Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

Hi Pam!

If I remember correctly her portrait was tucked away (and almost out of sight) behind one of the ascending staircases in the small atrium. The beautiful, large 'birds' sculpture titled 'Spindrift' was actually more the centerpiece than the portrait. And as mentioned in the post by 'Phyljim' Princess Cruises could do a mini-version of a Heritage Trail similar to what Cunard does, where they could showcase images of the previous Royal Princess (I) and Royal Princess (II) named ships. That would be an excellent place where mention could be made of the Godmother for Royal Princess (I). I wonder if the portrait of Princess Diana now graces an important place in the headquarters of Princess Cruises or P&O?

Hey, the way I look at it is since we are all going on Royal Princess we all win! :D

Just have to make that pesky Final Payment date...;)

P.S. If I ever need a pick me up I just click on this and imagine it's me pulling into St. Thomas or Saint Martin...

:D

Or Venice.....:):D:)

Bob

:) A question for those who have been on the new Royal: is Princess Diana's painting on the ship? I wondered shared happened to that. Is there a painting of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge? Just curious.

Pam, I posted the question on Princess' Facebook page and they've responded:

Princess Cruises: Hi Joel! Yes, the portrait of Princess Diana from the earlier Royal Princess is safely kept at our corporate offices. There is so much fun memorabilia we should have a museum!

Maybe we should encourage them to start that museum.

Joel

Royal Princess in Istanbul during her June 29th visit. Love the contrasts between the white upper superstructure against the dark sky...

9245477561_99135f43f6_b.jpg

(Credit Frank Behrends)

Now that's a picture. October 9th is just around the corner.....:):):)

Bob

Princess Cruises: Hi Joel! Yes, the portrait of Princess Diana from the earlier Royal Princess is safely kept at our corporate offices. There is so much fun memorabilia we should have a museum!

Joel

In which case, they'd need a Ph.D.-holding historian to curate it for them. I know where they could find such a person . . . !

Pia will be doing a "Live from." She does them so well that it would be pointless for me to do one, too. But I'll be posting and hopefully, contributing.

:)

We are boarding in Barcelona on Sept. 27th, so look for the LIVE to begin that same evening if internet allows. This will be a new thread on the Princess board and titled something like: Live from the Royal Princess 30 days.....Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks for the kudos Pam.

:) It gets confusing. All I know is that I'm boarding in Venice and looking forward to experiencing the Royal for the first time. It'll be a little weird to be on "the Royal" and have it be a really big ship. I sailed on original Royal Princess and her successor.

A question for those who have been on the new Royal: is Princess Diana's painting on the ship? I wondered shared happened to that. Is there a painting of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge? Just curious.

Watched the Bachelor last night and the stunning scenery in Madeira. Can't wait! I really want to do the wicker basket ride but it's not on the tour I'm doing.

Hi Pam,

I too have been on the inaugural of all 3 Royal Princess cruise ships. The first one was very special because they were filming the Love Boat Panama Canal on the 17 days cruise.

The portrait of the Duchess of Cambridge is on Deck 5. When you are walking from the Atrium on the way to Passenger services and the Enclave Spa it will be on your left above a counter that had fresh flowers when I was aboard. It is an interesting fact that she signed the Portrait "Catherine". It was hard to get a good picture of it though due to the lighting.

I hope you enjoy the Royal as much as I did, the 21 days passed very fast.

Joyce

I wonder if I drove up to Cupertino they'd let me see it. Hmm... I'll have to ask on their FB page.

I'll have been on all three Royals but this is the only inaugural or "Maiden" one. I was on the last cruise of the original Royal Princess, a 3-continent cruise that went from Manaus to Dakar, up the coast of Africa and to the Med to Rome. Fabulous cruise.

Watched the Bachelor last night and the stunning scenery in Madeira. Can't wait! I really want to do the wicker basket ride but it's not on the tour I'm doing.

Just didn't figure you as a Bachelorette fan, Pam...

We diverted to Madeira on the Ruby TA last year to miss a hurricane near the Azores. As you saw last night, Madeira is beautiful. We're doing the gondola / basket ride on a Princess excursion. Looks like fun.

Lew

I am wondering if all floors go from front to back with the elevators to get to dining rooms,etc or do you have to go to other floors to access rear elevators,for example to get to dining areas like on the Emerald Princess?

