Wonderful Copenhagen

I always get the question about which hotel to choose and here is the current ranking according to tripadviser.

I added top 20 plus the most requested hotels along the list.

1. Nimb (Tivoli/Central station)

2. Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers (Ørestad, halfway between downtown and the airport)

3. Andersen Hotel Copenhagen (Vesterbro/Central Station)

4. Stay Copenhagen (Islands Brygge)

5. Clarion Collection Hotel Mayfair (Vesterbro/Central Station)

6. Sømandshjemmet Bethel (Nyhavn area)

7. Bertrams Hotel Guldsmeden (Vesterbro)

8. Adina Apartment hotels Copenhagen (Søndre Frihavn/Langelinie Pier)

9. Bella Sky Comwell (Ørestad, halfway between downtown and the airport)

10. Axel Hotel Guldsmeden (Vesterbro/Central Station)

11. Copenhagen Marriott hotel (Kalvebod Brygge/Town Hall Square)

12. Best Western Hotel City (Nyhavn area)

13. Savoy Hotel (Vesterbro/Central Station)

14. Copenhagen Admiral Hotel (Nyhavn/Amalienborg)

15. Tivoli Hotel (Kalvebod Brygge)

16. Radisson Blu Royal Hotel (Tivoli/Central Station))

17. Hotel Tiffany (Vesterbro/Central Station)

18. Wakeup Copenhagen (Kalvebod Brygge)

19. Hotel Kong Arthur (Nørreport area)

20. Hotel Alexandra (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

21. Clarion Collection Hotel Neptun (Nyhavn/Amalienborg)

22. Scandic Palace Hotel (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

25. First Hotel Sankt Petri (Kongens Have/Nørreport)

32. The Square (Tivoli/Town Hall Square)

39. Imperial Hotel (Vesterport)

42. Absalon Hotel (Vesterbro/Central Station)

48. Hotel Tweentyseven (Town Hall Square/Strøget)

58. First Hotel Kong Frederik(Town Hall Square)

101. Hotel Rye (Østerbro) The last rated hotel

Clarion Mayfair is simply one of the best hotels in Copenhagen at the moment an was nominated for the travellers choice award for best service in Copenhagen (or is it Denmark) last year and got in at number 8.

Its rated as the fifth best hotel in Copenhagen, Kong Frederik is number 58 or something. huuuuge gap.

Thanks for the information, booked the Clarion Mayfair this morning.

Another question, how far is the cruise dock for the Emerald Princess from the Clarion? Is a taxi the best way and how much would it be?

That depends on the day.

If its a weekend or public holiday you can take any northbound S-train to Nordhavn and walk to the ship from there.

And if its a Monday to Friday you can either take the S-train to Østerport and take bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord or Unicef and get off at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

You can also take the bus from the central station at Vesterbrogade.

All 3 trips will cost you 24 DKK for one person.

A taxi will cost rou around 200 kroner.

Danish Viking - do you know if taxi's (we will take one from the port to City Hall) take Euros - we will probably also buy lunch etc - - or should I go to the AMEX office in US and get some Danish DK - what amount would you suggest for a day - just for small stuff - we will be on the HAL Eurodam - I have found the exchange rate on the ships is terrible - Thanks in advance

The exchange rate will be equally bad at the taxi if not even worse.

But you will need 150-200 DKK from the pier to the town hall square.

A nice lunch will be available for around 50-100 DKK and dinner starts from almost 100 DKK without any to drink and can end up and 2-300 DKK and even more with 3 course dinner or something like that.

If you buy something to drink at a kiosk like 7/Eleven you can expect to pay 15-20 DKK and around 40-50 DKK for the very same at a café or restaurant.

Edited by Danish viking

The exchange rate will be equally bad at the taxi if not even worse.

But you will need 150-200 DKK from the pier to the town hall square.

A nice lunch will be available for around 50-100 DKK and dinner starts from almost 100 DKK without any to drink and can end up and 2-300 DKK and even more with 3 course dinner or something like that.

If you buy something to drink at a kiosk like 7/Eleven you can expect to pay 15-20 DKK and around 40-50 DKK for the very same at a café or restaurant.

Thank you - I will get some DKKs before I leave the US - do you know if there is a port shuttle or what the best way to get to town from the port is

That depends on the terminal and date, there is 3 terminals to choose from and one of them (Freeport terminal) is not served by bus 26 in the weekends or public holidays.

If that's the case then there is a 15 minute walk to Nordhavn Station.

