Titanic II to be constructed in China

Happyboating

Partial quote from http://www.marinelink.com/news/features-titanic-review356733.aspx

“I would like to welcome Lloyd’s Register to the Titanic II team and look forward to working closely with them on this landmark project,” Mr Palmer said. Blue Star Line has engaged Lloyd’s Register to review key design drawings, calculations and studies for Titanic ll against relevant rules and regulation. This will include class rules and Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) aspects which relate to the structure, stability and safety of Titanic II.”

Yes, that is what I saw as well. So the question is whether or not they are just announcing something they would have to do anyway, or is there some additional safety review which they are doing?

Yes, that is what I saw as well. So the question is whether or not they are just announcing something they would have to do anyway, or is there some additional safety review which they are doing?

Considering it's going to be built in China is a enough of a safety concern to me. My partner is Chinese & trust me, he agrees!

A classification agency will be involved early on, as it will be far easier to correct anything the so called class would not accept already in the drawing stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Titanic II will inevitably too small in my opinion (compared to what is on offer today). Given that Palmer wants to keep it as close to the original, I think there will be a lack of things to do on board (especially for the lesser class of travel).

To be honest, he'd be better off building a Titanic replica for a theme park.

It might end up that way after the initial interest wears off.

Titanic II will inevitably too small in my opinion (compared to what is on offer today). Given that Palmer wants to keep it as close to the original, I think there will be a lack of things to do on board (especially for the lesser class of travel).

To be honest, he'd be better off building a Titanic replica for a theme park.

It might end up that way after the initial interest wears off.

I haven't got anopinion, just the usual thousand and one questions.

Size usually equates to comfort and I guess most important, a smoother travelling experience. Commuting across the Atlantic will be theideal task for the larger ship BUT........ And this is a quaestion, Is there a market for a ship solely tasked with operating between New York and Southampton?

My gut feeling is there is not!! If there was then would there be ships competing for the passengers?

Having talked about my 'gut feeling' I have to bow to those that are better qualified to make these decisions and if they think the market is there, then good luck to them but in winter will they hold onto customers that might not tolerate the conditions of yesteryear that older ocean liners regularly experienced??

While the maiden voyage will most definitely be out of my budget, I would certainly sign on. Although I have not yet decided if my evening dress will be c. 1912 or c. 2016.

Those disappointed in Cunard's new smoking policy can book Blue Star and anticipate enjoyment of their cigarettes in one of Titanic's smoking rooms.

• 1 month later...

Lots of talk about what constitutes an ocean liner and no matter what her lines, if this ship is completed and she does take on regularly, scheduled crossdings of the Atlantic, she will indeed be a fully fledged liner. My query is, will this see a cut down in the crossing made by other cruise lines as there must surely only be a finite number of folks opting for this mode of transport.

Lots of talk about what constitutes an ocean liner and no matter what her lines, if this ship is completed and she does take on regularly, scheduled crossdings of the Atlantic, she will indeed be a fully fledged liner. My query is, will this see a cut down in the crossing made by other cruise lines as there must surely only be a finite number of folks opting for this mode of transport.

Only from you, everyone else accepts that Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner.

Only from you, everyone else accepts that Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner.

Despite an illustrated explaination here from the foremost expert on this subject, and extensive postings here, some remain unmoved. A perfect example of the phrase, "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still".

Edited by BlueRiband

Despite an illustrated explaination here from the foremost expert on this subject, and extensive postings here, some remain unmoved. A perfect example of the phrase, "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still".

I suspect he won't ask Stephen Payne to clarify whether QM2 is an ocean liner or not because he knows he won't like the answer.

Not that he actually thinks ocean liners are are in anyway unique, or more special than a cruise ship. Well, on this occasion at least.

Hi Blue Riband,

I guess I should respect those that know what I think but in reality the only person that falls into that definition is my wife!

I am in the corner that believes that when ordered, when built the Queen Mary 2 was built to the specifications required to be an ocean liner commuting across the North Atlantic in all weathers and to a schedule.

Yes I have heard Mr Payne describing her as the last great ocewan liner to be built and yes I have no issues with that.

I do however query whether she can be described now, in her current role what her main purpose is? Is she a ship operating a scheduled crossing of the North Atlantic transporting folks fropm one country to the other?

Yes it can be argued she may well have a strengthened hull but we have cruise ships regularly cruising down to Antartica or other notorious area.

I feel like tyhe chap that dares to suggest the king is not wearing a nice suit when all those around me say how nice it looks.

