Choices are limited

kiawahdon

If one is looking for a luxury or even near luxury experience from MY perspective, the choices are getting more limited. Lets go down the list: Crystal is a no go due to small cabins, a port each day and having to cow-tow to a penguin each evening to eat on YOUR schedule as they do not have true open seating. Regent is easy as I will not pay for shore excursions I don't want to take, hotels that are over priced, and worthless butlers. We have to have a balcony, so that takes out the boutique small ships. Seabourn has a sweet spot if they would only recognize it and capitalize upon their advantage.

A couple of things need to be addressed in my opinion if they are to capture their true market share and position. First, a port a day and not having easy B2B itineraries is hurting them in increasing their penetration. Having ships do revolving 7 or 10 day itineraries with 5 or 8 ports is not, in my opinion, what the high end cruiser is looking for. Many will disagree, but I believe that Azamara with their emphasis on overnighting in many ports is the wave of high-end cruising. The ability to have dinner in Bordeaux, Seville, or Stockhom can not be lightly dismissed.

Bottom line is that I have an on board booking deposit with Seabourn, but my next 22 days

on a cruise will be on another line while I wait and see what 2014 brings for itineraries and reviews for Seabourn.

Kiawahdon,

You have initiated a most interesting discussion, one which the marketing gurus should certainly analyze for ideas from the segment Seabourn and its competitors mean to encourage! Let's hope for lots of feedback.

About overnights, I too enjoy them, not only for evening onshore activities that I might enjoy with other passengers, but to know that Seabourn's extremely hard-working crew can let their collective hair down. Their satisfaction with their roles are reflected in what do while on duty. That's a win-win for everyone.

I look forward to seeing what others think should be further emphasized by Seabourn.

Happy sailing!

Interesting, how we all see things differently.

I see that there is more choice then ever before. Yes, the number of cruise lines offering luxury cruising is the same but the number of ships offering them is greater then just five years ago translating to more choice both in terms of ships to sail with and itinerary.

In the end, figure out what works best for you but thankfully there is a lot of choice out there.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

Seabourn has many itineraries with overnights. In May were on the Pride and overnighted in Bordeaux and had two full days in Le Havre. When we were in SE Asia we had two days in Bangkok and two days in Saigon.They also seem to be trying to find a sweet spot in terms of length.I have noticed that perhaps in response to the many people who are still working and can't take the time for a two week cruise they have added a number of ten day cruises. They won't make everyone happy but they do seem to be trying to tweak the schedule. The move to add Antarctica was a very big deal -- I had long conversations on a recent cruise with a senior crew member very much involved in getting this set up. And of course if you really want a long cruise they have all of the world cruises.

Luxury cruise line? Doubt one exists today. Upscale, premium, non-mass market would be better words to describe the current market. The word I use is comfortable. Perhaps things will look differently after SB shrinks its fleet and they up the prices and product quality. Today, they are doing what they can to fill the ships. While I am quite comfortable while aboard Seabourn, in our search for luxury we have an upcoming voyage on Europa.

Luxury cruise line? Doubt one exists today. Upscale, premium, non-mass market would be better words to describe the current market. The word I use is comfortable. Perhaps things will look differently after SB shrinks its fleet and they up the prices and product quality. Today, they are doing what they can to fill the ships. While I am quite comfortable while aboard Seabourn, in our search for luxury we have an upcoming voyage on Europa.

Check the posts over on SeaDream about current trips. Both ships were in St. Barts and dinner guests were tendered to the opposite ship for several passengers who had friends aboard the other ship. Can't see that service on many ships. Also, the two ships combined the past passengers party as so many on each ship knew each other.:D

Check the posts over on SeaDream about current trips. Both ships were in St. Barts and dinner guests were tendered to the opposite ship for several passengers who had friends aboard the other ship. Can't see that service on many ships. Also, the two ships combined the past passengers party as so many on each ship knew each other.:D

However, certainly for us in the UK the cost for Seadream is a great deal more per day than Seabourn. And for me the emphasis on physical activity does not appeal so much to older less fit people. The last time we did Seadream, admittedly about four years ago, the wines were atrocious, and they were extremely unwilling to give you anything different, merely suggesting that we should have champagne. We also felt that there was little assistance in, for instance, disembarkation. The Activities Director, not a Cruise Director, tends to be more of a cheerleader. On the plus side, the pool is very good and quite large, and the food in the evening was very good - didn't think so much of breakfast and lunch.

