All Things Adventure of the Seas

This ship is one of my choices for a cruise in the fall. Just wondering about the language on board at trivia and such. I read a review that because the ship tends to have a high passenger level of spanish speaking guest that trivia, other events are done in spanish and not english. Is this true??

This ship is one of my choices for a cruise in the fall. Just wondering about the language on board at trivia and such. I read a review that because the ship tends to have a high passenger level of spanish speaking guest that trivia, other events are done in spanish and not english. Is this true??

My experience has been that it has a lot to do with the language spoken by the Entertainment staff as well as the composition of the passengers sailing.

When we were on Jewel (on a S. Caribbean cruise in summer of 2013) even with many many Spanish speaking passengers and the Activity Manager who was fully fluent in Spanish, the language spoken was mostly English....and if needed, when the staff member could also done in Spanish (but not always).

When we were on Allure (summer cruise 2014, it was Western or Eastern Caribbean), more was done in both languages than every before; but the entertainment staff was very much bi-lingual.

We just came off of an Indy cruise (Feb 2015), and very little Spanish was used during activities.....the passenger mix had many Spanish speaking passengers, but the entertainment staff was not very bilingual at all.

So the answer is -- it will depend upon lots of things.....first and foremost, the ability of the entertainment staff to do English and Spanish. Many of the staff we had on Indy, were from Canada, UK or other European countries, but not from Spanish speaking countries.

This is one of the things that is exciting for me. I don't really speak Spanish much, but I think it's fun to learn and on cruises I often get a chance to use my "Spanglish". I always have fun talking with waiters, room attendants, etc. while on cruises. Cruises out of San Juan are particularly fun for this reason. Spanish is a very beautiful language and not so far from English that you can't make yourself understood with just a little effort. It makes the cruise kind of a little more cross cultural. I look forward to it.

Tom

My experience has been that it has a lot to do with the language spoken by the Entertainment staff as well as the composition of the passengers sailing.

When we were on Jewel (on a S. Caribbean cruise in summer of 2013) even with many many Spanish speaking passengers and the Activity Manager who was fully fluent in Spanish, the language spoken was mostly English....and if needed, when the staff member could also done in Spanish (but not always).

When we were on Allure (summer cruise 2014, it was Western or Eastern Caribbean), more was done in both languages than every before; but the entertainment staff was very much bi-lingual.

We just came off of an Indy cruise (Feb 2015), and very little Spanish was used during activities.....the passenger mix had many Spanish speaking passengers, but the entertainment staff was not very bilingual at all.

So the answer is -- it will depend upon lots of things.....first and foremost, the ability of the entertainment staff to do English and Spanish. Many of the staff we had on Indy, were from Canada, UK or other European countries, but not from Spanish speaking countries.

Fantastic pictures!! I'm definitely not missing that!! Thanks for letting me know. Are you going to be on port or starboard side? Just wondering, we're booked on starboard side and hoping to see the ports on our side.

Thanks and try to stay warm. We had 242" of snow in northern MI last winter. We all had PTSD after that one.

Mary

The view of the city going out will be on the starboard side! :cool:

Beautiful pictures !! I'm getting very excited, almost a month away ! I just received my cruise docs & it says "check in: 1:30-7pm," weird because on the Dec 2014 dailies it says the muster drill is at 5:45pm. I'm looking to stay in Old San Juan as long as i can before cruising, any opinions on this ? :confused::)

Oh boy...I'm a tough person to ask because we were in an aft cabin on Jewel. So we had views both port and starboard, but not till we left port (lol!) Also we were on Jewel which has a slightly different itinerary, so the approach to various islands would be different!

Sometimes when I am deciding on cabins, I go to the web page which has the itinerary traced out on the map, and I follow it with my finger just like the ship would do (this is called the "ant" method of navigating...pretend you are an ant and trace the route on the map... for some of us directionally impaired folks, its the only way to visualize these things!) But even if you do that, we don't really know which side of the island the ship approaches, so it's hard to tell. Maybe some who have had either port or starboard cabins could remember which views they had for each island!

For San Juan I recall that the fort and view was on the starboard side! (ding, ding, ding winner, winner! :D)

Snow, what snow? mpf argh, glump (FamilygoBoston can no longer report she has been swallowed up by snow)

I bet you have, my hubby and I watch the news and feel so sorry for everyone on the east coast. Not that we don't have about the same amount of snow BUT we live in an area of Michigan (frozen tundra) where it's normal to receive a lot of snow.

In all truth, hubby and I are thinking of moving down south (Florida...cruise ports...pant! pant! :p) I have about 4 years until retirement. Yahoo! Thanks for the info.

Edited by silver_cloud
can't type...

Cruising on Sunday just notified today not to check in until after 5:00 anyone know what this is all about. I am not going to sit at the airport for 6 hours waiting to go to the port. Anyone have experience recently, in years passed we were always on by 11:00.

Beautiful pictures !! I'm getting very excited, almost a month away ! I just received my cruise docs & it says "check in: 1:30-7pm," weird because on the Dec 2014 dailies it says the muster drill is at 5:45pm. I'm looking to stay in Old San Juan as long as i can before cruising, any opinions on this ? :confused::)

Because the ship leaves later than usual, I believe there is some sort of second muster for late arriving passengers.