I expect one person to carry on with their childish, immature snipes at me and that is their choice but my thoughts are that the Queen Mary 2 is a very nice ship much loved by a lot of people but at this moment in time my personal thoughts are and will remain that she is a cruise ship performing the exact same duties as any other cruise ship, no different apart from when she does cross the Atlantic, there is a facility for carrying a small number of pet animals.

I am sorry if that is a case of me refusing to listen and I have no intention of publicly asking Mr Payne if he think his ship is an ocean going liner as it is on record that he designed it to be an ocean liner ande built it to be an ocean liner. I TOTALLY 100% accept that but unlike some, I simply believe times have moved on and she is now used as a cruise ship that has trips across the Atlantic just like other cruise ships.

Looking at her schedule for 2014 are most of those visits to New York part and parcel of cruises that take in that city as part of a cruise or are they an ocean going liner ferrying passengers from Southampton to New York?

I think we can all agree to disagree and hopefully most of us can do that without getting personal?

What do you define as an ocean going liner and will it include the Titanic II? What size does a liner have to be? I have been open about my definition and would love to hear yours.

Please look at previous liners that plied the World's shipping lanes. Not all were Blue Riband contenders and were neither fast, nor big in size. Are we simply being obsessed by one ship?

On reflection I would suggest I am merely suggesting the current usage of the flagship.. Is it used as a cruise ship or as an ocena going liner

Edited by glojo
Reflections

I still have to question as to whether this Ship Titanic II will ever be built to begin with. Just read this article from the newspaper The Australian to understand why I am skeptical as to whether Titanic II will ever actually be built. Here is the link http://www.theaustralian.com.au/out-the-real-clive-palmer/story-fn6tcxar-1226710922127 Regards,Jerry

It's worth noting that many ocean liners were taken off scheduled routes and used as cruise ships during lean times. They were still liners.

Even the RMS Queen Elizabeth took on cruise duties between NYC and Nassau.

So, Queen Mary 2 can still be considered a liner. She maintains a TA schedule in between cruises.

Even by appearance, you can tell QM2 isn't a cruise ship. She is also built for high speed service - a good 10-15 knots higher than the other passenger ships plying the world's oceans today.

I am in the corner that believes that when ordered, when built the Queen Mary 2 was built to the specifications required to be an ocean liner commuting across the North Atlantic in all weathers and to a schedule.

It's nice to see you express an opinion, instead of disguising it as a question.

Yes I have heard Mr Payne describing her as the last great ocewan liner to be built and yes I have no issues with that.

Are you sure? Because you do have the opportunity to take your argument right to the ship's designer himself and settle the score, once and for all.

I do however query whether she can be described now, in her current role what her main purpose is? Is she a ship operating a scheduled crossing of the North Atlantic transporting folks fropm one country to the other?

So you're suggesting that although she was built to the specifications of an ocean liner, you now question whether she is one - presumably because she doesn't spend all year going back and forth across the North Atlantic.

Do you acknowledge that if something is built as X, even if it does duties as Y, it still remains X?

QM2 was built as an ocean liner (you've admitted that now), even if she spends half the year doing cruises this doesn't change the fact that she was built as, and remains, an ocean liner. The reason for this is that the characteristics of an ocean liner are physical, they are not removed simply because the ship does other duties.

Using your train of thought, P&O's Pacific Dawn (a 90's ex-Princess purpose built cruise ship) would become an ocean liner if she was to spend all year going back and forth across the North Atlantic. Unfortunately (for your argument) this wouldn't actually be the case, just like it's not the case that QM2 is magically transformed from an ocean liner into a cruise ship just because she cruises around the world once a year.

Yes it can be argued she may well have a strengthened hull but we have cruise ships regularly cruising down to Antartica or other notorious area.

So what, doesn't make them an ocean liner.

I feel like tyhe chap that dares to suggest the king is not wearing a nice suit when all those around me say how nice it looks.

My guess is that you don't like it that people place QM2 on a pedestal because she's an ocean liner. You'd prefer it if the majority said "QM2? She's just another old cruise ship, nothing special or unique about her".

But that's never going to happen Glojo.

I expect one person to carry on with their childish, immature snipes at me and that is their choice

Pot..Kettle..Black...

I haven't responded to any of your posts in months, there's only so many times you can tell someone that QM2 is an ocean liner. :rolleyes: But you can't let it go, calling me a clown in this post, and a buffoon in this one.

As Pepper said, you were being rude.

but my thoughts are that the Queen Mary 2 is a very nice ship much loved by a lot of people but at this moment in time my personal thoughts are and will remain that she is a cruise ship performing the exact same duties as any other cruise ship, no different apart from when she does cross the Atlantic, there is a facility for carrying a small number of pet animals.

