? re White Bay

Does anyone know if the new terminal has an Observation Deck?

Definitely no observation deck. Very similar arrangement to the old Wharf 5 set up. Once people check-in they go behind the screen and through the secure area then to the escalator to the gangway.

Maybe try up in White Bay Park for some views from a distance or at East Balmain area parks for a final wave.

Definitely no observation deck. Very similar arrangement to the old Wharf 5 set up. Once people check-in they go behind the screen and through the secure area then to the escalator to the gangway.

Maybe try up in White Bay Park for some views from a distance or at East Balmain area parks for a final wave.

I was thinking of going on Friday to have a nosey at the new terminal, but wont bother as there is no observation deck! (Which is a shame as there will be a ship in on Friday) :(

Love people watching, which is why the observation deck at the OPT is so good! There'll be a ship in there on Friday too, so will get my ship and people watching fix there!! :D

Here's our story on it....

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5319

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Does anyone know when the new wharf will open? Sydney Port authority has ships leaving from there in April this year. Can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Some people might be interested in the history of White Bay. Here is a link to an entry in the Dictionary of Sydney

http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/white_bay

Thank you for that most interesting history of White Bay.

Interesting that lack of facilities for trucks was a problem way back in the first redevelopment, which contributed to the establishment of Botany Bay.

Here's our story on it....

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5319

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Thanks Carolyn for attached the News Link.

I suspect most overseas passengers will continue to use the more convenient OPT, at Circular Quay/The Rocks, with its beautiful unique close up view of the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.

White Bay will only be busy during the short Northern Winter Season.

The new terminal will actually be busier in summer than winter. Apart from P&O and Princess' year-round sailings (mostly for the local Aussie market), other cruise lines will use it all through October to April.

Ships docking at White Bay in 2013/14 will include luxury lines on their world voyages (such as Seabourn, Silversea, Regent Seven Seas) as well as Holland America, Costa, Oceania, Fred Olsen and V Ships. Welcome to Rozelle!

Thanks Carolyn for attached the News Link.

I suspect most overseas passengers will continue to use the more convenient OPT, at Circular Quay/The Rocks, with its beautiful unique close up view of the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.

White Bay will only be busy during the short Northern Winter Season.

Sorry, I meant White Bay will only be busy, for overseas passengers, during the short Northern Winter Season.

The new terminal will actually be busier in summer than winter. Apart from P&O and Princess' year-round sailings (mostly for the local Aussie market), other cruise lines will use it all through October to April.

Ships docking at White Bay in 2013/14 will include luxury lines on their world voyages (such as Seabourn, Silversea, Regent Seven Seas) as well as Holland America, Costa, Oceania, Fred Olsen and V Ships. Welcome to Rozelle!

Do not bet money on shis the luxury lines docking at white bay. They are full of rich people and the ships can afford to "bribe" the government for a premium dock at circular quay with the impressive views.

I got suspicious of this a few years ago. It was the same year Aurora broke down in Auckland. The Crystal Serenity was in Sydney and it docked at Circular Quay. There were vacant spots at Darling Harbour and Crystal Serenity can fit under the harbour bridge. On the same day Celebrity Millennium was forced to anchor in Sydney harbour and Aurora was forced to anchor as well and was only allowed to dock once Crystal Serenity had left.

Do not bet money on shis the luxury lines docking at white bay. They are full of rich people and the ships can afford to "bribe" the government for a premium dock at circular quay with the impressive views.

I got suspicious of this a few years ago. It was the same year Aurora broke down in Auckland. The Crystal Serenity was in Sydney and it docked at Circular Quay. There were vacant spots at Darling Harbour and Crystal Serenity can fit under the harbour bridge. On the same day Celebrity Millennium was forced to anchor in Sydney harbour and Aurora was forced to anchor as well and was only allowed to dock once Crystal Serenity had left.

I thought it would be the case of whoever books the OPT first gets the booking, irrespective of the size of the ship.

I seem to recall reading on cc that Crystal has already booked the OPT for its 2015 World Cruise.

I think you are imagining "Reds Under the Bed" my friend.....

bookings are made many , many years in advance , and require a substantial , non refundable deposit to hold them.

Thats why cruise lines detest missing a port, as they lose their deposit.

First in best dressed. If you check the future bookings for the Ports of Sydney, and many other ports cruise schedule , it is quite common for a booking to be made by a cruise line and then the name of the ship is... "To Be Advised".

But that is where the problem lies and you are missing the big clues!

I know ships book early, they always do. Further investigation will be needed to find out which ships and lines booked first.

The big clue and question is. If Sydney does not have the docks east of the harbour bridge, then why on earth do they accept bookins for up to three cruise ships on the same day that they know full well will not fit under the harbour bridge???

$$$$$ is the only reason.

I know ships book early, they always do. Further investigation will be needed to find out which ships and lines booked first.

The big clue and question is. If Sydney does not have the docks east of the harbour bridge, then why on earth do they accept bookins for up to three cruise ships on the same day that they know full well will not fit under the harbour bridge???

Nope. When the booking is taken, it is also for a berth. It is not just "Sydney."

The issue with Millenium you referred to was when they stuffed up and booked too late. They had a number of issues that season... and since then have made sure their ship is in order! :p

Don,t know so much about it being about the money. Sydney Ports only gets about $250 an hour per ship and lost about $9 million this year That is of course before the new fee structure kick in which is about a 4500 percent increase and based on number of pax and not just per ship)

Here are some pics of the new terminal taken this morning. The debarking seemed to be going fairly well. Plenty of room for big buses but not enough for the minibuses and limo's. Taxis were in abundance and are on the other side of the terminal as you look at the photo.

No parking for cars, just drop and go. The cars you see are for staff. Some people even walked from the Roberts Rd gates almost a mile from the ship.

Entrance into terminal. Bag drop is outside to the right out of frame.

CruiseTerminal_zps38a3656f.jpg

Coachandminibus_zps5c559984.jpg

The gangway leads to the upper deck of the terminal then you go down the escalator/lifts to the checkout areas.

CoachPickup_zpse0be0311.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quick question...

I plan on stalking the sea princess before she leaves on this years world cruise... plus an excuse to sus out white bay.... for those who have been before me... is there public parking inside the gates...

joanne

quick question...

I plan on stalking the sea princess before she leaves on this years world cruise... plus an excuse to sus out white bay.... for those who have been before me... is there public parking inside the gates...

joanne

When we went to sticky beak,we just drove straight in and parked there.The people giving directions just pointed us in the right direction.

Archived