I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

What link?

I read them on my desktop and want to transfer them to the iPad.

Here is the link that poster Groo has set up:

Here is the link to the book which contains the first eight of Sailor Jack's reviews. It is in ebook format but is easy to convert once you've downloaded it.

www.triplelake.net/darry/sailorjack.epub

ENJOY with many thnks to Sailor Jack and to Groo!

Absolutely hysterical review. Enjoyed every word. But unfortunately costly, because now I am determined to do this cruise after reading your brilliant review.

LOL...but you won't be disappointed!

I haven't finished your review yet. I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your writing style. Funny, funny, funny!

Hope you still feel that way by the time you are finished!:D

Next cruise will be to Tahiti - either late this year or the spring of next year...no fixed dates at this time.

I know that the one on Princess in October of this year still has some room. If you decide to go on that cruise and I' ll buy the first round while we figure out how we got into this. I was originally going to Scotland. :confused:

I will check that one out, but we are leaning towards spring, '14.

Where are all the photos that SailorJack was uploading. Cannot find them?????

The problem is not that I can't find them...its that I CAN find them...all 500+ lf them. It just takes time to edit, crop, sort, and stitch them.:eek:

But I should have the first batch ready to go by this afternoon.

Funny review! I will have to read some of your others. I suspect that DW is unwilling to go on Antarctica cruise. She says Galapagos is adventure enough.

Tom

The Galapagos is on our list, but it will be some time before it comes up. But, seriously, Antarctica is a great cruise - you wouldn't be disappointed!

LOL...but you won't be disappointed!

Hope you still feel that way by the time you are finished!:D

I will check that one out, but we are leaning towards spring, '14.

The problem is not that I can't find them...its that I CAN find them...all 500+ lf them. It just takes time to edit, crop, sort, and stitch them.:eek:

But I should have the first batch ready to go by this afternoon.

The Galapagos is on our list, but it will be some time before it comes up. But, seriously, Antarctica is a great cruise - you wouldn't be disappointed!

We are taking Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos cruise Mar 2015--45th anniversary. Liz has a list of places that she is not going to --all of Africa, India, Vietnam, Antarctica, all of the stans. She did relent on Russia and now China(fall 2014). If I want to go to any of those, I must go w/o her.

Tom:)

SailorJack....have you ck'd out the Feb 17 thread lately?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37419313&posted=1#post37419313

it seems that their time/weather in the Antarctic was even better than ours! I keep saying, somewhere our there, someone is getting the nasty weather we were supposed to have....the universe just seems to balance things out that way

Susan

Edited by murrrrrrmaid

I don't know how I missed this when it first came out. Just saw it today, Mar.6. I had recently reread parts of the Dream or Nightmare review, which always cracks me up.

This is another masterpiece! I can't believe you don't do this for a living. It should be syndicated!

We had another snowstorm starting last night which dumped several inches of new snow here in Dayton, OH. :eek: I needed a good laugh to lift my spirits. It'll be in the 50s this weekend, which will also help.

I spent a pre-cruise night in Vancouver, BC, last Aug. before boarding Millenium for an Alaska cruise/tour. Beautiful place! After the Olympics there most people should know where BC is.

Infinity is the only M-class ship I haven't sailed. I've been on Millenium (Alaska) and Constellation (Scand/Russia) once each and on Summit 5 times (Alaska, Classical Med and 3 S. Carib.). Love them all. That said, on our recent Summit cruise, my cousin and I and 2 friends booked a cruise on Silhouette for next Jan. Time to try one of the big, new ships with a different itinerary. My cousin wants to sail to S. America in 2 yrs and we will probably take Infinity.

Keep up the good reviews!

SailorJack....have you ck'd out the Feb 17 thread lately?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37419313&posted=1#post37419313

it seems that their time/weather in the Antarctic was even better than ours! I keep saying, somewhere our there, someone is getting the nasty weather we were supposed to have....the universe just seems to balance things out that way

Susan

I saw that. I am really happy for them...a little jealous, perhaps...but very happy for them. Although, our weather was not all that bad - at least compared to other stories I have heard. I think we had a great trip and saw what we went to see.:)

I don't know how I missed this when it first came out. Just saw it today, Mar.6. I had recently reread parts of the Dream or Nightmare review, which always cracks me up.

