All Things Adventure of the Seas

We have done a Chef's table a few times (both on RCI & NCL) - when I booked the AOS I checked the listing on the website and according to RCI there is no Chef's table on AOS.

I was disappointed as we really enjoyed the Chef's table on other cruises. Jan

We have done a Chef's table a few times (both on RCI & NCL) - when I booked the AOS I checked the listing on the website and according to RCI there is no Chef's table on AOS.

I was disappointed as we really enjoyed the Chef's table on other cruises. Jan

That is disappointing as I too enjoy the Chef's table as well.

We are on deck 7 we have a Promenade Room. I thought that would be different but hope it's not to noisy

Stayed in a promenade room on the Mariner, same class of ship. We were on deck 8. Noise was not too bad, could just hear muffled music. Put my ear plugs in and didn't hear a peep. Promenades are great for people watching. :D

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

We are looking into AOS for late August 2016. The southern itinerary is really appealing to us (well, at least to the wife and I). So the question for us, is there normally a lot of families on these cruises? Our kids will be 14 & 11 at that time. We've been on Freedom and Oasis before and are just concerned they won't enjoy a smaller ship as much. Any validity to those concerns? Or are we over-thinking it?

We did the AOS southern cruise in December. We switched to AOS to visit different ports.

The AOS will not have a Flowrider as the Freedom and Oasis do and our son LOVES the Flowrider. But if you plan fun excursions on the islands you visit, your kids can have lots of fun.

Will they not enjoy a smaller ship as much - probably. Our son did not enjoy AOS as much as Oasis / Allure. But did he have a fun overall cruise - definitely.

We are looking into AOS for late August 2016. The southern itinerary is really appealing to us (well, at least to the wife and I). So the question for us, is there normally a lot of families on these cruises? Our kids will be 14 & 11 at that time. We've been on Freedom and Oasis before and are just concerned they won't enjoy a smaller ship as much. Any validity to those concerns? Or are we over-thinking it?

There is a port almost everyday so I don't think your kids will miss the larger ship. If you had more sea days they probably would but this itinerary is so port intensive. :)

Will they not enjoy a smaller ship as much - probably. Our son did not enjoy AOS as much as Oasis / Allure. But did he have a fun overall cruise - definitely.

There is a port almost everyday so I don't think your kids will miss the larger ship. If you had more sea days they probably would but this itinerary is so port intensive. :)

Thanks for the conflicting opinions :D. Seriously, though, I appreciate the input.

I think we'll be okay if we do go ahead and choose this cruise since there won't be a tremendous amount of time on the ships. But overall, do these southern itineraries seem to have less families than say the cruises that leave from Florida?

Depending on the time of year it will have more or fewer families if the kids are out of school. The AOS does 7 day itineraries so those are good for families. The longer cruises tend to have fewer families with kids.

Tom

Thanks for the conflicting opinions :D. Seriously, though, I appreciate the input.

I think we'll be okay if we do go ahead and choose this cruise since there won't be a tremendous amount of time on the ships. But overall, do these southern itineraries seem to have less families than say the cruises that leave from Florida?

There will be plenty of families. Many of them will be from Puerto Rico. And I think those folks are a blast to be with.

We are on deck 7 we have a Promenade Room. I thought that would be different but hope it's not to noisy in the cabin.

Ship Questions:

1. Does Giovanni's need reservations?

2. Is there a "Chef's Table"? If so where do you go to make reservations and what is the cost?

3. The tour of the ship? Is it worth it? I've done this on Carnival a few times but quickly realized the ships are about all the same so once you've done it once your good. Also was a lot cheaper on Carnival.

Port Excursion Recommendations:

Day 2 - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas: Skyride To Paradise Point

Day 3 - Basseterre, St. Kitts: Would like the Senic Rail but they can't seem to tell me what's up with it. Any recommendations?

Day 5 - Oranjestad, Aruba: Atlantis Submarine Expedition

Day 6 - Willemstad, Curacao: Fascinating Curacao

Day 8 - San Juan, Puerto Rico: Old And New San Juan City Tour With Airport Drop-Off

This is kind of what I'm thinking right now but am open to recommendations.

We have stayed in a promenade room on Navigator. Deck 6. Loved it. I really get bothered by noise but did not find the room noisy at all. When the parades were on we had a front row seat looking down and could see everything. Since the parades and most other activities were on during hours we would be awake anyways it worked out great. By bedtime the promenade deck was very quiet. You will love it.

We have booked another promenade room for our cruise on Adventure and chose deck 6 once again. I do feel too that the cabins are roomier than an interior or oceanview but maybe that's just my perception.

You will find that the cabins on the other side are very close and you did need to keep drapes closed at appropriate times.

I love the promenade rooms. They do seem more spacious! We were on deck 7 with ours. When the parades were going on we put on glow necklaces/bracelets and turned off the lights and danced away, a number of people pointed to our room laughing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Port Excursion Recommendations:

Day 8 - San Juan, Puerto Rico: Old And New San Juan City Tour With Airport Drop-Off

This is kind of what I'm thinking right now but am open to recommendations.

I am going to give you feedback on this one excursion from my personal experience. DH and I did this when we sailed on Jewel's Southern Caribbean itinerary. The excursion itself was very nice. You need to know that there could be a lot of walking between the area that you pick up your luggage when you get to the airport and your personal airline terminal.

Everyone picks up their luggage at a central area and then has to make their own way to the respective terminals that they need. We had plenty of time, because their are very specific time restrictions listed on the excursion such as: 'Do not take this excursion if your flight is prior to (specific time inserted)'. Our flight was over an hour after the listed flight time, so we were fine to have a leisurely walk with all of our luggage through the terminals.

Would I do this type of excursion again, yes.

