Sorry - I didn't care for the Oasis!

stones902

This thread hits close to home. We've (my husband and I) cruised many times on many lines. We were toying with the idea of an Oasis class voyage for our cruise in May, but when another two couples (neither of whom have cruised before) decided to join us, we scrapped the idea of Oasis class because we want them to really get the feeling of cruising, which means strolls on the deck at night under the stars, beautiful vistas of the sea while you are sailing along and even feeling a little motion of the ocean. We are sailing the Freedom (which is large, i know) but I think it will give them more of a "cruise" experience. We can't wait! I'm sure we'll do the O/A some day, but not until the prices drop and we are sailing alone or with someone else who REALLY wants to go on them.

You're opinion seems pretty reasonable to me. I really enjoyed the Oasis experience, but I felt like it was more akin to planning a trip to a major city thank going on a cruise. As you pointed out, there was a lot of pressure to plan and get reservations early so you don't miss anything since the competition for certain shows or excursions can be stiff. We managed to do that, but it required significantly more effort than on other cruises. I also thought the split superstructure that makes the amazing Central Park and Boardwalk areas possible severely compromises the pool deck and sports deck areas. Getting 5,000 people through a 12-foot hole in a boat proves to be quite a challenge on excursion mornings, too. If we're all being honest, we buy Oasis tickets to experience an engineering marvel – something that may never be eclipsed – and the ship delivers on that level. For my money, however, I think Freedom Class strikes a better balance between size, efficiency and enjoyment. Looking forward to giving Radiance Class a shot next month!

What a shame that you would let another person influence your choices! You will never know if you would like the ship or not, because, as you said, you will never sail her! Again, what a shame!

I have to agree with this post...I think people should experience her and make their own decision...my personal preference as simply reinforced after being on-board and think a cruising fan should live the experience at least once...you never know - your preference may change :p Although I personally agree with the OP, I also contend the oasis class is a marvel to behold...

So to sum it all up - I'm glad we experienced the Oasis / Allure but would not book it again. We just found it a bit too large for our tastes and didn't care for some of the public venues as compared to other RCI ships we have sailed....

Don't be sorry in the least. This is exactly how I feel (DH loved her, I did not). :)

Concerning extra drink charge in the Viking Crown, I did not experience this. And one night they were doing two for one drinks there about 11 PM. I think it was the second night of the cruise. Nice surprise for me! We will not sail this class again tho' we enjoyed our Oasis cruise, unless the prices come way down. We got a real deal on a W guarante and that price will be my guideline for any possible future cruises on O/A.

Well we are set to try Oasis this Saturday and my concerns are heightened due to your post.....am sure we will be fascinated by the ship for a few days anyway....but since our favorite ships are Celebrity's "S" class not sure how we will feel....but as my DH says....there are no bad cruises.....:)

We'll be experiencing Oasis for the 1st time along with you this Saturday ;). I really wasn't all that interested, but my daughter talked me into it. I don't want to go into this feeling I'm not going to like it, so I'm working to keep an open mind. I'm considering this a week of entertainment and relaxation, and will try not to focus on it being a cruise.

I cast another vote for the Radiance class. We did a TA on the Jewel last May, and loved every second of it. It was wonderful on all of those long sea days, with ocean visible from almost everywhere. I think I would have been claustrophobic with that many sea days on a ship with a promenade.

I've also had several outstanding cruises on Vision class. I just think the experience is so much more personal on the smaller ships. We meet more new friends, get to know the entertainment crew better, and generally find the level of service at a higher level than the bigger ships. I know that not every who cruises wants the same thing out of the experience, but these are the things that I got hooked on in the beginning and even as I try different cruise experiences, I keep coming back to the more intimate ships!

Who knows, maybe the Oasis will change my perspective. I'm excited about Saturday, because it's 7 days of fun and sun!

Well we are set to try Oasis this Saturday and my concerns are heightened due to your post.....am sure we will be fascinated by the ship for a few days anyway....but since our favorite ships are Celebrity's "S" class not sure how we will feel....but as my DH says....there are no bad cruises.....:)

Have a great cruise!!! I have to say that we are the opposite of most posters on here. We have done 3 cruises on the Oasis class so far and it is hard for us to go back to the smaller ships. I will say that we cruise now more for the ship than the ports and Oasis has so much more to offer in dining and entertainment, ease of embarkation and disembarkation, and also has a Concierge lounge that serves breakfast and lunch.

Like another poster said, that is why they make different classes of ships:)

I will say that we cruise now more for the ship than the ports...

Anyone who intends to cruise multiple times on the Oasis class ships really kind of HAS to share this philosophy. Ports of call able to accommodate the mega-ships are extremely limited. Multiple cruises on this class guarantee visiting the SAME ports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddcan

Radiance class has an outdoor section to the WJ????

