Are we being snobs?? :)

Jamrenjer

First of all, we are very thrifty (our kids say 'cheap'!:)), we do alot to save money to go on a cruise-- and to save money while we are on the cruise....but we have never seen this before: While eating in the MDR of a Princess ship, at the table near us-- the lady pulled from her purse MIO drops to flavor her water! It was bright red-- and she did not offer to any of the others sitting at their table. I just thought it was kind of tacky... to each their own, I guess... I can see at the buffet or in their room-- or in their own cups by the pool-- but to bring to dinner... even on formal night... the waitress, I believe from Slovenia or the Ukraine- asked her what it was-- as she had never seen anything like that... am I being a cruise snob? :)

Edited by Jamrenjer

I don't know why you would care. This does not seem very offensive to me.

Perhaps she was on a low calorie, low carb diet and that's what she could drink. Why would you expect her to "share" this? When someone orders a bottle of wine at dinner that they pay for, would you expect them to share it with everyone at the table?

My DH can not have anything with Caffeine. He does enjoy a little flavor in his water and we carry Mio with us to restaurants. Caffeine free calorie free drinks are not always available and when they are they are often not very good. So... I agree that it is not something that I would offer to share with others at the table. We have never had anyone offer to share their wine either.

Thanks for your replies... I really wasn't emphasizing the sharing... that is neither here nor there... just thought it was a bit tacky-- to pull it out at dinner in the MDR... but maybe I am being snobbish! :) As stated, I can see at the buffet etc.--- but I also don't like seeing t-shirts and jeans at dinner in the MDR either.. lol! To each their own! :D

Just curious, and not offended or anything but are you saying that using the MIO is cheap? DH also doesn't use salt and we have brought salt sub with us before. Would it be better to ask the waiter to add the flavoring away from the table if it is offensive? It is not something the cruise line offers, so it is not a matter of trying to save money.( Unlike bringing your own wine or liquor on board)

There are some things that I think should not be done at the MDR table but other people think otherwise, so I don't think your'e being a snob, but just not understanding what and why people might do this. :)

Thanks for your replies... I really wasn't emphasizing the sharing... that is neither here nor there... just thought it was a bit tacky-- to pull it out at dinner in the MDR... but maybe I am being snobbish! :) As stated, I can see at the buffet etc.--- but I also don't like seeing t-shirts and jeans at dinner in the MDR either.. lol! To each their own! :D

I don't get the correlation of Mio and jeans/t-shirts. :confused:

I don't think mio is tacky, I don't think nice jeans are tacky. I love sitting with interesting people and making new friends. I really don't even notice what they're wearing unless it's formal night! Even then, I only notice what they're wearing above the table! :) You're right... To each their own.

Will try to reply to questions: Nope-- don't think Mio is cheap... it costs more than the dollar store drink mixes I use for my water bottles!:) I was in a hurry in my original post, but should have included how she went on loud enough for us to hear a couple tables away that the drinks on the ship were just too expensive etc. Never heard it was a health or allergy issue... but I certainly could be wrong and just being too judgmental. re: jeans and t-shirts-- only was saying that it was a personal preference...not directly related to putting mio in water on formal night! lol :D Thanks again.... I think we can close this one off now!

I've seen people do this all over - airports, work, social gatherings. It doesn't bother me a bit, I certainly don't expect them to share with everyone. It's like bringing Splenda with you for your iced tea, or even chewing gum. Most people don't offer strangers sitting nearby either of these things.

But then....maybe that's just me :D

Find it strange that this concerned you at all. I had never heard of Mio until two months ago when my husband was diagnosed with Diabetes. He LOVES his soda and absolutely does not like to drink water.

The doctor recommended Mio and now he uses it all of the time. It is great because they are small, convenient (and not cheap either!) so he can switch out his flavor from one glass to the next (as opposed to buying a 2 ltr drink and having to finish before opening another.)

Not sure why it offended you, it is just a way for someone to flavor their water - especially if they don't like the water on the ship or if they have a medical condition like my husband.

The container is only two inches tall and cute and not very noticeable. No different than someone pulling out their splenda or sweetner.

We will be taking Mio (five or six flavors) on our next cruise and I certainly won't be worrying about "how it looks" - I'm just happy my husband is drinking water!

Debinnova

You know whats even more tacky? You having any concern that someone added flavoring to their drink... I have have no idea why would you even take the time to write about it.

You know whats even more tacky? You having any concern that someone added flavoring to their drink... I have have no idea why would you even take the time to write about it.

Way snarky but spot on! Does the OP think that bringing a bottle of wine to the MDR to be tacky also?:rolleyes:

I actually had to look up MIO on the Internet before I found out it was a flavoring for water. And only through the process of elimination because my first results for MIO was a provider for GPS for cars, a prepaid card to handle money, translated to 'my' or 'mine' in Italian or Spanish and a few other thing.

I actually had to look up MIO on the Internet before I found out it was a flavoring for water. And only through the process of elimination because my first results for MIO was a provider for GPS for cars, a prepaid card to handle money, translated to 'my' or 'mine' in Italian or Spanish and a few other thing.

Thanks for the post.

Cos I'm with you & the waitress - never heard of the stuff.;)

JB :)

We just got off the independence of the seas and I did purchase a beverage package. I do not drink caffeinated beverages and am diabetic - so diet is the choice. I was told I could get sprite zero - well it was very difficult - 3 of the 6 days I was not able to - they were out of it. It is only in the cans and they pour it in a cup for you. I did have some of my raspberry lemonade crystal light packets and at dinner if they could not get a sprite zero (I did not mind) I did then add my packet to my water. I do enjoy water but at dinner I like a little flavoring. I do not think it is being cheap or tacky. I wanted to enjoy my meal and the beverage package I did pay for was not always available with a beverage I could enjoy.

F the lady pulled from her purse MIO drops to flavor her water! It was bright red-- and she did not offer to any of the others sitting at their table. I just thought it was kind of tacky... to each their own, I guess... I can see at the buffet or in their room-- or in their own cups by the pool-- but to bring to dinner... even on formal night...

I find NOTHING wrong with that at all. not everyone likes plain water, some need the extra electrolytes and not everyone drinks iced tea or lemonade.

wouldn't bother me at all nor would I consider it tacky no matter where I observed it.

I don't think it's tacky at all. Tacky is going to a restaurant and ordering ice water, then asking for a bowl of lemon wedges to make your own lemonade--particularly when they have lemonade on the menu.

I see adding the Mio about the same as bringing your own sugar or salt substitute. If the cruise line offered Mio flavored water then it would be tacky. They don't, so it's not.

I bring my own favorite tea bags to the MDR and ask fora tea cup of hot water after the meal so I can make my own special tea. I have discovered that while the waiters have a variety of tea offerings they usually don't have my preferred kind...sometimes they do.

Would some folks think I am being tacky or silly to use my own tea bags?