Langelinie pier is served by bus number 26 all days and Nordre Toldbod is served by several busses from a nearby bus stop located at the intersection between Store Kongensgade and Esplanaden.

Edited by Danish viking

I'm still trying to figure out when we are flying in and out but I did go ahead and make a reservation for the Saturday that we disembark over at the Cottage Farm. I thought it would make for a neat experience since we are city folk and all of my family with farms have since passed away.

So my question is how can we get from Cottage Farm (Airport area) to the viking ship museum in Roskilde? Also, how should we go from the port to this hotel? I can't seem to find a bus/train that goes south of the airport but maybe I am looking at a bad map of the area.

I'm still trying to figure out when we are flying in and out but I did go ahead and make a reservation for the Saturday that we disembark over at the Cottage Farm. I thought it would make for a neat experience since we are city folk and all of my family with farms have since passed away.

So my question is how can we get from Cottage Farm (Airport area) to the viking ship museum in Roskilde? Also, how should we go from the port to this hotel? I can't seem to find a bus/train that goes south of the airport but maybe I am looking at a bad map of the area.

I did a quick search at dsb.dk about your trip from Cottage Farm to Roskilde Viking ship museum.

This is what came up for this Saturday, 2013-03-01:

Dragør Rådhus

Lufthavnen, Ellehammersvej

Afg. 10:51

Ank. 11:10

Bus 35

Lufthavnen, Ellehammersvej (This is the stop at the airport)

Københavns Lufthavn, Kastrup st

Afg. 11:10

Ank. 11:15

Gå (walk)

Københavns Lufthavn, Kastrup st

Roskilde st

Afg. 11:39

Ank. 12:18

IC-tog 141

Roskilde st

Roskilde st/Ny Terminal

Afg. 12:18

Ank. 12:26

Gå (walk)

Roskilde st/Ny Terminal

Strandengen

Afg. 12:27

Ank. 12:34

Bus 203

As you can see, your closest bustop is in central Dragör. I think ít´s best for you to take a taxi from the airpor to your accomodation. Both when you arrive, and when you are leaving for Roskilde.

350S is also running to Dragør, but its better to take the bus from Store Magleby (where also Dragør Rådhus/town hall is located)

Here you take 350S to the train at Tårnby station (direction Ballerup) and then go to the central station.

From here there are 6-7 departures each hour to Roskilde, just don´t take the XX:44 departure towards Nykøbing F/Hamburg Hbf named ICE or EuroCity or the XX:50 departure towards Frederikshavn, Aalborg or Aarhus named IC Lyn.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Englandsvej+475,+Drag%C3%B8r&daddr=cottage+farm&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.59688,12.636434&sspn=0.003692,0.009645&geocode=FXVVUAMdycjAACnd08Rh_apTRjG84W_ZcUCXRw%3BFf1qUAMdmPnAACGFhgK0WPQIbimL_9zeBqtTRjGFhgK0WPQIbg&oq=englandsvej+475&t=h&gl=dk&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

Edited by Danish viking

Wow, there's a huge mine of information to be found in this thread - thanks for the postings!

I've got a couple of questions, if you don't mind ...

1) We're staying at the Bella Sky Comwell Hotel for 3 nights before the cruise. Would you know if there are any restaurants nearby?

2) My plan for getting to the terminal from the hotel is to take the metro to Norreport Station, then the S Train to Nordhavn St. Are there any problems taking luggage (a pair of large suitcases) on the metro or S Trains during weekdays?

Thanks!

Its very easy to find the S-train platform from the metro so no problems there, construction is on the surface and long distance train platform but you don't come around these places at Nørreport.

Your hotel is located outside the central part so you are better off by taking the metro to Kongens Nytorv and find a restaurant around there, either at Nyhavn or Gråbrødre Torv or Kultorvet.

Its very easy to find the S-train platform from the metro so no problems there, construction is on the surface and long distance train platform but you don't come around these places at Nørreport.

Your hotel is located outside the central part so you are better off by taking the metro to Kongens Nytorv and find a restaurant around there, either at Nyhavn or Gråbrødre Torv or Kultorvet.

Thanks Danish Viking! Your posts have been a great help!

Would much appreciate your advice please.

We’ll be doing a TA and Baltic B2B in May so will have a port day first and then disembark days later in Copenhagen (Freeport). We had been to Copenhagen before on a cruise and used the #26 bus to go into Central Copenhagen for the day – didn’t understand why but followed other passengers and managed to buy 2 single tickets from bus driver with US$. We thought there was a money exchange inside or outside the Freeport terminal but could not find it. We walked back to port at the end of the day, a very long walk and hope we won’t have to do it again this time.

