Which do You Prefer? Longer single Cruise or Shorter B2B?

Cras108er

Just curious, would you prefer to do a longer single cruise (I.e. 9, 10, or 14 day) or would you prefer 2-7Days (B2B)? I've done a 7-Day before and I've done 9 and 10-Days. I find there to be a huge difference between a 7-Day and a 9-Day. It seems as though on a 7-Day. you just get used to the ship and its time to get off. The longer cruise is just more relaxing and satisfying. Our next cruise will be the 7-Day B2B's. it dawned on me that the VIBE of the ship could be different, as the majority of passengers/crew begin transitioning to disembark mode on Day 5 or 6. On the other hand, NO ONE even mentions the word until about 2 daya later on a longer cruise. What has been your experience with this? Do you have a preference? Does it make a difference?

We keep trying, but can't find a cruise that is too long. Our next (this Saturday) is a 49 day b2b2b. The legs are 19, 13 and 17. This time many people will be staying on for the duration, so there will not be as much saying goodbye at the end of the first two legs.

Longer B2B ...16+ each

Lol. Maybe I should rephrase my question. I know that the longer the better (T least that's what people say here, but that's a discussion for a different thread), I'm asking from the perspective of those of us who aren't retired yet, and therefore are limited to two-week vacations. If you were limited to a two week time period, which is your preference?

Great Question! I, unfortunately, can't give an opinion based on experience yet. However I liked your comments on the longer cruise and how on a 7 day you just get in the swing and its time to get off. We are doing a 10 Day in May so I hope I get the same feelings. For me we have done 6 day and 7 day cruises in the past. 6 day is as short as I every want to go. But like the wise person said once, "any day on a cruise ship is better then a day at work".

Happy Crusing.

I think I am answering correctly. I would prefer one 14 day cruise over two 7 day cruises. Is that the question?

Some reasons

- Food and entertainment repeated if cruise is sold as two 7 day cruises.

- Return to starting port in the middle. Usually a somewhat wasted day.

- Everyone stays on, so you are not starting over meeting people.

Lol. Maybe I should rephrase my question. I know that the longer the better (T least that's what people say here, but that's a discussion for a different thread), I'm asking from the perspective of those of us who aren't retired yet, and therefore are limited to two-week vacations. If you were limited to a two week time period, which is your preference?

I don't really understand what you think the difference would be between 14 days as a single cruise and 14 days as b2b if they don't repeat ports. To me 14 days is 14 days whether it's one cruise or two 7day cruises b2b. What is the difference?

I've never done B2B, so I can't actually address that aspect, but given the time constraints with only 2 weeks in play, I'd be more inclined to do one longer cruise with extra days in the departure/arrival port(s).

Of course, the allure of that depends on where the cruise is departing from/sailing to and where you live.

I don't really understand what you think the difference would be between 14 days as a single cruise and 14 days as b2b if they don't repeat ports. To me 14 days is 14 days whether it's one cruise or two 7day cruises b2b. What is the difference?

The difference on Princess is that on the b2b, they will repeat the menus and much of the entertainment the second week. The ports may or may not be different.

I think I am answering correctly. I would prefer one 14 day cruise over two 7 day cruises. Is that the question?

Some reasons

- Food and entertainment repeated if cruise is sold as two 7 day cruises.

- Return to starting port in the middle. Usually a somewhat wasted day.

- Everyone stays on, so you are not starting over meeting people.

I agree totally with Paul.:) Plus everyone on the cruise, staff included seem to be more relax.

all in one shot. ports are not a concern.. I'd be more likely to NOT want the hassle of going through the rigamarole of 'disembarking' the first and then turning right around and checking back in for the second, even if you can keep the cabin and not have to actually leave the ship.

would it ever keep me from doing a B2B? highly unlikely..assuming we can ever snag that many days of leave in a row....

all in one shot. ports are not a concern.. I'd be more likely to NOT want the hassle of going through the rigamarole of 'disembarking' the first and then turning right around and checking back in for the second, even if you can keep the cabin and not have to actually leave the ship.

would it ever keep me from doing a B2B? highly unlikely..assuming we can ever snag that many days of leave in a row....

