Venture with Bill & Mary Ann on the 2013 GW Voyage "Postcards from Paradise" 115 days

WCB

When we were on the Amsterdam in December, the water was shut off one day from 10:30 AM to 1:00PM for maintenance when we were in Puerto Quetzel. Luckily we were off the ship at the time. Also heard a report that one man was without water for four days - that would not be pleasant. He was most unhappy and said nothing like that would happen on the Noordam.

Report # 17 General San Martin, Peru January 16, 2013 Wednesday

The port of call today was a lesser known port in Peru by the name of General San Martin. We can say for a fact that there is nothing there in the form of a town or settlement, but General San Martin serves as a deepwater port for nearby Pisco. You will have a hard time finding an area that is so desolate with wind-blown sand dunes, void of any apparent plant or animal life on land.

However, what brings this place to life are the abundance of fish, birds, and the byproduct of their fertilizer. In fact, the nearby Bay of Paracus is home to a reserve with the highest concentration of marine birds in the world. Guanay comorants, Peruvian boobys and pelicans, Chilean flamingoes, Humboult penguins as well as large colonies of sealions inhabit this area.

We went on our first HAL tour this morning that took us to the ruins of Tambo Colorado, followed by a demonstration of weaving, and finally a lunch at a private hacienda. There was a rather small gathering of guests who had booked tours in the Queens Lounge this morning. There was a time when you could only find standing room, waiting for your ticket number to be called. It could be that many repeat passengers have "been there, done that", or the prices have climbed significantly. We think it is a combination of both. The plus side to this is a short wait and more space on the buses.

In hindsite, had we known prior to booking a tour here, we would have taken the free shuttle provided by the Port Authority, which took guests to nearby Paracus, a small quaint fishing village. On our two previous visits, there had been no transfer or any way to get anywhere else. So we took a chance that this tour to Tambo Colorado was different from the tour we took 10 years ago while sailing on Radisson's Mariner around South America.

It was very soon in the ride, that we recognized the rolling sand dunes that turned into fertile agricultural valleys. According to our guide, fertile soil lies inches beneath the sand, and by adding the bird guano, many crops can be grown here. We saw fields of asparagus, corn, cotton, several varieties of potatoes, and root vegetables. Funny thing about the asparagus. We love it, and we also grow it at home. But the Peruvians never acquired a taste for it. The crop is exported worldwide. Another huge industry here is wine. Grapes are grown for table wines and fresh grapes, as well as for pisco, a wine used in making the tasty national drink of pisco sours. Twenty thousand acres are dedicated to the vineyards. All of this is grown with the absence of rain. Their water is underground and also delivered by rivers that swell from the rains and snows of the Andes Mountains. Everything is either drip irrigated or gravity flooded. And because the water is precious, the locals are restrictly to 6 hours of water a day. Three hours in the morning and three in the evening.

As we neared the ruins out of Pisco, we began to gain altitude. We were entering the foothills of the Andes. They were not covered with trees. In fact most of the trees we spotted were palms, brought in from elsewhere. The winds here can be hurricane force we understand. This area marks the beginning of the Atacama Desert, which happens to be the driest place on earth. The most moisture they get is in the form of fog. Our guide said the temperature can reach 112 degrees with a low of 48 degrees.

We reached the ruins after an hour and a half ride, partly on the Pan-American highway, the same one we sailed under, the Bridge of the Americas, going through the Panama Canal. It continues all the way down to the bottom of South America. Yep, these ruins were the same ones we toured 10 years ago. It was warm, muggy, windy and the same ruins. So one of us hung back, while the other went with the group to walk through the complex. It was just as interesting watching a local Peruvian girl creating souvenier bracelets and windchimes with beads, shells, and the Amazonian fish scales. Made in Peru, we like that. So upon leaving, we happily bought a windchime to hang in our room from her. That's always money well-spent we think.

The next stop was at the textile workshop in Sumaqkay. It had been described as artisans at work creating weaving of the local Indian tribes. However, what we found were a few young fellows behind the old looms, sort of demonstrating how the looms worked. Our guide was nowhere to be found, so we did not have an explanation of the weaving process. The main attraction here was the Indian band, the shop, and a table full of pisco to be tasted. We considered trying the wine, but found there were no disposable cups. Didn't matter to the tourists....they used and re-used the same shotglasses. No wonder everyone is getting sick. Of course, we passed that scene, and checked out the store. The handbags were really nice, but also really pricey. Tablemates Van and Carol were also there on a different bus. She said if you compared these purses to those sold at Neiman Marcus, they were a good deal. So it depends on how you look at it.

Continuing on, we drove through the gate of the farm where we were headed for lunch. Before driving through their tangerine orchard, the bus had to pass through an insecticide spray to clean it of bugs. Never saw that before. Anyway, the family had a very nice garden area set up for our two buses with a covered gazebo and pre-set tables. As soon as we sat down, pisco sours were served along with hot macadamia nuts grown on their ranch. Since our bus was the first to arrive, we all had at least three pisco sours before the next bus arrived. In fact, six dancers of African descent entertained us until they arrived. A band of about five fellows played a variety of drums, giving the place the feeling that we were in Africa instead of Peru. The history here is that slaves were brought from Africa to work in the huge farms a few hundred years ago, and their descendants are still here. They put on a great show.

