Alternate ports for Port Said/Alexandria?

Sopwith

We're booked on Pacific Princess in June with calls at Haifa, Ashdod, Port Said and Alexandria. Given the current situation and volatility in Egypt we will need to decide soon whether to carry on and chance a diversion, or cancel and book something else. This would probably involve another cruise line, since we're locked into air reservations, and Princess doesn't have anything else that works with our dates.

Any recent experience on alternate ports if it becomes necessary to divert from the two Egyptian ports? I know it's a bit early for this type of speculation, but our main reason for booking this itinerary was for the four mentioned ports. If there is a significant chance of diversion, we may well rebook and try Egypt and Israel later when (if) things cool down.

Two years ago when the Eqyptian revolution started in January, we were booked on a Princess cruise in May that had two days scheduled in Alexandria.

When things had not settled down in a month, Princess changed the itinerary to instead spend a day in Livorno, a day in Malta, and an extra day in Istanbul. Of course a number of people cancelled the cruise as Egypt was to be the highlight.

We kept our reservation for two reasons, first that the alternative itinerary was a good one for us and second because we had hope that the situation would calm down and the original itinerary could be followed.

About a month before the cruise things had calmed down and the original itinerary was restored. The only unhappy people were those who had booked the new itinerary and really wanted that itinerary, not the one with Alexandria.

We we did the cruise, there was no problem at all and we felt perfectly safe while in Eqypt. We did a two day overnight tour to Cairo with a great tour company.

So, no matter what the major problems are in Egypt this week, they may all be gone by the time your cruise is scheduled to go there. It is too early, in my opinion, for Princess to revise your itinerary, but that could happen.

. . . So, no matter what the major problems are in Egypt this week, they may all be gone by the time your cruise is scheduled to go there. It is too early, in my opinion, for Princess to revise your itinerary, but that could happen.

I agree. We had a similar experience in that things settled down by the time we arrived.

Woody

not us, but friends we know were on a cruise ending in Cairo during some of the troubles there. They were taken to the airport and then herded into the airport. There were evidently thousands of foreigners huddled there waiting for flights out. I would find that all more than I would want to deal with on a vacation cruise/SIZE]

In case you do get to Egypt, please note that all tours from the ship to Cairo have their buses grouped in a convoy which includes armed guards/soldiers. This is standard procedure, even in less trying times.

There was no such convoy in May of 2011. These had stopped after the January revolution.

I have no idea if they have been reinstated.

I hope our Egypt stops go ahead. We are spending a week in Istanbul and Santorini pre cruise so not thinking of revisiting again so quickly. Malta - not interested either. And last year we visited Livorno. This is an Eastern Med cruise so I'd be happy with more time in Croatia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no such convoy in May of 2011. These had stopped after the January revolution.

I have no idea if they have been reinstated.

Convoys were back as of Oct./Nov. of 2012. We heard other pax talking of armed guards on some of the buses but we did not see them ourselves.

We were on the same cruise caribill described and I did not see armed guards but someone said an armed guard was on one of the buses. We were on a private tour just the 2 of us but other cruise passengers were in our hotel which was comforting.

The ship was only two thirds full due to the uncertainties but we never had thoughts of canceling. World events are beyond your control, just go with the flow.

If they wait until close to sailing before cancelling, they have to find ports that have space and fit (e.g., reasonable sailing distances) within the overall itinerary.

This is an Eastern Med cruise so I'd be happy with more time in Croatia.

I've been on 5 Eastern Med cruises and have yet to stop in Croatia. (But this year will be the year -- 3 Croatian ports on my April cruise! :))

It's just not convenient unless you're going into/out of Venice.

If they wait until close to sailing before cancelling, they have to find ports that have space and fit (e.g., reasonable sailing distances) within the overall itinerary.

I've been on 5 Eastern Med cruises and have yet to stop in Croatia. (But this year will be the year -- 3 Croatian ports on my April cruise! :))

It's just not convenient unless you're going into/out of Venice.

We have just over half a day in Dubrovnik which isn't long enough. So I'd love more time. Naples we did last year so while the Amalfi coast is beautiful its too soon to revisit. Cyprus, poor second cousin to Egypt.

We have just over half a day in Dubrovnik which isn't long enough. So I'd love more time. Naples we did last year so while the Amalfi coast is beautiful its too soon to revisit. Cyprus, poor second cousin to Egypt.

I know you're probably half joking/half venting right now, but you've certainly got a long list of places you don't want to be diverted to!

I honestly think anyone booking a cruise that is scheduled to call in Egypt (and to a lesser extent Israel) right now has got to be flexible. It may or may not happen, and you'll have no say in where the ship ends up if they do have to scrap those ports.

I agree Cyprus isn't the most exciting place, but I've been there twice and have found two days' worth of pretty interesting things to do that fit with my interests -- the mosaics at Paphos are something I'd do if I get there again.

