Excursions for St Petsrsburg and Berlin

Seal

We booked independently in St Petersburg with Red October. We joined a group from our Roll Call. Absolutely fantastic, cant recommend highly enough. We saw way more in two days than you could possibly see on a ships tour.

As to Berlin, I don't actually recommend that you do that. You will spend more time getting there and coming back than you actually get to spend there. Warnemunde is a super charming lovely beach town. Depending on when you're there, the beach is just fantastic and there are tons of little cafes, restaurants and inns all over. You can also take the train very easily into Rostock, which has a gorgeous mideval town square and other sights.

Agree with Cruisin'Chris. In St. Petersburg, we booked a 2 day private tour with SPB tours with a group on our Roll Call. Very easy to do.

In my opinion, Berlin is too far away to warrant a few hours visit. We took the train to Rostock and Schwerin (there's a beautiful castle in Schwerin). On return, we walked around Warnemunde - pretty seaside town.

We opted to spend 3 days in Berlin as part of our pre cruise land trip. There was still not enough time to see all the sights, but certainly better than just spending a few hours. We flew from Berlin to Copenhagen on Air Berlin (it's only a one hour flight), where we started our cruise.

I highly recommend SPB Tours for both St. Petersburg and Berlin. The owner, Viktoria Rather, takes a personal interest in every tour and will stop by to make sure everything is going well. Her husband manages the Berlin tours (booked through Viktoria) and also shows up at each tour. Among the best tours I've ever taken. They have expanded their tours to include five Baltic ports.

http://www.spb-tours.com/

We booked a custom 2-day tour in St Petersburg for mid-July 2012 through

Alla Tours for a group of 6 and it was nothing short of phenomenal. We chose where we wanted to go, how long we wanted to spend, and they accommodated my dependence on a cane as well as another participant's need for frequent restroom stops. We had both a driver and tour guide and our own van. As it happened, two of our group had to cancel for health reasons and there were only four of us.

It was so wonderful to be part of such a small group. We did not have to worry about being able to hear our guide or rushing to catch up with the rest of a large group when we wanted a few more minutes to look at something. Having the van over a large vehicle made it easier for us to be dropped off closer to our stops. Our guide selected dining places he actually frequents for our lunch stops. We were never concerned about being back in time to catch our ship as it was obviously a concern for our guide. One of our party left her camera in the van and our guide discovered it after we had been dropped on the second day. He came back and got Customs to contact the ship (we had not sailed) and she was able to get her camera back.

Could not have asked for more.

We used Denrus and had a fantastic two days of touring in St. Petersburg.

http://www.denrus.ru/valueex/1completespb.html

However, the suggestions by others above are also good. People have posted they have been very happy with these tours and also with the Pricness ones.

However, the non-Princess tours are usually around half the cost of the Prinvess tours and often cover more sights. (For example, our Denrus tour included a ride on the unique St. Petersburg subway system, something the Princess tours do not do.)

Would love some information for these two cities for excursions that you have taken and enjoyed. Thanks for your information. Nancy

Can't share anything on Berlin, but lots to share and suggest for super charming St. Petersburg. Much depends, Nancy, on your interests, travel style, budget, number in your group and past Europe experiences. Tell us more!!! Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

The honest truth is that there are a number of very good to excellent private firms in St. Petersburg. Most people liked their tour and will beat the drums and say theirs are the "best". Of course, they have only tried one and do not have much real sense of "comparison". It is my suggestion to write to four or five of the top firms, tell them exactly what you want, seek and love. See what you get back and which one is the "best fit" for your specific personal needs and travel style. Some people are very happy and satisfied with the basic, standard "formula" tour that is offered up. I am NOT a big fan, however, of "one size fits all".

