Ballroom dancing on the Princess ships

Dancersinstroud

On the bigger Princess ships there are two main lounges for before/after dinner music. One always seems to have the kind of music you are looking for. You can tango, meringue, waltz, etc to your heart's content. (Dancing with the Stars kind of stuff) One often times is either Motown or rock.

My gripe is that there is usually no current music available until the disco opens late at night. Where's the love, man?!!:D

We were on the Princess last year and had to be the youngest on board and we we were 67! (It was our 4th or 5th Princess cruise.) I have never seen so many people doing the waltz! My husband and I have been dancing, ballroom, since we met at 13. We both had ballroom dancing lessons starting when we were 7 years old.

It doesn't matter what music is played, we dance. Just keep in time to the music. Actually we usually dance the old fox trot and move around the floor. Many years ago we were asked if we were professional dancers, we love to dance.

Howebver on this Princess cruise they had in the atrium EVERY night a nice dance floor. But playing there was a violyn, chello and piano. Chairs were set up around the dance floor so old people could sit and listen to the music- you couldn't dance to this music!

Just go and dance to any music!

We've done ballroom dancing for several years and have found the Princess ships the best of those we've tried. They usually have one or two bands in the Wheelhouse lounge, typically around 7PM and later. There are other opportunities as well. The dance floors on Princess ships are real wood floors. Hopefully, this hasn't changed as we are leaving tomorrow for a cruise on the Emerald Princess.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are moving away from ballroom dancing; it's usually done on the marble floor in the atrium with a DJ (no band). The other "dance floors" are either marble or metal and are more suitable, maybe, to disco. Some of the metal ones are particularly dangerous as they are divided into sections by seams that present a trip hazard. On one Celebrity cruise, we had a problem with the floor in the atrium being sticky due to spilled drinks, due to the nearby bar. Also, you have pedestrian traffic to contend with.

We haven't been on Holland America in years, but they used to have decent dancing.

Also, we've found you can wear your dance shoes around the ship, as long as you don't go near one of the pools. Sometimes, the material used on the running track is rough enough to help brush the shoe soles, provided it's dry.

Art

We are ballroom dancers and thinking about booking a cruise on a Princess ship. But we do not whether the dancing on these ships is any good. Can anyone who knows about this tell us, please? Thank you

We are frequent Princess cruisers who love to ballroom dance and have always found some ballroom/latin music played where there is room to dance on our Princess cruises. I see you are from the UK like us and would recommend both P&O and Fred Olsen cruises if you are serious dancers as these lines provide really good quality dance music with some basic sequence dancing as well.

Yes they do...but.... We are Elite and have never been on a cruise where many people have actually got up and danced. There are dance classes which are generally well attended, but that´s as far as it goes. I would say don´t expect too much

Sandy in Spain

Don't expect too much from Princess in terms of ballroom dancing. There is dancing in the Wheelhouse, but most likey not exactly what you will be looking for. If you really want a ballroom experience while on a cruise, I would suggest checking out dancersatsea dot com. You will have a great ballroom dancing experience while at sea with them. :)

We are ballroom dancers who have never cruised with Princess. Can anyone tell us if Princess ships have ballroom dancing, and if so, can you please share with us any details about the extent and frequency of it? Thank you! (Dancersinstroud)

Yes. Comments apply to Grand Class ships and the Coral & Island Princess. Don't have any information on the small ships, and it appears from the Deck Plans that even though the new Royal does have a Wheelhouse Bar, there isn't any dance floor or bandstand in it.

Ballroom dancing to a live band is every evening in the Wheelhouse Bar from about 6PM to 11/12PM. There are some breaks, watch the Princess Patter for times. The music is Foxtrot, Latin, Swing, Quickstep, Waltz, that type of easy listening music.

Special Ballroom dancing hours many also be scheduled by the CD. The longer the cruise the more likely they are to schedule these activities. They might include alive big band hour, strict beat dancing to recorded music, jazz hours. I have seen these.

In Explorers Lounge they also have live music with dancing. This music is more modern and lively then the Wheelhouse Bar, songs like "Old Time Rock & Roll," "The Twist" and some slower stuff also. This live music is usually later at night. They also have theme nights in Explorer's.

The CD staff also runs ballroom dancing classes, but they are very basic.