This is another masterpiece! I can't believe you don't do this for a living. It should be syndicated!

We had another snowstorm starting last night which dumped several inches of new snow here in Dayton, OH. :eek: I needed a good laugh to lift my spirits. It'll be in the 50s this weekend, which will also help.

I spent a pre-cruise night in Vancouver, BC, last Aug. before boarding Millenium for an Alaska cruise/tour. Beautiful place! After the Olympics there most people should know where BC is.

Infinity is the only M-class ship I haven't sailed. I've been on Millenium (Alaska) and Constellation (Scand/Russia) once each and on Summit 5 times (Alaska, Classical Med and 3 S. Carib.). Love them all. That said, on our recent Summit cruise, my cousin and I and 2 friends booked a cruise on Silhouette for next Jan. Time to try one of the big, new ships with a different itinerary. My cousin wants to sail to S. America in 2 yrs and we will probably take Infinity.

Keep up the good reviews!

Glad you enjoyed the review. You have much more experience than I on Celebrity, but I hope to do more - it is such a good cruise line. We have not tried the really big ships and are actually looking at sailing on one of Princess's smaller ships -600 or so passengers. It will mimic our first cruise ever when we sailed on a ship with 500 passengers. Have a great time on teh Silouette!

Jack

We took a walking tour our first day in Buenos Aires and it was conducted by a great tour guide by the name of Jonathan, who (I believe) is from England. His tour lasts for 4 hours and is free! He is one of the best guides we have ever used and if you are ever in BA he is the guy to go to. He does accept tips! Also, the "walking" tour also includes trips on a bus and on the subway so you really get a good feel for the city. That's Jonathan in the Beastie Boys T-shirt.

DSCN10411280x960.jpg

Many of the buildings in BA are decorated with a distinct style known as

fileteado porteño. The style originated in the early 1900's and has become a popular decorative practice. It originated in wagon factories, where the first teachers of the trade developed it spontaneously until it was fully matured with shapes and color. For many years, the city’s cars and wagons had an original decoration which was embraced by buses and trucks. Notice that all of the decorations include a blue and white design - a banner, or a flag. These are the national colors of Argentina's flag and this design is included in almost all fileteado porteño paintings.

003.jpg

DSCN1049.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

This last one features Carlos Gardel - regarded as one of the most influential figures in the history of tango. He was a singer, a songwriter, and an actor and made several movies for Paramount Productions. He is a revered icon in Argentina and his likeness and statues can be found throughout BA. He was quite a handsome man as well!

DSCN1054.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Another great Sailor Jack review.

Thank you once again!!!!!

However, this must be the first review of yours I've read that no one offered to purchase Sailor Jill. Maybe all of the cows down there are frozen so can't be used for trading.

Or was it actually just once that the purchase offer was made and it made such a strong impression on me that I've transposed it in (what's left of) my brain to all of your reviews?

BTW - we've done the Princess small ship Tahiti cruise twice and it is so beautiful that you will have quite a challenge to find something humorous to write about it. Then again, maybe your talented writing will be able to even find that.

Fabulous review and photos that are starting....just wonderful with wit and humor..thanks so much for the real lift..it just describes the best things and times in life, couples, humor, cruises, travel, the unknown etc. Good luck with the dancing Sailor Jack...LOL....Sarah

Another great Sailor Jack review.

Thank you once again!!!!!

However, this must be the first review of yours I've read that no one offered to purchase Sailor Jill. Maybe all of the cows down there are frozen so can't be used for trading.

Or was it actually just once that the purchase offer was made and it made such a strong impression on me that I've transposed it in (what's left of) my brain to all of your reviews?

BTW - we've done the Princess small ship Tahiti cruise twice and it is so beautiful that you will have quite a challenge to find something humorous to write about it. Then again, maybe your talented writing will be able to even find that.

No offers on Jill since the nine goats!:D I envy your two trips to Tahiti! Hopefully we will be there soon.

