Sorry - I didn't care for the Oasis!

stones902

We cruised Oasis in October and had a blast. I do not recommend the windjammer. The food didn't have much taste. We were hesitant to eat in the MDR but actually did for 4 nights. That was a great experience. Food was great, people were nice. We had breakfast in the MDR one morning and wish we had every morning. It was good. I think the MDR and Park Cafe were our favorites that were inclusive in your cruising fare. We did not care for the windjammer or wipe out cafe. So again we all have different opinions but that was our experience.

You don't have to convince me to avoid the WJ. It's always a good cruise if I manage to avoid the WJ:rolleyes:. In fact, that's usually my mission.

I am looking forward to the number of additional venues available for breakfast/lunch to help me with that. I've booked a couple specialty restaurants, but am usually happy enough with the MDR for dinner. We always do lunch in the MDR on sea days because I LOVE the Tutti salad bar. I understand the Park Cafe has something similar? I also am looking forward to the Solarium Cafe? for lunches.

This will also be our 1st time with access to the Diamond lounge for breakfast and we are just down the hall from it so I think that may turn into our breakfast standard.

I can't imagine what could possibly prevent me from liking this cruise, I just wonder if I will love this cruise. Time will tell!

For once a critique thread that doesn't bash a ship and doesn't get the OP bashed either. Well done OP and well done everyone else on good constructive discussion instead of the bash fest that so often ensues!

For those interested, the Vision class ships have an area just behind the WJ that's a good place to eat outside as well. Just cart your tray out and you are set. :)

OK I do have a question for all you Oasis fans.....I've heard so many things about how crowded the WJ is on embarkation day....where should we go (there are 4 of us) that we WON'T have that big a crowd and have to wait and wait.....? We plan to arrive around 1PM...Thanks for any help!:D

Thank you for your review , I just returned from an Alaskan cruise in August.. summer the only place I could smoke a cigar was on the 9th deck in the rain 50+ mph winds cold 49 degrees . I definatly am looking for my vices before booking my trips . If I can't enjoy myself why bother , and of course $pend the $$$$$ oh and this was my 7th rci cruise

OK I do have a question for all you Oasis fans.....I've heard so many things about how crowded the WJ is on embarkation day....where should we go (there are 4 of us) that we WON'T have that big a crowd and have to wait and wait.....? We plan to arrive around 1PM...Thanks for any help!:D

Boardwalk Dog House, Sorrentos Pizza or Park Cafe (but that may already be crowded by 1pm)

We actually found Oasis/Allure to be the least crowded of any ships we've been on. My biggest complaint would be the lack of a Promenade deck where you can walk outside around the ship. Other than that, There are plenty of spots to see the water but an oceanview balcony definitely helps.

One last comment her. I imagine a lot of you that have decided not to sail on this class of ship because of what you have heard feel pretty sure of your decisions. Think of it though, when you first heard about sex were you all that anxious to try it? I bet not, but now, aren't you glad you did?

Honestly, I remember when people were afraid to cruise out of San Juan because of all the negative complaints about the Puerto Rican crowds on board. I actually saw people on these threads cancel their Adventure cruises because of what others had to say. To date, that was one of our most favorite cruises!

I think if you go into ANYTHING with a negative expectation, that is what you are going to get. Frankly, I can't imagine there ever being a bad cruise - really.

Yes - we probably will try going to WJ at least once. If it's packed and too much of a pain, then we will go somewhere else. It doesn't make or break our cruise. The only reason we ate dinner there so much on our last cruise on Serenade was because it was a lovely place to enjoy a meal in the outside area, and because we had a port stop literally every single day. It was nice to to not have to get dressed for dinner.

Sometimes we cruise with the mindset the ports are our destination. For our upcoming Oasis cruise, we are considering the ship to be our destination. Bring it on!

Ann

We have sailed pretty much every class but the the Oasis class [well we have missed the Voyagers too, but I understand they are basically shorter Freedoms]. In my opinion, RCI ships are well designed to avoid the claustrophobia I have felt on other ships. They all have large open spaces that help prevent bottle necks as folks move around the ship. On the other hand, every class we have been on has had crowding problems at certain times. But in general, I think the RCI designs handle crowds well.

I like every RCI ship we have been aboard from Monarch, the oldest, to Splendour, the smallest, to Independence which was the largest and newest when we were aboard.