The most we have had to do is to get off the ship and go thru immigration. Most ports, we just have to go to the gangway to close the old cards and open the new.

I would choose an 11 day with a 3 day land stop in an interesting and nearby city such as Rome. To me that would be the best of both worlds.

In the Caribbean I would choose a 14 day cruise over 2 7 day cruises because I like the ports that are further away than you can get to and from on a 7 day cruise from Florida.

We can offer an opinion having done several back-to-backs and even a back to back to back.....and also having done several longer cruises (32, 41, 42 and 62 day). They are totally different experiences. A 7 day cruise, whether back to back or even back to back to back...is just a series of 7 day cruises. In many cases the entertainment repeats.....there are multiple boring Welcome Aboard shows....and Farewell Shows. In many cases the menus in the MDR are simply repeated. People come and go which does not contribute to making longer term friends. In addition, the back to backs tend to get a 7 day cruise crowd which means a bit younger, more kids, etc. On the true long cruise (such as a HA Grand Cruise) there are usually very few young folks, almost no kids or teens, menus are often never repeated, entertainment changes, there are lots of sea days, etc. It is a totally different laid-back atmosphere because nobody is concerned about crowding a vacation into a single week. As a "senior" cruiser who prefers like-minded cruisers and a minimum of kids and teens....we love the true long cruise. Another factor are the ports and time in ports. When you do a really long cruise you usually go to some fascinating places and will even get overnights (and we have had 2 nights) in great ports such as Venice, Istanbul, Lisbon, etc. This is not to say that a back to back Caribbean cruise is not fun (we just did one on the Westerdam) but the true long cruise is something very special.

Hank

We did b2b2b and never had to disembark the ship until our final day.

Although menus were repeated, the entertainment was not.

We did b2b2b and never had to disembark the ship until our final day.

Although menus were repeated, the entertainment was not.

This debarkation issue is primarily a problem if your turn-around port is in the USA. The US CBP require all passengers to depart the ship until they "zero out" the vessel...which means that every passenger is accounted for! At that point they allow the back to back passengers to reboard. This process can take as little as a half hour or its possible you would have to sit around a port for several hours (this is a worst case scenario). Of course the back to back passengers can always decide to simply leave the port facility and go off and explore the local area.

Hank

Thanks for all the input folks. At the time I booked, the 7X2 sounded exciting, but as I've had time to think, it's not so alluring. I am really not looking forward to two days of announcements about disembarkation briefings the business of the staff as they prepare to turn the ship around in the middle of my vacation. I also suspect that the "Welcome Aboard" bustle will ring a little hollow on the second leg. Its obviously not a deal breaker, and I'll muddle through, but I think in hindsight I would have booked a 14 days cruise (or even a 10-day) over this particular B2B, but they seem to be pretty rare in the Caribbean - at least at the time we plan to travel. Oh well, I'll have to suck it up. Life is so rough. :cool:

We would never consider a 7 day cruise.

Just too much of a hassle getting to the ship. We have to drive and stay at a hotel the night before we fly out. Then we stay 2 or 3 days precruise in a hotel (would never fly into the embarkation port on the same day as we do not have direct flights to anywhere). Then after the cruise we have to stay over night before flying home. And finally we have to stay at a hotel near the airport before driving home.

So it must 14 days or longer.

Here are MY reasons for this choice, some have been mentioned already:

-older crowd, less children and 20 something party types, I'm 58, a grand father and loving it but I do enjoy an adult break with just my wife. Our 19 day Asia trip had three children

-although menues will semi repeat with same items being offered in different combinations it won't be the exact same as last week

-many B2B are two loops of the same places, I want to see different places. If I like one I'll go back but I don't need to be taken back to somewhere I didn't enjoy. I sure don't want to spend a turn around day where I started and will ultimatly end.

-the entertainment will vary more. Have seen them come and go at various stops on a longer cruise. A 7 day B2B is far more likely to have the same stuff repeated

-longer cruises tend to have more sea days which is the principle reason I cruise. Can't get enough of them.

If I was a 20 year old again I'm sure some of the above would be much different but sadly I am not.

Archived