Wonderful Copenhagen

Hello Danish Viking

First of all, let me say a big HOORAY!!! to you for all the help that you provide us lucky tourists. It is very much appreciated.

We will be arriving on the Constellation at Langeline Pier on Wednesday, July 17, at 8:00 but only have until 5:00 to visit your lovely city. We love to walk and don't might walking from the pier to the sites. I would appreciate your input as to

1. what you feel is worthwhile seeing in this short tiime

2. the order in which you see them to take advantage of special events (like the changing of the guard)

3. and maybe a route map possibly taking a different route back to the pier.

(I'm not asking for much, am I? :)

Much thanks!

This route depends on you leaving the ship pretty early.

First you walk pass The little mermaid

Then you are at Rosenborg Castle that opens at 10:00 to see the crown jewels.

There are not long to Amalienborg Palace as you can see on the map.

From there you walk to Nyhavn and take a canal tour that takes one hour.

From here you can walk along strøget until you reach amagertorv and turn right at Købmagergade where you will find The Round Tower (Runde Tårn).

Depending on the time left you can continue to Nørreport station and take the train to Østerport where you can walk to langelinie or take bus 26 towards Langelinie or Indiakaj.

If you have time left you can continue back on Strøget and walk to the town hall square and Tivoli.

From here you can take the train to Østerport from both Vesterport and København H (central station) or take bus 26 from there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue,+Danmark+to:Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Amalienborg+Slotsplads,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Illum,+%C3%98stergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Rundetaarn,+K%C3%B8bmagergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Illum,+%C3%98stergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:R%C3%A5dhuspladsen,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Vesterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68702,12.580976&spn=0.042529,0.13175&sll=55.687511,12.584615&sspn=0.042529,0.13175&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFeasUQMdMSfAACmXtjw3IlNSRjHZ4cl7QUfVtA%3BFemYUQMdvCLAACE4vU4Eke_lQinDyPvXPFNSRjE4vU4Eke_lQg%3BFQSaUQMd0PS_ACGzfqY2ZjPvtCk9B4htF1NSRjGzfqY2ZjPvtA%3BFUOhUQMd8uO_ACE3pD6jbZ865ymhm_uDEFNSRjE3pD6jbZ865w%3BFQSaUQMd0PS_ACGzfqY2ZjPvtCk9B4htF1NSRjGzfqY2ZjPvtA%3BFZ-MUQMd9si_ACEQ_e2qHLAXJymZHt37DVNSRjEQ_e2qHLAXJw%3BFWuMUQMdp66_AClHnh0TDFNSRjEQYgXwtTg5Hg&oq=vesterport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=14

I visited the visitCOPENhagen site and put in the day I will be visiting (May 29, 2013) and the purchase option pops up displaying the different cards available for purchase (24, 72, 120 hours) and that was it. Added 2 - 24 hour cards to the basket and checked out using my Visa card. It does display in Euros but comes out to the amount offered by Viator with the addition of the $6.00 shipping fee. Good luck! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks for all your hand holding with this purchase. The June date we wanted finally came available today. I thought the site was poor in that it did not allow you to double check your purchase once you enter credit card info. And it was computed in euros. Unlike you, I never got any confirmation of the cost in US dollars. My confirmation did not break down shipping either. The $-€ conversion will make this much more expensive. I guess I have to wait till it shows up on my credit card to see if I got the Viator price plus shipping.

Thanks for all your hand holding with this purchase. The June date we wanted finally came available today. I thought the site was poor in that it did not allow you to double check your purchase once you enter credit card info. And it was computed in euros. Unlike you, I never got any confirmation of the cost in US dollars. My confirmation did not break down shipping either. The $-€ conversion will make this much more expensive. I guess I have to wait till it shows up on my credit card to see if I got the Viator price plus shipping.

Glad you got it! I agree that the site has a poor paying process. The confirmation I received was in Euros also. I figured the breakdown on my own compared to the Viator site. The charge on my CC was $118.52 and the total through Viator would have been $103.14 (the price has gone up effective 4/1/13). So it was approximately $15.00 shipping fee for both cards. Worth it to us since we will be able to use the cards right when we disembark. :). Enjoy your cruise!

Dolfans from Miami

This route depends on you leaving the ship pretty early.

First you walk pass The little mermaid

Then you are at Rosenborg Castle that opens at 10:00 to see the crown jewels.

There are not long to Amalienborg Palace as you can see on the map.

From there you walk to Nyhavn and take a canal tour that takes one hour.

From here you can walk along strøget until you reach amagertorv and turn right at Købmagergade where you will find The Round Tower (Runde Tårn).

Depending on the time left you can continue to Nørreport station and take the train to Østerport where you can walk to langelinie or take bus 26 towards Langelinie or Indiakaj.

