New Wine & Dine package online

Daghis

In addition to the Premium Beverage Package that you can now pre-purchase online, they've updated the wine package to an updated Wine & Dine Package. It looks as though the list of wines has changed somewhat and now includes:

• Sparkling Wines
    • Caposaldo, Prosecco, Brut (Veneto, Italy)
    • Domaine Ste. Michelle, Brut (Washington)

[*]White Wines

• Moscato, Castello del Poggio (Pavia, Italy)
    • Pinot Grigio, Attems (Venezia Giulia, Italy)
    • Sauvignon Blanc, Kim Crawford (Marlborough, New Zealand)
    • Sauvignon Blanc, Caliterra (Central Valley, Chile)
    • Chardonnay, Penfolds, "Koonunga Hill" (Australia)
    • Chardonnay, Glen Carlou (Paarl, South Africa)
    • Chardonnay, Aussières Blanc by Barons de Rothschild - Lafite (Languedoc, France) (on old package)
    • Chardonnay, Mer Soleil, Santa Lucia Highlands (California, United States)
    • White Zinfandel, Beringer (California) (on old package)

[*]Red Wines

• Pinot Noir, Spy Valley (Marlborough, New Zealand)
    • Merlot, Charles Krug (Napa, California)
    • Carmenère, Arboleda (Colchagua, Chile)
    • Tempranillo, Torres, Ribera del Duero, "Celeste" (Crianza, Spain)
    • Malbec, Familia Rutini, "Trumpeter" (Mendoza, Argentina) (on old package)
    • Shiraz, Peter Lehmann, "Weighbridge" (South Australia) (on old package)
    • Sangiovese, Marchesi de' Frescobaldi, Chianti Rufina, "Castello di Nipozzano" (Riserva, Italy)
    • Cabernet Sauvignon, Penley Estate, "Phoenix" (Coonawarra, Australia)
    • Cabernet Sauvignon, Robert Mondavi Winery (Napa, California, United States) (maybe on old package - not listed as "Solaire" as it had been)
    • Cabernet Sauvignon, Aussières Rouge by Barons de Rothschild - Lafite (Languedoc, France) (on old package)

Comparing this to the previous Platinum package which it seems to replace, it seems that there are lots of changes with only a few wines remaining from the old Platinum package. Pricing is, however, the same as the Platinum package had been.

Royal Caribbean had previously told people that those of us who had ordered a package before this new one rolled out would be grandfathered in, but I have to wonder whether they're discontinuing carrying the wines that are absent from this list.

Edited by Daghis

Thanks for posting this info.

Do you know if the Robert Mondavi Cabernet you have listed has "Solaire" as part of the name? They normally have both the Solaire and the non-Solaire on the wine list, and there's a big difference in quality and price.

Good catch! The updated PDF doesn't say "Solaire". I assumed it was merely omitted, but if there's a difference, then it's worth noting it might not be the same Cabernet Sauvignon. I've updated the OP to reflect that potential difference.

I'll admit that I'm mixed about this update since my particular favorite wine, the Aussières Blanc Chardonnay is here, but my traveling companion's favorite, the Danzante Pinot Grigio isn't. I guess we'll have to explore the new wines and see how they are.

Good catch! The updated PDF doesn't say "Solaire". I assumed it was merely omitted, but if there's a difference, then it's worth noting it might not be the same Cabernet Sauvignon. I've updated the OP to reflect that potential difference.

I'll admit that I'm mixed about this update since my particular favorite wine, the Aussières Blanc Chardonnay is here, but my traveling companion's favorite, the Danzante Pinot Grigio isn't. I guess we'll have to explore the new wines and see how they are.

I didn't check all the other wines, I just noticed the Mondavi because that's one that we enjoy. I'd be really surprised if the Mondavi Cab in the package was not the Solaire, because the higher end Mondavi is $58 before tips.

We've been put off on the package since they changed it a few years ago and found that some bottles individual price was less than average price per bottle in the package.

Edited by clarea

This looks like a more limited but better package. We usually ordered the Diamond because we liked certain wines in that package. Looks like they are in this one. That is certainly good for us. Also 2 sparkling wines (both brut) is a nice change. We tried the sparkling Rose last cruise...not a fan. But for us it is actually a cheaper package and includes our favorite wines. Usually doesn't work out that way.

For completeness to the list, here are the wines that were previously part of the Platinum package that are no longer listed in the new package.

