Pre cruise complaint (what's your view)

Arrowdaz

Per RCI/UK terms and conditions a binding contract is not in place until they send you the Confirmation Invoice. If the drink package was not on that, you're likely relying on their goodwill to provide you anything.

Hi mark,

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

Regrads

I don't know if I'd consider a free premium drink package a "little extra" when you are talking about a 13 night sailing. I don't know what the UK pricing is on the drink package, but that would be worth $715 per person ($55 per night X 13 nights) for a US based cruise. Considering a balcony stateroom is going for around $1200 per person for that cruise right now, an extra incentive that is worth 60% of what I'm paying for the cruise would seem like a pretty big deal.

That is a good point. On the other hand, it also makes me even more confident that this was erroneously offered. There's an old saying: if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. And I am still stuck on the fact that the error was caught very quickly- finding out in 48 hours, for a cruise that's still nine months away. If they're offering a full refund, then no harm- no foul.

That is a good point. On the other hand, it also makes me even more confident that this was erroneously offered. There's an old saying: if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. And I am still stuck on the fact that the error was caught very quickly- finding out in 48 hours, for a cruise that's still nine months away. If they're offering a full refund, then no harm- no foul.

Mac,

They (RCI) didn't find the error, I DID. as it wasn't in my confirmation, if I wouldn't have checked through it very carefully to ensure everything was correct no one would be any wiser!

Regards

That is a good point. On the other hand, it also makes me even more confident that this was erroneously offered. There's an old saying: if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

Just as footnote to that... RCI was actually offering a free premium drink package for balcony and above staterooms on 2 particular Eastbound Transatlantic sailings this spring (15 night on Navigator and 10 night on Brilliance). Both of those sailing could be booked for some pretty attractive rates and did include the drink package. So it isn't unheard of.

I spent many years in a job where the "sale of goods and services act 1979" was used on a daily basis.

RCI do not have a leg to stand on here. They have offered you a product and you have brought that product based on what you were offered over the phone. The second they took your deposit, they entered into a contract with you & that contract is based on what you and the agent agreed on the phone.

Whether or not the sales agent should or shouldn't have offered you the OBC and the drinks package are irrelevant. The fact is they DID and they did so on behalf of RCI.

If they refuse to honour what they sold you, then you need to get Trading Standards involved and ABTA.

Good luck and don't be fobbed off. You are 100% right to be upset with them and by law they have to honour what they sold you.

Per RCI/UK terms and conditions a binding contract is not in place until they send you the Confirmation Invoice. If the drink package was not on that, you're likely relying on their goodwill to provide you anything.

That is interesting that the contract is not binding until RCI sends the invoice to you in writing. So, if someone in the UK were to book a cruise and then change their minds before RCI sent the invoice, would RCI be obligated to return the non-refundable deposits that they have in the UK?

Typically if an employee of mine makes a mistake that ends up costing me I tend to eat the cost rather than annoy a patient. Then I do some employee re-training. And with taped documentation of the employee's mistake I would be even more likely to eat the cost.

That may be in their T&C but that doesn't make it right or lawful..... the OBC wasn't on there either but they have reinstated that..... as someone already said a verbal agreement was made. Will look into this.

Hi,

First of all, Thank you so much for your help.

No it wasn't it was a regular ordinary booking

NP. Am intrigued. Beats arguing about pink feathers.

I would take this as far as one could go. I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), but, to me, this is not a legal question. Of course, it will come down one, but truly, it is a question of business ethics.

It is not your responsibility to train RC agents.

The right thing for RC to do is honor the deal that their agent offered and then RC has to go and re-train the agent, or correct their software so that the agent doesn't see the potential perk. You are not responsible for their mistake.

What is right is RC provides what was offered.

What is legal, well, I have no idea.

But I would continue to pursue this.

OWD

The fact that it was confirmed by the tape takes it out of the he said/she said category and makes it equivalent to a written contract.