If you have time left you can continue back on Strøget and walk to the town hall square and Tivoli.

From here you can take the train to Østerport from both Vesterport and København H (central station) or take bus 26 from there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue,+Danmark+to:Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Amalienborg+Slotsplads,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Illum,+%C3%98stergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Rundetaarn,+K%C3%B8bmagergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Illum,+%C3%98stergade,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:R%C3%A5dhuspladsen,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark+to:Vesterport+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn,+Danmark&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68702,12.580976&spn=0.042529,0.13175&sll=55.687511,12.584615&sspn=0.042529,0.13175&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFeasUQMdMSfAACmXtjw3IlNSRjHZ4cl7QUfVtA%3BFemYUQMdvCLAACE4vU4Eke_lQinDyPvXPFNSRjE4vU4Eke_lQg%3BFQSaUQMd0PS_ACGzfqY2ZjPvtCk9B4htF1NSRjGzfqY2ZjPvtA%3BFUOhUQMd8uO_ACE3pD6jbZ865ymhm_uDEFNSRjE3pD6jbZ865w%3BFQSaUQMd0PS_ACGzfqY2ZjPvtCk9B4htF1NSRjGzfqY2ZjPvtA%3BFZ-MUQMd9si_ACEQ_e2qHLAXJymZHt37DVNSRjEQ_e2qHLAXJw%3BFWuMUQMdp66_AClHnh0TDFNSRjEQYgXwtTg5Hg&oq=vesterport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=14

Thanks so much for your suggestions and map!!

Thank you, Danish Viking, for the update. It also appears that the website has been revitalized as well! :). Very nice!

Dolfans from Miami

Yes but it seems that the prices are quoted in danish krone when i choose English, a small problem i know but irritating.

And yes, its a major facelift, perhaps it was the reason why purchasing the card was not an option.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking,

You have been particularly patient answering all the same questions over and over and helping me eliminate and choose what I want to do while in Copenhagen. We decided to buy the Copenhagen card. We will be arriving on a Wednesday at Orientkaj at 10am. We plan to take bus 26 to a stop near the Little Mermaid.

#1 will we be getting on at DFDS bus stop?

#2 which stop do we get off near the Little Mermaid? It appears from the bus website (http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/pages/buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200002610000&linegid=9011200002600000&line_name=26)

that the schedule changes March 24. Since I can't read Danish, I'm having trouble determining what are the times after 10am to catch the bus.

We will then somewhat follow the walking plan you recently suggested ending our day at Tivoli.

#3 What is the bus station closest to Tivoli to return on bus #26 to Freeport. I know that not all buses go to Freeport and I have to look for it to say Færgehavn Nord. Right?

#4 how late do the buses run out to Freeport on a Wed in June? Our ship leaves at 11pm.

Edited to add one last question:

#5. The Copenhagen card comes undated. They said it will be stamped the first time you use it at an attraction. Since my first use will be the bus, does the bus driver stamp the time and date on it?

Thanks again for being so patient with all of our questions.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

You don´t have to think about the changed schedule.

You will have to use Kalkbrænderihavnsgade as its the nearest to the freeport terminal.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Kalkbr%C3%A6nderihavnsgade+%4055.709223,12.590562&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.708926,12.596898&spn=0.003681,0.009645&sll=55.709766,12.59589&sspn=0.007362,0.01929&geocode=FX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA%3BFScOUgMd4h3AAA&oq=orientkaj&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000006591

You Then get off at either Søndre Frihavn or Østerport station, Sløjfen and walk to the little mermaid from there.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=S%C3%B8ndre+Frihavn+%4055.695687,12.594080&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.693479,12.594645&spn=0.003683,0.009645&sll=55.703161,12.595595&sspn=0.029454,0.077162&geocode=FUfZUQMdoCvAAA%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w&oq=den+lille&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

You can also wait at Østerport for the next bus 26 going toward Langelinie and get of at Indiakaj and walk from there.

The last bus 26 that goes to Færgehavn Nord (or also Unicef) is deparding from the central station at 18:25 (direction Unicef) but else you can take any northbound S-train and walk from Nordhavn and back to the ship.

It doesn´t get dark before departure so it won´t be a shaddy walk at all.

The card is validated by writing date and time with a pencil, that you can do by yourself if you want to.

You don´t have to think about the changed schedule.

You will have to use Kalkbrænderihavnsgade as its the nearest to the freeport terminal.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Kalkbr%C3%A6nderihavnsgade+%4055.709223,12.590562&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.708926,12.596898&spn=0.003681,0.009645&sll=55.709766,12.59589&sspn=0.007362,0.01929&geocode=FX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA%3BFScOUgMd4h3AAA&oq=orientkaj&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000006591

You Then get off at either Søndre Frihavn or Østerport station, Sløjfen and walk to the little mermaid from there.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=S%C3%B8ndre+Frihavn+%4055.695687,12.594080&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.693479,12.594645&spn=0.003683,0.009645&sll=55.703161,12.595595&sspn=0.029454,0.077162&geocode=FUfZUQMdoCvAAA%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w&oq=den+lille&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

You can also wait at Østerport for the next bus 26 going toward Langelinie and get of at Indiakaj and walk from there.

