If the Falklands visit is cancelled??

timetravellers

Anyone been on the Veendam or Seabourn Sojurn, both of which recently "cancelled", but for different reasons?

Wondered what you were told.

I see the Sojourn is planning to skip Argentine ports after recent issues.

It would seem that anyone keeping up to date on the current situation should be aware of the real reason for cancellations despite what passengers are being told.

The whole situation is troubling. I hope it resolves soon.:o

Tension between the Brits and Argentina over control of the Falklands/Malvinas has escalated in recent years. While there are many historical socio/cultural issues at play, the recent crisis has been precipitated by a desire to control oil rights off the shores of the Falklands.

Argentina has used a variety of means to isolate the Falklands, including threats to revoke use of Argentine ports in Patagonia and Buenos Aires by cruise ships who have stopped in the Falklands and denying flyover rights for flights between the Falklands and the South American continent, particularly flights to Chile.

Disagreements between the two countries over the Falklands goes way back in time. Tensions may be reduced from time to time, but territorial rights will remain in dispute imo.

Tension between the Brits and Argentina over control of the Falklands/Malvinas has escalated in recent years. While there are many historical socio/cultural issues at play, the recent crisis has been precipitated by a desire to control oil rights off the shores of the Falklands.

Argentina has used a variety of means to isolate the Falklands, including threats to revoke use of Argentine ports in Patagonia and Buenos Aires by cruise ships who have stopped in the Falklands and denying flyover rights for flights between the Falklands and the South American continent, particularly flights to Chile.

Disagreements between the two countries over the Falklands goes way back in time. Tensions may be reduced from time to time, but territorial rights will remain in dispute imo.

I seems as though it is particulary tense right now. I think I am "mentally" erasing the Falklands from my intinerary. This will probably result in an extra sea day, which certainly eases the disappointment!

Anyone been on the Veendam or Seabourn Sojurn, both of which recently "cancelled", but for different reasons?

Wondered what you were told.

I see the Sojourn is planning to skip Argentine ports after recent issues.

Peterscot,

Could you please tell me where you "see" that the Sojourn is planning to skip Argentine ports? I'm booked on the Sojourn for a cruise starting 2/3 and was told by Seabourn today (via my TA) that the schedule will remain as is (ie including Argentine ports).

• 2 weeks later...

The Veendam called in to Stanley yesterday and it was flat calm, so hundreds of passengers enjoyed the town and penguins. I spoke to many and none had been aware they were coming to the Falklands - all expected, and the Veendam schedule showed, they were going to Puerto Madryn!

The next port of call should be interesting to see the Argentine reaction.

Star Princess and some other ships are due in tomorrow.

A tip - despite the lovely weather in the morning, we had thunderstorms in the afternoon (very unusual). If you are coming ashore, do bring some weatherproof clothes, no matter how good the weather looks!

The Veendam called in to Stanley yesterday and it was flat calm, so hundreds of passengers enjoyed the town and penguins. I spoke to many and none had been aware they were coming to the Falklands - all expected, and the Veendam schedule showed, they were going to Puerto Madryn!

The next port of call should be interesting to see the Argentine reaction.

Star Princess and some other ships are due in tomorrow.

A tip - despite the lovely weather in the morning, we had thunderstorms in the afternoon (very unusual). If you are coming ashore, do bring some weatherproof clothes, no matter how good the weather looks!

Thanks for the update.

Archived