When we disembark after the Baltic cruise, we hope to catch the #26 bus to Kongens Nytorv (Metro) for airport (flying out at 2pm). Would it work if we get a Zone two 10-multiride ticket for the two of us for both the port day and disembark day? Will two Zone 2 tickets = one zone 3 ticket to airport leaving us 6 tickets to use on the port day? We can then use the #26 bus to and from port and perhaps even ride the ferries? Can we get the multiride ticket from the bus driver or we’ll have to walk to Nordhavn train station to buy it? Will there be ATMs near or at the Nordhavn train station to get cash or we have to use credit card to pay for the ticket?

Many thanks.

Hi Danish Viking! Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

We arrive the day of our cruise (11:00 am) and the Vision of the Seas leaves at 5:00 pm.

Obviously this leaves us very little time in Copenhagen. I don't think we'll have time to do anything other than walk around the pier area. Do you agree?

There are 6 of us traveling. We plan on taking cabs from the airport to the ship. Do they have cabs that will take 6 people or will we need 2 cabs?

Thanks!

@ kristikae

They have big vans for 6 passengers but maybe the bags can´t fit but you will find out about that. :D

But frankly there is not much to see in the port area (unless it´s Nordre Toldbod or Langelinie), maybe you are better off making a pit stop at the central station.

You can take a train to the central station, store your luggage and walk around the pedestrian street callede Strøget.

You can then take a taxi from there.

@ itil4get09

If you are 2 persons going to the airport you stamp it 3 times to get the needed 6 zones, so you have 7 trips left to use.

One card costs 150 DKK and two 3 zone single tickets costs 72 DKK so you just have to travel 4 times more in central Copenhagen (2 zones=24 DKK) to cover the cost and then you have 3 free trips in central Copenhagen until the 10 clips are used.

But remember if it´s a weekend or public holiday you can´t use bus 26 from the freeport terminal.

Since we're on the subject, am I correct in understanding that the 26 bus runs from the central train station (or close to it) to the Freeport terminal (weekdays)? Assuming timing works out we should have time left on our Copenhagen card to pay for the bus trip to the port but if not can just give the driver cash. When we disembark, make sure we have enough Danish cash left to pay for the bus to the train station.

New subject. Restrooms. I assume we need to pay for restrooms and need exact change?

Hi Danish Viking

Do you have any idea on when the Copenhagen card will be available for purchase for a May 29th visit? I keep checking the Visit Copenhagen website and the message posted is that it will be available March/2013. Greatly appreciate all your help! :)

Dolfans from Miami

@ blonde1981

The coins are as followed

50 Øre (cent) :D

1 krone

2 krone

5 krone

10 krone

20 krone

Notes are

50 krone

100 krone

200 krone

500 krone

1000 krone.

In plural it´s kroner.

@ lost in translation

If your plan fails you just pay 24 DKK to the bus driver

Timetable from the central station, look for the C and D departures

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001152

Location of the bus stop on vesterbrogade next to the central station.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Hovedbanen.pdf

Timetable from the freeport

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002620000&stop_gid=9025200000006591

You don´t need exact change at the central station, you just buy a ticket in the machine.

@ dolfans0704

Sorry i have no info about the CPH card yet.

So which notes are the most popular to carry around. I don't want to get the 200krone if it will be a pain for people to make change. Our $100 USD bill is sort of like that where it can be difficult for small places to change out.

And gosh darn it. I was hoping it was Kroner so I could differentiate between the Danish Krone and the Swedish Krone.

Edited by blonde1981

I would say that 500 (not so often) and 1000 kroner is more likely to cause your problems.

And remember that the Danish, Swedish and Norwegian kroners are not the same and are not valued at the same either.

The Danish and Norwegian are almost at the same value, something like 97 DKK to 100 NOK.

100 SEK equals to around 80-85 DKK.

Hi Danish Viking

Do you have any idea on when the Copenhagen card will be available for purchase for a May 29th visit? I keep checking the Visit Copenhagen website and the message posted is that it will be available March/2013. Greatly appreciate all your help! :)

Dolfans from Miami

The Copenhagen card is now available to book thru Viator.

Some on our roll call have already purchased card for May.

You print voucher at home and exchange at Airport or downtown.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

The Copenhagen card is now available to book thru Viator.

Some on our roll call have already purchased card for May.

You print voucher at home and exchange at Airport or downtown.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your reply, aussie cruzer! Greatly appreciate the info! :)

Dolfans from Miami