOK A TOUR!!! Otherwise you will be disappointed with the port. Not much to do or see around the port area & our table mates didn't have any plans & were disappointed as a result.

Bonaire: We snorkled with Woodwind Tours. They did a good job & were very helpful for those who were not used to snorkling.

Curacao: Our plan here was just to walk around town & get a good feel for the place. Visited the floating market, a couple of other local markets. watched the sunset from Igunana Bar while dringking some foofy drinks. (recommend the Blue Lagoon....mmmmm) If I knew how to post pics I put one here. :)

Aruba: We took the local bus ($2.30 each way) to Eagle Beach. It's a beautiful beach & not as crowded as Palm Beach. There was not alot to see snorkling but the water was beautiful.

Entertainment: We really enjoyed the Adagio strings. They also had "dueling" violins one night for the show.....very good! They rest of the shows were ok but nothing special.

The wife attended a number of the cooking demonstrations & computer seminars. They had the cook books on sale 4 for $60 :)

All in all a very good cruise!

We r a young couple in our early 50's. Taxi from FLL to hotel was $15 plus tip (they do provide a free shuttle prior to 11 pm but our arrival was near midnight). Stayed 1 night precruise at Hyatt Place booked with Priceline for $64 total. Nice, clean, large room, impressive breakfast included the usual cereal & pastries, but also hot egg "McMuffin" type sandwiches, and 3 other English muffin sandwhiches & various fruits. Hotel staff was attentive & courteous. Picked up some wine & Dr. Pepper before cruise at Publics & Total Wine (easy walk from Hotel).

We had room 1046 main deck outside. Boarded around noon & it took approx 20 - 30 min. Our room was ready so we dropped our carry-ons & went directly to Mariner luncheon (1 Star) :) 3 times during the first few days of the cruise it took extraodinarily long to get our entres. It happen once with each meal. I had the opportunity to talk with the head chef at a cocktail party for "VIPs" (of which we are not) & he had just joined the ship that week in FLL so maybe that was the reason. Later in the cruise the problem seemed to resolve itself. On the food subject, we typically had all meals in the dining room & ocassionally used room service. Quality was good but I would not chracterize it as excellent. Waiters & room sterwards were excellent. :) Capiccino in the dining room was still free but will most likely change soon per our waiter.

All of our activities were DITY tours.

Coco Cay...beautiful beach...we walked as far to the left as possible & were nearly alone except when the horseback riding tour went by.

Grand Turk: Rented bicycles (2 for $30) & rode to the light house then Pillory beach. Snorkling at Pillory beach was not good as the water was cluody.

Dominican Republic: We went to El Limon Falls via horseback with Tour Samana With Terry. Class act! I wouldn't however, recommend this activity for anyone of advanced age or disabilty. Terry helped us swim behind the falls into a small cave...very cool but the current was really strong as he said they have had alot of rain in the past week. I'm a strong swimmer & was a bit intimidated by the strong current. Terry did a good job helping my wife. If you have a stop in Samana....BOOK A TOUR!!! Otherwise you will be disappointed with the port. Not much to do or see around the port area & our table mates didn't have any plans & were disappointed as a result.

Bonaire: We snorkled with Woodwind Tours. They did a good job & were very helpful for those who were not used to snorkling.

Curacao: Our plan here was just to walk around town & get a good feel for the place. Visited the floating market, a couple of other local markets. watched the sunset from Igunana Bar while dringking some foofy drinks. (recommend the Blue Lagoon....mmmmm) If I knew how to post pics I put one here. :)

Aruba: We took the local bus ($2.30 each way) to Eagle Beach. It's a beautiful beach & not as crowded as Palm Beach. There was not alot to see snorkling but the water was beautiful.

Entertainment: We really enjoyed the Adagio strings. They also had "dueling" violins one night for the show.....very good! They rest of the shows were ok but nothing special.

The wife attended a number of the cooking demonstrations & computer seminars. They had the cook books on sale 4 for $60 :)

All in all a very good cruise!

Thank you for your review ...a few questions ..

did the hyatt place smell ok?? In. The past i had problems with mildew smell in room this time we are stating 3 days to shop a bit so I need ok room is fine This is the one they call north nnear outback and nt fare from Embassy suites,,,right???

I was told by Hotwire theyrenovated ..so no more yucky smells Do windows open???

What do you suggest we do in Samana? i would love a nice beach with snorkelingAny suggestions??

Thanks ...welcome back

Michele

Thank you for your review ...a few questions ..

did the hyatt place smell ok?? In. The past i had problems with mildew smell in room this time we are stating 3 days to shop a bit so I need ok room is fine This is the one they call north nnear outback and nt fare from Embassy suites,,,right???

I was told by Hotwire theyrenovated ..so no more yucky smells Do windows open???

What do you suggest we do in Samana? i would love a nice beach with snorkelingAny suggestions??

Thanks ...welcome back

Michele

We did not notice any mildew smell at all. I don't know if the windows open as I didn't try. Yes, it is the one near the Outback....aka Convention Center Hyatt I think.

As far as the beach/snorkle. I know Terry does a tour but I haven't any first hand knowledge of that specific tour but was very happy with Terry, here's the link to that tour http://www.toursamanawithterry.com/EXCURSION__2_LA_PLAYITA.php

Thanks for your review, we are doing this cruise in late January, and I too, booked Terry for Samana, but I think I booked an ATV tour. I could tell from reviews that this is an island where getting off the ship to "look around" would just end up being disappointing.

I appreciate you taking the time to share!;)

Archived