Others, like us, want things to be a little more custom. In our "planning process", I asked lots of questions (after doing some advance reading and research) and got back many good replies (quickly) from Anastasia that helped me get my arms around the many options in St. Petersburg. Getting your trip "flow" and "pacing" is very important for St. Petersburg. We were super happy with how it all worked in having a great mix for what we saw and how it fit together. Another key factor is their "flexibility". Once in Russia and doing the first day, we asked about a couple of "schedule adjustments" and they got things done in a smooth and excellent manner. One item was a request to stop at a shop to buy a Russian-style military hat and I asked about getting an early admission at the Hermitage to avoid some of the bus/mass crowds at the regular hour. Making things custom and personal was very important to us. Some firms are flexible and very responsive. Others are not that way, nor interested or caring. You need to determine what you want and need.

Just like there are many different sizes, styles and types of shoes, the same is true with private tour companies. We don't all wear and have same types of shoes for all needs, occasions and purposes. Below are a few of my visual samples to get folks prepared for the great glories that are there in St. Petersburg.

Also: FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on this great area of the world and also for the ports you would visit on your upcoming cruise.

SECOND, do a search on these boards by each subject or city. You will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop or subject. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city or topic, if you don't find it.

Below are a few of my pictures to illustrate a good sampling for what we liked best in this historic Russian capital. Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,212 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,673 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.: : [/b]

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

The Peter and Paul Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox cathedral located inside the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg. It is the first and oldest landmark, built between 1712 and 1733 on Zayachy Island along the Neva River. Both the cathedral and the fortress were originally built under Peter the Great. The cathedral's bell tower is the world's tallest Orthodox bell tower and is an integral part of the main building. This cathedral is sometimes considered the highest Orthodox Church in the world. Its golden spire reaches a height of 404 feet and features at its top an angel holding a cross. The cathedral was closed in 1919 and turned into a museum in 1924. It is still officially a museum, but religious services resumed in 2000. The cathedral houses the remains of almost all the Russian Emperors and Empresses from Peter the Great to Nicholas II:

1A-StP-PPFortress.jpg

Would love some information for these two cities for excursions that you have taken and enjoyed

Thanks for your information

Nancy:o:o:o

We booked with Alla Tours for both Saint Petersburg & Berlin. The tours were absolutely wonderful!

The owner, Alla, is a delight to work with & will patiently answer all of your questions. She now has a best price guarantee. :)

You can check-out the tour packages at:

http://alla-tour.com/

jill

Just arrived back home from NYC---just now had time to look at your pictures--I'll get back to them as soon as I get on with what I should be doing here at the moment

THANKS, Nancy:D:D

Very nice of you!!!

Let me add to the column that used SPB tours (http://www.spb-tours.com/) and was so impressed with them that I have recommended them to all my friends since. Viktoria does such a wonderful job and she really cares if you have the best time on your tour. That is how they get so many great recommendation. If you do use them, I can guarantee you will not be sorry.

Cheers

Len

Whether you go to Berlin depends on how interested you are in its dark history and how it has changed since reunification, and also how likely you are to be able to go there another time. The 3 hours each way are a pain but you will still have a good 6 hours there. These were made from 'land visits', and you might not be able to go to all the places, but good guide will ensure you have a very interesting day, although I realise this sort of thing is not for everyone.

General Sights

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (aka The Holocaust Memorial)

The History of the Berlin Wall

On the Roof of The Reichstag

Tacheles Art House

If you use the same company who is taking you round St P (several do both cities) you'll get a slight discount. I love Berlin. All the best, Tony

Do all of these private tour companies in St. Petersburg, arrange the visas for you?

YES!!

Russia has a 72 hour visa free entry program for cruise ship passengers provided you book with a liscensed company (ALLA TOURS, TJ TRAVEL, BEST GUIDES, DENRUS, RED OCTOBER, etc.) and overnight aboard ship. Your tour ticket serves as your "visa waiver". Your chosen tour company will provide you with the ticket/visa waiver.

jill

YES!!