You can think what you like Glojo, but it doesn't change facts. QM2 was built to "ocean liner specifications" (using your words) and she will remain an ocean liner no matter whether she's doing a transatlantic crossing or a world cruise.

I am sorry if that is a case of me refusing to listen and I have no intention of publicly asking Mr Payne if he think his ship is an ocean going liner as it is on record that he designed it to be an ocean liner ande built it to be an ocean liner.

But you've stated that you think QM2 is now just a cruise ship. Why don't you go and tell Stephen Payne that, see what he thinks?

I TOTALLY 100% accept that but unlike some, I simply believe times have moved on and she is now used as a cruise ship that has trips across the Atlantic just like other cruise ships.

Looking at her schedule for 2014 are most of those visits to New York part and parcel of cruises that take in that city as part of a cruise or are they an ocean going liner ferrying passengers from Southampton to New York?

As I (and many others) have said before, just because QM2 does cruises it doesn't change the fact that she was built as, and remains, an ocean liner.

I think we can all agree to disagree and hopefully most of us can do that without getting personal?

It's a little bit late for that Glojo, what with calling people "clowns" & "buffoons". Pepper was right, that was rude.

What do you define as an ocean going liner and will it include the Titanic II? What size does a liner have to be? I have been open about my definition and would love to hear yours.

Please look at previous liners that plied the World's shipping lanes. Not all were Blue Riband contenders and were neither fast, nor big in size.

How far do you want us to go back? The Mayflower?

Are we simply being obsessed by one ship?

And that's it in a nutshell isn't it. I think (based on your repeated statements) that you believe that QM2 is just a cruise ship, no different, with nothing unique to her, just a humdrum old cruise ship like all the rest....and it really irks you that the rest of the world calls her an ocean liner and understands that yes, she is different and unique - one of a kind in fact.

She's an ocean liner - the rest are not.

Hi Blue Riband,

I guess I should respect those that know what I think but in reality the only person that falls into that definition is my wife!

I expect one person to carry on with their childish, immature snipes at me and that is their choice but my thoughts are that the Queen Mary 2 is a very nice ship much loved by a lot of people but at this moment in time my personal thoughts are and will remain that she is a cruise ship performing the exact same duties as any other cruise ship, no different apart from when she does cross the Atlantic, there is a facility for carrying a small number of pet animals.

I am sorry if that is a case of me refusing to listen and I have no intention of publicly asking Mr Payne if he think his ship is an ocean going liner as it is on record that he designed it to be an ocean liner ande built it to be an ocean liner. I TOTALLY 100% accept that but unlike some, I simply believe times have moved on and she is now used as a cruise ship that has trips across the Atlantic just like other cruise ships.

Please look at previous liners that plied the World's shipping lanes. Not all were Blue Riband contenders and were neither fast, nor big in size. Are we simply being obsessed by one ship?

On reflection I would suggest I am merely suggesting the current usage of the flagship.. Is it used as a cruise ship or as an ocena going liner

Good morning,

It is very interesting to read this discussions and thank you, BlueRiband,

for your links and information that you have posted here and on other threads they are very much appreciated.

My husband (whose only authority on ships is how they make him feel safety wise) describes the difference between the QM2 and cruise ships as follows:

The difference is like driving the 401 (an extremely busy highway in Toronto) in a Hummer and a Volkswagen. :D The more appropriate design and the more metal around you the better.

Debates are great...the name calling not so much so. More of the former

and less of the later please.

best regards to all,

seasidegal

I still have to question as to whether this Ship Titanic II will ever be built to begin with. Just read this article from the newspaper The Australian to understand why I am skeptical as to whether Titanic II will ever actually be built. Here is the link http://www.theaustralian.com.au/out-the-real-clive-palmer/story-fn6tcxar-1226710922127 Regards,Jerry

I also remember that a rich wealthy South African man whose name is Sarel Gous wanted to build his version of the Titanic which would have been the largest Ocean Liner ever built to look like the Titanic with 4 funnels on top of the ship. He walked away from his project when he got sticker shock at the price it would cost to build his version of the Titanic, I think this was about a year or two before construction started on the QM2. Regards,Jerry

It's worth noting that many ocean liners were taken off scheduled routes and used as cruise ships during lean times. They were still liners.

Even the RMS Queen Elizabeth took on cruise duties between NYC and Nassau.

So, Queen Mary 2 can still be considered a liner. She maintains a TA schedule in between cruises.

Even by appearance, you can tell QM2 isn't a cruise ship. She is also built for high speed service - a good 10-15 knots higher than the other passenger ships plying the world's oceans today.

Exactly.