Hello folks!

I figured I'd come to the experts about my question and I apologize if it has been asked before. It's a bit specific, so I doubt it hasn't been.

I'm going on the Adventure in September and I'm currently booked in 9690. My two friends are booked in 9390. We haven't heard pleasant things about these balconies, especially with it not having any overhead so we are contemplating a change.

The only cabins left in our category (so wouldn't require a priced change) are on deck 6, starboard side. Would this be considered a good change? How close are they to the lifeboats on the side? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. I believe one of the cabin numbers we're looking at is 6262.

Also, is there a Johnny Rockets, Ben and Jerrys and Coke machine on this ship? Thanks!! We are extremely excited about this cruise; one of the ladies is a first time cruiser and we want to make sure she's impressed! :D

Hello folks!

I figured I'd come to the experts about my question and I apologize if it has been asked before. It's a bit specific, so I doubt it hasn't been.

I'm going on the Adventure in September and I'm currently booked in 9690. My two friends are booked in 9390. We haven't heard pleasant things about these balconies, especially with it not having any overhead so we are contemplating a change.

The only cabins left in our category (so wouldn't require a priced change) are on deck 6, starboard side. Would this be considered a good change? How close are they to the lifeboats on the side? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. I believe one of the cabin numbers we're looking at is 6262.

Also, is there a Johnny Rockets, Ben and Jerrys and Coke machine on this ship? Thanks!! We are extremely excited about this cruise; one of the ladies is a first time cruiser and we want to make sure she's impressed! :D

Yes to Johnny Rocket's and Ben & Jerry's. I don't believe it has freestyle coke machines. As far as deck 6 goes, the lifeboats are sort of "tucked in " on deck five. Unless you look straight down they are not an issue at all.

:D

I haven't been on Adventure yet, although we will be soon. However, I've read many times on these boards that the balconys on deck 6 have an all metal railing that you can't see through. They've been described as tin cans and most people don't find them to be desirable at all. The other decks have balcony railings that are half glass. Hope this helps.

But of course if you're cruising and have any kind of balcony at all, then life is good!

Yes to Johnny Rocket's and Ben & Jerry's. I don't believe it has freestyle coke machines. As far as deck 6 goes, the lifeboats are sort of "tucked in " on deck five. Unless you look straight down they are not an issue at all.

Thanks for your quick reply! We'll be moving the rooms tomorrow.

Thanks for your quick reply! We'll be moving the rooms tomorrow.

Wow...you snagged those great corner afts! Those are very popular cabins. I certainly can't tell you not to switch because I don't know your likes or dislikes. We have never had those on deck 9 but love those corner afts on deck 7. What category are 9390 and 9690 these days? I can't tell on my screen. So it looks to me like there are some on deck 8...but I can't tell for sure just on the color coding.

I would get other opinions before you decide to switch.

Wow...you snagged those great corner afts! Those are very popular cabins. I certainly can't tell you not to switch because I don't know your likes or dislikes. We have never had those on deck 9 but love those corner afts on deck 7. What category are 9390 and 9690 these days? I can't tell on my screen. So it looks to me like there are some on deck 8...but I can't tell for sure just on the color coding.

I had a deck 7 aft balcony on the Explorer last March and it was absolutely perfect. However, I've seen pictures of the corner aft balconies on deck 9 and there is no overhead, which I don't really like. I'd still like to enjoy my balcony, even if it's raining. I called today to inquire about the change since the same rooms are available on deck 7 and since I booked so early, they told me if I switch categories, I'd have to pay an extra $1,100.

We will still think about it but there are only 6 cabins left in our category so we may have to decide soon or wait until people cancel after final payment.

Hello folks!

I'm going on the Adventure in September and I'm currently booked in 9690. My two friends are booked in 9390. We haven't heard pleasant things about these balconies, especially with it not having any overhead so we are contemplating a change

We had cabin 9350 (starboard side D2 balcony. Nice cabin, new draperies. Downside, burn holes in the carpet from more than likely cigarettes. There were 3 or 4 of them near the bed and under the table by the couch. I assume the carpet hasn't been changed in this cabin for awhile. Flat screen tv that adjust away from the wall. Stocked refrigerator that we never used. I believe you can ask them to remove the items. I had to ask for a foam mattress topper due to bad Back. They accommodated me including a foam brick pillow. Slept like a baby.

Johnny Rockets was good. $5 service charge per person.

Never saw any free standing Coke machines.

70's show on the promenade is still a hit.

Quest and Love and Marriage shows we hits too.

Dining room offered escargot every night- yummy

Lobster was on Friday and were very goog and eat as many as you want.

Some of the steak offerings were better than others. The filet is a good choice.

All in all the MDR food was good. The windjammer food was also good with many different choices. Much better than my experience on the Brilliance last December.

All in all a great cruise. Great ports to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. John's Antigua, st. Maarten, St. Croix

Have fun, it goes so quickly

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Sorry didn't answer your other questions.

The two corner aft balconies on deck 9 are an E3. The same ones on deck 7 are an E1 and would require me paying an additional $1,100 if I wanted to switch. In the E3 category, there are 6 deck 6 balconies left. Will look at some more pictures today.

Edited by Virtopia

Hello folks!

Don't switch cabins. Those are prime aft view cabins. You will live the view...270 degrees. They have 2 deck loungers and 2 chairs and a small table to eat on. I'm sure you will love them. Google search "voyager class aft cabins" and check out the pictures.

I am in a corner aft on deck 8 on AOS in October, and actually selected this cabin because it will have more sun than deck 7. The corner aft cabins have the largest balconies on the ship, and you are in a quiet, low traffic area with cabins above and below you. I would stick with the deck 9 aft corner over the deck 6.