Adding 3rd person to room?

Would someone please explain to me, the 3/4 full rule and not being able to add a 3rd person to a booking?

In my gut, I think I understand it, but I would like to hear it from someone who knows what the heck they are talking about - unlike the RCL rep last night. She actually SCOLDED me for booking a cabin on the Enchantment that holds 4 people (there are only 2 of us)... best I can tell ALL of the JS on Enchantment hold 4... she wasn't aware of this...

There is a total number of passengers which cannot be exceeded. Say it is 2403. Although there are more than 2403 passenger berths on the ship, only 2403 can be used. They cannot have 2404 passengers on the ship. 2403 is the legal limit.

If the above is the reason for not allowing you to book a 3rd passenger to your booking, keep checking to see if someone has cancelled.

Keep checking. We were booked in a JS on Monarch with 2 people. Later on we wanted to add a 3rd person, but the ship was booked at the limit. We checked every day and finally got to add the extra person. Even though there are cabins not booked, right now they have to assume they will be booked for 2 and cannot allow to add extra persons to cabins at the moment.

We've added a third person to our room after our original booking. As long as your stateroom accomodates it and the ship isn't sold out, you should be able to do this.
Not necessarily. There are only so many 3/4 berths than can be booked and that number is less than the number that are on the ship. It's done that way to give passengers wanting more than two people in a cabin more flexibility in cabin types, and having extra sofa beds, etc. is cheap compared to having to add extra lifeboats, facilities, crew, etc.

I ran across this when booking our 13 day NZ, I couldn't add our daughter in our JS, something about the max # had been reached. I thought this was odd since they had only opened the bookings a few hours earlier. At anyrate I kept checking and saw they allowed the 3rd person, so ASAP called our TA who got her moved into our JS, otherwise we were paying solo rate for the daughter.

It's possible that the number of guests served by that cabin's muster station is at its limit, so adding another passenger into an otherwise available berth isn't possible.

It may be possible to fit three of you in a different cabin that's served by a different muster station.

It's possible that the number of guests served by that cabin's muster station is at its limit, so adding another passenger into an otherwise available berth isn't possible.

It may be possible to fit three of you in a different cabin that's served by a different muster station.

My thought exactly. Lifeboat assignments are based on cabin and once the maximum occupancy of the lifeboat has been reached no more berths may be booked in the respective cabins.

Good suggestion on a different cabin assignment!

All this is interesting, I am wondering how many rooms are set up per station yet here again, it still depends on the number of people booked per cabin. if say it is 20 /10 room(200), then only 1 room of that 10 can exceed double occupancy with one room having a single passenger.

I will keep checking. Could book an inside for half what the JS is costing me, but I doubt they'd allow a 16 year old in a cabin by herself?
If it's close enough to your cabin, they will. You could also book a lone adult in it, but have the 16 yo actually use it.

I know someone who just added another person to one of the cabins they already have. It's beyond final payment on a sold out ship. She was told by Royal that people can even be added at the port as long as you have a cabin that holds them. How could this be possible? Did that rep not know what they were talking about? :confused: As far as I know, the added person is going.

I never even thought of this before but makes complete sense... There's my learn something new for today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's close enough to your cabin, they will. You could also book a lone adult in it, but have the 16 yo actually use it.

Of course, you will be responsible for your daughter and will need to keep her close enough that you can give her an appropriate level of supervision. You know the young lady and know if she needs to be in the same room, in a connecting room, across the hall or a few doors down.

Have you considered two adjacent balcony cabins? Or an inside across the hall from your cabin (if you can find that combo at this late date)?

You could check in on your roll call...if you are super, super lucky you might find a solo person who, for an agreeable price, would add one of you (probably an adult because nobody wants to be thought responsible for an unknown teen) to his/her cabin booking with the understanding that all three of you will stay in the JS, leaving the solo alone in his/her cabin.

If in the end you are facing a solo rate for DD, check the price difference and consider adding a friend or relative for an inexpensive cruise.

I know someone who just added another person to one of the cabins they already have. It's beyond final payment on a sold out ship. She was told by Royal that people can even be added at the port as long as you have a cabin that holds them. How could this be possible? Did that rep not know what they were talking about? :confused: As far as I know, the added person is going.

If all the cabins are sold, the ship will appear to be sold out on the website. That makes sense, doesn't it?

But, though people occupy every cabin, if few cabins have a 3/4 occupant or if there are many solos aboard, the ship could be below safe life boat/muster capacity...In that case, it could still be legal to add somebody to an existing reservation. So, your acquaintance probably got lucky.

If all the cabins are sold, the ship will appear to be sold out on the website. That makes sense, doesn't it?

But, though people occupy every cabin, if few cabins have a 3/4 occupant or if there are many solos aboard, the ship could be below safe life boat/muster capacity...In that case, it could still be legal to add somebody to an existing reservation. So, your acquaintance probably got lucky.

That's what I'm thinking because it doesn't seem to happen very often. There have been threads where someone wanted to add a person and it just wasn't possible due to the life boat capacity.

Let's see if this will help -

If there are 1000 cabins on the ship, say 500 hold 2 passengers, 250 hold 3 and another 250 hold 4, that is a total of 2,750 beds on board.

If the coast guard regulations state that the ship can hold 2500 passengers safely, 250 of the those beds will not be able to be filled.

If there are already 500 people booked in the 3/4 person cabins, the ship has potentially hit the maximum potential capacity even though there still may be 2 person cabins left. In this case you cannot add a 3rd or 4th person to an existing cabin.

If, on the the other hand, all cabins are sold, but only 2400 passengers are occupying those cabins, you could potentially add a 3rd/4th person.

Clear as mud, right :D. (hope I got the number right!)

Would someone please explain to me, the 3/4 full rule and not being able to add a 3rd person to a booking?

In my gut, I think I understand it, but I would like to hear it from someone who knows what the heck they are talking about - unlike the RCL rep last night. She actually SCOLDED me for booking a cabin on the Enchantment that holds 4 people (there are only 2 of us)... best I can tell ALL of the JS on Enchantment hold 4... she wasn't aware of this...

My niece just moved back in with her mom (long story short) now we need to bring her on our cruise. We tried to add her to one of the 5 rooms we had booked only to be told that there was a 2-person max in these rooms. So, they had to book a room all the way down at the other end of the ship (same deck) that was allowed to have 3 people in it. Very frustrating since now they aren't anywhere near us.

My niece just moved back in with her mom (long story short) now we need to bring her on our cruise. We tried to add her to one of the 5 rooms we had booked only to be told that there was a 2-person max in these rooms. So, they had to book a room all the way down at the other end of the ship (same deck) that was allowed to have 3 people in it. Very frustrating since now they aren't anywhere near us.

That's because not all cabins have 3 beds

she's 10 and would have slept on the couch or in the twin bed with her mom. They were willing to pay the same amount just to let her stay in their room.

Doesn't matter - only occasional exception is for a baby in a crib. You'll manage.

Say the total limit of passengers they can legally put on a ship (has to do with the number of seats on lifeboats) is 2,000. Right now they have 1,800 people booked and they have 100 rooms still available. They will shut down the 3/4 limit because if all of those 100 rooms sell at double occupancy they will be at their max limit. They may reopen it later if some people cancel, but they will never rely on any of those rooms being sold as single because a single can always add a second person.

Royal takes this rule VERY seriously and WILL NOT make exceptions. Your best bet, if you might have a 3rd is to book them early. You can cancel a 3rd passenger up to 14 days before sailing and get a full refund of their fare.

Archived