Wonderful Copenhagen

I definitely feel having the guide in advance of my visit was well worth the small shipping charge. It has provided great details on public transportation to the sites, hours of operation, tour times, restaurant discounts, ect. which has helped in planning my day. Also, I have the card ready to use when I get off the ship. We are planning on using bus 26 to get to the city hall area so no need to pay the bus driver! :D

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks for the info, Dolfans. Will order the cards before we leave. You do a lot of research like I do for all the trips. Would be nice to chat with you. We are in Boynton Beach. If you email me your phone #, would love to talk to you. My email is vkb2751 at yahoo dot com. Thanks,

Meenu

Thanks for the info, Dolfans. Will order the cards before we leave. You do a lot of research like I do for all the trips. Would be nice to chat with you. We are in Boynton Beach. If you email me your phone #, would love to talk to you. My email is vkb2751 at yahoo dot com. Thanks,

Meenu

Thanks for appreciating my research efforts, Meenu, and would love chatting with you as well! I will email you in a bit with my number so that we can catch up! :)

Dolfans from Miami

I definitely feel having the guide in advance of my visit was well worth the small shipping charge. It has provided great details on public transportation to the sites, hours of operation, tour times, restaurant discounts, ect. which has helped in planning my day. Also, I have the card ready to use when I get off the ship. We are planning on using bus 26 to get to the city hall area so no need to pay the bus driver! :D

Dolfans from Miami

We're flying in so could pick it up at the airport before using it on the train but having it already is one less thing to do. Won't have to try to figure out where we need to go to pick it up.

I'm flying in too, but have ordered the card online. I think having the guide book they supply ahead time will be a big help. I did order the Streetwise Map that was recommended on this thread (it is very easy to use/read) and I also bought Rick Steves' Scandinavia book to read up on some of the other Baltic cities I will be visiting.

Thanks to all on this thread for all the great info.

...How about car rental companies? I've looked into Styx, as they seem to have the best prices.

Thanks,

Judy

Just as an FYI, Judy, that I am looking through my Copenhagen Guide that came along with my 24 hour card and they are offering a 20% discount for Avis or Europcar. I wasn't sure if you were planning on purchasing the card but just in case you were, I thought it would be good for you to know about this discount ahead of time. Enjoy your trip... Sounds like an amazing journey you have planned! :)

Dolfans from Miami

I'm flying in too, but have ordered the card online. I think having the guide book they supply ahead time will be a big help. I did order the Streetwise Map that was recommended on this thread (it is very easy to use/read) and I also bought Rick Steves' Scandinavia book to read up on some of the other Baltic cities I will be visiting.

Thanks to all on this thread for all the great info.

Hi puggymom

I think you will be very pleased with your decision on getting the card ahead of time. I am going through the guide now and it offers some really good info and discounts to some local restaurants in Copenhagen. The Rick Steves book is really helpful as well, as you mentioned in your post. I particularly like the self guided walking tours he offers for the various ports we are visiting. :). Enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

We're flying in so could pick it up at the airport before using it on the train but having it already is one less thing to do. Won't have to try to figure out where we need to go to pick it up.

Excellent point, lost in translation! With such limited time in port, who wants to waste time running around trying to find an outlet to pick up the card? Not me, that's for sure! ;) Enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

Danish Viking,

We have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate all your advise.

We will be arriving on RCL Vison of the Seas at pier 245 on Saturday, May 11. We are staying at the Mayfair. We are wondering what the best method of transportation would be from the pier to the hotel. It appears that if we take public transportation, we would be doing more walking than riding. Would a taxi be better and what would be a typical fare?

Just as an FYI, Judy, that I am looking through my Copenhagen Guide that came along with my 24 hour card and they are offering a 20% discount for Avis or Europcar. I wasn't sure if you were planning on purchasing the card but just in case you were, I thought it would be good for you to know about this discount ahead of time. Enjoy your trip... Sounds like an amazing journey you have planned! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks Dolfans,

I appreciate the heads up.

BTW - we'll be in Miami on April 23 on our way to Copenhagen.

We are getting the card, but I think we're getting it when we arrive.

I found a Hertz car for 20% off.

I can pick it up in town & return it to the airport before we fly out.

I have done some car research & this one was as cheap as I've seen.

I can cancel it at no cost if I find something better.

It looks like we are finally ready to roll! :)

All bookings are done & now it's time to think about packing.

We have out-of-town guests during the 5 days before we leave, so I have to be super-organized!

