Titanic II to be constructed in China

Happyboating

First phase of model basin testing was completed Sept 9-12.

:D;)Keep up BlueRiband... You are getting as bad as me.. see post #243.

The engineering blurp I read all talks about azipod final drive but all the pretty pictures show her with a conventional shaft and rudder?? I am guessing there might be a play on words regarding the 'shaft' :o

I would love the oppurtunity to speak with any of the bridge officers or indeed engineers to hear their thoughts on this type of final drive as on paper the azipod option appears to be the way to go for main propulsion? (question)

According to Deltamarin's blog the basin model tested is the 3-pod configuration with the middle pod somewhat forward of the other two. The first graphics had shown the middle pod in about the same location as the original Titanic's middle screw.
Totally agree and that is exactly what I have read but his advertising images give the impression of a conventional type arrangement. My thoughts are the advertising images are just that, pictures that make the ship look pretty. click

what are your thoughts about the building of this vessel, will it ever come to fruition? I am simply interested and have no opinion either way. :)

Where are the lifeboats in that image? (the real ones, not the pretend ones)

My thoughts are that this pictures just like all the others, are atristic impressions of what this ship might look like. Clearly we can find huge faults with that drawing and I guess this applies equally to this picture.

This is the Wikipedia version click

My thoughts are that this pictures just like all the others, are atristic impressions of what this ship might look like. Clearly we can find huge faults with that drawing and I guess this applies equally to this picture.
Fine. But you give the impression below that you are relying on these inaccurate drawings, that they might be a creditable alternative.
Totally agree and that is exactly what I have read but his advertising images give the impression of a conventional type arrangement.
As the lifeboats are absent (a major omission), I am surprised you brought our attention to the layout of the propellers on such a poor image. That lifeboat omission should, surely, have made you discard this image as unworthy of further discussion?

After all, it has, as you say above, "huge faults".

:confused: Puzzled.

Edited by pepperrn

Fine. But you give the impression below that you are relying on these inaccurate drawings, that they might be a creditable alternative.

As the lifeboats are absent (a major omission), I am surprised you brought our attention to the layout of the propellers on such a poor image. That lifeboat omission should, surely, have made you discard this image as unworthy of further discussion?

After all, it has, as you say above, "huge faults".

:confused: Puzzled.

pepper,

I have said how it is proposed the ship will have azipods for final drives.. FULL STOP

I have then light heartedly pointed out how pretty pictures show the ship with a conventional propeller come rudder configuration.

Note I said how I THOUGHT the picture I posted was something to just make the ship look pretty.

By that I simply mean the rudders, propellers might have been similar in design to those used on the original ship

My thoughts are the advertising images are just that, pictures that make the ship look pretty.

At no time have I intimated these were scale drawings, true likenesses or anything that would represent an end result! Can you please highlight anywhere in that post that I have stated that the picture was a true likeness or indeed I was suggesting that this configuration...........

might be a creditable alternative.

I have absolutely NO IDEA if it may or may not be a credible alternative. The designer has stated what the final drive will be and that is possibly what it will be??

You then asked what I mistakenly thought was a sensible question and I answered it in good faithl?

Incidentally, I am sure you are aware that the image I copied is not a one off type image. It is regularly posted to show what Titanic II will look like, plus there are similar (but different) :) images that depict the rudder\propeller configuration.

I have no idea what has got into you recently but might I suggest we ignore each others posts or we discuss anything that might have struck a raw nerve offline?

I have hopefully never said anything rude to you or anything that might have caused this behaviour. I am in fact at a loss to see why you are acting in this manner but please, please Please don't start trying to tell me what I am thinking.. Or even worse, accuse me of clearly saying things I have never said (I detect a pattern here)

I have always, but always held you in the highest of regard and have not been slow in saying that.... I still hold you in high regard but recently I feel a change??

If you want to discuss this off-line then please feel free to contact me at josh2450 at hotmail.co.uk as I would love to put an end to whatever is causing this type of post. I hate this type of negativity and hopefully we can resolve this? :)

Here is another Youtube video filmed from the deck of the Queen Victoria. It showed the Queen Elizabeth sailing through very rough seas. Both the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria were doing a tandem transatlantic crossing in January 2011.
Regards,Jerry

Thanks. We were on the Queen Elizabeth, watching the waves break over the bow from our vantage point in the Commodore Club. It was a marvelous experience and not rough at all.

The naval architectural firm awarded the design for Titanic II, Deltamarin, has a blog where comments can be made and are answered.

Thanks BlueRiband for that link and the contents made me smile as..

'Many a true word spoken in jest' :)

Rudders and concealed lifeboats :o:o

Pepper,

Further to your query, it looks like there have indeed been official drawings of this ship with a dummy rudder ;) (said in good faith and not me stirring things up, I genuinely thought the rudder was simply artistic licence)

The lifeboat deck may, or may not have covers which would indeed conceal the boats which means that the 'arty' pictures might be slightly more accurate than we might both have thought?

Having said that the arty picture clearly shows propeller shafts.