I like the Radiance class as well. Particularly liked the places we got to go Canada/New England [aboard Jewel] and San Diego to Vancouver [aboard Radiance]. One of my "bucket list" cruises is the westbound TA from England to Boston aboard Jewel or Brilliance. But I have to laugh at some of the gushing about these ships [the Radii] and "all that glass." I truly don't understand how these ships make you feel "closer to the sea" because you can see water without going outside and risking getting a little sun or [perish the thought] a little spray. I also have to laugh at those who would suggest seeing the ocean from inside is impossible or even difficult on the ships with a Royal Promenade. While I agree there are no windows in the promenade shops aboard the Freedoms [and I presume Oasis], there are likewise no windows in the shops aboard the Radiis. It is simply a larger area aboard the Freedoms. I have also looked at my pictures from these cruises recently and confirmed my memory that there are windows in some of the venues on the Royal Promenade [like Sorrentos] aboard the Freedoms as well as the Schooner Bar on 4. I agree that the windows in the Schooner bar on the Radii are floor to ceiling, while the Freedom has smaller [but still fairly large] round windows. But on the Freedoms, I can also step around the corner from the Schooner bar and go outside if I see something interesting. I also found it interesting that one of these classes has floor to ceiling windows in the MDR and the other has the smaller round windows. Guess which was which? It was the Freedoms with the big windows. And every single RCI ship I have been aboard has areas in the VCL where you can watch the ocean to your heart's content.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I like all of these ships. I simply enjoy being at sea, and I guarantee you you will feel the ocean on any of the ships I have been aboard. I would love to sail the Oasis class and hope to do so soon [even if it does break my streak of being a veteran cruiser without ever having sailed the Caribbean].

Thank you for the honest review. I'm hoping to sail on the Allure in January 2014, and while I'm looking forward to it, I do wonder what my impression will be after a week. Count me in with the Radiance class fans. I'm hoping that sailing during school will reduce the number of kids running around, and that crowds won't be too much of an issue. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to watch Aquatheater shows from my balcony :D I also hope that they still have "Chicago" and the prohibition party, because so far those are my two "must do's" on the ship.

I'm probably in the minority who couldn't care less about food. Just give me something halfway decent, that will keep me alive for a week and I'm good. :D

One of the things that I love about RCI is that there are different sizes/designs of ships, and if one keeps an open mind, there is something to enjoy on all of them. Certainly we all have our favorites, for me, it's the Radiance-class, but I have enjoyed every ship and every class that I've been on. We haven't done the Oasis or Allure yet, but I'm sure at some point we will.

I have enjoyed all my cruises on all different type of classes on RCI.

We sailed the Jewel to the Baltics where it does not get dark until 11:00, so it was nice having all that glass.

I am cruising on December 16 and it will be dark by 6:00 so not having all that glass will be just fine.

For me the entertainment on the Oasis/Allure were the best I have ever seen at sea.

As for the windjammer, I avoid it at all cost, I can't stand buffets.

My husband and son are very athletic, so the larger sport court, flowrider, rock wall are very important to them.

I loved the Majesty and Enchantment, but for short cruises only. On a 7 day cruise or more I will cruise on Radiance class and Voyager class, but prefer Freedom and Oasis class.

Thank you RCI for making all kinds of class ships for all kinds of people.

Happy Holidays my cruise critic friends.

I feel the same...Radiance was my least favorite so far. Small pool deck, could NOT find a lounge chair on a Sea Day, and I mean anywhere...it was not for me. Beautiful ship, but not for me.

Exactly the same for me too.

OP really does not have anything to be sorry for. At least he is writing from his own experience and not going on some preconceived notion or relying on others' opinions. I loved Oasis but one of the things I mentioned after my return is that I knew the ship would not be for everybody.

Radiance class has an outdoor section to the WJ???? Why did I not know this? Our first cruise was on a small NCL ship that had outdoor dining section. It was the most perfect setting in which to eat breakfast.

How many Radiance class ships are there? I need to go to the website and research this more. :)

Radiance

Brilliance

Serenade

Jewel

Thank you for posting your review/thoughts. That's what's so great about cruising, it not a 'one size fits all' vacation. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Personally, we did the Oasis 2 years ago and my entire group thought it was a 10 out of 10. For the record; we are 49, and 52. Our youngest son will be 18 on his next birthday and we have 1 granddaughter from our oldest son.

We will be on the Allure next July for my big birthday and with 2 new high school graduates. I have never been so excited for a cruise up and coming. We loved it.

Archived