Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

I am super Elite!" He was a hot mess, toupee akimbo, and a total boor!

That is great. I haven't seen the word akimbo used in a very long time. We have never had any bad problems. But several years ago on a HAL ship two of our dining companions, made it very clear, in unspoken words thay did not like the fact we were a gay couple. But we stayed at that table just to annoy them

I just laughed out loud! Good for you!:)

I am super Elite!" He was a hot mess, toupee akimbo, and a total boor!

That is great. I haven't seen the word akimbo used in a very long time. We have never had any bad problems. But several years ago on a HAL ship two of our dining companions, made it very clear, in unspoken words thay did not like the fact we were a gay couple. But we stayed at that table just to annoy them

Good for you!;)

Mike:)

This thread amazes me. After reading these snob stories I had no idea there was so many self-centered people that Cruise. We haven’t been on as many Cruises as most of you but the Cruises we have been on we have never experienced the so called snob Cruisers. That’s a good thing.

I think I am at 15 or 16 on Princess. I don't care if you were on 1 or a thousand.Life is too short to even care.I know of very few snobs in my life.There are world travellers in my family,Doctors,Lawyers,Judges,Labourers,Sales clerks,unemployed,alcoholics,drug addicts,you name it,I've got it in my family and we all get along for the most part.I don't believe any of us are snobby or look down at another in our family that has less.People who are snobby,have bigger issues,that's why they act,the way they do.Being healthy,is the only thing that really matters.

In the same vein as Hyacinth Bucket (Boo-kay), my mom had a friend whose last name was Vinegar. The whole family pronounced it like the stuff you sprinkle on french fries except one sister-in-law who liked to put on airs like Hyacinth. She pronouncded it like Vine-gar (kinda like wine bar). Boy did she get mocked!

Once at a resort in the Caribbean we encountered a women who thought she was very special. She had stayed at the same resort several times and felt she deserved special treatment. She kept telling people "the staff know me here" like it would impress us. She expected to be first in any line, first to be seated etc etc. We nick-named her "The Queen".

I read recently that the actor who played Onslow on "Keeping Up Appearances" passed away a little while ago. He was such a good actor.

"funny" that your name is Daisy. (Same as Onslow's wife)

iirc, Geoffrey (Onslow) Hughes was Paul McCartney's voice in the film Yellow Submarine.

"funny" that your name is Daisy. (Same as Onslow's wife)

iirc, Geoffrey (Onslow) Hughes was Paul McCartney's voice in the film Yellow Submarine.

Be careful, people may get upset and call you a "know it all" or worse a "trivia snob".:D

We cruised with friends over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving evening, we went to our assigned table in the main dining room looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner (no cooking for me this holiday!!!!). We just started the app course, when our waiter came over, apologizing and asking if we would mind moving our chairs a bit. After we moved, I asked if there was a problem. He told us a "lady" at the next table wanted us to move so she could have a better view of the other diners; we were blocking her view. Yes we gave her the view she wanted and everytime I looked over at her table and caught her eye, I'd give her a big smile and a vigorous five finger wave. Needless to say, the people at that table didn't linger long after dessert. :p

We do get some strange reactions when we say we are from Nebraska. First of all, many people have no idea where it is (hey, I have trouble with all those teeny eastern states too)

My mother and both her parents were born in Lincoln, and some of the best pizza I ever ate was there. You also have the most impressive capitol building in the country, IMO. "Place" snobs annoy me no end.

We cruised with friends over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving evening, we went to our assigned table in the main dining room looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner (no cooking for me this holiday!!!!). We just started the app course, when our waiter came over, apologizing and asking if we would mind moving our chairs a bit. After we moved, I asked if there was a problem. He told us a "lady" at the next table wanted us to move so she could have a better view of the other diners; we were blocking her view. Yes we gave her the view she wanted and everytime I looked over at her table and caught her eye, I'd give her a big smile and a vigorous five finger wave. Needless to say, the people at that table didn't linger long after dessert. :p

Unconscionable!!!:D

Not sure if this falls under snob, but there was a lady in an inside cabin who was constantly complaining (loudly in the hall) about her cabin condition to the room steward. After a couple of days I asked the Steward what was going on. Said the lady was trying her hardest to get a balcony cabin at an inside price. I guess that tactic worked for her in the past, but not this time. We didn't hear her voice after about four days.

