Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

We were on the 12/29/12 sailing on the Grand and on an independent excursion in Aruba. There were a bunch of Germans, also from the Grand, I think on the tour in a large van of about 20 passengers. They sat in the front of the van and pretty well made it their own personal tour as they monopolized the driver/guide. Their English was only slightly, accented and I was led to believe that they had spent a lot of time in the US. The driver made a pretty complete sweep of the island and we were in a area "where the Americans live". The properties were pretty extravagant and the driver pointed out that, unlike the other neighborhoods, the American neighborhoods had grass lawns and pools, which were supported by natural springs instead of the desalinization plants used by the rest of the desert island.

One, rather snotty young woman with an obnoxious tattoo of a tree on her upper arm mentioned with disgust that it was typical of the selfish, rich Americans to over consume the resources instead of only using their fair share.

I wanted so much to challenge her and to point out that this is not typical of all Americans but is probably, typical of many affluent people of all nationalities. I apologize to no one for being an American but we are not all rich! Also, since Aruba lives off of tourism and their consumption taxes, they probably, don't mind rich people. (I passed on asking if her grandfather supported Hitler!)

On an Alaskan cruise years ago (the old Regal) there was a couple, an older man with a toupee and died eyebrows and mustache and his partner, a younger man who was always nervous. They were at a table next to us in the MDR. The old guy kept loudly going on about how no one could believe he was 75 years old (I did) and about how much he had spent to get the best cabin on the ship so he could "teach" his younger partner about cruising. He ordered the guy around. "Go tell the waiter this or that" and "Go get me some more rolls from the waiter," and so forth. On deck, he would sit as if holding court and have the poor partner run around getting his drinks, etc. They happened to be with us in a van on the way to the airport after the cruise, and he told another passenger how much he had spent on the cruise (it was a lot) but how it was worth it since his poor partner would now know how to behave on the next one. I later wondered how long that relationship had lasted.

They did not say a word until they reached their deck and they proceeded to get off. Before exiting the elevator, the one lady turned around and very scarcastically said "Well, I guess that you were NOT invited to have cocktails with the Captain tonight like we were!", and she proceeded to get off.

Too bad you didn't say " gee, we just finished having dinner with him"

On the QE2 in 2008 there were a lot of European passengers on board as it was their winter.

One lady and her husband were obviously well set up and she was a walking fashion show, you'd know the type, different clobber several times a day. It came to pass that it was her birthday, and she invited a number of fellow passengers & some of the dancing boys, to celebrate with her near the ship's pool [at the stern].

She rocked up before the invitees and demanded in a loud voice that she required the other passengers to vacate that area as it was to be used for her birthday party. Some people actually did move, but an elderly & quite refined English lady stood up and said to her, "We came first in the last lot, your crowd became second, so remember that'. She then sat down and continued to read her book, taking her lead other people then remained seated where they were.

I happened to mention this event to one of the Australian waiters on board who did serve that area, & he told me that it was ship's policy not to allow people to book or take over portions of the vessel used by the passengers, for private functions, and that this lady had been told the same upon her inquiring.

The other was at table on another ship. A lady and her husband, who seldom spoke, were seated with us. They had elite status, and if she didn't tell us 10 times during each meal, she did it 20 times. Who cares?

On the QE2 in 2008 there were a lot of European passengers on board as it was their winter.

One lady and her husband were obviously well set up and she was a walking fashion show, you'd know the type, different clobber several times a day. It came to pass that it was her birthday, and she invited a number of fellow passengers & some of the dancing boys, to celebrate with her near the ship's pool [at the stern].

She rocked up before the invitees and demanded in a loud voice that she required the other passengers to vacate that area as it was to be used for her birthday party. Some people actually did move, but an elderly & quite refined English lady stood up and said to her, "We came first in the last lot, your crowd became second, so remember that'. She then sat down and continued to read her book, taking her lead other people then remained seated where they were.

I happened to mention this event to one of the Australian waiters on board who did serve that area, & he told me that it was ship's policy not to allow people to book or take over portions of the vessel used by the passengers, for private functions, and that this lady had been told the same upon her inquiring.

The other was at table on another ship. A lady and her husband, who seldom spoke, were seated with us. They had elite status, and if she didn't tell us 10 times during each meal, she did it 20 times. Who cares?

Love your story dickwho, but your previous voyages gave me the biggest laugh:)

On the Island Princess in Alaska, we had just sat down to dinner, and I was looking around thinking how nice everything looked, the lady sitting next to me looks around and goes "Humph!... this is what I call the Kmart of cruising!"

Liza

About a year ago we were on a cruise with a couple who fancied themselves dancing stars.

Now DW and I take the ballroom dance classes. I know about 4 steps and enjoy dancing with my bride of 37 years.

