Titanic II to be constructed in China

Happyboating

I remember that when James Cameron was making the Titanic film the general consensus was that no one would want to see it because:

1. It had been done so many times before.
  2. We all know what happens - as in it sinks.

If it gets made, whether it's successful or not, I doubt it would be scrapped as there's probably enough interest worldwide for it to be a successful tourist attraction.

... Palmer will also want her to spend some time in the Australian market. ...
No doubt there is a vast, untapped market in Oz comprising cruisers desperate for a small ship with very few balcony cabins and no on-deck pools.

No doubt there is a vast, untapped market in Oz comprising cruisers desperate for a small ship with very few balcony cabins and no on-deck pools.

Point well taken, and it's the main reason why the SSUS won't return to active service. (That, and she's a steam turbine ship that burned Bunker C.) I suppose however that those in "Oz" would want to sail Titanic II for the same reason anyone else might choose to do so - the recreated experience and elegance of the original ship. They would also like to be able to board at a port that does not involve flying to New York or to Southampton.

... I suppose however that those in "Oz" would want to sail Titanic II for the same reason anyone else might choose to do so - the recreated experience and elegance of the original ship. They would also like to be able to board at a port that does not involve flying to New York or to Southampton.
Remember that the fabled experience and elegance of the original ship was enjoyed by only a third of the passengers - the First Class passengers. I bet that the new ship will be hyped as providing elegance for all, and I wonder just how they plan to pull that off.

Remember that the fabled experience and elegance of the original ship was enjoyed by only a third of the passengers - the First Class passengers...

So true. She would be a class segregated ship. One interesting concept proposed was an accommodation "rotation" where passengers could chose to spend two days in each of of the three classes.

Also, smoking lounges in Titanic's day were only for "gentlemen". Just imagine the "smoking thread" on the future Blue Star Line forum!:D

Edited by BlueRiband

Remember that the fabled experience and elegance of the original ship was enjoyed by only a third of the passengers - the First Class passengers. I bet that the new ship will be hyped as providing elegance for all, and I wonder just how they plan to pull that off.

If she is built at about the same tonnage and to hold about the same number of people as the original, the space ratio will be about 18. Not so "elegant" for a cruising public that is used to more than twice that space.

If she is built at about the same tonnage and to hold about the same number of people as the original, the space ratio will be about 18. Not so "elegant" for a cruising public that is used to more than twice that space.
And more than 50 on QM2. (FYI the number we're talking about is gross tons divided by the number of passengers.)

Would there really be a huge issue with this ship having modern type cabins, services and public rooms? If the outside for the most part looked like the original then what would be the issue. It is not like we need the steerage levels third class type cabins anymore. Single cabins would be great to have. And I am sure there could be some way to artfully place some balcony cabins in this ship ??

Would there really be a huge issue with this ship having modern type cabins, services and public rooms? If the outside for the most part looked like the original then what would be the issue.

Well, then it wouldn't really be a "replica," would it? More like a "suggested by." It's like the old antique dealer joke about "This is the actual ax George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. Of course, since George owned it, it's had three new handles and two new heads."

Surely this thing is not really being built?

Would there really be a huge issue with this ship having modern type cabins, services and public rooms? If the outside for the most part looked like the original then what would be the issue. It is not like we need the steerage levels third class type cabins anymore. Single cabins would be great to have. And I am sure there could be some way to artfully place some balcony cabins in this ship ??

That is not what Mr. Palmer says he wants. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2284933/Titanic-II-Australian-tycoon-unveils-plans-replica-doomed-vessel.html

Of course, today most people want balconies so why not add those? To use al old quote before long we'd have a horse designed by a committee which looks like camel. So the Titanic II would look like a Princess ship.

Of course, today most people want balconies so why not add those? To use al old quote before long we'd have a horse designed by a committee which looks like camel. So the Titanic II would look like a Princess ship.
A really small one, perhaps a princeling ship at best.