The difference is that all four of the aft elevators go down to the aft dining room, not just two of them as with the Grand class.

Hi Pam

We have just returned from our cruise on The Royal Princess & there most certainly is a beautiful portrait of Duchess Kate & for memory you will find it near the pursers office surrounded by a lovely arrangement of flowers. She is looking gorgeous. Enjoy !!

All the best

Jenny

Hi,

here are some shots of the extended balconies taken onboard.Some are taken from the balcony of D434-they at least give an idea of what the view is, what the obstructions may be and also the size differebne of those with the angled bits.

DSCN0046.jpg.c2bbc527b897c4b69c1f3c143da5c625.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg.30244fd2adbd967bfb046d16562b6b68.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg.973e0f1e8ab5404f4d32689970a8758e.jpg

DSCN0946.jpg.3f4048fec38fada2a7cb36aec6e12a75.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg.2167a73acbf5ef7a7e281355cbba9bce.jpg

We are boarding in Barcelona on Sept. 27th, so look for the LIVE to begin that same evening if internet allows. This will be a new thread on the Princess board and titled something like: Live from the Royal Princess 30 days.....Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale..

Great, Pia. It will be fun to follow along with You, Pam, and the others on your Live thread!

sue

I wonder if I drove up to Cupertino they'd let me see it. Hmm... I'll have to ask on their FB page.

If you do indeed ask them that question, I am curious as to their answer. Please let us know.

This is the first time that I am gonna on the cruise. I accompanied with my mother and her friend for this experience. I am told with so many negative warnings from friends that kinda hold me up.

We are going sailing on the "Royal Princess" on August 22nd from Venice to Barcelona. Can you please kindly advises:

1) we would like to spend a night at Venice and Barcelona. Where should we stay?

2) excursions.... It looks so expensive to join the excursion via Princess. But my friends told me to stick with them for safety reasons. Should I do that? Or any other suggestions? It will be really expensive to go on all, what will be the ports that I should not missed?

3) I am kinda nervous myself for this trip, especially with two ladies who doesn't speak the language.. anything I should be more cautious?

Thanks a million!

NYH.:)

My husband and I stayed in Barcelona prior to our cruise and Venice after the cruise finished at great and reasonably priced hotels. We took private tours in every port, at about half the cost of what Princess charged. Our group sizes ranged from 4 to 12 people. We had wonderful experiences on every one of them. The tour companies will get you back to the ship on time, don't worry. Their business depends on it! I will be writing a review soon, but if you want details feel free to send me a pm. For what it is worth, one of the couples we toured with did about half their tours privately, and half through Princess. At the end of the cruise, they said they'd never do a ship's tour again. But, to each their own, and I'm sure other's will have a differing opinion. Again, feel free to contact me for more information.

Hey Pia - wish George and I were joining you and Mike and Franky and Jack on the inaugural ta. We had such a good time with you all on the Grand last February. Warm the ship up for us so she will be all ready for us next February. We are in one of those deluxe verandas on Emerald deck but one with the larger funky shaped balcony - E409 - check it out for me. Looking forward to see what Princess has done with the new design. So how many hundreds of days are you up to now. Take care - Barb (cruisequeengoddess)

We stayed in Barcelona last November prior to our ta and booked our own hotel independently - a lot cheaper. Then a group of 10 of us booked a van for transport to the port - about $10 pp. Be sure and stay alert in Barcelona as their unemployment rate is sky high so pickpockets and theft is the job of choice. We were robbed of a carton bag in the lobby of our 4 star hotel. Quite annoying and inconvenient and the police are ho hum about it. We booked our tours through independent tour companies and worked together on it on our CC roll call. We had no problems. Enjoy!

My husband and I stayed in Barcelona prior to our cruise and Venice after the cruise finished at great and reasonably priced hotels. We took private tours in every port, at about half the cost of what Princess charged. Our group sizes ranged from 4 to 12 people. We had wonderful experiences on every one of them. The tour companies will get you back to the ship on time, don't worry. Their business depends on it! I will be writing a review soon, but if you want details feel free to send me a pm. For what it is worth, one of the couples we toured with did about half their tours privately, and half through Princess. At the end of the cruise, they said they'd never do a ship's tour again. But, to each their own, and I'm sure other's will have a differing opinion. Again, feel free to contact me for more information.

