HAL Beverage Options

MAPCruises

So let me start by saying that this is our fist cruise. We were originally going to do Royal Carribean, and I had did a bit of research on the options, but can not seem to find the same info on HAL cruises.

What options does HAL offer and from others experience what is the way to go?

Main areas of interest:

Juice - both my husband and I like fresh OJ in the morning, is this offered in general dining or is it extra?

Coffee, I like good coffee, not some syrup reconstituted beverage. Is good coffee included in base?

And of course alcoholic beverages - neither my husband nor I are huge drinkers, but if we are sitting by the pool on a warm day - I can easily see us swinging back several mixed drinks or beers. and wine with dinner.

Our current plan is to stop by a grocery in Ft.L to get some Coke,Ginger Ale, Water, and Wine to take onboard. Hubby also likes Beam and Coke so was thinking to buy a bottle on board.

But is an all inclusive drink option available and how much - I can not find it on HAL's site. and most importantly is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hal does not have drink packages like RCCL has, they allow you to bring soda/water.wine on board, but not hard stuff like Jim Beam, they do sell bottles on board and I am sure someone will supply list. You can try to sneak the Beam on board ( have about a 98 percent chance of not being caught). We like the coffee on Hal, no problem with fresh OJ.

You can buy wine packages but will save money if you just bring your own and pay the 18 dollar corkage ( for drinking in dinning room or any public area). "Total wine " is a great wine store in FLL , perfect place to buy your wine for the cruise ( we will get a least a case for next cruise)

So let me start by saying that this is our fist cruise. We were originally going to do Royal Carribean' date=' and I had did a bit of research on the options, but can not seem to find the same info on HAL cruises.

What options does HAL offer and from others experience what is the way to go?

Main areas of interest:

Juice - both my husband and I like fresh OJ in the morning, is this offered in general dining or is it extra?

Coffee, I like good coffee, not some syrup reconstituted beverage. Is good coffee included in base?

And of course alcoholic beverages - neither my husband nor I are huge drinkers, but if we are sitting by the pool on a warm day - I can easily see us swinging back several mixed drinks or beers. and wine with dinner.

Our current plan is to stop by a grocery in Ft.L to get some Coke,Ginger Ale, Water, and Wine to take onboard. Hubby also likes Beam and Coke so was thinking to buy a bottle on board.

But is an all inclusive drink option available and how much - I can not find it on HAL's site. and most importantly is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

there is fresh squeezed oj on HAL:D:D:D one of the reasons we like her:)

Beverage package = you can get a beverage card but other than the soda card - there is no discount.

the soda card is literally half price.

hope this helps a bit:)

As far as cocktails by the pool -my experience on my (only) 2 HAL cruises is that the bar waiters have great memories. Once they realize you like to have a cocktail they will approach and ask if you would like to place an order soon after you enter their area. I don't mean to imply they are pushy in any way. Just attentive. I love HAL's bartenders and waiters.

Absolutely no reason to bring more than one refillable bottle of water on per person. The water on board is about as pure, and great tasting as you will find anywhere.

Probably better than the tap water at home.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Even though there isn't any discount on the Beverage Cards, we still like to buy them as it means less receipts for me to keep track of. The price of your drinks as well as the 15% gratuity is taken off the card - you do get a receipt. But as soon as I get a new one -- I throw out the old one. And the final bill won't be "miles" long.

thanks to all for the responses... I was kind of looking foward to an unlimited beverage ticket. Not that I am a lush - but I had seen where a lot of posters said it ws a great way to try different drinks and not worry about spending $10 bucks each.

Great news on the water! - we drink tons of water and was wondering how I was going to lug a case or 2 onboard. Guess I can cross that off my list and concentrate on soda and wine!!

Has anyone else went out of Ft Lauderdale - Our plane lands at 2:00 and we have to board by 3:30 - Will we have time to stop by the Publix at the Harbor and get wine and soda? Is Total Wine near the Harbor?

thanks to all for the responses... I was kind of looking foward to an unlimited beverage ticket. Not that I am a lush - but I had seen where a lot of posters said it ws a great way to try different drinks and not worry about spending $10 bucks each.

Great news on the water! - we drink tons of water and was wondering how I was going to lug a case or 2 onboard. Guess I can cross that off my list and concentrate on soda and wine!!

