Alaska in May

NoobCruise

Our interests for this next trip are a little different than what you normally see on these boards. DH and I would like to see Alaska snowy white and iced up so we're looking at booking one of HALs first sailings in May. Is it reasonable to expect this in May, or is it hit or miss like all weather in Alaska?

And will we still make it in to Glacier Bay?

I would also be interested in Phillips 26 glaciers cruise. Does anyone know if it runs that early or is it still too icy?

I have done first-of-the-season cruises to Alaska twice. We had snow on the mountain tops, and in Skagway one of the hiking trails was still closed because of snow. Not sure exactly what you mean by "iced up" though.

We have made it to Glacier Bay every time we've been scheduled to. There was more snow, closer to the water, in some areas of Glacier Bay, but not PILES of it by any means.

If you want to experience WINTER, I humbly suggest you try out one of the Western Canadian ski resorts in January ;)

Our interests for this next trip are a little different than what you normally see on these boards. DH and I would like to see Alaska snowy white and iced up so we're looking at booking one of HALs first sailings in May. Is it reasonable to expect this in May, or is it hit or miss like all weather in Alaska?

I would also be interested in Phillips 26 glaciers cruise. Does anyone know if it runs that early or is it still too icy?

There is snowy mountains, scenic vistas, but it is NOT winter with snow on the ground in May. It is not a hit or miss, you are too late. If this is a priority then look at March- now, or next year. It is winter, but milder temps, 12 hours of daylight- excellent opportunity for aurora. Of course no cruises. :)

Glacier Bay is always accessable, it's wide and easily navigated. 4/5 glaciers seen on the trip. NO this isn't 100%, but it's 99%.

Since you are looking at a one way trip- be aware- that plans need to forget about Denali Park, and few boat tours are running. Phillips, starts 5-11 this year, so likely would fit. Out of Seward does have the grey whale watches, but these are definatly hit and miss. This is a transit area- so you have to be lucky.

If this early cruise is a priority, then I would fill at least a week, mainland Alaska with Fairbanks, Homer etc, and stay until other things are going- Denali Park, Kenai Fjords boat tours etc. At least 3 weeks would be my suggestion

I am not sure what your "icy" reference is?

We agree...have cruised in May (shoulder season and will be there again May 17th) I too want my Alaska weather to feel like my idea of Alaska....Not interested in cruising to Alaska in my shorts, I do that in the caribbean. ;):D

We cruised Alaska last April. We were three weeks ahead of all ships. It was fantastic. Of all the times I had cruise Glacier Bay it was the best of the best.

No one can guarantee what the weather will be like. You will see snow on the mountains and more snow then say late in the summer season.

What is nice about going earlier is that you have fewer ships in port whereas in the middle of the season the ports can just have too many people.

I would go early.

Keith

We were one of the first vessels into Glacier Bay in May 2010 and the snow was down to the waterline in most places. No problem making it in though. Lots of snow on the mountains but none in towns unless you do excursions to higher elevations. We like May and it’s usually dryer, but you can’t depend on it. With quite a bit of snow on the mountains it makes for some great photo opportunities, particularly if the sun is out.

You could do Fairbanks and north in February or March. You will get very cold, lots of snow, the Fairbanks Ice Carving Festival and lots of aurora. I did it one year and it was a lot of fun.

DON

We were one of the first vessels into Glacier Bay in May 2010 and the snow was down to the waterline in most places. No problem making it in though. Lots of snow on the mountains but none in towns unless you do excursions to higher elevations. We like May and it’s usually dryer, but you can’t depend on it. With quite a bit of snow on the mountains it makes for some great photo opportunities, particularly if the sun is out.

Thank you for this info. We are doing a late May cruise this year and I have the opposite concern stated in the OP. We are from Florida and May is the only opportunity we'll have this year to go and who knows about next so the last thing I'm wanting is for weather/snow to slow us down.

Archived