Wonderful Copenhagen

I think Rick Steves recommend Netto Baden.

I have Steves' book. He recommended Netto-Badene because it was cheaper & we would probably use them if we didn't have the Copenhagen card. Apparently only Stromma is included with the C Card.

Edited by DanL

Thank you, Elzacruiser. I think RS recommended Netto Baden because it was less expensive. But if they are both included with the Copenhagen Card, I wonder if the other one is better?!

Dolfans from Miami

I think one has some covered boats but i don't recollect which.

Right now the card is an amazing deal--about $53 per adult. According to their calculator you break even with a canal boat ride, Tivoli, and transportation.

I am assuming that the list on the website if for April onwards as they are not accepting on-line orders for March.

Does the price of the card change over time? We would order now and pick up in early June for use immediately after our cruise in mid June.

Edited by Alaskanb

Right now the card is an amazing deal--about $53 per adult. According to their calculator you break even with a canal boat ride, Tivoli, and transportation.

I am assuming that the list on the website if for April onwards as they are not accepting on-line orders for March.

Does the price of the card change over time? We would order now and pick up in early June for use immediately after our cruise in mid June.

The price of the Copenhagen Card goes up sometime soon. I can't remember which day. The euro has gone down against the dollar so it's cheaper than when I originally checked. I think it comes to 38€ this summer. If you have it mailed, it is 44€ each. I just got my bill today from the credit card...$1.31/€.

I did check the routes of the canal boats as advertised on their websites. It appears to me they are identical. DFDS has a nice map ( http://www.stromma.dk/en/SIGHTSEEING-TOURS/The-grand-tour-fr-Nyhavn/) but Netto has a list of things you see and it seemed to me to be the same ( http://www.havnerundfart.dk/canaltours/index.php?page=engsejlrute.php ). I think DFDS might have a shorter line because it is more expensive...in which case with my Copenhagen card, I'll choose that one. I'll just wait and see.

Speaking of Rick Steve's, he also mentions a beer kiosk near the bridge at Nyhavn. I went to google maps street view and couldn't find it. Maybe it's only a tourist time thing.

Danish Viking, thanks so much for that long range weather prediction. Sounds like I may see some fog off the coast of Norway and have dry days in the Baltic.

Thanks!

The forecast is only for Denmark so maybe it don't get foggy in Norway, The west coast mentioned is Vestkysten in Jylland (the big peninsula)

I ordered my cards on line for our May 29th visit and it was mailed to my home within 10 days. I think I paid about $6.00 more for the shipping but I have the card to use right when I get off the ship. I found it to be a good value since we are planning several inside museum visits plus the canal boat tour. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Sorry that I confused you.

Stromma now owns the DFDS Canal Tours, I'm just very good at sticking to old names instead of using the new ones.

The new name is Canal Tours Copenhagen.

The reason why Canal Tours are more expensive that Netto Bådene is that they are guided, but they also have a socalled HO/HO boat without a guide.

So the big question is if they offer a free ride on the regular Canal Tour or if its only for the HO/HO boat, if its just the HO/HO boat then there is no difference between them and Netto Bådene.

Edited by Danish viking

Hi I'm trying to decide on a hotel and came across the Copenhagen Strand Hotel, Hotel Tiffany, or Palace Hotel . Does anyone have any feedback about these hotels? Transportation, close to center? I'm trying to find child friendly hotels (it's a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, I'm using tripadvisor too). :confused:

Hi I'm trying to decide on a hotel and came across the Copenhagen Strand Hotel, Hotel Tiffany, or Palace Hotel . Does anyone have any feedback about these hotels? Transportation, close to center? I'm trying to find child friendly hotels (it's a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, I'm using tripadvisor too). :confused:

Perhaps somewhere like the Marriott or Hilton would be more "child-friendly". What are you specifically looking for regarding the hotel-- breakfast included, pool, family room etc? Try this Google search "Family friendly hotels Copenhagen"

Edited by Alaskanb

I agree maybe telling us what you need in a hotel would be more helpful. I just figure all hotels are child friendly but maybe I'm wrong since I don't have any.