Fabulous review and photos that are starting....just wonderful with wit and humor..thanks so much for the real lift..it just describes the best things and times in life, couples, humor, cruises, travel, the unknown etc. Good luck with the dancing Sailor Jack...LOL....Sarah

Took a while to get the photos done, but I think I have the hang of it now. You had to bring up the Tango thing again, huh?:D

Jack

This is a small shrine dedicated to Gaucho Gil. We saw several of these in Argentina. Gaucho Gil is regarded as the most prominent Gaucho saint in Argentina. He was an outlaw of the Robin Hood ilk - robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. He was killed in 1878. According to legend as his executioner was about to kill him, Gil told the executioner that his son was gravely ill and that if his life was spared he would cure the son. The executioner killed Gil and upon his return home found that his son was, indeed, deathly ill. Praying to Gil for forgiveness, the son recovered and a saint was born. Now people leave offerings and pray for miracles. Over 100,000 people a year visit the main Gaucho Gil shrine located at the spot of his death.

DSCN1052.jpg

This is the Abasto de Buenos Aires - at one time the main market for the city - at over 500,000 sq. ft. It now serves as a very upscale shopping mall. It is also home to the only kosher McDonalds outside of Israel. That is a statue of Carlos Gardel in the foreground.

007.jpg

The architecture in Buenos Aires was amazing. This is the Palacio barolo which at one time was the tallest building in South America. Designed by an Italian architect, the Palacio Barolo was designed in accordance with the cosmology of Dante's Divine Comedy. There are 22 floors, divided into three "sections". The basement and ground floor represent hell, floors 1-14 are the purgatory, and 15-22 represent heaven. The building is 100 meters (328 feet) tall, one meter for each canto of the Divine Comedy. The lighthouse at the top of the building can be seen all the way in Montevideo, Uruguay. The Palacio is the one in the middle.

011.jpg

A photo showing the detailed work of the Palacio.

018.jpg

Another example of the Italian inspired arctitecture in the city.

DSCN1061.jpg

I'm looking to book my first ever Celebrity cruise, so doing all my due diligence and spending hours on CC reading reviews and this has to be the best damn thing I've seen yet. SailorJack you should compile your reviews and get them published! Thanks for that afternoon chuckle! (My coworkers must be wondering why I'm laughing out loud so often). :D

Pictures coming as soon as I can upload them...including some amazing pictures of the ship's smokestack!:)

that would bring tears of absolute joy to my face..... and the ONLY thing that could ever make one of your reviews better.

Thank you for bringing laughter to my dreary, rainy friday. :)

that would bring tears of absolute joy to my face..... and the ONLY thing that could ever make one of your reviews better.

Thank you for bringing laughter to my dreary, rainy friday. :)

Gee...if I had known that I would have taken several!!:D

Most entertaining review ever! Thanks!!!

Glad you enjoyed that down there in the Conch Republic.:)

Any guesses as what this building is? It is not what it looks like. It is, in fact, the Buenos Aires Metrolpolitan Cathedral - the main Catholic church of Buenos Aires. A Catholic church has stood on this spot since 1580 - although in different incarnations. The first one was made of wood and adobe but has obviously been replaced many times since that date.

020.jpg

This is the Plaza de Mayo (May in Spanish) - the location of the 25 May 1810 Revolution that ultimately led to Argentinean independence. It has since become the hub of political life in Buenos Aires and demonstrations are frequently held here. The Plaza is just in front of the Pink Palace and is where the crowd stood while Madonna sang in the movie Evita.

026.jpg

This is the Piramide de Mayo - located in the Plaza de Mayo. It is the oldest monument in Buenos Aires -construction being ordered in 1811 to celebrate the first anniversary of the May, 1810 revolution.

023.jpg

This is the Casa Rosada - the Pink Palace and home to the executive branch of the Argintinean government. If you notice the grey covered arches on the second floor to the left - that is the balcony used by Madona to sing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" to the crowd below in the Plaza de Mayo. Our guide mentioned that the government first refused permission to use Casa Rosada, but relented when the producers told the President he could meet Madonna. Permission was granted, but only for a night shoot in order to avoid potential demonstrations. That is why the scene in the movie occurs at night.