Naples -- well, I'd been there twice on cruises, then spent an entire week in Sorrento in April, but still managed to find something new, different, and very fulfilling when the cruise I was on started from Naples in October.

It's just all in how you approach it.

P.S. A couple of months ago I took a chance and booked a cruise that is scheduled to call in Libya next year, realizing there was a good likelihood of not stopping there. Since then, the warnings about travel to Libya are if anything stronger, so I decided to scrap it, since much of the rest of the cruise would be not just a repeat but a three-peat. However, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat if I could be sure I'd be able to visit Libya.

I took the pacific princess holy land cruise in july 2011. We were able to see all ports as scheduled. In both Egyptian ports, we travelled in a convoy and there was an armed guard on every bus (with more armed guards surrounding our convoy) - at one point our bus broke down and we had to transfer onto another bus... we were surrounded by armed guards as we switched over. Princess did a great job in arranging the tours - we felt very safe and the Egyptians were very friendly! If you have questions about the cruise, feel free to msg me.

Tourism is a huge business in Egypt. Everybody on all sides of the conflict there realize this.

Just pure half witted speculation on my part, but I would expect that the only part of the Cairo visit that you might not get to see would be the Cairo Museum, as it's pretty much in the epicenter of all the protests.

Tourism is a huge business in Egypt. Everybody on all sides of the conflict there realize this.

Just pure half witted speculation on my part, but I would expect that the only part of the Cairo visit that you might not get to see would be the Cairo Museum, as it's pretty much in the epicenter of all the protests.

When we had our private tour in May, 2011, our guide went there first because "there are no riots going on now" and she wanted to be sure we were able to see the museum.

The Princess tours went there in the afternoon and also had no problem.

Below picture was taken just outside the museum entrance.

100_2378052111NDPPartybuildingburnedinJanrevolution_zpsd8cd7434.jpg

When we had our private tour in May, 2011, our guide went there first because "there are no riots going on now" and she wanted to be sure we were able to see the museum.

The Princess tours went there in the afternoon and also had no problem.

Below picture was taken just outside the museum entrance.

100_2378052111NDPPartybuildingburnedinJanrevolution_zpsd8cd7434.jpg

Wow. We visited in December 2010, which was about a month prior to the riots. I remember that building. It's a hotel, isn't it? Well, it WAS a hotel. Not much of a hotel anymore. I remember that whole area. Such a shame. It's not like Egypt is all that well-kept to begin with. I can't imagine what it's like now. Not a trash can in the entire country as far as I could tell. But I digress.

Wow. We visited in December 2010, which was about a month prior to the riots. I remember that building. It's a hotel, isn't it? Well, it WAS a hotel. Not much of a hotel anymore. I remember that whole area. Such a shame. It's not like Egypt is all that well-kept to begin with. I can't imagine what it's like now. Not a trash can in the entire country as far as I could tell. But I digress.

It was the National Democratic Party building (e.g., the ruling party up until the revolution). I believe the hotel you're thinking of is 90 degrees to the left.

I know you're probably half joking/half venting right now, but you've certainly got a long list of places you don't want to be diverted to!

Yes. A little. You are right. We booked last year when everything had settled (comparatively) and cruises were going to Egypt. It's just that every port kinda pales in comparison to Egypt and its been on my bucket list forever. And there are so many places to see I guess I don't want to revisit just yet until I've ticked a few more off.

Plus, my husband isn't exactly a cruise person. It's all bout the ports. One or two sea days is on but after that he gets restless. I guess I bribed him with Egypt as I love cruising.

Friends of ours did this tour around 2.5 years ago. Syria was on the port call but was scheduled about a month in from the start of the current uprising. In hindsight the right call as its still happening, and badly.

Yes. A little. You are right. We booked last year when everything had settled (comparatively) and cruises were going to Egypt. It's just that every port kinda pales in comparison to Egypt and its been on my bucket list forever. And there are so many places to see I guess I don't want to revisit just yet until I've ticked a few more off.

Plus, my husband isn't exactly a cruise person. It's all bout the ports. One or two sea days is on but after that he gets restless. I guess I bribed him with Egypt as I love cruising.

Friends of ours did this tour around 2.5 years ago. Syria was on the port call but was scheduled about a month in from the start of the current uprising. In hindsight the right call as its still happening, and badly.

I hear you. I went to Syria in 2010 with Voyages to Antiquity. (And Lebanon.) So glad that I did. Only thing I kick myself about is passing up a second cruise with them that year -- to Libya. I thought I'd wait a year. :(

I hear you. I went to Syria in 2010 with Voyages to Antiquity. (And Lebanon.) So glad that I did. Only thing I kick myself about is passing up a second cruise with them that year -- to Libya. I thought I'd wait a year. :(

Same. So glad I got to spend two weeks land touring through Syria in 2005. A lot of what I saw has been destroyed now. Sometimes, when an opportunity presents itself you have to seize it. Especially with Middle Eastern countries as things can change quickly.

Archived