As with everything, it is what appeals to a particular person most - for us it has come down essentially to Seabourn, malgre tout. But if you can afford to, you should try them all!:)

Maybe it's just me but lately I feel that people are taking the word "critic" in Cruise Critic too seriously. It seems that almost every new thread revolved around some issue which displeases someone whether it's smoking, food. wine, dress code, children and now itineraries. NOTHING is perfect. I agree with Keith that there are more choices than ever in the upper end of cruising. Pick the one that comes closest to your needs and go with it. It's really not rocket science. Why curse the darkness when you can light a candle?

Henry, it is not you. My wife often says (she doesn't read Cruise Critic but heres about it from some of our friends) that often people feel that they need to find fault because of the word "critic". In life, I have found that we can focus on the 95% of the things that go right or the 5% that go wrong. I prefer to focus on the 95% of things. Makes things a lot more enjoyable.

Nothing is perfect, including each of us. I think we have all made mistakes in life, in work, etc. and I know we were appreciative when others gave us the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes people forget that a cruise line has the added challenge of trying to offer services that one would find on land with the complexity of doing this at sea where so many things can go wrong from the weather to the provisioning of food. As a result, not every sailing is precisely the same.

With so many choices in luxury cruising and with even more choices when one considers the diversity in ships on some of the cruise lines there are lots of choices out there. One just has to open their eyes.

If one wants everything to suit only their tastes then it is best to charter a private yacht. Personally, I would find this quite boring and probably too costly. :)

And it one wants it all to be like it was be aware that the costs for cruising will be significantly higher then they are now and most cruise lines won't be able to operate in that environment. Of course if one wants it to be like it was, I always wonder if they are also willing to give up many of today's amenities that we find on cruise ships that we didn't find back in the day.

Keith

Again, I agree completely, Keith. I'm the first to admit SB is not what it was fifteen years ago. I also remember when flying Pan Am coast to coast meant having dinner at a table on the upper level of a 747 and being served caviar. Things change. It doesn't mean I'm going to let it interfere with my enjoyment of a cruise.

Again, I agree completely, Keith. I'm the first to admit SB is not what it was fifteen years ago. I also remember when flying Pan Am coast to coast meant having dinner at a table on the upper level of a 747 and being served caviar. Things change. It doesn't mean I'm going to let it interfere with my enjoyment of a cruise.

Sorry to remind you about the passage of time but PanAm went out of business in late 1991 - so your caviar was 21+ years ago !

I still remember being served Beef Wellington on Air Canada from Vancouver to Miami in 1987. Carved at seatside and was as good as I have had anywhere.

The fare was about the same as today even taking inflation into account but In those days I wasn't subsidizing the $99 seat at the back of the plane.

You can blame Southwest, Jet Blue et al for that.

Yes, things are different today.

There are indeed many nice amenities that were not available in "the day". At the same time there are some that are not provided but some of that has to do with people not desiring them while others are to keep prices down to be competitive. But, this is not unique to cruising.

To me we have so many more choices today then years ago and that includes the luxury cruising market. One just has to keep an open mind.

I still think that if you are going to spend a lot of money it's far better to focus on the 95% of what making cruising special and not dwell on those few things that go wrong. For us, we get so much more out of life (including travels and cruising) with this approach.

Keith

And many ships didn't offer bathrooms in every cabin and you paid to rent deck chairs in the 1960s. Some change isn't bad.