Russia has a 72 hour visa free entry program for cruise ship passengers provided you book with a liscensed company (ALLA TOURS, TJ TRAVEL, BEST GUIDES, DENRUS, RED OCTOBER, etc.) and overnight aboard ship. Your tour ticket serves as your "visa waiver". Your chosen tour company will provide you with the ticket/visa waiver.

jill

I assume that if you want to go out for the evening after your day tour you have to go with your tour company? Thanks!

I assume that if you want to go out for the evening after your day tour you have to go with your tour company? Thanks!

Hey Kathy, I'm also from NY, only a 'city slicker' to your bumpkin :D:D:D:D

To answer your question, YES anytime you need to venture off the ship in St Petersburg you need that visa. If you want to do evening entertainment, all the tour companies offer things for you to do and they will have some one accompanying you. You can also book something for an evening thru the ship as that has nothing to do with your private tours that you are taking. Most people would rather do it with the tour company they are already using as they have a lot more insight into St Petersburg and it's night life.

Personally, we are seniors and used the evenings to sort of 'catch up' from long days of touring. On our one night in St Petersburg, we just relaxed on board, and basically fell asleep during the show.

Cheers

Len

Hey Kathy, I'm also from NY, only a 'city slicker' to your bumpkin :D:D:D:D

To answer your question, YES anytime you need to venture off the ship in St Petersburg you need that visa. If you want to do evening entertainment, all the tour companies offer things for you to do and they will have some one accompanying you. You can also book something for an evening thru the ship as that has nothing to do with your private tours that you are taking. Most people would rather do it with the tour company they are already using as they have a lot more insight into St Petersburg and it's night life.

Personally, we are seniors and used the evenings to sort of 'catch up' from long days of touring. On our one night in St Petersburg, we just relaxed on board, and basically fell asleep during the show.

Cheers

Len

Len, thanks so much. I'm not sure if we'd be interested in an evening program, but a couple of the tours we're looking at have some good programming.

BTW - oldest son is not too far from you, a senior at USMMA Kings Point. That's the graduation referenced in my signature block. One time he and his friends went to Google Maps to look at home neighborhoods and he won for most redneck.:p

Thanks to Terry for the wonderful pictures.We are doing back to back cruises in May so will spend 4 days and 2 nights in SPB. we were hoping to do an organized tour on the first trip and spend some time exploring/returning to sites on our own on the return trip. i understand you require a visa if touring independently but is this even a feasible option. i welcome suggestions from those of you who have been there before. We will be there in May 2013 and are so looking forward to it.

Thanks

Mary

Thanks to Terry for the wonderful pictures.We are doing back to back cruises in May so will spend 4 days and 2 nights in SPB. we were hoping to do an organized tour on the first trip and spend some time exploring/returning to sites on our own on the return trip. i understand you require a visa if touring independently but is this even a feasible option. i welcome suggestions from those of you who have been there before. We will be there in May 2013 and are so looking forward to it.

Thanks

Mary

It sounds like a great trip and plan Mary. After our Baltic cruise in 2006 we knew we could return to St. Petersburg and DIY with a visa. We plan to visit and stay in an apartment this year using a visa- our third trip. If you get a visa it can be used for both trips and you can come and go as you please. You may want to ask your guide to show you how to use the Metro and get a Metro Card for your return trip. You just swipe the card and go. It's great to move at your own pace going where you please without supervision.

It was funny to watch this guy riding on the wall in front of the Winter Palace. Click on the picture for the video.

th_L1050944.jpg

172.jpg

Thanks

Mary

Lucy you, Mary! :) Sounds like you have the perfect plan for your B2B. If you use a guide for your first trip, you should have a good idea regarding how to get around & what you want to see for your second stop in SPB.

As Scuba recommends, it might be a good idea to ask your guide about the metro & get a card on your first trip. Most of the tour guides include a metro ride in SPB ... I know that Alla Tours includes this as we took a metro ride.