On past cruises, we've found the bands in the Wheelhouse to be very accommodating and able to take requests for dance music. Usually, it's a good selection of foxtrots, waltzes, rhumbas, cha chas, etc. Also, the dance floors are wood. The last cruises we've taken on Celebrity and RCI, there hasn't been a good dance floor on the entire ship! Not to mention lack of decent bands.

Tip: patent leather dance shoes are good for men on formal nights in place of the heavy formal shoes. You can wear them around the ship - just be careful about wet areas on deck (and in rest rooms :rolleyes:). Also, if the running track on deck has that rough surface, you can use that to brush up the shoe soles, provided it isn't wet.

Art

My dad always had a pair of pants he called his dancing pants.... when unsuspecting folks asked why he called them that, he'd grin and reply that they had plenty of ballroom.

He's been gone for 17 yrs now, but there are plenty of those groaners that remain behind to entertain (or not) his progeny.

I would never take a "dance cruise" on any ship. The floors just aren't big enough to accomodate a lot of dancers and most of the groups come with too many women who sort of hover around the dance floor ready to grab any loose man--even if you happen to let go of yours for even a minute. :p

On most cruises, however, there is a small group of ballroom dancers and there are almost always dance venues available. We are currently on the Golden, returning from Hawaii and, while the band in the Wheelhouse leaves much to be desired, the can play decent dance music when pressed to do so. Left alone, they would do endless jazz riffs.

We have also had a lot of fun dancing to Elua in the Piazza most afternoons, and yesterday they had a ballroom showcase. Tonight they will have a ballroom orchestra in the Wheelhouse.

We also have a couple on this cruise who brought some excellent recorded dance music and they are playing it in the ballroom every evening from 4:00 until 6:00 p.m.

It all usually works out in the end.

My grandparents are avid ballroom dancers and they sail princess 3-4 times per year bc princess is one of the only cruise lines with wood dance floors and decent bands playing music you can dance to. They will not sail celebrity bc the new ships only accommodate dancing before dinner in the atrium which is terrible and only allows 2-3 couples to dance comfortably. The wheelhouse bar has eliminated some dancing hours. For example, there used to be dancing before early seating dinner around 5:00. This has been eliminated the past 3-4 cruises they have take . Bottom line is some dancing available but not as much as you would hope. I will be cruising with them on ruby in January so hopefully there will sufficient dancing as we like to have a dance too.

Sorry, caribill, I meant the Wheelhouse. I had "ballroom" on my mind.

I do notice, sad to say, that there is no dance floor in the Wheelhhouse on the Royal, and they have also eliminated Explorers. It will be curious to see if they have any dancing at all.

We too are avid ballroom dancers and compared with Celebrity cruises there are far more opportunities with Princess.

Until our last cruise aboard Island Princess our best ballroom/Latin experiences have been in the Wheelhouse bar.The band however were not as good as we've had before which was a shame as the floor in that bar is larger than those found on Emerald and Grand Princess.

Every evening in the Explorers lounge they played taped music for an hour or so and it was advertised in the Platter as Ballroom/Latin dancing. The music wasn't great and the volume not high as the venue doubled up for drinks and canepes for Platinum/Elite members.

For the ultimate dance cruise experience there is only one ship that fits the bill. Queen Mary II. Its dance floor is huge.

We are big time dancers, along with some of the other posts.

We have been on 6 Princess cruises(7-14 days), and we bring our own CD player along with our own music, and dance up in the Sky Walker lounge-- usually between 6-10 pm.

Sometimes we can get in an hour or two in the late afternoon if there is nothing scheduled.

We will dance in the Wheelhouse bar late evenings--usually waiting until they play something we can dance to.

I would never take a "dance cruise" on any ship. The floors just aren't big enough to accomodate a lot of dancers and most of the groups come with too many women who sort of hover around the dance floor ready to grab any loose man--even if you happen to let go of yours for even a minute. :p

On most cruises, however, there is a small group of ballroom dancers and there are almost always dance venues available. We are currently on the Golden, returning from Hawaii and, while the band in the Wheelhouse leaves much to be desired, the can play decent dance music when pressed to do so. Left alone, they would do endless jazz riffs.

We have also had a lot of fun dancing to Elua in the Piazza most afternoons, and yesterday they had a ballroom showcase. Tonight they will have a ballroom orchestra in the Wheelhouse.

We also have a couple on this cruise who brought some excellent recorded dance music and they are playing it in the ballroom every evening from 4:00 until 6:00 p.m.

It all usually works out in the end.