Edited by SewMuch

Cruising on Sunday just notified today not to check in until after 5:00 anyone know what this is all about. I am not going to sit at the airport for 6 hours waiting to go to the port. Anyone have experience recently, in years passed we were always on by 11:00.

I've been told that there is no problem showing up at 11:00 if you want, no matter what your assigned time is.

How was your trip? I leave on Indy this Saturday.

food was hit or miss...not sure what was going on with the kitchen but we were told a lot of crew were pulled during the captains corner session at a last minute request to go to the Quantum. Some only got a one day's notice. So lots of new faces and lots of training. First week waiter excellent and food was off...second week we switched to MTD and still had great service and some food like my favorite escargot were over cooked....I gave up...lol

love this ship and even tho so so many new faces...everyone smiling and never a no I can't do this. Windjammer was excellent for dinner!

Mercedes, the cruise director was pulled away to Miami after the second night of our first week and was not back this past week as well. Activities director replaced her and I think was a little overwhelmed.

Ports were great...some rain in ST Thomas up at the tram but we loved every minute.

Enjoy the Indy!!!!!!

go you will be fine. They are trying to keep from having backup at the port. We were on board by noon in the Windjammer having lunch.

Hello all, we are setup for the Meet & Mingle.

We are trying to decide what night to do Giovanni's, but don't want to miss Steak & Lobster night in the MTD. Can any one shed some light on this, please?

Do Giovanni's the first night! You get a 20% discount if you book ahead. The only bad thing about doing it the first night is you'll be wanting to go back again!

OK...just researched and found my post from a month or so ago.

Originally Posted by skiiergirl View Post

I don't have them all...and of course subject to change...but I believe this was the order for 11/30 and 12/7 sailings:

Night 1 = Mojo

Niight 2= saffron

Night 3= Pimiento

Night 4=

Night 5= the mushroom menu that cannot be named

Night 6= Jasmine

Night 7= Pomodora

See this thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45039368#post45039368

Trying to chose a night for Giovanni's and want to ask this question for the Barbados to St Croix itinerary. Skiier girl's ABC itinerary has different formal nights I think. So I'm hoping some folks recently aboard for the other itinerary can fill me in on the formal nights.

Based on the Compasses I've seen, I think formal nights are Day 2 Sea Day, and Day 5 Antigua (normally formal nights are second to last night, but on this itinerary, the port day in St Martin goes till 6 PM, and maybe they do it a night early to accommodate the later port??) Is this what you recent sailors have experienced? Now, almost ALWAYS, second formal night is JASMINE menu...with the Fisherman's Plate (lobster tail)

Tentatively, (after, really, just an unhealthy amount of research:rolleyes:) I have the menu schedule for the AOS 7 night Barbados-St Criox

1 mojo

2 saffron Formal

3 pimento

4 ?basil?

5 ?Jasmine? Formal

6 ?the mushroom menu that cannot be named?

7 Pomodoro

These are my best guesses, any thoughts on this, set me straight, please;)!!?

Edited by Familygoboston

Hi Everyone! Just finished reading through all the posts in both threads. Whew. Learned a lot!!

I've sailed with Carnival and Princess previously but never on RCL though I've sold it tons and have clients who love RCL.

So I'm doing the Southern Caribbean March 12/16 and I'm super excited. I'm quite the planner. I like to research and plan everything well in advance.

I've booked cabin D1 1670. Anyone stayed in this cabin before? Got any feedback?

My teenager daughter wanted to know about an ice cream bar, and I've learned about the soft serve so that's great, and she wanted to know about a pizza bar. I saw the post about the make your own pizza - can anyone tell me if that's a daily event or a special one time only experience?

Lastly, I wanted to know if there are any midnight buffets or chocolate buffets on AOS?

Edited by TravelAgentRobin

Hi Everyone! Just finished reading through all the posts in both threads. Whew. Learned a lot!!

I've sailed with Carnival and Princess previously but never on RCL though I've sold it tons and have clients who love RCL.

So I'm doing the Southern Caribbean March 13/16 and I'm super excited. I'm quite the planner. I like to research and plan everything well in advance.

My teenager daughter wanted to know about an ice cream bar, and I've learned about the soft serve so that's great, and she wanted to know about a pizza bar. I saw the post about the make your own pizza - can anyone tell me if that's a daily event or a special one time only experience?

Lastly, I wanted to know if there are any midnight buffets or chocolate buffets on AOS?

There are pizza slices available at Cafe Promenade virtually 24 hours.

The soft serve ice cream (probably frozen yogurt) on the pool deck is free, but is only open limited hours, something like noon to 7pm. You can also get Ben & Jerry's ice cream near Cafe Promenade fo extra cost. Ice cream is free every night in the Main Dining Room.

The Windjammer (buffet) also has make your own pizza, but I don't know if it's a daily event. No midnight or chocolate buffets.

Edited by Help@

There are pizza slices available at Cafe Promenade virtually 24 hours.

The soft serve ice cream (probably frozen yogurt) on the pool deck is free, but is only open limited hours, something like noon to 7pm. You can also get Ben & Jerry's ice cream near Cafe Promenade fo extra cost. Ice cream is free every night in the Main Dining Room.

The Windjammer (buffet) also has make your own pizza, but I don't know if it's a daily event. No midnight or chocolate buffets.

Thanks, that's a big help.

Robin