Radiance class ships include: Serenade, Brilliance and Jewel. And yes, they have outdoor seating toward the back of the Windjammer. It's awesome!

Have a great cruise!!! I have to say that we are the opposite of most posters on here. We have done 3 cruises on the Oasis class so far and it is hard for us to go back to the smaller ships. I will say that we cruise now more for the ship than the ports and Oasis has so much more to offer in dining and entertainment, ease of embarkation and disembarkation, and also has a Concierge lounge that serves breakfast and lunch.

Like another poster said, that is why they make different classes of ships:)

I am with you.

Only thing I would like to see changed is to have some 9 or 10 day cruises. Now that would be nice.

I was on the ship in August with my mother, brother and sister in law and 15 yo niece. We all had the same opinion. We found the crowds overwhelming and we did not have access to the CL so found eating in the Windjammer a not enjoyable experience. The space is just not large enough to accomodate the crowds. It was very difficult finding seats. I am glad we sailed Oasis it is definately a ship to be experienced but we found that we all preferred a smaller ship.

Good afternoon Stones902. Very good review. I have yet to try Allure or Oasis due to pricing. We may try it at some point. I have read the reviews who say you don't notice the crowds whereas others say the crowds are there. We will wait and see.

On another front, hello from a neighbor. I attended (what is now) Lincoln Way Central for a year and we are still nearby over in Park Forest. Nice to see some of the Chitown south suburbs represented here. Happy sailing.

What a shame that you would let another person influence your choices! You will never know if you would like the ship or not, because, as you said, you will never sail her! Again, what a shame!

I disagree, I said from the time they built these floating amusement parks ,my wife and I would never set foot on one. Basically for all the reasons I have read on here. Just not our cup of tea and everything I read on here just enforces my reasoning. So why would I waste at least $3000 plus to just to prove to myself , yea just what I figured when there are so many other ships out there we know we will love the cruises and ports of call. These ships the ports of call are an afterthought you sail these ships for the ship itself.

On another front, hello from a neighbor. I attended (what is now) Lincoln Way Central for a year and we are still nearby over in Park Forest. Nice to see some of the Chitown south suburbs represented here. Happy sailing.

LOL! I also attended Lincoln Way (now Central). Class of 1980. Go figure!

That's what my husband said as well, until after day 1 on the Allure! Our favorite also are Celebrity "S" class. Day 2 is better, but I'm quite confident our next cruise will be back on Celebrity.

To the OP, no need to apologize. You tried and did not care for it. Much different that the many negative Nellies that put the ship down without ever stepping foot on it.

Gracie, do not get worried over this one review. True that this ship is not for everyone but I have spent six weeks on board between the twins and they are by far my favorite ship that I have ever cruised. I had no problem with the feel of being on a ship. There are plenty of places to see the ocean. Also, we have traveled at different times of the year on these two ships and crowds have never been an issue. We even had over 2000 kids on one sailing and were only about 20 passengers away from having a totally full ship approaching 6300. I also never understand why so many complain about the WJ as there are many options on board that can easily replace that venue and there is no charge. I guess habits are hard to break for some. I can count on one hand how many times I have dined in the WJ on an Oasis class ships in the six weeks that we have spent on board.

I look at a review as one persons opinion. Nothing more. I appreciate that the OP gave an honest well balanced review but it's not something that would keep me from trying the ship. I have a cruised booked for June on one of the smallest ships in RCI's fleet. I am doing it for the itinerary and not the ship this time. The Radiance class is my least favorite as I found it to be the most crowded of any in the fleet and I know that the Splendour will be very similar. Go with an open mind. You may be pleasantly surprised. :)

You're opinion seems pretty reasonable to me. I really enjoyed the Oasis experience, but I felt like it was more akin to planning a trip to a major city thank going on a cruise. As you pointed out, there was a lot of pressure to plan and get reservations early so you don't miss anything since the competition for certain shows or excursions can be stiff. We managed to do that, but it required significantly more effort than on other cruises. I also thought the split superstructure that makes the amazing Central Park and Boardwalk areas possible severely compromises the pool deck and sports deck areas. Getting 5,000 people through a 12-foot hole in a boat proves to be quite a challenge on excursion mornings, too. If we're all being honest, we buy Oasis tickets to experience an engineering marvel – something that may never be eclipsed – and the ship delivers on that level. For my money, however, I think Freedom Class strikes a better balance between size, efficiency and enjoyment. Looking forward to giving Radiance Class a shot next month!

Totally agree about the planning! That is why I enjoy cruising so much - we get on and figure it out. That didn't work so well on the Allure.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Baskin Robbins offers 31 flavors for the same reason that RCI and other lines have multiple ship designs. I have other experienced cruise friends who love the ship.