This couple changed into costumes after dinner. When they danced (they thought they were performing, I'm sure) they took up a great deal of the dance floor with their moves and hand gestures leaving the rest of us to be constantly on the look out for their flailing arms, etc.

DW assured me they weren't that good.

Re: post number one. I know about them, but have never seen them. What's funny is that DH and I were given those personalized tags way back in 2004 on the Pacific Princess. They lie very quietly in a drawer and we have never thought of wearing them.

........and then they said in a snooty way, "Well, you know, we're on Aloha deck." I wanted to say, "And?" but all I said was, "That's nice." I didn't get into how I was on Caribe in a much better cabin. There are people out there who still think that the higher the deck, the further away they are from "steerage."

And there are those who are really poorly informed and do not know what they are talking about.....

We ran into one person that insisted/argued over lunch that she was on the "best deck" because the "best" cabins are "always" reserved for the "best" customers. When someone at the table asked her where her cabin was located she proudly announced that she was on the Plaza Deck. So much for "steerage"

It's very sad some need to make catty comments and also brag to make themselves feel more important. :o

LuLu

~~~~

I totally agree!! I find it amazing how annoying some people can be and get away with it. Enjoying reading all these comments; have never had complaints as bad as some, but have had some obnoxious people around us.

Re: post number one. I know about them, but have never seen them. What's funny is that DH and I were given those personalized tags way back in 2004 on the Pacific Princess. They lie very quietly in a drawer and we have never thought of wearing them.

I have a personalized tag, too. Every bit as useful as the

chef's jacket from the ship tour.

We were on the Star to Alaska this summer and there was one woman who always had "that" look on her face. Anyway, one day were were sitting next to her and her family at breakfast when she ordered the waiter to get her daughter chocolate milk. Then when another waiter came by(a few minutes) he asked if they needed anything. She stated that she had asked a waiter for chocolate milk but had been ignored. All the waiters on this ship were amazing, so every few minutes one would come by and ask if everything was okay. The girl ended up getting 6 glasses of chocolate milk, but then apparently they were not "cold" enough, and all were sent back time after time. For the entire time we ate breakfast, maybe 30-40 minutes, she was complaining to everyone in sight. She was a horrible, horrible women. That was the look on her face.......unhappy, miserable beast! I avoided her like the plaque the rest of the cruise and would just glare at her if our eyes ever met. She got so many people in trouble who were simply doing their job, and doing it well............After that I just called her the beast.............

[color="Red"Folks when on board pretend what they are not.

The employees can see through them though.

Its amazing watching some of those folks and quite comical at times

][/color]

We met some of these on a non-cruise vacation, pretending to be Presidents & vice-presidents of important Canadian companies.

The cabin staff informed us that they were all traveling salesmen.

Steve

Many moons ago we did a couple of legs of an Australia/Asia cruise getting on in Darwin and off in Hong Kong. It was traditional dining and our table of 8 was pretty good but we did have a pair of wannabes. She would rabbit on about how glad they were that there was an overnight stop in Hong Kong because it would allow her husband to be measured and fitted for tailor made shirts at their favourite tailor and how they were so much better than normal retail, blah blah blah.

As we were second sitting there was never too much rush to get our meal over and we could linger over wine, cheese & crackers and coffee as the dining room was being stripped around us. One evening as we were finishing up after a particularly good meal I casually asked (nobody in particular and in good humour):- "I wonder what the poor people are doing?" She immediately looked at me and shot back "We're not poor!" I don't think she understood.

I had an 11 year old in the hot tub with me and a friend and we were just chatting between ourselves....and the kid piped up and said to us " you two will be old ladies before you even get close to the status that I have and im only 11. Im Elite on princess you will never get that.....

I was shocked to say the least

Should have told the little brat he was in an adult only hot tub and to take his elite little butt back to the kiddie pool......:mad:

Both experiences that stand out were on Celebrity. We were in their equivalent of the Horizon Court for lunch and a gentleman sitting nearby made a big deal about having the waiter get the sommelier for him. When the sommelier arrives he proceeds to tell him he wants to order a beer!

Last November we were on a Panama Canal cruise and took a shore excursion in Costa Rica. We stopped at a local gift shop/restaurant for a rest room break etc. Across the parking lot, several local men were doing construction of a building of some sort. A gentleman, who evidently is in the construction business, was going on and on about how shoddy their work was. He then proceeds to go over and give them some direction, only to come back all upset about the fact that they didn't speak English!!!

I have a personalized tag, too. Every bit as useful as the

chef's jacket from the ship tour.

I did not know that at one time Princess provided these name tags. Sort of like the wings the airlines give kids that fly with their parents. This couple was really proud of them though!:p

It's very sad some need to make catty comments and also brag to make themselves feel more important. :o

LuLu

~~~~

There are some people who make a big deal about who they know at Princess, like to boast about the special perks and attention they get because they know someone, say, "Email me and I'll get you the insider's info," etc. I find people like this very sad, very "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" attention-seeking. There are many others who know people at Princess or on the ships as well or better and don't brag about it.