Last on the list is finding someone to either pick us up at the airport (10 PM) or, better yet, someone to take our car to the airport during the day & leave it in the parking lot.

We leave by train & return by air, so there's no leaving the car at the airport. Plus, we'll be gone 40 days. I'd hate to see that parking bill.

This little problem will hopefully be solved soon.

Judy

Hi puggymom

I think you will be very pleased with your decision on getting the card ahead of time. I am going through the guide now and it offers some really good info and discounts to some local restaurants in Copenhagen. The Rick Steves book is really helpful as well, as you mentioned in your post. I particularly like the self guided walking tours he offers for the various ports we are visiting. :). Enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

I have the Rick Steves book. Debating whether to get the Streetwise map.

You would have to walk from around 15 minutes from Nordhavn S-train station to the pier, just take any S-trains from the the central station at track 9 and 10.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Klubiensvej,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.70811,12.594559&spn=0.007362,0.01929&sll=55.708111,12.594967&sspn=0.007362,0.01929&geocode=FRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw%3BFdcQUgMdF0DAACn3kyT66lJSRjGeFR1ON3tXQQ&oq=klubiens&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

A taxi would probably be around 150-200 DKK and a single ticket with the train costs 24 DKK.

I have the Rick Steves book. Debating whether to get the Streetwise map.

I just downloaded the Rick Steves Scandinavia book on my iPad.

It is the 2010 edition, but I looked at a list of the updates for 2013 & there aren't many.

It cost $9.99 & was worth every penny. (Not to have to carry the paperback version)

Judy

Danish Viking, thank you so very much for of the wonderful information that you provide on this thread. We will port in Copenhagen on July 24 at C190 for one day from 8-5. Can you please recommend sites and a route that we can follow from about 9-4. Again, many thanks.

You can start at the Little Mermaid

Then the resistance museum with free entrance that opens at 10:00

http://natmus.dk/en/visit-the-museums/the-museum-of-danish-resistance/the-museum-of-danish-resistance-1940-1945/

Maybe you can time so you are at Amalienborg at noon for the changing of the guard, that it also free but entrance to the museum wing is not.

http://www.ses.dk/en/SlotteOgHaver/Slotte/Amalienborg/frederik8palae/AabningForOffentligheden.aspx?sc_lang=en

Next up is Nyhavn with any of the two canal tour companies, it takes aprox 1 hour

http://www.stromma.dk/en/Home/

http://nettobaadene.dk/

Here you can also eat some lunch at any of the restaurants or cafés.

Next up is Rosenborg castle if you got the time i migane that the clock will be around 2 pm when you arrive at Rosenborg Castle so you got one hour but that should do the trick.

http://dkks.dk/english

My walking route back to the ship suggest the botanical garden but that is perhaps to optimistic.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue+to:Frihedsmuseet,+Churchillparken+to:Amalienborg+Slotsplads,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:botanisk+have+to:Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.688956,12.586384&spn=0.029464,0.077162&sll=55.689198,12.586899&sspn=0.029464,0.077162&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFcC7UQMdIDTAACEcSeIbrBnB5SkxnzH_IFNSRjEcSeIbrBnB5Q%3BFeasUQMdMSfAACmXtjw3IlNSRjHZ4cl7QUfVtA%3BFemYUQMdvCLAACE4vU4Eke_lQinDyPvXPFNSRjE4vU4Eke_lQg%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFVCwUQMdY9i_ACEmWkaGuATuoSnz3TyvBFNSRjEmWkaGuATuoQ%3BFcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw&oq=langelini&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=14

If you are running late there are many taxis at Nørreport located left when you come outr on the big street,

But you can also walk right instead at walk to the bus stop and catch bus 26 to the pier.

You have to look at Mandag til Fredag and the times marked with a B goes to Indiakaj in the bottom of Langelinie.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000028418

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98ster+Voldgade+%4055.687865,12.579274&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.687081,12.578107&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.687864,12.579273&sspn=0.00046,0.001206&geocode=FcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFbm6UQMdyvG_AA&oq=rosenborg&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=18

Important new info that has slipped my attention.

Bus 26 does not go all the way out the Langelinie Pier, now the bus stop a few 100 meters before at Indiakaj.

I´m guessing that it can better turn at the roundabout because there is a construction site at the tip of Langelinie thats probably takes some space at the tip of the pier.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000010008

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Indiakaj+%4055.695184,12.598029&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.696418,12.60046&spn=0.007365,0.01929&sll=55.69686,12.599027&sspn=0.003682,0.009645&geocode=FUXkUQMdhUPAACmJt-Oo3VJSRjELb6IdJ-n0FQ%3BFVDXUQMdDTvAAA&oq=Langeliniekaj&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

Edited by Danish viking

Important new info that has slipped my attention.

