Canvas Bags

bobchico

There is also a new consideration that the old canvas bags were not very sanitary and shown in at least one recent case to be a noro-virus transmission culprit. The new high-tech fabric ones that will be waiting for you in your cabins can be more easily washed, dried and cleaned up after each day's use if one worries about any possible contamination.

I think they come the night before your first port day. They used to be a canvas and now are the kind of material reusable shopping bags are made of and navy blue. Of course this could very from ship to ship, but on our last two (NA and Noordam) they were the new blue ones.

You will receive a tote bag the night before your first port.... in your case, HMC.

It will not be in your cabin when you arrive. The steward will leave it when (s)he does night turn down service.

We did not get bags on our sailing two years ago...is this something new? I would think that with all the cutbacks, canvas bags for very room would be the first thing cut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should have gotten one tote bag or another. HAL has consistently given them out for every cabin/every cruise.

On all our cruises we have gotten the tannish bag the night before the first port -- OP -- in your case you should have it in your cabin after you return from dinner on embarkation day as HMC the next day is your first port.

As for the new blue and tan bag -- it has "Mariner"'s on it and we have only gotten them when we do Collector's Cruises and we get it on the second segment of the cruise.

Nope...sailed the 11 day Mediterranean September 2011 and never saw one, never saw anyone carrying them. Don't know....

Did you ask your cabin steward for one?

On all our cruises we have gotten the tannish bag the night before the first port -- OP -- in your case you should have it in your cabin after you return from dinner on embarkation day as HMC the next day is your first port.

As for the new blue and tan bag -- it has "Mariner"'s on it and we have only gotten them when we do Collector's Cruises and we get it on the second segment of the cruise.

They are not talking about the Mariners Tote given to us for Collector's Cruises.

This is a new tote we started getting last summer..... It is dark blue and feels and looks like some faux straw sort of cloth. It is about the same size as the usual HAL totes they gave for years but a very different cloth.

We have several of the beige HAL bags - and they really don't wash well and are smaller than the new bags. I was so excited to see that they had gone to the new blue bags when we were on the Zuiderdam last summer. Big improvement. Haven't tried washing them yet.

Now I've got to get on a Collector's cruise so I can get one of the really nice bags :p

Since we never saw anyone onboard have one, I didn't know to ask for one. We Re scheduled to board our next cruise in a couple weeks...I will ask for one if we don't automatically get one

Wow, that's surprising you didn't see anyone carrying their HAL tote. We always hang a name tag off ours as it is so easy to confuse them with someone else's. :D

Good you know to look for a tote on your bed after nightly turn down service the night before your first port. If you don't receive one, speak with your steward.

Sailed HAL in 2004 and 2005 and have never been given any kind of tote bag or any other type of bag. Looked back through videos and don't see anyone else carrying them either. Apparently they don't distribute these bags on every cruise. Both were 7 day Caribbean cruises on Zuiderdam and Westerdam, respectively.

On our 'just finished' cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, they did not have the blue and tan bags. I did ask if we could have one for the second segment of our Collector's Cruise, but the cabin steward said that there were none on the ship. We did get one of the new blue bags for each segment the night before our fist port.

Sailed HAL in 2004 and 2005 and have never been given any kind of tote bag or any other type of bag. Looked back through videos and don't see anyone else carrying them either. Apparently they don't distribute these bags on every cruise. Both were 7 day Caribbean cruises on Zuiderdam and Westerdam, respectively.

Strange - maybe they ran out? I know we cruised in that time period and did receive them. I haven't done many 7 day cruises - we tend to do longer - but we have done 3 7 day cruises and definitely got our bags on those cruises.

I just hope I get my collectors bag on my upcoming cruise;)

We were on the MV Discovery last year and saw more HAL swag bags and logo items than any other cruise line - not even close, in fact zero for any other line. We saw HAL T-shirts, fanny packs, bags, hats, lanyards and Race for the Cure shirts to the point I started a photo file of all of them.

That's odd. We have a tote bag from every cruise we've done on HAL, regardless of the length of the cruise.

Archived