Packing Assistance Please = )

BlondeCruiser24

Hi there!

Hubby and I are heading out on our first cruise in just 13 days ahh!! We are sailing with the Carnival Liberty to the Eastern Caribbean. This is our first time cruising...so I am a total newbie when it comes to just about everything.

I printed off a really nice packing list off of here...but now I am struggling with what I should pack where. We are taking one checked bag and then we will each have our small carry-on suitcases and a personal bag a piece.

So my question....what should we pack in each of our carry ons? What should we pack in our big checked bag (once again we are only taking one of those....to save some money). I prefer to be as organized as possible...so this may not be a huge deal to some, but is something my little perfectionist self wants in order ha ha. Thank you for all your help! God Bless!

In your carry ons or personal bags:

Identification, credit card, money, tickets/boarding passes

Valuables (jewelry, expensive camera, etc.)

Medications

Change of clothes and pool wear (you may not get into cabin right away & bags may take awhile to arrive).

Wine & soda (if carrying on, Carnival requires them in the carryons).

Hi-- welcome to Cruise Critic. Basically in your carry-ons and personal bags you should put anything valuable or critical-- for example jewelry, medications, cameras, phones, chargers. In your carry-ons there is a limit on liquids and sprays that you can get through security-- for more info go to your airline's website or TSA.gov. If you have anything heavy such as shoes you may to also put them in the carry-ons to save weight so you don't go over the limit. Just in case your checked bag gets lost, it would also be good to put at least 1 change of clothes for each of you.

I do hope you can get everything into 1 suitcase because even though you are cruising to the caribbean, you will still each need several sets of nicer clothes for evenings on the ship and dressy clothes for formal night if you eat in the main dining room.

Good luck and enjoy.:)

I would advise using the carry on to hold:

• Electronics [camera, kindle, iPad...]
  • Clothing suitable from check in through the first night's dinner [including a swim suit]
  • Wine [check with the cruise line on amount permitted, corkage charges]
  • Jewelry, makeup

I may be a bad example, as I bring a camera bag, computer bag and a carry on size rolling suitcase. My wife and I put our checked luggage in a single big bag [all clothing and shoes].

We learned the hard way, always pack anything you'll want/need/can't live without in your carry on.

I suggest a change of clothes, something to sleep in and toothbrush/paste in case your luggage doesn't make it (as happened to us).

Now, we shower a lot, and change clothes a lot. We typically go through 2-4 changes in a day. (oddly, my toddler goes all day in the same outfit unless I change her from shorts to a dress for dinner.)

Day wear, dinner, sleepwear, and for dh gym clothes. Dh typically showers on a cruise 2-4 times a day (wake up, before lunch, before dinner, before bed, after gym/pool if that doesn't fit in!). So I pack lots of under clothes, socks, shorts and tees. However, I only bring two pairs of shoes-my tennis shoes that I wear and slip on flats.

Dh can/does rewear pants for dinner, but never shirts.

On sea days, I often only wore one outfit, a comfortable skirt or flowing dress that I could also wear to dinner. (This time around, I wore most yoga pants during the day-I'm running around/on the ground with a toddler!)

....So my question....what should we pack in each of our carry ons? What should we pack in our big checked bag...

CarnivalGirl gave you the correct answer in the following statement:

We learned the hard way, always pack anything you'll want/need/can't live without in your carry on.

BlondeCruiser, the items that you consider essential and valuable are what should go in your carry-on bags.

First, imagine what will happen if your checked luggage does not show up and you need to go on the cruise without it.

What will you absolutely need to have with you to get by for the cruise without your checked luggage?

Next, imagine what will happen if your checked luggage never shows up at all. Of course you would be very unhappy and upset about losing any of your possessions.

But which items are the ones that you would be the most upset about losing permanently?

Answer those two questions and you will have your answer as to what you should put in your carry-ons.

Also, remember that cruise ships provide laundry and dry cleaning services. Often they comp them for passengers whose luggage is missing or lost.

So someone can get by for an entire cruise with only a few days worth of clothing if necessary.

Any and all valuables and anything you MUST have....Rx's and such, should be in your carry-on. Lock any luggage that isn't in your possession.

Pack as you would for a land-based trip to the climate you'll visit. You really don't need any "special" items on a ship!

It's a good idea to "cross-pack", too.....some of your stuff and hubby's stuff in each bag...that way, should something go missing, you'll each still have SOMETHING!!

Luckily, that rarely happens on the ship...missing luggage is more common on the airlines!

Ok....now I am getting very nervous about checking our bag with the airlines. Is this something I should be super worried about??

It can happen, but don't get overly worried about it. The only time I had a bag lost/delayed was when my flight was running late and it didn't get to my connecting flight. The airline delivered it the next day. I have never lost a bag on a non stop flight or when I had an hour (or more) lay over. Put your name, address, phone number in the bag, like was suggested, just in case it gets rerouted. Never put expensive items (electronics, jewlery, etc.) in your checked bag!

Archived