• Sparkling
    • Korbel Brut (Caliornia, USA)

[*]White Wines

• Riesling, Chateau St. Michelle (Columbia Valley, Washington)
    • Pinot Grigio, Danzante, Venezie (Veneto, Italy)
    • Sauvignon Blanc, Caliterra (Central Chile)
    • Sauvignon Blanc, Dashwood (Marlborough, New Zealand)
    • Chardonnay, Castle Rock (Central Coast, California)
    • Chardonnay, Kendall-Jackson, "Vintner's Reserve" (California)

[*]Red Wines

• Pinot Noir, Estancia, "Pinnacles Ranches" (Monterey, California
    • Merlot, Caliterra (Rapel, Chile)
    • Cabernet Sauvignon, Castle Rock (Paso Robles, California)
    • Cabernet Sauvignon, Kendall-Jackson, "Vintner's Reserve" (California)
    • Zinfandel, Cline (CA)
    • Zinfandel, Ravenswood, "Old Vine" (Sonoma, California)

For completeness to the list, here are the wines that were previously part of the Platinum package that are no longer listed in the new package.

• Sparkling

[*]White Wines

[*]Red Wines

• Zinfandel, Cline (CA)

Wow, no Zins in the new package. The Cline was a good, dependable Zin. Too bad.

Proseco is my favorite type of sparkling, but disappointed there are no Zins in the new package.

Hmm. Think we'll see how it goes carrying on our Trader Joe's wine and favorite proseco, and then buying wines by the glass for this upcoming cruise.

At first blush I guess I would have to say that I am underwhelmed:(. I too am a fan on the Cline Zin.... usually enjoyed a couple of jugs of that in the course of the cruise. I guess there is always La Terre:D!

It lists a Zinfandel, Cline? or is that not what you mean by Cline?

I just looked at the beverage packages section of my reservation on the RCI website. This Wine & Dine package looks like the only option (there used to be Gold, Platinum and Diamond packages). Is this new package substituting for all three levels?

I bought the platinum wine package for our upcoming cruise based SOLELY on the availability of a Riesling. They've dropped the Chateau St Michelle Riesling! I like a light sweet wine (Gwurtztraminer, Riesling) and find moscato a bit too sweet. I don't see a wine varietal on this list I like :mad:. I'm ticked...actually beyond ticked as I truly wanted to enjoy a bottle of wine each night at dinner :mad:. Anyone have a suggestion off the list that I might like? Something that would be a close second to my now missing Cht. St. Michele?

Edited by Kenlorz

We bought the platinum package, I think, for our upcoming cruise. I am a zin drinker so now that we can bring 2 bottles per cabin looks like I'll be bringing some zin.

Before you go...try Beringer White Merlot. I like Zin so I know you would love this also. Dont let the "merlot" wording throw you off. It is not dry at all. It is yummy. :)

http://www.madeinsonoma.com/2012/07/wine-of-week-beringer-white-merlot.html

Edited by janetz

• Sparkling

[*]White Wines

[*]Red Wines

• Zinfandel, Cline (CA)

many thanks for posting the info but I am very disappointed having purchased the Platinum package (as we always do) only 7 days ago for our upcoming Allure sailing to find in addition to those you mention, that our wine of choice Chardonnay, Solaire by Robert Mondavi (California) no longer appears to be offered. Very, very disappointed to the extent I may have to cancel my order.

I admit I was very disgruntled over the fact that my wine choice is no longer available and I purchased the package solely on its availability, so I called RCCL and after being on hold forever while supervisors were spoken to, I was informed that if you purchased the package before it changed, they WILL honor a wine selection off of the old list. I asked for confirmation in writing and was told I wouldn't need any because they would honor our choice. I told her that although I believed her, my server at any given venue might not be so inclined to agree. She wouldn't send me anything in writing since I booked through a TA and said my TA would have to call to get it on writing. So, on the phone I went again to speak with my TA who agrees that it needs to be in writing. In her words, "It's necessary, after all in God I trust... but with everyone else I want proof in writing." :D She hopes to have an email to me on Monday... I will post a copy once I get it.

I just looked for our upcoming cruise on Vision in March and it says Platinum Package but......the selections are the ones on the "old" list. :confused:

I missed that when I looked at my reservation. It shows that I've purchased "New! Wine and Dine Platinum 7 Bottle". It's confusing that it says both "New!" and references the "Platinum" package.

I have pretty much no idea what to expect will be available to me in the package when I sail in March.