025.jpg

023.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

... for brightening my day!

Hilarious, absolutely hilarious! :D

After reading your review I added an Antarctica cruise to my bucket list.

Would love to read your review of French Polynesia, after you've been there.

The best cruise we ever did was 12 nights around Tahiti on Renaissance, it was like being in Paradise.

Sailor Jack...thanks again...lol yup.."that subject" I saw a Professional Tango group tour years ago from Argentina..wow that you and dear Jill did that, so great.....and all the history and then the cold, cold..thank so so much for the tours..I wonder being from Montana if ever I want more than I get or worse got in the 70's at higher elevations...this trip would be the limit...but so wonderful you did it and appreciated it so very much..thanks so much, it is just great, now will look up your other stories after this one...love your mix of fun and history and architecture, are we going to see a penguin??...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

... for brightening my day!

Hilarious, absolutely hilarious! :D

After reading your review I added an Antarctica cruise to my bucket list.

Would love to read your review of French Polynesia, after you've been there.

The best cruise we ever did was 12 nights around Tahiti on Renaissance, it was like being in Paradise.

It has been suggested that Tahiti is so nice that I will not have anything to write about.:) We have, in fact, taken several crusies which I did not review simply because not enought interesting things happened to warrent one. Hopefully that won't be the case in Tahiti. I have been looking forward to this one for such a long time it would be a shame (to me) not to write about it.

I'm looking to book my first ever Celebrity cruise, so doing all my due diligence and spending hours on CC reading reviews and this has to be the best damn thing I've seen yet. SailorJack you should compile your reviews and get them published! Thanks for that afternoon chuckle! (My coworkers must be wondering why I'm laughing out loud so often). :D

Thanks, and good luck on your upcoming Celebrity cruise - I know you will enjoy it.

Sailor Jack...thanks again...lol yup.."that subject" I saw a Professional Tango group tour years ago from Argentina..wow that you and dear Jill did that, so great.....and all the history and then the cold, cold..thank so so much for the tours..I wonder being from Montana if ever I want more than I get or worse got in the 70's at higher elevations...this trip would be the limit...but so wonderful you did it and appreciated it so very much..thanks so much, it is just great, now will look up your other stories after this one...love your mix of fun and history and architecture, are we going to see a penguin??...Sarah

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope the winter up there in Big Sky country was mild this year!

Jack

The next images are from the Recoleta Cemetry. Bario Recoleta is the most exclusive neighborhood in Buenos Aires and the cemetry it where many of the wealthy elite chose as their final resting place. They had arcitects draw up plans for tombs that replicated their palaces, churches, and chapels. The cemetary is the burial place for 19 presidents, noble prize winners, and former leaders of industry. It is about 4 city blocks in size and contains over 4,700 tombs and mausoleums.

This is the church that stands at the entrance to the cemetary.

051.jpg

040.jpg

Inside the cemetary.

049.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

The next images are from the Recoleta Cemetry. Bario Recoleta is the most exclusive neighborhood in Buenos Aires and the cemetry it where many of the wealthy elite chose as their final resting place. They had arcitects draw up plans for tombs that replicated their palaces, churches, and chapels. The cemetary is the burial place for 19 presidents, noble prize winners, and former leaders of industry. It is about 4 city blocks in size and contains over 4,700 tombs and mausoleums.

This is the church that stands at the entrance to the cemetary.

Inside the cemetary.

049.jpg

[iM[/img]

Do you remember whose grave this was?

I'd love to heat the story of the Jewish Menorah just beneath the large Cross in the center.

Do you remember whose grave this was?

I'd love to heat the story of the Jewish Menorah just beneath the large Cross in the center.

It is the tomb of Dorrego-Ortiz Basualdo - who was one of the wealthiest residents of Buenos Aires. As I recall from our guide's lecture, the tomb contains both a Menorah and a Cross to symbolize the family's religious conversion upon their immigration from Europe to Argentina.