Are you having trouble with finding a 3 person room? or a room with 2 beds? free breakfast? close to a certain landmark?

We would like something centrally located, a included breakfast would be nice but not necessary. We aren't too picky we just dont want to spend over $260. These three hotels (Strand, Tiffany, and Palace) were in our price range. Many hotels will only allow 2 people (I assume this is because most of the rooms are small and a crib would not fit in them?). Also I've found a few hotels specifically saying no children allowed.

Edited by DnA151826

ok so you need a crib not an extra bed. That helps a little. When are you going and is that for one night ($260) or more than one (like a total for multiple nights)? I know it is a dense question but maybe it will help.

Hotels.com wants to know the age of your child on check in - age please :)

Edited by blonde1981

We are hoping to spend no more than $260 a night. We are taking a cruise with Holland America May 31st so we were thinking we would fly in May 28th and stay 3 nights to see the city and adjust to the time change from the states.

Ok looking at just hotels.com and focusing on 2 main areas: City Center, Tivoli, and Nyhavn take a look at these hotels and read the reviews on a few different sites to get an idea.

Grand Hotel 4 out of 5 stars $182/night cribs available (charge); check actual hotel website and you might be able to get free breakfast

Hotel Du Nord 3 out of 5 stars $159/night cribs available (charge); free breakfast

Hotel Ansgar 3 out of 5 stars $194/night (family room) cribs available (charge); check hotel for free breakfast

Copenhagen Crown Hotel 3 out of 5 stars $198/night free crib; free breakfast

I have Steves' book. He recommended Netto-Badene because it was cheaper & we would probably use them if we didn't have the Copenhagen card. Apparently only Stromma is included with the C Card.

Danish Viking is correct & above is not correct according to this easier to read site that lists prices in Euros http://www.copenhagencard.com/?currency=eur

Both Stromma & Netto-Badene are included.

Also the price for the Stromma boat is going up as of April 1 according to here http://www.stromma.dk/en/SIGHTSEEING-TOURS/Hop-on-hop-off-boat/

Seems like the 2 day Card for us. Thanks to all who contributed.

Does anyone know if the HOHO boat or bus is included in the Copenhagen Card. They are both by canal tours? Thank you.

Meenu

Hi Meenu

From what I understand and have read during my research, the HOHO bus/boat is not covered under the Copenhagen card. Although, like you said, the canal tour is offered by the same company (DFDS), it is the standard tour without the hop on hop off feature that is offered under the card. Of course maybe others can confirm this as well to be sure. :)

Dolfans from Miami

Does anyone know if the HOHO boat or bus is included in the Copenhagen Card. They are both by canal tours? Thank you.

Meenu

I just read in my 2013-2014 guide that came with my Copenhagen card and it is in fact the GUIDED tour with commentary that is free with the card. Another interesting tid bit... The tour is free only from the Gammelstrand location (by Christiansborg Palace). It states in the guide that there is a fee to start the tour in Nyhavn. Netto-Badene offers the free tour from either location (Nyhavn or Holmes Church). :)

Dolfans from Miami

Dolfans from Miami

Thats a clever decision by them, no one hardly ever uses that departure point and certainly not not after the metro station is under construction so its a good way to make people use that departure point.

As you can see on this map Gammel Strand is located aprox on the middle of Strøget (Amagertorv) next to Højbro Plads and Christiansborg Palace.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?q=Gammel+Strand,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.677763,12.579297&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.397003,10.43684&sspn=0.014842,0.038581&oq=gammel+strand&t=h&hnear=Gammel+Strands,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&z=18

The metro site covers all of Gammel Strand as you can see on this map so o don´t know on what side the Canal Tour boats are docked at.

http://m.dk/#!/stations/byggepladser/gammel+strand/*****+gammel+strand/kort+over+byggepladsen+gammel+strand

I will be in Copenhagen this Easter to see a movie or something else and i have promised to look out for the new location of the busstop out at the Freeport Terminal so I will also check out where the Gammel stand dock for the canal tours are located .

Edited by Danish viking