New Cruiser - Going to St. Thomas

martinclm

We are completely new to cruising. Taking our first cruise this coming February. We'd kind of like to do our own thing on each of the ports.

Any recommendations for St. Thomas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I suggest reading the stuff regarding sonny or godfrey.

it was the best money we spent as a first timer.

he picks you up at the cruise port

downtown for shopping until noon

a 2 hour island tour- some of the views are breath taking

then to a beach

this costs us 25.00pp

We are completely new to cruising. Taking our first cruise this coming February. We'd kind of like to do our own thing on each of the ports.

I think St Thomas is an easy place to get around on your own. I'd suggest taking a taxi to one of the beaches. The route to and from almost inevitably involves getting up in the hills, so stop there for some photos. There are places to eat at many beaches as well as in Charlotte Amalie. There is a tram to a lookout point and bar near one of the piers. The other pier is close to west end beaches and nearby islands. Head north, east or west and you will find something nice.

There is much to do in St Thomas and you can do most of it on your own quite easily and safely. But you haven't indicated what interests you so it's pretty hard to narrow down the suggestions.

If shopping, even window shopping, for jewelry has any interest simply take a taxi from the cruise terminal to downtown Charlotte-Amalie. Fares are set and an internet search will turn up current rates - if memory serves it's around $4 pp each way, depending on the cruise terminal. In addition to more jewelry stores per foot than any place else in the western hemisphere except perhaps Philpsburg, St Maarten, there are numerous other shops aimed at tourists and an open air crafts market.

St Thomas is picturesque. Well worth a scenic tour. The tour companies mentioned by previous posters have good reputations.

Lots of beaches to choose from. Coki and Megan's seem to be two of the more popular ones. You can taxi to them.

If your are in port long enough a popular self guided excursion is to St John. You will find arguably the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean on St John - http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches.htm. One of the most popular and probably the most photographed beach in the Caribbean is Trunk Bay. It's part of a national park and boasts a snorkel trail just off the beach. One of the nicest parts of the trip to St John is the twenty minute ferry ride between the islands. Very pretty.

There is a cable car near the Havensight mall/cruise terminal. At the top is a lookout with a very nice view across the harbor, and a restaurant. If I recall correctly Princess usually docks at Crown Bay. So to get to Havensight one has to take a taxi to Charlotte-Amalie, then another taxi to Havensight. (Last time I was there I was totally unable to get a taxi that went between Crown Bay and Havensight.)

I am definitely interested in shopping. Wanting to buy some Cruzan Rum to bring home. But am also interested in getting some souveniors at all the ports as well. So basically sight-seeing, shopping, definitely want to take some pictures. Had some friends that went to St. Thomas and stayed at Sugar Bay Resort last year. Would love to go snorkeling, just don't know if we'll have time to do it all! Would definitely like to see both islands.

Princess docks at Crown Bay, usually. If you have never been to the USVI, I would like to suggest a shopping/island tour. You will see a bit of town, an overview of the island and maybe one beach. Coki or Sapphire are better for snorkeling, Magens for relaxing and beach walking. When you return for a longer land-based visit, you will have a better idea of what you want to do next. :)

An organized (group) tour that includes a beach stop, sightseeing, and time for shopping downtown is the easiest option for most folks on their first stop to STT. We hired a private driver for a more personal and customized experience, but even hiring a taxi will work too. But we, like you, prefer going on our own to try to avoid the long lines and crowds.

For us a great day on our first few cruises to STT would be time for shopping in town, sightseeing (the historic 99 steps area and the alleys in CA), and time to enjoy the view and a cocktail at Paradise Point. To add a beach we would recommend Sapphire Beach for good snorkeling and amazing island and water views. Coki is even more gorgeous but gets more crowded as it's a very small bay. Lindbergh (home of the BW Emerald Beach Resort) is much closer to your dock if you want to save time. No snorkeling but a pretty bay.

You can taxi or rent, STT is easy to drive but you should familiarize yourself with a decent map beforehand to layout your itinerary. A taxi to Sapphire and back to CA would run about $45/couple, add a little more if including PP.

Have a great first cruise!

So you think it would be better to just take a taxi rather than rent a car?

Unless you have some familiarity driving with narrow, twisting, "mountain" side roads I would strongly recommend taxis. At least for the first visit. The taffic between downtown CA and the cruise terminals can be brutal, especially between 4 and 6 pm, when most of the ships leave. Taxi drivers have experience negotiating the mess.

I am definitely interested in shopping. Wanting to buy some Cruzan Rum to bring home. But am also interested in getting some souveniors at all the ports as well. So basically sight-seeing, shopping, definitely want to take some pictures. Had some friends that went to St. Thomas and stayed at Sugar Bay Resort last year. Would love to go snorkeling, just don't know if we'll have time to do it all! Would definitely like to see both islands.

From your sig it appears you are on Ruby Princess. You'll be able to do some good shopping in St Maarten as well. Which also has very well regulated and nicer taxis. Orient beach, on the French side is georgeous and worth a few pictures.

The snorkeling area at Princess Cays while small, is quite good. The best snorkeling on the Ruby's Feb 3 itinerary would be a ship excursion to the off-shore wall.

STT is somewhat hilly and the roads do have curves, and traffic will be heavy around town late afternoon. But they are in excellent condition and are very easy to drive if you want that ultimate flexibility. For Tortola and St John I would want to make sure you would beOK with very steep and twisting roads, but STT is not that bad. But a taxi works too and is the most common choice, and if you return you'll have more confidence then!

Archived