Recommendations - Travel alarm clock and night light

2specialkidsforme

You likely need neither. The phone system on most ships can be programmed for a wake up call. As to night lights, I generally leave the bathroom light on with the door closed and that usually provides sufficient light for me.

I always use the wake up call feature on the phone in the stateroom. I leave the curtain to the balcony open slightly so I know when it is dawn.

On the Celebrity ships they have a small night light in the bathroom. On the Century it is in the wall mounted hair dyer.

Rather than leave the bathroom light on ...... because for me it is too bright and wakes me up too much if I have to go in there in the middle of the night ....

For several years I have been taking a few battery operated tea light candles any time I travel. On cruises, I put a couple of them in the cabin area, where the glow is just enough for me to find my way to the bathroom without stubbing a toe, as well a one or 2 on the counter in the bathroom. With the large mirror in the bathroom, it reflects the glow and makes just enough light for my needs without the glare of the bright bathroom light.

Rather than a travel alarm, I use my iPod TOuch for my alarm ...... I just turn off the WiFi feature while I am onboard.

We use an old LL Bean travel clock.

When it is dark the lightup feature on the clock is bright enough for us.

Some will use a small battery operated tap light.

I also use an LL Bean travel alarm clock. Big numbers, VERY easy to set both time and alarm clock, and folds up quite flat.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70703?feat=alarm%20clock-SR0&page=led-nightfinder-alarm

We have a small digital-battery opperated clock that be bought at Dollar General for only $6. It has nice large numbers, so you can see it from across the room, or without glasses ;) and if you touch it, it will light up for a few seconds to give some extra light. BTW, we put new batteries in the clock and it ran through both a seven day cruise and our next 5 day and it's still going strong, so it doesn't use up a ton of batteries, altough we do bring an extra set just-in-case. We chose the battery opperated clock as there are very few plug-in sockets in the cabins.

We brought a nitelite on our first cruise and never used it. We just shut the bathroom door and left just a small crack to emit just enough light so we could find our way.

I don't know the brand name of our battery powered alarm clock, but it's one I purchased for under $10 years ago at a pharmacy. I'm pretty sure it was Longs Drugs, before CVS took over. I like the kind with the face rather than digital.

We use a tap light in the bathroom, it was about $4, purchased at a hardware store. The batteries last all week, they would probably last longer, but I change them every trip to be sure they don't burn out. It's enough light to get to the bathroom (we just leave the bathroom door open with the tap light on the counter). Before we used that, we left the bathroom light on...that light is so bright after you went you couldn't get back to sleep. Not only that, the brightness would wake up the other person in the cabin when the door was opened.

http://www.target.com/p/energizer-compact-led-tap-light-1-pk/-/A-13165930#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=tap%20light

I also use an LL Bean travel alarm clock. Big numbers, VERY easy to set both time and alarm clock, and folds up quite flat.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70703?feat=alarm%20clock-SR0&page=led-nightfinder-alarm

I have that one also. It folds up almost too flat - I couldn't find it when packing for my last cruise and ended up finding it in a corner of a camera bag about halfway through the trip.

It replaces a folding analog travel clock that ended up ticking a little too loudly in the quiet night.

We got a small battery operated alarm clock a few years ago at brookstone that also doubles as a flashlight. Easy to read time at night, and it can be set up to come on as a small flashlight at night when picked up. We prefer the cabin dark, like our bedroom at home, so a constant 'nightlight' is a poor option for us. Great 2-for-1 packing. I highly recommend.

Also, after hearing about the Concordia episode, and other power outage incidents on ships, having a small flashlight is not a bad idea. Leaving the bathroom light on, or a little tea light will not help much in those situations.

We use an old LL Bean travel clock.

When it is dark the lightup feature on the clock is bright enough for us.

Some will use a small battery operated tap light.

We also have a battery operated LL Bean clock. You can't kill that thing. :) Love it.

We use the iPhone for the alarm clock...and go to the Dollar store and buy lightsticks, (2 or 3 in a package for $1) for lighting at night...hang one on the bathroom door, gives just enough light for the dark room....and you throw them away after use...don't have to lug them back home with you.

~L~

For our alarm clock, we bought this one from 4alarmclocks.com:

Equity 31302 Full Product Description

The neat thing about it is, you can adjust the snooze time on it.

For a night light, we bought an Energizer L.E.D. touchlight. We got ours at Target, but you can find them most anywhere that battery operated lights are sold. It's much better than leaving the bathroom light on. If you buy a battery operated night light and it's a little too bright, just put a wash cloth over it to dim it down a bit.:cool:

Hint: When traveling, take the batteries out of the touch light, so it won't accidentally get turned on while in your suitcase and run the batteries down.

We use the iPhone for the alarm clock...and go to the Dollar store and buy lightsticks, (2 or 3 in a package for $1) for lighting at night...hang one on the bathroom door, gives just enough light for the dark room....and you throw them away after use...don't have to lug them back home with you.

~L~

If you fly, can you put those in carryon bags or do they have to go in checked luggage?

<snip>

Hint: When traveling, take the batteries out of the touch light, so it won't accidentally get turned on while in your suitcase and run the batteries down.

Good for mentioning that.

We keep the clock in our carryon at all times but when we leave the ship or hotel where we have used it, we turn the battery around so it won't drain the juice the whole time it is stored between uses.

Archived