Yes, but when you rented the deck chair it was yours for the voyage. No chair hogs.:eek: And the Deck Steward wrapped you in the great woolen Cunard blankets (still have one from QE2 early days) and bring you bullion or whatever else you wanted. I guess fighting with chair hogs, wrapping yourself in a towel and schlepping your own drinks and snacks is "better".:eek::D Talking about Transatlantic Crossing, not a warm weather cruise but the chair hog issue arises from time to time. On Seabourn Spirit, we usually had someone ask about drinks and snacks. Not always, but often.

PLUS Seabourn's per diem fares a lower today than they were 15 years ago. Something's gotta give.

I really hope they raise the fares substantially otherwise, before you know it, they will be doing art auctions at afternoon tea and ties, suits and tuxedo's will be banned.

I don't think they'll ever do art auctions. However, as far as I'm concerned tuxedoes and suits could be banned tomorrow. They are far less in evidence now than they were five years a go and five years from now will only be a distant memory,

Hey conchyjoe,

I'm kind of new to CC but I'm sitting here in my Conchy Joe sweatshirt from Jensen Beach (gads, I think I was wearing it yesterday also). When I saw your moniker and that you were from "Earth", I immediately had you pegged as a Parrothead in Key West. No brainer. Now I read this post above in which you lament the potential passing of suits and tuxedos! I used to think I could figure things out but now I am very perplexed!

Hey conchyjoe,

I'm kind of new to CC but I'm sitting here in my Conchy Joe sweatshirt from Jensen Beach (gads, I think I was wearing it yesterday also). When I saw your moniker and that you were from "Earth", I immediately had you pegged as a Parrothead in Key West. No brainer. Now I read this post above in which you lament the potential passing of suits and tuxedos! I used to think I could figure things out but now I am very perplexed!

You are close, but no cigar !

Actually I wear shorts, a short sleeve shirt (and sometimes shoes) every day of the year, so heading off on a cruise and wearing a suit and tie is a novelty that I do enjoy. My wife also enjoys dressing up and putting on the jewels she normally has locked away at the bank - so it works for both of us. For a few weeks a year that is !

I don't think they'll ever do art auctions. However, as far as I'm concerned tuxedoes and suits could be banned tomorrow. They are far less in evidence now than they were five years a go and five years from now will only be a distant memory,

If they don't resort to art auctions on Seabourn then the next progression I foresee is the "Seabourn Cruise Club ... for only $289.95 per month (subject credit approval) you can take a one week cruise on the world's best cruise line with 0% financing and no payments until 2015 !"

Just returned from Quest.

Four Formal optional evenings,Ten elegant casual,four resort casual.

Have never seen so many men wearing ties on Elegant casual evenings and many wearing jackets on resort casual evenings.

80% of men wore a Tux on formal optional evenings,the rest a dark suit and tie.

I was prepared to see a very casual turnout in the Caribbean,but was pleasantly surprised.

Even the ladies scrubbed up well.:D

Mr Luxury,

I am pleased to learn that on your recent Quest cruise most of your fellow passengers supported the dress code. I am a big fan of tradition and elegance on these beautiful ships and so look forward to wearing my dinner jackets, both white and black, depending on the weather etc on Odyssey this February. Yes, everyone looks great when they make the effort!

(Of course the crew always do so and I maintain that passengers should at least look as good as do the crew.)

Happy sailing!

I am also a big fan of elegance, but our 10-day cruise in the Caribbean next week has but 1 formal optional night. To pack all that extra formal gear to be worn for 3 to 4 hours out of 10 days suddenly feels crazy to me. My husband will probably wear his navy blazer, gray pants and a spiffy shirt and tie.....all of which can be worn again other nights of the cruise. I have a great deal of respect for those of you who will take a tuxedo for 1 night.

On our 14-day Med cruise last May, there were 2 formal optional nights and I would say that only about 20% of men were in formal wear the first week and 30 to 40% the second. This is influencing me as well. However, I have not yet started to pack, so I could have a change of mind.

Tell me that a cruise in the Caribbean is more dress-up than the Med and I might change my mind.

Archived