I wonder if calling the highest loyalty tier elite as anything to do with this 'snobbery' by some?

Calling it 'old sea dog' or 'old salt' might mitigate the problem? :rolleyes:

Oh, please! I know I'm old; I don't need to be reminded of that fact. :) All I need to do is look in the mirror in the morning. Amazing what make-up can do to blur that image and let me forget for a few hours. Besides, would you call your mother an old sea dog? :)

I wonder if calling the highest loyalty tier elite as anything to do with this 'snobbery' by some?

Calling it 'old sea dog' or 'old salt' might mitigate the problem? :rolleyes:

Actually I remember when Princess was planning to add another tier to their loyalty program. Princess felt this was necessary since so many of us were solidly at the then top level Platinum with five or more cruises.

There was a lot of discussion both here and on the ships speculating on the name (and perks) of the next level. Many people expected some sort of precious metal such as "titanium" to be the name because that was in line with the Gold & Platinum theme. Whenever Princess came up with "Elite" it came out of left field and many of us were very surprised due to the negative connotations that it had to us in America at least.

Shortly afterward we boarded a Princess ship and the Cruise Director and other crew members had been instructed to refer to us as "Elitists". Every time I heard it I would cringe! I made sure the Cruise Director referred to us by our first names.

I completely agree with you that "Old Sea Dog" would have been much more preferable over Elite, to us at least! :)

On a transatlantic, during one breakfast we were seated next to a couple that managed to take over the conversation of both adjacent tables. The lady went on and on about how she was super elite and how Princess should really give them more perks. Perhaps a private lounge in Ft. Lauderdale so she wouldn't have to wait with all those people. On and on and on. To the staff whe was demanding and barked orders. Totally cringeworthy! We gobbled our food in order to escape! As it turned out, they were the most traveled passengers on the cruise: more than 1000 days. We still talk about them! And not in nice way!

Their loss! Some of our most enjoyable meals have been at tables with gay couples. :cool:

KruzPrincess writes:

I can't speak to the tone in which this complaint was delivered or to whom, but there is a very real possibility that the woman was on a salt restricted diet. She, of course, should have been polite in her request for unsalted butter, but it was certainly a reasonable request.

I understand dietary requirements and eat salt sparingly myself, but this wasn't the circumstance. They weren't requesting special foods from the staff. The woman was just talking to her companion about how low class the ship was for not providing a choice of salted and unsalted butter at the buffet. If you need special foods you need to go to the right person to request them. I've also seen people complain that they couldn't find Grey Poupon mustard because regular mustard wasn't good enough.

Their loss! Some of our most enjoyable meals have been at tables with gay couples. :cool:

This past Oct on our TA, we had traditional dining, we had two other couples both from Australia, one couple was a gay couple, that had been together for 20 yrs. and great guys. The other couple insisted that they wanted nothing to do with them, and call them a name ( can't remember). Anyway my husband and this couple got in a fight about it and so the couple said that they wouldn't be back (which was great for us.) We had the best time with the 2 guys, so glad the other couple left.

We were on a cruise and this woman and adult daughter came to lay out by the pool. They pulled their lounger into the walkway around the pool. One of the pool attendants came over and asked them to move since they were blocking the walk way and the mother turned to him and rudely told him in no uncertain terms that she paid for this cruise and she could sit any place she wanted (I guess the rest of us were there for free!). Well felling sorry for the attendant and annoyed at her I made it a point to walk past her lounger and "accidently" bump into her. After a couple of times of this she looked up at me and said "Will you watch where you are going?" My response - I paid for this cruise and I can walk where ever I want! Shortly afterward they moved.

Bravo!

Archived