Deltamarin has updated their Titanic II blog to address some reader comments about authenticity. Some commentators were really silly (smoke machines for the front funnels, fake rivet heads) and other commentators more practical regarding overall appearance (inclusion of an aft docking bridge and hiding lifeboats behind doors). It sounds like they may enclose the lifeboats for astetic and protective reasons. (''...Having the life boats on the original position would change the profile of the ship quite dramatically and such high position would need an exemption as in the case of Queen Mary 2. Life boat protection is considered and under study to avoid any damages in North Atlantic trade.'')

Titanic II would be a retro-themed ship and those who expect balcony staterooms would not sign on. A passenger who expects to book a reserved on-deck cabana would not sign on for QM2 either. How many will sign on is a separate subject.

Will the 3rd class passengers be excluded from the ships amenities in First class or will it simply be similar to modern cruise ships where generally the bottom deck inside cabins can use all of the facilities just like an owner's suite passenger?

I doubt anyone would be willing to be excluded in todays world to preserve historical accuracy. Its one thing to have added perks or special things for higher classes who pay more on certain ships and to have the "perks" the third class had on the ships of that era.

I was having the same thoughts. With modern cruise passengers being used to having access to almost all of the public areas and dining rooms (realizing that Cunard runs a slightly different system), I can't see third class passengers being happy confined to third class lounges or dining areas. The comfort and luxury of the first class lounges worked on the original Titanic because relatively few people had access to those facilities. If everyone does have access to all of the public areas and dining rooms, then the first class areas will likely be very crowded.

If the ship was actually built in 1912, I could understand the appeal to history buffs, but I suspect most people who are comparing their options for a week-long cruise will opt for the comfort and amenities of more modern ships.

If the ship was actually built in 1912, I could understand the appeal to history buffs, but I suspect most people who are comparing their options for a week-long cruise will opt for the comfort and amenities of more modern ships.

I tend to agree with what folks are saying however the Orient Express seems to take advantage of a by gone era (granted it never collided with an ice-berg resulting in multiple fatalities)

From the 1920s to the ‘30s the carriages of the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express played a significant role in the golden age of travel.

Today, every carriage has been lovingly restored to its former glory, recreating one of the finest luxury experiences the world has ever known.

What is an "LARP?"

Live action role playing game.

Mr. Palmer said that there will be period clothing for passengers to wear based on the class they have booked. You will only be able to use the venues assigned to your class. In his promotional video he shows people dressed and acting circa 1912.

Mr. Palmer said that there will be period clothing for passengers to wear based on the class they have booked. You will only be able to use the venues assigned to your class. In his promotional video he shows people dressed and acting circa 1912.

No Tuxedo for me then. In 1912 I probably would have been a stoker!:eek::D

No Tuxedo for me then. In 1912 I probably would have been a stoker!:eek::D
Weren't tuxedos considered new and informal back then? Wasn't it white tie for dinner? (Stokers excepted.)

Interesting.... I guess it could cut down on luggage if they provide your clothes! Then again, getting people to dress codes is already difficult. This might prove challenging!

I tend to agree with what folks are saying however the Orient Express seems to take advantage of a by gone era (granted it never collided with an ice-berg resulting in multiple fatalities)

Yes, but I believe those railcars were actually built in the 1920s and 1930s, and so have an air of authenticity about them.

I'll also be curious to see how the ship's furniture and decorations will be created to meet modern fire safety standards, while still keeping the look of the era, especially in the cabins.

• 1 month later...

The Blue Star Line has just put out an email saying that "LLoyd's Register Joins Titanic II" project. However, in order to get insurance don't all ships need to be inspected by LLoyd's, i.e. are they just doing something which would have to be done anyway?

Partial quote from http://www.marinelink.com/news/features-titanic-review356733.aspx

“I would like to welcome Lloyd’s Register to the Titanic II team and look forward to working closely with them on this landmark project,” Mr Palmer said. Blue Star Line has engaged Lloyd’s Register to review key design drawings, calculations and studies for Titanic ll against relevant rules and regulation. This will include class rules and Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) aspects which relate to the structure, stability and safety of Titanic II.”