Hey Pia - wish George and I were joining you and Mike and Franky and Jack on the inaugural ta. We had such a good time with you all on the Grand last February. Warm the ship up for us so she will be all ready for us next February. We are in one of those deluxe verandas on Emerald deck but one with the larger funky shaped balcony - E409 - check it out for me. Looking forward to see what Princess has done with the new design. So how many hundreds of days are you up to now. Take care - Barb (cruisequeengoddess)

LOL. A lot. But still far from the 1000 mark.

Hello,

I will be writing a real review soon, but I wanted to take a moment to just way, WOW! We boarded in Barcelona on June 23 and the entire process from walking up to the counter to walking to the ramp to board was maybe five minutes. Smooth process. All the staff we encountered were friendly and ready to help. The Royal Princess is a gorgeous ship. The décor is beautiful, the atrium is breathtaking, the cabins very comfortable. My husband is 6'4" and we had a standard balcony cabin and we didn't find it cramped in any way. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was big enough to do what we needed to do in there, and the balcony was completely adequate. Could we hold a dinner party out there? No. But unless your plan is to do some serious entertaining there I don't understand all the fuss about balcony size. Ours had two chairs and a small table on it and it was all we needed. The food was great, the pizza and pastries spoiled us rotten, there were plenty of pool chairs available (even on at sea days, although they did run out of towels several times), and the ship never felt cramped. The lack of a center staircase was a bit of a pain sometimes, if you think waiting for an elevator all the time will be an issue for you I'd advise booking a cabin closer to the ends of the ship. Cruise Director Ron was ever present, and Assistant Cruise Director Dan was HILARIOUS. The staff onboard was eager to please, especially the wait staff and those serving around the pool. The lines at the passenger services desk were long and that was probably the most frustrating thing to deal with. It took forever to get through, they definitely needed more staff there, and we did find that some people there were more knowledgeable than others.

Sorry, this got longer than I intended. I just wanted people to know they should take all the negative reviews (which is mainly what I have seen so far) with a grain of salt. Was everything perfect? No. Was it close? For us, yes. We had 12 days on a beautiful ship seeing some of the world's most beautiful places, being waited on hand and foot. I'm counting my blessings rather than nitpicking. I'm so happy for those of you that still have trips to look forward to. Get lost in your excitement and enjoy!

Hello,

I will be writing a real review soon, but I wanted to take a moment to just way, WOW! We boarded in Barcelona on June 23 and the entire process from walking up to the counter to walking to the ramp to board was maybe five minutes. Smooth process. All the staff we encountered were friendly and ready to help. The Royal Princess is a gorgeous ship. The décor is beautiful, the atrium is breathtaking, the cabins very comfortable. My husband is 6'4" and we had a standard balcony cabin and we didn't find it cramped in any way. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was big enough to do what we needed to do in there, and the balcony was completely adequate. Could we hold a dinner party out there? No. But unless your plan is to do some serious entertaining there I don't understand all the fuss about balcony size. Ours had two chairs and a small table on it and it was all we needed. The food was great, the pizza and pastries spoiled us rotten, there were plenty of pool chairs available (even on at sea days, although they did run out of towels several times), and the ship never felt cramped. The lack of a center staircase was a bit of a pain sometimes, if you think waiting for an elevator all the time will be an issue for you I'd advise booking a cabin closer to the ends of the ship. Cruise Director Ron was ever present, and Assistant Cruise Director Dan was HILARIOUS. The staff onboard was eager to please, especially the wait staff and those serving around the pool. The lines at the passenger services desk were long and that was probably the most frustrating thing to deal with. It took forever to get through, they definitely needed more staff there, and we did find that some people there were more knowledgeable than others.

Sorry, this got longer than I intended. I just wanted people to know they should take all the negative reviews (which is mainly what I have seen so far) with a grain of salt. Was everything perfect? No. Was it close? For us, yes. We had 12 days on a beautiful ship seeing some of the world's most beautiful places, being waited on hand and foot. I'm counting my blessings rather than nitpicking. I'm so happy for those of you that still have trips to look forward to. Get lost in your excitement and enjoy!

Thanks so much for your mini review:D Glad you enjoyed the cruise and I look forward to your full review. We have such a long wait till our cruise on the Royal and reading the experiences of others helps to make the time go faster.

Archived