Live from Allure- day2(better than one)

marciab

While our first day on the Allure was mostly chaotic and full of crowds - like most stated- it does get better.

If I had a do over, knowing what I know now- if I didn't have traditional dining I would absolutely book a specialty restaurant night one( and not the Samba) I would and am continuing to avoid the windjammer at ALL times- have walked through at least 5 times- always packed to the gills and the food doesn't look that great. On embarkation day the park grill was good for lunch, but waited a awhile- others have suggest Giovanni's - might be worth a try if you feel like Italian.

Day 2 actually started out pretty much like day 1. I went up to the fitness center and stopped by the vitality cafe for a quick bite before going in. After asking a simple question, I encountered the most rude employee I have ever come across on a cruise ship. I asked if they had any yogurt parfaits without nuts her tone of voice was like you stupid person- what you see out is all we have! When I asked if they had any plain yogurt she got more annoyed- must have been having a bad day! Got a fruit cup. I was really not expecting to be able to find an open elliptical, but even though it was very crowded there was one available.

For breakfast after checking out the crowded windjammer- we went back to the park cafe. Not great for breakfast- I had an egg mcmuffin thing that seemed to be sitting around awhile- my husband had a panini that was a little better.

We walked around after that, through Central Park , the Promenade and the Boardwalk and while there were still lots of people, certainly not like day one.my husband then went to exercise and I went to the pool. Despite the upper level being closed due to the winds, I was able to find a chair! I think it is a great ideal to have the towel deposit so people don't stake chairs all day!

For lunch we did checkout the windjammer - ha! Went to Rita's Cantina and had our first great meal.

Went back to the pool area in the afternoon, and we were able to find seats again.

Earlier in the day I tried to make reservations for MTD- only after8:30 was available. They assured me if we came after 7:30, the wait would not be so bad. We went down to dinner about 7:45 and waited in line 12 minutes. But didn't request a table for two. We always enjoy sitting with others and probably next time will go back to traditional dining.

We were seated at a table for six, but didn't get table mates until we were on our main course- thought that kind of weird but they were very nice and we enjoyed talking with them.

After dinner we tried for the comedy show- that tickets have been impossible to get, waited in line abt 10 minutes but the cut off was 6 people ahead of us, so we rushed down to try to see Chicago(had reservations the first night,but due to the lines at MTD got there too late) got seats in the last row. I really enjoyed the play, my husband thought it ok . I couldn't believe the number of very young(2-3) children at the 10:30 show, at least back by us.

All in all day 2 was a whole lot better than day 1. Halfway through day 3 is good as well.

I think with this size ship you REALLY need to do your homework first! For me, that's kind of why we like to cruise every year, because unlike land trips, where I will spend days/weeks on trip advisor finding the best hotels , restaurants and activities, I have never done much homework for cruises. We get on and figure it out.

I still stand by my whole day one review, but I'm confident that as of now, noon on Monday, we know what to do and not to do(for us).

On all past cruises we would have breakfast in the Windjammer or on Celebrity the Oceanview Cafe, loved the made to order omelette and eggs Benedict stations, but I didn't see any made to order in Allures Windjammer. Will give johnny rockets a try!

I am glad to know that you're doing better on your second day and you're 100% correct, that ship requires a lot of planning. And day 1 was definitely a mess, I am glad we had dinner at a specialty restaurant.

btw, you're not the first one that disliked the windjammer, I read a couple of times already.

I hope that will continue to enjoy your vacation :)

Hi Marcia, your Webshots albums in your Signature don't exist anymore.

Thanks for the update- all my photo albums were on webshots, and it appears as though there is no more webshots, bummer had quite a few albums - my pics are all still there,just in no order.

Don't forget Centeral park cafe for Breakfast..wonderful bagels :D

I loved Johnny Rockets on the Oasis, ate there every morning

Last week on the Allure we tried twice, under cooked eggs, cold hard toast a few other issuses, not sure what that was about. I did find most food on the ship to be very good.

Have a great cruise

I loved Johnny Rockets on the Oasis, ate there every morning

Last week on the Allure we tried twice, under cooked eggs, cold hard toast a few other issuses, not sure what that was about. I did find most food on the ship to be very good.

Agree about Allure Johnny Rockets disappointment compared to the great breakfast reviews had read going in. Our eggs were warm and the potatoes very hot, like right out of the fryer, but everyone who tried pancakes and waffles in our party were disappointed about how cold they were. I guess they were NOT made to order. Didn't find the staff particularly efficient and friendly and the chairs outside were uncomfortable.

I didn't try the donuts in the Boardwalk but the family reported they were good. I think avoiding the WJ is a good idea for any cruise but especially the larger ships.

ps Try the solarium for a different breakfast. There are traditional items and other things I wouldn't normally eat for breakfast but I bet lots of other cultures do. I enjoyed miso soup with shrimp and grilled vegetables and brown rice. It was not crowded and has a nice view.

We had breakfast this morning and yesterday in the solarium, has a limited selection, on the healthier side(only turkey bacon) but thats not a bad thing! The food had been good. Am thinking this is our best option. Might try Johny Rockets one day- but we tend to eat later and they stop serving breakfast at9:30.

Archived