Cabo San Lucas

La Paz

Loreto

Guaymas

Topolobampo

Puerto Vallarta (2)

SD

Something to look into.

MS. Statendam on December 4th......sorry for butting in.

David

I'm definitely going to look into this one, thanks! ;)

I agree!! Last time I went there was in 2003!! :eek: That place was scary!

I tire of the crime excuse. If it was as bad a some make out everyone would be dead. The most scary place I`ve ever been is Jamaica and HAL is pretty ok with going there.

Yes, we on the East Coast get it about the long flights.

It is the same for us if we sail Alaska. LONG day of travel getting there and home.

It is unlikely I'll sail Alaska again because of the miserable travel days.

At Least you have direct flights from Boston to Seattle and etc.

We don't have any direct flights to anywhere. Now those are long days.

At Least you have direct flights from Boston to Seattle and etc.

We don't have any direct flights to anywhere. Now those are long days.

We don't have a lot of direct flights either. We used on have them to San Diego but no more. There is no way you get to Fort Lauderdale directly either.

Seems like the only trips to Mexico (HAL) now are on ships that I have zero interest in sailing on. The Statendam tops that list for me. I will pick Princess for cruises to Mexico. They usually have the Sapphire for that trip and it's a nice ship.

I absolutely loved this cruise and enjoyed every port, some more than others. Loreto, La Paz, and PV were lots of fun. I felt completely safe in every port just walking around, riding the local bus, etc. including Mazatlan.

Going to Mazatlan and Topolobampo does involve considerable distance, and if the new practice is to go slow to reduce fuel cost, that would be one explanation why this delightful cruise is no longer offered.

Echoing the sentiments of other posters, murders (sometimes several) in the city of Washington DC and surroundings are daily occurrences. I'm certain the same applies to LA, one port for this Mexican itinerary. There are some places in Mexico and Central America known for violence, but none of the ports on this itinerary falls into that category. I believe there has been a tourist fatality in Mazatlan. While this is very disturbing and sad, we have to remember that quite a few tourists from all over have been murdered in Miami, and no one shut down tourism there.

I would jump at the chance to visit the Sea of Cortez ports again. I have missed "accessible Mexico".

Guess we should have added that the State of California also did a lot to reduce their attractiveness to cruise lines by imposing their own large ship fuel requirements. These rules require ships calling at CA ports to use low sulphur fuels when they near the coast. For the many cruise ships that still burn fuels such as bunker crude this means they must carry separate fuel for just the CA ports and swith-over when many miles out to see. This costs additonal money for the cruise lines in a cruising area where its already difficult to demand high prices. Although this is certainly not the main reason cruise ships have cut-back on Mexican cruises it is a contributing factor.

Hank

Do look into that, dobiemom. Mind you I would not get off the ship in Topolobompo - been there too often & nothing for me. Is it the Statendam? :)

By the time we got to Topolobampo, I was exhausted! So I will get off the ship next time. ;) Yes, it's the Statendam.

One of the reasons we are trying out Princess for the first time this Sept (rather than our usual HAL) is the Mexico itinerary, including Loreto and La Paz, along with departing from San Francisco. No all day flight, just an easy drive.

We have done a number of Mexico cruises and have always felt safe. On the other hand, we will NOT cruise anywhere near the middle east as that area, IMO, is the least safe for any American.

One of the reasons we are trying out Princess for the first time this Sept (rather than our usual HAL) is the Mexico itinerary' date=' including Loreto and La Paz, along with departing from San Francisco. No all day flight, just an easy drive.

We have done a number of Mexico cruises and have always felt safe. On the other hand, we will NOT cruise anywhere near the middle east as that area, IMO, is the least safe for any American.[/quote']

We are off to the middle east for the third time in the past several years. Perfectly safe as well as our experiences in Mexico too. Don't paint with too broad a brush because the Middle East is very, very diverse. The one place riddled with crime is the Caribbean, yet few mention staying away from there.

Chips, salsa, cerviche and cerveza are always good reason to get off in any Mexican port.

(Please follow all due cautions for establishment sanitation and prior recommendations)

There is absolutely nothing at Topo. - never mind chips and salsa & Cerviche - only beer & that is not my cup of tea. The closet town is a dirty dump and the restaurant we chose of the two was not to my liking. :eek:

We don't have a lot of direct flights either. We used on have them to San Diego but no more. There is no way you get to Fort Lauderdale directly either.

Seems like the only trips to Mexico (HAL) now are on ships that I have zero interest in sailing on. The Statendam tops that list for me. I will pick Princess for cruises to Mexico. They usually have the Sapphire for that trip and it's a nice ship.

Fortunately, there are still direct flights from Toronto Pearson, YYZ to Ft. Lauderdale, FLL! ;)

We went to the beach when ported in Topo. (After our previous cruise when we took the train to the Copper Canyon) Had a nice, relaxing day at a quiet restaurant on the beach. Only drawback was that I was then on a one year restriction on blood donation because they said it was a malaria zone. :-(

Some people paid really low fares and spent little on board from what I have read. Given the danger factor, it's not surprising they don't sail there now.

HAL stil has cruises to Mexico from San Diego. The Zaandam leaves tomorrow for the New Year's Eve cruise. And the ship is full. :)

We went on Holland a few times to these

different ports. Really liked them. Nice to

see other/new ports.

Yes it's a shame.. Guaymas built a new area.

They had food and music to greet you. The

most stops were made by Holland. They lost

money on that.

Bring back the ports .

Archived