Canapes of small boiled potatoes, spicy dips, and fried yucca were served before the lunch buffet was ready. They offered white rice, a beef stew, mixed veggies with Lima beans of course, potatoes, and dessert. That was the best. Strawberries, melon chunks and mango was drizzled with honey and a chocolate sauce. Even a layer cake was served with the fruit. Very nice, except for the tiny bugs that plagued our plates. You had to eat quickly.

We were back to the ship by 4pm, and sailed away shortly after 5pm. All were hoping to see some of the petroglyphs on the hillsides, like we did a few years ago. However, Captain Mercer sailed directly southwesterly, with no intentions of a scenic sailing. Perhaps the tides were wrong for the viewing. What we did spot were dozens of large, ugly jellyfish in the wake of the ship. Wonder if they are poisonous?

Dinner was good tonight. We both ordered the blackened chicken caesar salad for our entrees. They are doing things right this year.....the salads are crispy, ice cold, and not drowned in dressing. It is not added until they are served.

We had a visitor at our table right before we all said goodnight. She is a former tablemate that claimed an unbearble man was stalking her, and he ended up at her table this evening. She had met him on a Cunard trip, and did not like him then. It must be a small world, because he's baaaaccckkk.

We are now going to be at sea for five days on our way to Easter Island. Hope the weather is good.

Bill & Mary Ann

Loving your journey, can't wait for each days posting. We were in Pisco, and also the small fishing town in 2008 shortly after a huge earthquake that caused massive damage. The roads from the port had huge cracks in them and people were living in outside near the structures. Again, thanks for the blog.

I am curious. Did you have to have a Yellow Fever shot to visit Manta Ecuador? We are on the Splendor of South America cruise in March/April and Holland says vaccination is required for Manta. I visited the CDC web site to see what they said and came away more confused than when I started. Any help would be appreciated. Greg

I am curious. Did you have to have a Yellow Fever shot to visit Manta Ecuador? We are on the Splendor of South America cruise in March/April and Holland says vaccination is required for Manta. I visited the CDC web site to see what they said and came away more confused than when I started. Any help would be appreciated. Greg

We were on Princess in March and nothing special for Manta.

GregnChris,

In my experience of numerous cruises and land tours in South America, the requirements for a Yellow Fever shot in some countries is totally dependent on what countries you visit prior to the port requiring the shot. Unfortunately I do not remember the combinations that led to a required shot and those that did not. Believe whatever the cruise line tells you about what is needed for your specific cruise. DO NOT base your beliefs on what others say is it is totally itinerary driven.

Especially for older folks in the past there at least used to be a way to avoid the requirement IF, and that is a major IF, you have a letter from specific types of physician that you cannot receive the shot and why. There used to be specific requirements on what Physicians could provide such a letter but I do not know about that now. On our last SA cruise ( two years ago) my husband fit that category, but we just went ahead and got the shots as it seemed easier for another possible 10 years of cruising with one less hassle.

PLEASE DO believe what your cruise line tells you as IF it is required for one (or more) ports, you will NOT be able to board the without the shot or a legal letter. In the past we have seen folks denied boarding for this reason. (On a cruise many years ago where Yellow Fever shots were required, in Fort Lauderdale there was a clinic a few miles from the ship that provided Yellow Fever shots for folks who did not believe the cruise line. I remember there were several taxis lined up specifically to take folks to the clinic. Some folks we knew had to go this route - an boy did they pay!!!! I do not remember the figures, but the clinic really made out well for each shot, as did the taxi drivers. I have no idea if such an option still exists.

I think everyone thought you were on the Carnival Splendor. I see that you are actually on the Veendam going from Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale. I did that route on the Prinsendam and a yellow fever shot was required before I boarded in Buenos Aires. The reason is that you will be in Peru which does have yellow fever before going to Manta, Ecuador.

I agree with previous poster, if your ship says get the shot----get the shot!!!

Thanks "Storylady" and "wander" for the responses about Yellow Fever. When I looked at the Ecuador listing on the CDC site, it says that YF vaccine is not recommended for the Manta area. So I was wondering why HAL was telling us we needed one. But the explanation that we are coming from Peru, which has some YF areas before Ecuador makes sense. Both my wife and I are 64, so we have to discuss this with our MD, since CDC does not recommend the YF shots for folks over 60. We may have to go with the medical exception rule.

Thanks again, everyone. Looking forward to the trip.

Thanks "Storylady" and "wander" for the responses about Yellow Fever. When I looked at the Ecuador listing on the CDC site, it says that YF vaccine is not recommended for the Manta area. So I was wondering why HAL was telling us we needed one. But the explanation that we are coming from Peru, which has some YF areas before Ecuador makes sense. Both my wife and I are 64, so we have to discuss this with our MD, since CDC does not recommend the YF shots for folks over 60. We may have to go with the medical exception rule.

Thanks again, everyone. Looking forward to the trip.

I also needed the YF shot for this area. I actually got the shot for another cruise in 2006. At the time I was 45 and it made me feel like I had yellow fever. It's a good idea to talk to your MD.

Archived