Unless you have traveled with Dancers At Sea, please do not comment on how they operate. I have traveled with them, and they are great. There is no excess of women hovering to snatch your man. They know ahead of time how many women and men are traveling with them and plan accordingly to have pro's to dance with the folks traveling with them. Traveling with a dance group you do not need to find partners, they are supplied for you. We had private times in the Wheelhouse for dancing as well as scheduled times in Club Fusion.

We are ballroom dancers who have never cruised with Princess. Can anyone tell us if Princess ships have ballroom dancing, and if so, can you please share with us any details about the extent and frequency of it? Thank you! (Dancersinstroud)
Let us know what ship/itinerary you are planning.

We are ballroom dancers and usually find a good small band in the Wheelhouse Bar, where there is a small dance floor, the width of which is about 2 to 3 Foxtrot steps. Styling is usually a problem for Latin dances because of crowding, but can be done carefully and tastefully.

In recent times (last year or two) there have been more ballroom activities scheduled, usually in the early evening. Some cruise directors will have a DJ in the Club Fusion/Vista Lounge, which has a decent size dance floor. Others will use the Explorer's Lounge for ballroom which can either be recorded music or live music with the stage band. We were even on one 10 day cruise with a ballroom dance competition.

I believe the increased ballroom dancing opportunities derive from an interest in the "Dancing with the Stars" (DWTS) TV show. (Holland America actually has some DWTS cruises next year with members of the show's cast).

We enjoy dancing on Princess and there is usually an opportunity each evening - check the Princess Patter onboard for scheduling, as these may be scheduled at "off times" for their lounges, whilst many are at supper.

We are not ballroom dancers, but love to spend our evenings in the Wheelhouse watching others while they enjoy themselves. The bands do seem to accomadate what music the majority of dancers request to be played. On our last cruise there was a couple who we loved to watch dance the waltz , floatling softly around the crowed floor without ever bumpng into anyone.

The video to be released in January about the Royal Princess will cover nightlife.

Hopefully it will answer questions about dancing opportunities on the Royal.

Thanks, caribill. I always worry about the future of dance music on cruise ships.

We just disembarked the Golden and were very disappointed in the band in the Wheelhouse. All of the dancers complained repeatedly to the band and the Cruise Director, as well as the purser's desk.

Sadly, the Cruise Director said, "Oh, I think they are a wonderful band". Obviously, she is not a dancer. Likewise, the band director would announce a song as a great "dance tune" which turned out to be totally undanceable. Maybe they should consult one of the ship's dancers before they hire a band.

On this cruise they didn't even have dance music prior to the Captain's party, which I have never before experienced.

On the plus side, the Hawaiian duo Elua did play some really lovely dance music in the Piazza from time to time, and there was an orchestra that also played danceable music, as well as a DJ and other recorded dance music.

I think the great disappointment to most of the dancers was that traditionally The Wheelhouse is the place to go to dance and was promoted in the Patter as a ballroom dance venue on this cruise. Sadly, the band didn't know dance music from howling cats. :(

My suspicion is that their reviews will be so bad that they will either be forced to add dance songs to their repertoire, or will not be invited back.

Thanks, caribill. I always worry about the future of dance music on cruise ships.

We just disembarked the Golden and were very disappointed in the band in the Wheelhouse. All of the dancers complained repeatedly to the band and the Cruise Director, as well as the purser's desk.

Sadly, the Cruise Director said, "Oh, I think they are a wonderful band". Obviously, she is not a dancer. Likewise, the band director would announce a song as a great "dance tune" which turned out to be totally undanceable. Maybe they should consult one of the ship's dancers before they hire a band.

On this cruise they didn't even have dance music prior to the Captain's party, which I have never before experienced.

On the plus side, the Hawaiian duo Elua did play some really lovely dance music in the Piazza from time to time, and there was an orchestra that also played danceable music, as well as a DJ and other recorded dance music.

I think the great disappointment to most of the dancers was that traditionally The Wheelhouse is the place to go to dance and was promoted in the Patter as a ballroom dance venue on this cruise. Sadly, the band didn't know dance music from howling cats. :(

My suspicion is that their reviews will be so bad that they will either be forced to add dance songs to their repertoire, or will not be invited back.

We had the exact same experience on Island Princess last month. The band we had in the Wheelhouse bar were called Phoenix Rising.

We did however have ballroom dance music at the start of the Captain's reception for Platimum plus passengers.