Has anyone else went out of Ft Lauderdale - Our plane lands at 2:00 and we have to board by 3:30 - Will we have time to stop by the Publix at the Harbor and get wine and soda? Is Total Wine near the Harbor?

Not a chance. By the time you get your luggage, you will have just enough time to get a cab and get to the port. Most people would not even consider a 2:00 arrival flight the day of the cruise.

Ouch! No offense but I think you'll barely make it to the ship on time to board. I really hope you don't have any plane delays. That's cutting it way too close:eek:.

I did call the airline and it is a direct flight that in the last 6 mos has only been late 1 time for weather. I called the airport and they said typical baggage claim was 30 - 40 minutes and I should have no problem finding a cab out front. Port is 10 minutes from the airport. I called HAL and they said check in would be quick.. as long as we were there by +/- 3:20 we whould be fine. ALthough Still fingers crossed. Has anyone else went from the FLL airport to the Port and how long did it take?

I'll say that I personally am not a big fan of the coffee on HAL. It's drinkable, but not my favorite. If you dont like the coffee, you can get lattes and espresso drinks for a small fee.

I'd second the comments, that arriving into FLL at 2pm on the day when you're sailing is cutting it way too close, especially since you are flying across country. I'd strongly encourage you to think about catching the redeye. The ship will not wait for you, and if you end up getting in a little late will sail without you.

I don't know when your cruise is or where you are flying from, but it's a bit of a risk to have a same day flight when hotel rooms in Ft. L are fairly cheap.

It is more than a bit bit of a risk. OP, not many people will have the experience you are asking about, because very few cut it so tight.

I did call the airline and it is a direct flight that in the last 6 mos has only been late 1 time for weather. I called the airport and they said typical baggage claim was 30 - 40 minutes and I should have no problem finding a cab out front. Port is 10 minutes from the airport. I called HAL and they said check in would be quick.. as long as we were there by +/- 3:20 we whould be fine. ALthough Still fingers crossed. Has anyone else went from the FLL airport to the Port and how long did it take?

It is quite close to the airport. Not trying to be a downer but the plane could have mechanical problems or really anything can happen. What if your luggage gets lost? I've had problem when flying in the day before. I'm surprised any airline can make that claim.

... Our plane lands at 2:00 and we have to board by 3:30 - Will we have time to stop by the Publix at the Harbor and get wine and soda? Is Total Wine near the Harbor?

Total Wine is near the Harbor, but ... to pile on with what others have posted, if your flight is that close, grab your bags, grab a cab and get to the ship, NOW!

You _may_ have time, if everything is perfect, to hit Total Wine. But, I wouldn't. You can order a bottle of Jim Beam to be in your cabin at not too much a mark-up, and yes, wine is cheaper if you bring aboard, but not worth missing the cruise sailing! If you are a wine drinker, you can hit the first port or two -- probably not as cheap as Total Wine, but cheaper than flying to Grand Turk or whatever to catch up with the ship.

After a harrowing time in Atlanta Hartsfield years ago waiting for our (delayed) flight, we started arriving at least the day before in the US, and two days before in Europe, for that very reason.

Dave

Boy I hope this comment is not considered "piling on", But......landing on the day of the cruise at 2:00pm is not something I would do. We are flying into FL 2 days ahead of our cruise in Feb. I have nighmares of missing the ship....:eek:

Besides plane trouble, you could have unexpected traffic delays on the way to the port. I would never chance it. Can you change your flight to the day before?

Another thing to consider -- When I returned to Fort Lauderdale in early December there was massive construction going on. This made the ride between the cruise port and airport longer. The construction may still be going on.

Welcome to cruising and to cruise critic!

On Holland you can pre purchase liquor online for in room consumption. A bottle of Jim beam is $35.65. Go to your reservation online and it is in the section where you can pre-book tours, spa, and other. The alcohol is found in the "indulgences" section labeled "beverages." They also have some good wine packages too.

Is there is any way you can switch to earlier flight or even better, the day before? If not, best wishes on everything working out. Outside baggage claim area, the taxis are to the far left. I also suggest standing right where the luggage first comes out and be ready to go.

coka

There is a huge road construction project going on right now between the airport and the cruise port. When we were there in December, the main port entrance was closed and several temporary entries were being used, resulting in delays. Traffic around the construction was horrendous. Landing at 2:00 for a 3:30 cruise departure is really taking a risk, if you ask me.

Archived