Regarding wine prices in the Viking Crown - that was reported to me by some friends on board. When she looked at her bill she noticed that it was quite a bit higher than she had been paying. She questioned the waiter who promptly showed the drink menu clearly listing the price of pinot grigio in that lounge. The bar staff explaination was that the VK was considered a "premium lounge" whatever that means. First time I have ever heard that term on a ship.

Someone else asked about Central Park. We were impressed with this area of the ship. Very pretty and relaxing and you accessed a few of the specialty restaurants and Vintages (wine bar) via that area. In addition, there was a quaint little bar area which would be a perfect venue for people watching. The Coach store was also located there.

I think it is important to do your research before doing the Oasis/Allure.

If you want to make the most of your cruise, my tips would be:

1. Avoid the WJ between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM and noon to 1:30 PM. Hey there are a bunch of other places to get food with little to no crowds.

2. Room service works nicely.

3. Avoid the crowds. If the Promenade is crowded, go to Central Park, Boardwalk, etc. This is a huge ship, with lots of alternatives.

4. If you are looking for peace and quiet, there are lots of places. Check out deck 5 aft, Deck 14 forward, Solarium, to name a few.

I find it unique that there were always seats available at poolside, every day, and our cruise was perfect sunny weather every day. Having sailed on the Explorer, there were NEVER any poolside chairs available EVER.

It is an amazing ship, and you really need to do your research and planning to get the most out of it.

We'll be experiencing Oasis for the 1st time along with you this Saturday ;). I really wasn't all that interested, but my daughter talked me into it. I don't want to go into this feeling I'm not going to like it, so I'm working to keep an open mind. I'm considering this a week of entertainment and relaxation, and will try not to focus on it being a cruise.

I cast another vote for the Radiance class. We did a TA on the Jewel last May, and loved every second of it. It was wonderful on all of those long sea days, with ocean visible from almost everywhere. I think I would have been claustrophobic with that many sea days on a ship with a promenade.

I've also had several outstanding cruises on Vision class. I just think the experience is so much more personal on the smaller ships. We meet more new friends, get to know the entertainment crew better, and generally find the level of service at a higher level than the bigger ships. I know that not every who cruises wants the same thing out of the experience, but these are the things that I got hooked on in the beginning and even as I try different cruise experiences, I keep coming back to the more intimate ships!

Who knows, maybe the Oasis will change my perspective. I'm excited about Saturday, because it's 7 days of fun and sun!

Oh I'm excited about the trip too....after all it's a cruise...what truly could be bad about that.....

I also love the Radiance Class on Royal, have been on two Jewel cruises and it's an elegant ship.

I'm sure we'll have fun, of that I have no doubt, just don't know if I'll leave the ship on the 15th with the feeling that once was enough....we'll see!!:D

To the OP, no need to apologize. You tried and did not care for it. Much different that the many negative Nellies that put the ship down without ever stepping foot on it.

Gracie, do not get worried over this one review. True that this ship is not for everyone but I have spent six weeks on board between the twins and they are by far my favorite ship that I have ever cruised. I had no problem with the feel of being on a ship. There are plenty of places to see the ocean. Also, we have traveled at different times of the year on these two ships and crowds have never been an issue. We even had over 2000 kids on one sailing and were only about 20 passengers away from having a totally full ship approaching 6300. I also never understand why so many complain about the WJ as there are many options on board that can easily replace that venue and there is no charge. I guess habits are hard to break for some. I can count on one hand how many times I have dined in the WJ on an Oasis class ships in the six weeks that we have spent on board.

I look at a review as one persons opinion. Nothing more. I appreciate that the OP gave an honest well balanced review but it's not something that would keep me from trying the ship. I have a cruised booked for June on one of the smallest ships in RCI's fleet. I am doing it for the itinerary and not the ship this time. The Radiance class is my least favorite as I found it to be the most crowded of any in the fleet and I know that the Splendour will be very similar. Go with an open mind. You may be pleasantly surprised. :)

I have a completely open mind and look forward to the experience....AND my DH is very excited about it...not worried about the not feeling like I'm on a cruise at all things...that's what my balcony is for:)...jsut tend to be claustrophobic in large crowds so a bit concerned about that...am sure it will all be fine!:)

not for the prices she goes for. not that willing to risk spending that much money only to be disappointed. we can only cruise once a year, if that, due DH's work obligations. we have been doing a lot of reading and researching on our own independent studies outside of CC. there was just too many features that turned us off to warrant taking a chance.

We cruised Oasis in October and had a blast. I do not recommend the windjammer. The food didn't have much taste. We were hesitant to eat in the MDR but actually did for 4 nights. That was a great experience. Food was great, people were nice. We had breakfast in the MDR one morning and wish we had every morning. It was good. I think the MDR and Park Cafe were our favorites that were inclusive in your cruising fare. We did not care for the windjammer or wipe out cafe. So again we all have different opinions but that was our experience.

Archived