Humour, humour..... perhaps the ship might be built with dummy prop shafts! :eek: humour

I am not suggesting for one millisecond what the ship might end up with, or looking like.

True, but sad. It's pure nostalgia to think of those fast crossings today, the market has changed, but thank heavens for QM2, better than nothing at all.

In the meantime, I found this Youtube clip from a particularly stormy Atlantic crossing in the late 1980's. If ever there was an advert of the need for a stronger built hull, this is it... :)

This is very interesting. Very rough seas. Who was the Captain?

He was quite concerned of the severity of the Sea.

• 1 month later...
Blue Star Line has posted a video of the
Toward the end of the video one can get a look at the three pod configuration.
Thank you for the link to the video.

Looks like they've got a problem replicating a traditional, thin, almost pointed, counter stern with the need for flat square box-like platform for the three pods.

Certainly the stern in the video looks nothing like Titanic's.

More like an ordinary ship water-line hull model with a stuck-on faux "rudder", placed there for the benefit of the video cameras (Unless they've various changable "rudder" designs to test the drag in the water...).

Thanks again. :)

Edited by pepperrn

link does not work

Many apologies Blue Riband

Your link worked perfectly thank you, I was typing a reply and my wife came in with an urgent query and I was trying to get my link to work :o:o

I was wondering if we have folks that might explain that false rudder on the models stern? I am wondering if it is placed there to give the model some stability?

Regarding the actual shape of this Titanic stern, is that dictated by the azipods being fitted as opposed to the more conventional shafts?

Look at the awful stern of the Queen Mary 2!!! :eek: Until it reaches the water-line you have the elegant 'cruiser' type stern but it thern changes into somethingresembling a butchered transom!!!

This is an image (hopefully) of what it looks like before the azipods are installed click

Edited by glojo

I wonder if having a Titanic replica hotel, and a Titanic replica cruise ship is going to confuse the public? Seems like the market for either of these experiences will be relatively small.

The QM and Rotterdam V both have long histories of actual sailings to draw people.

Clive Palmer enters the Australian Parliament this week after being elected after

a couple of recounts .

His party has virtually got the balance of power in the Senate.

Look he is a likeable bloke , and a bit of a Sxit Stirrer but compared to the Madness

of Australian Politics at the moment he might be a breath of fresh air.

Clive Palmer enters the Australian Parliament this week after being elected after

a couple of recounts .

His party has virtually got the balance of power in the Senate.

Look he is a likeable bloke , and a bit of a Sxit Stirrer but compared to the Madness

of Australian Politics at the moment he might be a breath of fresh air.

But now that Clive Palmer is in the Australian Parliament, Does he still really intend to build Titanic II or was the Titanic II announcement just a cheap publicity stunt so that he would be elected to the Australian Parliament? Regards,Jerry

Personally... And this is just my thought on the whole thing...

It does not sit well with me. The sinking of The Titanic was a tragedy, as we all know, in which many many people lost their lives. Yes, of course, like everything, remember them fondly and allow them to rest in peace as part of a sad historic event. But, to try and recreate the vessel and what should have happened just does not sit right in my mind.

Leave it be.

By all means, if the chap wants to flash the cash, build a ship, a honking big one, carving it up into classes of travel as much as he wishes... But, leave the Titanic name and legacy alone.

Totally agree - I have only just read about the Titanic 2 and thought it was a sick joke. I've never seen the film either - just doesn't seem right to make profit out of such a tragedy. :(

• 2 months later...
I'm no Cunard loyal, I've never sailed the ships. I was, however, fascinated by the Titanic from age 10+...and I think this is deplorable. :( Disagree if you will, but the Titanic is not just a movie, it's a harrowing bit of history that should be respected and let be.

I've read the interviews, listened, and all I see is a man trying to recreate a MOVIE, not an actual event, in which Cameron has gone back to the site and even stated his own depiction of the sinking was wrong and would be corrected if he could/(felt like/ afford it?).

I know he (Clive Parker) pulled a survivor aside to promote the idea...but that is one (correct me if I am wrong, please). I simply cannot picture a replica of this beautiful ship in modern day with people sitting in their "period costumes" texting on their ipods (as far as I know internet access will be available). It is a disgrace. Unfortunately, all I can think is that in the gift shop, be it on the cruise or at the end, there will be shirts entitled "I survived the Titanic 2" and the thought makes me sick :(

I agree with others that the idea of recreating the ship as a "floating hotel" or museum would be fabulous, and I would go. This man has absolutely gone too far. Now he is talking about making several or a "fleet" of these ships? I'm sorry, I cannot respect it. The Titanic sits in peaceful silence at the location of which she sank, and all other ships should recognize and respect that "graveyard" unique to the most famous oceanliner sinking of all time.

I just cannot get on with this :( It saddens my heart, I hope it never comes to pass.

As others have stated...there are other ships that deserve renovations without the divisive idea of recreating the Titanic... :mad:

xoxo

Val

I was so liking the idea but your post gives me pause. Thanks for that. :)