The last bus 26 that goes to Færgehavn Nord (or also Unicef) is deparding from the central station at 18:25 (direction Unicef) but else you can take any northbound S-train and walk from Nordhavn and back to the ship.

It doesn´t get dark before departure so it won´t be a shaddy walk at all.

The card is validated by writing date and time with a pencil, that you can do by yourself if you want to.

Thank you SO much! You are a treasure!

Hi There

Could you please advise if theres any tour companies there that pick up at the port,we are there for the day on 11th May and so far i have drawn a blank

Thanks Dennis

Thanks to your recent posting, I now know that we will be docked at C245. We are planning on buying the 24 hour City card at the airport. Does the 24 hours begin when you buy it or first use it? We were going to get another 24 hour ticket the next day as we will have2 half days and 1 full day. What is the public transportation we should use that would involve the least walking to get to the Neptune Hotel?

You can write down the starting date and time yourself so its not valid from when you purchase it.

The nearest public transportation from your hotel is the metro station at Kongens Nytorv.

You can walk from here or take bus 1A towards Helkerup/Charlottenlund Fort, 15 towards Østerbro, Ryparken and probably also 26 towards Færgehavn Nord/Unicef or Langelinie/Indiakaj but I'm not sure of that one.

But its only one stop so the time you use waiting on the bus can probably be used to walk to the hotel instead.

I can post a map later when I get home from work if you want to or just search on Hotel Maritime on Google maps.

I have a question concerning tipping. Is tipping customary in Copenhagen? Specifically to taxi drivers, porters that take your luggage at the airport and port and waitstaff at restaurants. If so, what would be a proper amount there? Percentage of a bill or amount per bag?

Thanks to your recent posting, I now know that we will be docked at C245. We are planning on buying the 24 hour City card at the airport. Does the 24 hours begin when you buy it or first use it? We were going to get another 24 hour ticket the next day as we will have2 half days and 1 full day. What is the public transportation we should use that would involve the least walking to get to the Neptune Hotel?

The Copenhagen Card now comes in 48-hour. That is what we will be getting since we have two half days and a full day. I think it is cheaper than buying two 24-hour cards although two 24-hour cards would give you more flexibility regarding timing. Our 48-hour cards will expire within 48 hours of taking the train from the airport so need to take the bus to the pier within 48 hours.

But its a good decision, a trip from the airport costs 36 and to the ship only 24 so it saves you 12 kroner. :D

@ mysticks1

No tipping is mandatory in Denmark but I always gives at restaurants if the service and food is good.

But I would never give a taxi driver or something similar.

@ mysticks1

No tipping is mandatory in Denmark but I always gives at restaurants if the service and food is good.

But I would never give a taxi driver or something similar.

Thanks for the info. It is good to know where we should expect to tip. I always tip well here for good service in a restaurant.

Your ship arrives at Langelinie Pier at 09:00 but i don´t know how long it takes to clear the ship so I have added a buffer.

First you walk from Langelinie Pier to Østerport Station.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98sterport+st+%4055.692661,12.587784&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.694773,12.596233&spn=0.007365,0.01929&sll=55.69435,12.593486&sspn=0.007365,0.01929&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFXXNUQMdCBPAAA&oq=%C3%B8sterport&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

Take IC 837 towards Esbjerg deparding at 10:16

Arriving 10:49 at Roskilde Station.

At 10:57 you take bus number 203 towards Veddelev from Roskilde St/Ny Terminal and get off at Vikingeskibsmuseet at 11:04.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Roskilde.pdf

From Østerport you buy a 24 hour ticket that costs 130 DKK and that is the reason why you can´t take the bus from Langelinie to Østerport because the bus driver don´t sell 24 hour cards so you will pay 24 DKK just to travel that short trip.

But you can of course use the ticket when going from Østerport to Langelinie.

Just remember that the bus are heading for Langelinie or Indiakaj or else you have problems. :D

Edited by Danish viking

What park are you talking about???

NCL will normally dock at the Freeport Terminal, if you use google maps just search on Orientkaj and Sundkaj.

Generally Copenhagen is very safe but we have the same problems as in all of Europe with Roma´s and other Eastern European people coming to DEnmark only to steal from people.

But as long as you have you wallet and phone at a safe place you will have no problems.

Of course we have unsafe neighbourhoods like Tingbjerg, Sjælør, parts of Nørrebro and Vesterbro but tourist will not normally go there.