Yep. It's an oral contract. This happened to me with Carnival once. They were not going to honor the rate that their rep promised me and basically told me there was no way the rep said what she said to me. Long story short they played the tape back and after doing so honored the rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I spent many years in a job where the "sale of goods and services act 1979" was used on a daily basis.

RCI do not have a leg to stand on here. They have offered you a product and you have brought that product based on what you were offered over the phone. The second they took your deposit, they entered into a contract with you & that contract is based on what you and the agent agreed on the phone.

Whether or not the sales agent should or shouldn't have offered you the OBC and the drinks package are irrelevant. The fact is they DID and they did so on behalf of RCI.

If they refuse to honour what they sold you, then you need to get Trading Standards involved and ABTA.

Good luck and don't be fobbed off. You are 100% right to be upset with them and by law they have to honour what they sold you.

Thanks for that, it's very helpful info.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states :

4 How contract of sale is made

(1) Subject to this and any other Act, a contract of sale may be made in writing (with or without seal), or by word of mouth, or partly in writing and partly by word of mouth, or may be implied from the conduct of the parties.

If they continue to give you a negative response request a copy of the conversation you had then head to Trading Standards and ABTA as previously advised.

Edited to add : Do not cancel the booking or do anything with it at that point. By sending you the confirmation they have made a contract with you ;)

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 states :

4 How contract of sale is made

(1) Subject to this and any other Act, a contract of sale may be made in writing (with or without seal), or by word of mouth, or partly in writing and partly by word of mouth, or may be implied from the conduct of the parties.

If they continue to give you a negative response request a copy of the conversation you had then head to Trading Standards and ABTA as previously advised.

Edited to add : Do not cancel the booking or do anything with it at that point. By sending you the confirmation they have made a contract with you ;)

Thanks so much for that,

It's very helpful information, I suppose we will see what they have to say tomorrow, and will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Quite frankly, if I were offered free premium drink packages I would have immediately questioned the offer to assure that is what they were really offering and gotten it in writing. The package is X2 and for a transatlantic would be pretty pricey.

Sounds like it was an honest mistake.

I do understand many people shop for cruises and try to get as many perks as possible. If this is the case, then by all means see what you can get out of them. It also sounds like they were trying to meet you half way by keeping the $200 OBC on the table. Unless, of course, everyone got one for this sailing. Maybe you can get them to compromise a little more by a larger OBC?

Quite frankly, if I were offered free premium drink packages I would have immediately questioned the offer to assure that is what they were really offering and gotten it in writing. The package is X2 and for a transatlantic would be pretty pricey.

Sounds like it was an honest mistake.

I do understand many people shop for cruises and try to get as many perks as possible. If this is the case, then by all means see what you can get out of them. It also sounds like they were trying to meet you half way by keeping the $200 OBC on the table. Unless, of course, everyone got one for this sailing. Maybe you can get them to compromise a little more by a larger OBC?

Thanks larry,

I didn't want to go into too much detail in my original post, but I did question the fact that she offered all inc drinks, as no other agent was offering it, she went away to double check this offer and came back and confirmed it.

The booking wasn't made on the first call, I got the quote then called back the next day to double check everything, and then made the booking after double checking.

The agent even went into detail about the package explaining how it works and what was included!

Regards

Thanks larry,

I didn't want to go into too much detail in my original post, but I did question the fact that she offered all inc drinks, as no other agent was offering it, she went away to double check this offer and came back and confirmed it.

The booking wasn't made on the first call, I got the quote then called back the next day to double check everything, and then made the booking after double checking.

The agent even went into detail about the package explaining how it works and what was included!