We were on the Golden in Alaska and had a couple at the Chef's Table that complained the entire time about the food. She made the chef cook her steak three times. On the other hand, he very graciously attempted to make her happy. After spending the evening with this boorish couple, we spent the balance of the cruise avoiding them!

Having specific requirements for the cooking of one's food, does not make one a snob or a boor. I don't eat meat, only fish, which leaves me very few choices. I simply can't eat fish that is cooked to the point where it is dry and am very careful to politely advise the waiter of my requirements when I order. I even suggest that perhaps they slightly under cook it, as it does continue to cook during the process of delivery. 90% of the time this works out extremely well.

There are times, however, when it just doesn't work. We were once in Victoria, B.C., a night port, when there were only 15 people in the entire dining room--maybe they had anticipated this and given the majority of the kitchen staff the night off.

Although I had been very specific to request that the halibut be cooked on the rare side, it arrived the first time woefully overcooked. I sent it back, requesting once again that it be cooked on the rare side. Again it arrived horribly overcooked and very dry. This was confusing because there were so very few people in the dining room.

The third time the fish was perfectly cooked. The waiter told him that it had been cooked by the head chef himself.

This was not done to make myself feel more important, but instead to get a decent piece of fish. ;)

Interestingly, on the same ship a few months later, in a totally packed dining room, everyone at our table for 10 ordered halibut and received it perfectly cooked the first time around. You just never know.

KruzPrincess writes:

I've seen so many rude and boorish things, but the snobbiest was a woman who was complaining that they didn't have unsalted butter in the buffet. Salted butter was just not good enough for her.

I can't speak to the tone in which this complaint was delivered or to whom, but there is a very real possibility that the woman was on a salt restricted diet. She, of course, should have been polite in her request for unsalted butter, but it was certainly a reasonable request.

Having specific requirements for the cooking of one's food, does not make one a snob or a boor. I don't eat meat, only fish, which leaves me very few choices. I simply can't eat fish that is cooked to the point where it is dry and am very careful to politely advise the waiter of my requirements when I order. I even suggest that perhaps they slightly under cook it, as it does continue to cook during the process of delivery. 90% of the time this works out extremely well.

There are times, however, when it just doesn't work. We were once in Victoria, B.C., a night port, when there were only 15 people in the entire dining room--maybe they had anticipated this and given the majority of the kitchen staff the night off.

Although I had been very specific to request that the halibut be cooked on the rare side, it arrived the first time woefully overcooked. I sent it back, requesting once again that it be cooked on the rare side. Again it arrived horribly overcooked and very dry. This was confusing because there were so very few people in the dining room.

The third time the fish was perfectly cooked. The waiter told him that it had been cooked by the head chef himself.

This was not done to make myself feel more important, but instead to get a decent piece of fish. ;)

Interestingly, on the same ship a few months later, in a totally packed dining room, everyone at our table for 10 ordered halibut and received it perfectly cooked the first time around. You just never know.st.

You are quite right, but I swear this woman was posturing. I enjoy a bloody steak as much as the next person, but no matter how rare the meat, it just wasn't rare enough. If I had been the chef, I might have slapped a raw piece of meat on her plate. As we were at the Chefs Table, she had already challenged the chef that he could not cook a steak to her liking. All of this posturing was served with a heavy side of her "cruise-a-log", the companies she ran, the homes she owned, well you get the idea. She single handedly took the shine off of ten others meal by dominating everything.

There are some people who make a big deal about who they know at Princess, like to boast about the special perks and attention they get because they know someone, say, "Email me and I'll get you the insider's info," etc. I find people like this very sad, very "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee" attention-seeking. There are many others who know people at Princess or on the ships as well or better and don't brag about it.

Well put, Pam - I like the 'Sandra Dee' comment. It gets a little tiring after awhile hearing from the same people about who they know, etc. I appreciate their sharing knowledge and experience, just don't keep throwing names and connections in our faces.

I did not know that at one time Princess provided these name tags. Sort of like the wings the airlines give kids that fly with their parents. This couple was really proud of them though!:p

No, they never provided them. They were sometimes given to most traveled passengers and not all. It was up to the maitre d' who handled it. Ours have our full names on it.

I'm sure we'll eventually run into the folks you mentioned previously, though I'm also sure we will have no up close and personal contact.

Amen. ;)

Archived