Buying Carnival shares and getting onboard credit

lets_go

I got this e-mail yesterday from Princess about my Oct. cruise on the Royal. If you are buying CCL stock for the OBC, nothing is guaranteed.

Good Day,

The benefit is applicable for sailings through July 31,2013. After that time the program will be under review. Please resubmit your request for shareholder benefits after a decission is reached. The decision will be published on Carnivals web site. Carnival.com.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises, Booking Support

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

1 800-PRINCESS

Shareholder Fax: (661) 753-0180

Methinks you sent your request in wayyy too early. Try again within 75 days of your sail date.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

If you bought 100 shares yesterday, you are up $92.00 today !!!

Yup I have a feeling tuesday-wednesday were the bottom.

Im so glad this thread came up - this Sunday is two weeks before the cruise (ie, the deadline). Ill be submitting the proof tomorrow!

I got this e-mail yesterday from Princess about my Oct. cruise on the Royal. If you are buying CCL stock for the OBC, nothing is guaranteed.

The benefit is applicable for sailings through July 31,2013. After that time the program will be under review. Please resubmit your request for shareholder benefits after a decission is reached. The decision will be published on Carnivals web site. Carnival.com.

The annual announcement of the extension of the benefit for another year occurs when the Carnival Corp. annual report is issued which whould be in the next couple of weeks.

Unless the Board of Directors has decided to change the program, at that time the OBC will be applicable to sailing through July 31, 2014.

I bought the CCL stock a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know about the July date but I figured it would be renewed. My TA told me to submit proof at the time of booking.

I am sure he was trying to be helpful....you can help him (and yourself) if you go to the CCL website and look around http://www.carnivalcorp.com.

Regardless of what you read here on CC, the 'real deal' is on the official website.

You are now a stockholder and it is always good to familiarize yourself with the details...for tax purposes, for the OBC that we all like and to be familiar with the Corporation.

IMPORTANT

Youll find on older version of the instructional pdf, and in posts on this board about an email address you can send proof to.

I spoke to someone at the revenue office today and was told those emails were discontinued for security reasons - they now only accept fax or real mail.

Investment!!! Price of stock today is 35.77. Yearly dividend is 2.8%. If you cruise once a year for 7 days, you get another $100. That is another 2.78%. For a total of @ 5.6% on you investment of $3600. Can you get a CD returning 5.6%, not today, well maybe but it would be with amore risky investment then this. I think it is not a bad deal. If you cruise more your return is more. If the stock goes up your dividend % of original investment does not change. Do the math.

I bought my 100 shares in 2008 (during the recession) for $25/share! So far I've gotten half of my investment back in OBC and dividends, plus over $1300 in share price increases. I've now gotten back more than I paid. What a great deal. And no tax issues - I hold mine in my IRA.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I bought my 100 shares in 2008 (during the recession) for $25/share! So far I've gotten half of my investment back in OBC and dividends, plus over $1300 in share price increases. I've now gotten back more than I paid. What a great deal. And no tax issues - I hold mine in my IRA.

No brainer.........smart move in the IRA.......

me too.........

AMuse 1

I agree that you should not buy just to get the OBC, however with the OBC and dividends it all adds up to a very healthy return. I reckon I will easily get all of my investment back over time given that I plan to cruise most years. Add to that my shares have risen sharply since buying and it has become a good investment in itself.

One question. The current OBC runs up to 31 July 2013. Do they normally extend it in March? I ask as I next cruise in August and so currently do not qualify. An August update would be too late for me.

Rob

I agree that you should not buy just to get the OBC, however with the OBC and dividends it all adds up to a very healthy return. I reckon I will easily get all of my investment back over time given that I plan to cruise most years. Add to that my shares have risen sharply since buying and it has become a good investment in itself.

One question. The current OBC runs up to 31 July 2013. Do they normally extend it in March? I ask as I next cruise in August and so currently do not qualify. An August update would be too late for me.

Rob

I do not understand your question. You have to send proof of ownership within 90 days of sailing....I do not know of any plans to scrap the credit.

By the way, it is also good on Holland America & all of CCL owned lines.

AMuse 1

I do not understand your question. You have to send proof of ownership within 90 days of sailing....I do not know of any plans to scrap the credit.

By the way, it is also good on Holland America & all of CCL owned lines.

AMuse 1

The present form says the OBC offer is good through July 31. It is up to the CCL board if they extend it. It has been extended annually for several years, and the board should come up with a decision within the next few days if it will be applicable after July 31.

The present form says the OBC offer is good through July 31. It is up to the CCL board if they extend it. It has been extended annually for several years, and the board should come up with a decision within the next few days if it will be applicable after July 31.

VERY interesting...............

I have to think that CCL would not do anything to hurt their image any more at this time.............

AMuse 1

QUESTION:

How do you add your completed cruises & pending cruises to your info?

AMuse 1

QUESTION:

How do you add your completed cruises & pending cruises to your info?

AMuse 1

Where do you want to add them? On your Captains Circle record so that you can see them on Princess.com?

Princess posts them automatically in your Captains Circle account. If any are missing you can write to Princess to have your account updated.

Or on a signature for your posts here on CC?

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

Hoping you can help. I have been reading the posts about purchasing Carnival Shares (CCL) on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and I am looking into this with my bank. My reasons for purchase CCL Shares are:

- I will be able to get shareholder benefits (i.e. Onboard Credit), and

- I also think its a good investment.

From what I understand, the only way way to buy US Shares when in Australia (that is as a non US resident from outside USA) is through an online share trading system, like ComSec, Westpac or eTrade.

It looks like shares purchased in this way are held in a "trustee type" arrangement, with the Bank (or a trust company) as the legal owner. From what I understand all the bank's online share trading systems are the same. Of course, my Bank share statement will show I own CCL shares.

I want to ask if there are any other Aussies who are in the same situation and were able to get the OBC in the same situation.

Also from your experience, how easy was it purchasing the shares and how long did it take to get them?

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Lynda

Even at this low price of Carnival stock you would have to do quite a few cruises to break even. This is what my financial advisor told me. He said if you do the math first you may not want to buy stock if it is basically for the reason of getting OBC.

I have to disagree. We cruise on average 4 times per year, and if you calculate the yield on our investment per annum, noting that it is tax free, we are looking at $1000 per year (4 cruises of 14 days or more) and then also the smaller taxable annual dividend.

That $1000 can be applied to the autotip, so it is $$$ we would be out, as we don't consider the autotip a discretionary spending item. In the current trading range that is over 25% yield each year. You have to decide for yourself if that is an acceptable return for your own portfolio, based on your cruising habits.

We feel that even if the stock doesn't move up at all, we are still doing just fine. We've more than recovered all of our upfront investment, and view this stock as a long term hold, no matter what the analysts recommendations may be.