Regards

This would have been a BIG red flag for me. I work in a world where people will insist they are right even thought they lack experience or the ability to thorougly see what's in front of them

In any case, though, maybe you should call back and ask for the supervisor and higher if necessary and provide them with your recorded conversations. Honestly, if you made your cruise decision based on this alone, they should give you some sort of compromise or option. Good luck

I know NOTHING about British law, however I know something about large companies. I think it may be worth your time to contact the executive offices in Miami. Regardless of whether or not this offer was in error, there seems to be proof the offer was made. It appears that you are a loyal RCI customer who has cruised with them before. If you contact Mr. Goldstein's office I feel you could resolve this quickly. Almost no executive of a large company would be satisfied with thier team responding to you this way and most will step in to resolve this quickly and easily.

Try sending an email to:

agoldstein@rccl.com

Be very polite, give specific dates and times, who you spoke with, and as much verifibale information as possible. I suspect you will receive a reponse and possibly a resolution to your issue. Please post and let us know how this turns out for you.

I know NOTHING about British law, however I know something about large companies. I think it may be worth your time to contact the executive offices in Miami. Regardless of whether or not this offer was in error, there seems to be proof the offer was made. It appears that you are a loyal RCI customer who has cruised with them before. If you contact Mr. Goldstein's office I feel you could resolve this quickly. Almost no executive of a large company would be satisfied with thier team responding to you this way and most will step in to resolve this quickly and easily.

Try sending an email to:

agoldstein@rccl.com

Be very polite, give specific dates and times, who you spoke with, and as much verifibale information as possible. I suspect you will receive a reponse and possibly a resolution to your issue. Please post and let us know how this turns out for you.

Thanks for that,

I will wait and see what RCI have to say tomorrow, and give them the chance to resolve it, failing that I will pursue it further.

Is that the correct e-mail address for Adam Goldstein?

And I will most certainly keep you posted.

Thanks again

Thanks for that,

I will wait and see what RCI have to say tomorrow, and give them the chance to resolve it, failing that I will pursue it further.

Is that the correct e-mail address for Adam Goldstein?

And I will most certainly keep you posted.

Thanks again

Yes.... it's the one I had occasion to use recently....

Hi,

Just 2 days ago I made a booking direct with royal Caribbean international in the UK for a sailing on adventure of the seas on November 4th. It's a transatlantic crossing, I booked all flights transfers and a post cruise stay in Miami after our cruise.

As part Of our package we were offered an all inc premium drinks package and $200 OBC.

However, I received my documentation via e-mail and these two items were missing from it, so I rang up to get the details confirmed.

RCI have today said that the sales agent has made an error and should not have offered me either as these are not available on my sailing, they offered to cancel my booking and give me a full refund or keep the booking open but with just the $200 OBC.

They are adamant that's all they can offer.

Do you think I am with in my rights to demand exactly what was promised at the point of sale?

What would you do?

Please help me take this further and let me know what you think!

Accident happen and mistakes get made. We all are human. Personally I would just let it go and move on. It is not like you boarded the ship and then they said they made a mistake. Enjoy your cruise and the $200 OBC.

Hi mac

Thanks for your opinion, as I said earlier, the offers were a deciding factor on several different cruises we were looking at. All were with royal Caribbean and a few were transatlantic options. The packages that were offered on this sailing simply made us choose this over a different sailings.

At the end of the day, it's not me in the wrong. I was simply offered something and then had it revoked. RCI didn't contact me to make me aware that these items were not available, I queried why they weren't on my confirmation!

Regards

my word, you are so polite in your responses.... hats off to you & well done. Its more than I would have been in relation to some of these unpleasant responses..

I would fight it - you are totally in the right ...go for it and I wish you very good luck :)

my word, you are so polite in your responses.... hats off to you & well done. Its more than I would have been in relation to some of these unpleasant responses..

I would fight it - you are totally in the right ...go for it and I wish you very good luck :)

Thanks so much jeannie,

I just treat everyone how I expect to be treated myself!

I did ask for people's opinions and thoughts and I always knew I would get those in favour and those who oppose!

I'll post the outcome in here!

Regards

Archived