Suites/4 Star/5 Star Priority Tendering

SilvertoGold

I was reading the World Cruise thread by JohnnyB (John and Diane) and noticed that this World Cruise has had some trouble with the priority tendering being not so "priority" and have solved this by having two tender areas, the one aft for the priority bunch and the fore one for shorex and everyone else.

Having been stuck myself waiting for all the shorex to go first, I think this is a great idea, but then wondered if this is feasible on any cruise other than the World.

The idea of priority tendering is great perk if it is actually prioirty and I have found it usually isn't. So, what is the solution?

Any ideas? Experiences?

We're not usually in a rush to get off in the morning and wait until the first few tenders have left before we head to the gangway. No question we have waited sometimes longer than one would think 'priority' :D would wait but........

I'm not sure how an "S" ship could/would have two gangways going at once?

We're not usually in a rush to get off in the morning and wait until the first few tenders have left before we head to the gangway. No question we have waited sometimes longer than one would think 'priority' :D would wait but........

I'm not sure how an "S" ship could/would have two gangways going at once?

They can have one on both sides going at the same time, but don't know about 2 on the same side.

Vistas and Signatures have two on each side.

I don't think both sides would work because the ship has to have the tender area in the lee of the wind (or something like that).

An S class is 60 feet shorter than an R class (Amsterdam), so maybe too tight two on one side?

I noticed that Johnny and Diane at 8:30 am thought they would have their priority tender to themselves until one other couple came along, so this would presumably only need to be done at the very beginning of tendering or until all the shorex are off.

On most cruises, HAL likely would not have any problems with priority if it weren't for the shorex. If some of the CDs were just a little more gracious, it might be a nicer wait.

It would be good if HAL could come up with a plan because we are seeing a lot more 4/5 stars plus suites standing around unhappy about how this is handled. The numbers of 4/5 stars will only increase...

I agree SilvertoGold - I normally don't worry about a tender but if I have a private tour booked (like in Europe) then it is a big thing.

I made arrangements for our group last time and plan to do the same thing this time - not taking any risks - even though most ship's tours leave after we will be wanting to get off;)

On some of the cruises -- there are many people who have the priority status to get off the ship whenever they want to for tendering.

As you said - anyone who is 4 star mariner, 5 star mariner and suites -- all have that perk.

We have seen the lines quite long to get off -- waiting for the tenders. We had a ship's excursion in Icy Straight and the number of people who did not have a ship's tour but needed to get off for private tours made it hard for those of us who needed to get ashore. It was a mess.

There's never any rush if you wait until the first few tenders have departed.

True in HMC - true in other Caribbean ports - NOT TRUE in some European ports as time is of the essence if you are going anywhere. JMO though

We never had any trouble tendering in Europe. We were in Suites and did the same as now..... went to the gangway after the first or second tender left and we were boarded on the next. I specifically recall several vists to Monte Carlo where we had to tender as well as Mykonos. :) Just recalling those visits puts a smile on my face. :)

How about if HAL used one area to board all the shorex and the other for everyone else, with the priority pax actually having priority. Once all the shorex are off, then that area could be shut down.

As noted, it can be a real mess, with some pax feeling insulted and the whole thing leaving the feeling that it just does not work.

Thanks for the replies. I am glad I am not the only one who has experienced a less than satisfactory priority tendering!

I've wondered about this. With as many repeat passengers as HAL has, it's a good chance that as much as half the ship could have "priority tendering." It becomes a case of "if everyone has priority, no-one does."

Unless I book a shore excursion, I never have time sensitive business ashore, so it's not an issue for me. But I do know at one stop on a cruise, it was well after noon, pushing 2:00p by the time all the tender ticket holders had been called from the show lounge. Sometimes the conditions are not favourable and the ride to shore is long. That is the main reason I chose ship-provided tours at tender ports.

There's never any rush if you wait until the first few tenders have departed.

But if you have a ship's tour assigned you can and will encounter many people who have to get off the ship as soon as possible.

When we do not have a tour, we do wait until the majority of the tenders are gone.

But unfortunately that does not always work for all tender ports.

I've wondered about this. With as many repeat passengers as HAL has, it's a good chance that as much as half the ship could have "priority tendering." It becomes a case of "if everyone has priority, no-one does."

Unless I book a shore excursion, I never have time sensitive business ashore, so it's not an issue for me. But I do know at one stop on a cruise, it was well after noon, pushing 2:00p by the time all the tender ticket holders had been called from the show lounge. Sometimes the conditions are not favourable and the ride to shore is long. That is the main reason I chose ship-provided tours at tender ports.

Add in the Suite guests with priority and there is no priority, as you say. Some of the Suite guests are also four/five star so it's duplication but still a great many on the ships have this 'so called' priority.

We do the same thing for tender ports -- select the ship's excursions.

It is the old 'PAID' people v the 'PERK' people.

Shore Ex should go first to get away on the tours.... they have 'PAID'. For the 'PERK' passengers... it is just that... a perk. So best thing to do is use one of your other perks... like another cup of coffee and relax in Neptune Lounge.... and remember not to book private tours too early.

4 Star and 5 Star not in a Suite should know by now not to sweat it.

Have a nice day!:)

Shore Ex should go first to get away on the tours.... they have 'PAID'. For the 'PERK' passengers... it is just that... a perk. So best thing to do is use one of your other perks... like another cup of coffee and relax in Neptune Lounge.... and remember not to book private tours too early.

Those people that you are suggesting that should relax in the Neptune Lounge have PAID for the perk IMO. All those perks are in the price of their suite. They have all been PAID for. Just my opinion of course;)

People who do private tours seek them out because of the quality of some of HAL"s shorex. I've had some good ones and some horrific ones. If HAL offered a consistent product and perhaps smaller groups I'm sure they would have more people sign up. JMO

Right you are, but.... what is the point of HAL offering the "priority tender" to anyone, suites, 4 star, 5 star, if they can't deliver on it?

• 5 months later...
Right you are, but.... what is the point of HAL offering the "priority tender" to anyone, suites, 4 star, 5 star, if they can't deliver on it?

It helps create an illusion (i.e. public perception) that the benefits of their Mariner Program are better than they actually are. HAL wants it to look like their "repeater perks" are just as good as the other cruise line's "repeater perks".

I just got off the Veendam (35 night Voyage Of The Vikings) and the 4 & 5 Star Mariner "priority tendering" was not a priority, they claimed it still was but it wasn't. The 4 & 5 Star Mariners went before the general population but after all the people that had shore excursions, etc. The 4 & 5 Star people went to the Wang Theater and got blue boarding passes, the general population went to the Ocean Bar and got red boarding passes. They called the blue passes first; however, it wasn't until all the shore excursion people had left, etc. :(

Note: I did the Voyage Of The Vikings cruise on the Maasdam in 2011, and it was "priority tendering", i.e. go to the tender anytime you wish by just showing your cabin card. There wasn't any problems, long lines, and/or over crowding to get on the tenders, etc.

FWIW, in my opinion, comparing all the cruise lines in HAL's category Princess' "repeater perks" are the best.

Archived