For my next (and probably last) land trip to SPB, I want to go in the winter. Would love to see a snow-covered city in SPB and/or Moscow (visions of Dr.Zhivago). I am also hoping to go back to the Hermitage & Russian museum without benefit of huge summer crowds.

Enjoy!

jill

Thanks to Terry for the wonderful pictures.We are doing back to back cruises in May so will spend 4 days and 2 nights in SPB. we were hoping to do an organized tour on the first trip and spend some time exploring/returning to sites on our own on the return trip. i understand you require a visa if touring independently but is this even a feasible option. i welcome suggestions from those of you who have been there before. We will be there in May 2013 and are so looking forward to it. Thanks Mary

Great to hear of your St. Petersburg plans and efforts. One suggestion/idea to consider is that even with a second trip back, a DIY visa sounds good and interesting. BUT, also consider that St. Petersburg is a big, big city of five million people with lots of congestion, challenges. The lay-out of this city, with all of its bridges and waterways, can also be complex and confusing.

We were very happy to have a driver and guide with our group of four people for two full days. That worked out well for us, but still gave us flexibility to make adjustments as needed and our schedule evolved.

THANKS for the nice comments on my pictures! Just sharing the great beauty that is there in St. Petersburg. The glory goes to them. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,253 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Would love some information for these two cities for excursions that you have taken and enjoyed

Thanks for your information

Nancy:o:o:o

Thought I would share this message I just received from Alla with you in case you are still looking to book a tour...Enjoy your trip!:)

Dear Friends,

We are striving to provide the personal touch to our tours and insure that your experience equals the quality that we would want to experience ourselves. Today I am writing to let you know about the recent improvements we have made on our tours which I am confident will be very advantageous to you.

1. GERMAN LOCAL TOURS

Out local tours in Germany, “Warnemuende & Rostock” and “Warnemuende, Rostock and Schwerin” are gaining their popularity very quickly. Both of these tours are a great alternative to the “Berlin Grand tour” for our guests who have previously visited Berlin and/or for our guests who do not wish to spend much time traveling to Berlin.

Please look into the advantages of booking the above tours with us:

(1) FLAT-RATE FEE regardless of the number of people signed up for the tour.

Prices are conveniently quoted in US Dollars: $80 USD pp and $120 USD pp respectively

(2) The tours are ALL INCLUSIVE!

Prices include: professional guide, train tickets, and admission fees.

Additionally, we have included the following:

* TRAM TICKETS to get from the train station to the downtown area in all towns – we feel that you will appreciate this improvement rather than WALKING FOR 20 MIN to reach the downtown area!

* ALL applicable donations to the cathedrals/churches

* FULL-COURSE TRADITIONAL GERMAN LUNCH – upgraded from snacks.

* Our tours are led by PROFESSIONAL GUIDES only - NO amateur guides or students!

2. STOCKHOLM GRAND TOUR

(1) Our tour includes two inside excursions: VASA Museum and CITY HALL

(2) FLAT-RATE FEE regardless of the number of people signed-up for the tour. Conveniently quoted in US Dollars: $110 USD pp.

(3) Our tours are led by PROFESSIONAL GUIDES only! No students or uncertified guides!

The “Association of Stockholm Guides” is the organization that trains, tests and certifies professional guides. Membership is granted only after passing a rigorous test. You can recognize a certified guide by their official badge bearing the logo of the Association of Stockholm guides along with the guide’s photo.

It is our GUARANTEE that you will get the services of a professional, well trained, conversant expert with an excellent command of English. It is the ALLA Tours guarantee of an invariably high-quality Stockholm tour!

Please be aware that the use of amateur guides and students may give a considerable savings on the tour costs but inevitably leads to the loss of the tour quality. Striving to always deliver the best service in all ports of call, we provide our guests with only the best guides!

Thank you for taking your time to learn about our tours and for considering Alla Tours as your tour provider in the Baltic ports of call!

We look forward to meeting you!

Yours,

Alla Ushakova

Archived