Bus 26 does not go all the way out the Langelinie Pier, now the bus stop a few 100 meters before at Indiakaj.

I´m guessing that it can better turn at the roundabout because there is a construction site at the tip of Langelinie thats probably takes some space at the tip of the pier.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000010008

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Indiakaj+%4055.695184,12.598029&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.696418,12.60046&spn=0.007365,0.01929&sll=55.69686,12.599027&sspn=0.003682,0.009645&geocode=FUXkUQMdhUPAACmJt-Oo3VJSRjELb6IdJ-n0FQ%3BFVDXUQMdDTvAAA&oq=Langeliniekaj&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

Thank you for this information, Danish Viking. Is this a temporary change? We will be visiting on May 29th so I was wondering if we should plan on walking to Indiakaj. I know that it is not much further but just to know not to wait at the pier stop. Also, will the bus begin this route by 7:00 am do you know? Thanks for all your assistance!

Dolfans from Miami

The 28.000 sqm building is finished in the summer 2014 so its probably both this and next summer.

I posted the timetable for that bus stop so you just have to look. :D

Monday to friday first bus at 06:34

Saturday at 06:06

Sunday at 06:05

Edited by Danish viking

I have been reading all the posts about hotels to stay in before our cruise. Some of the ones I was looking at that might be closer to the city center are booked for the time we are going in July. I am now considering the Crowne Plaza (I think it is near the airport?) or STAY (Islands Brygge?). We will be staying in Copenhagen for two nights before our cruise. How difficult would it be to see the sites if we stay in either of these hotels and how difficult will transportation be for us?

I have been reading all the posts about hotels to stay in before our cruise. Some of the ones I was looking at that might be closer to the city center are booked for the time we are going in July. I am now considering the Crowne Plaza (I think it is near the airport?) or STAY (Islands Brygge?). We will be staying in Copenhagen for two nights before our cruise. How difficult would it be to see the sites if we stay in either of these hotels and how difficult will transportation be for us?

If you choose the Crowne Plaza you will have two options.

Metro to Kongens Nytorv where you will find Nyhavn, Amalienborg and the expensive end of Strøget with the designer stores.

Airport/Øresund Train to Copenhagen Central Station (København H) where you will find Tivoli, Town Hall Square and the other end of Strøget.

When you are out on Amager anyway you can visit Den Blå Planet that is located one metro stop from the airport.

http://www.denblaaplanet.dk/

Danish King,

Can my wife and I share a 10 ride subway ticket.

Yes you can, if you are going from the airport you need 3 zoners each so you just validate it 3 times if you have the 2 zone edition.

And its not only for the Subway (or Metro as we call it) you can use it on the yellow waterbus, regular bus, S-trains and commuter trains.

But remember that they stoip selling all klippekort from June 1st but they are valid to june 1st 2014 if purchased before that date.

After that its the Rejsekortet that works instead, that the Danish version of Londons Oyster Card.

The 28.000 sqm building is finished in the summer 2014 so its probably both this and next summer.

I posted the timetable for that bus stop so you just have to look. :D

Monday to friday first bus at 06:34

Saturday at 06:06

Sunday at 06:05

Thank you Danish Viking! :). Do you happen to know whether the construction will interfere with the HOHO buses as well coming to the port?

Dolfans from Miami

Do far I haven't heard anything but it would surprice me if it was the case because the cruiseships are big business for these companies.

For bus 26 on the other hand then I don't think that its important for them because they rely on daily commuters so here it's more important that the bus is on time than anything else.

I believe that this is the reason because it can get stuck behind some tourist busses on the way out and then its better to be on the safe side.

Do far I haven't heard anything but it would surprice me if it was the case because the cruiseships are big business for these companies.

For bus 26 on the other hand then I don't think that its important for them because they rely on daily commuters so here it's more important that the bus is on time than anything else.

I believe that this is the reason because it can get stuck behind some tourist busses on the way out and then its better to be on the safe side.

Good point Danish Viking. I appreciate your prompt response and I am sure you will share any information you get with us hear on the thread. Thanks again for all your assistance. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Danish Viking,

Thank you for the transportation and site seeing information you provided us if we stay at the Crowne Plaza. Does the STAY apartment hotel have convenient transportation options and/or is it too far away from the city center? We will be staying in Copenhagen for two nights.