You are not going to believe this!

BillC

Just heard Azamara is considering the removal of the Harpists, Mary and Jacqueline...due to cost considerations. That would be very disappointing.

We consider their music an integral piece to the ambiance of cocktail hour, dining and many of the special functions. We often requested a table just on the other side of the wall just to enjoy them during dinner. They are a signature, a classic touch of the "Azamazing Experience".

We too would be very disappointed. I sometimes mused about how their music would create an attractive atmosphere if piped into the MDR; however, your solution was an excellent idea. I'm embarrassed we didn't think of it.

Unfortunately as people gathered for entry to the MDR, the level of noise would often rise and we sometimes felt that the harpist's efforts went unappreciated. I see by the comments here that that was not always the case.

We were also hoping that, with the minor refurbishment a more dedicated area for their talents would be provided. Alas, it looks like such a change was not provided and, worse, that an important part of the onboard evening ambience may be no more.

We were also hoping that, with the minor refurbishment a more dedicated area for their talents would be provided. Alas, it looks like such a change was not provided and, worse, that an important part of the onboard evening ambience may be no more.

Couldn't agree more. If this is correct then it is another disappointing decision.

Not a good decision!!! Was really looking forward to seeing Jackie in August.

Agree with the other posts that without the harpists Azamara is losing an edge it has over other cruise lines. It will be interesting to see what else they cut. I guess it was a sign that things were changing when they did away with the discount on shore excursions in favor of "giving" everyone a special evening experience in ONE port.

Hello Azamara Followers -

I've learned today that we will no longer have a harpist on each of our vessels. It was a very difficult business decision for our shoreside operations management team and they realize that it will be a disappointment to many of you.

Although the harpists will be absent, I believe you know that you will be served an exceptional onboard experience by our team that performs at consistently high levels.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I've learned today that we will no longer have a harpist on each of our vessels. It was a very difficult business decision for our shoreside operations management team and they realize that it will be a disappointment to many of you.

Although the harpists will be absent, I believe you know that you will be served an exceptional onboard experience by our team that performs at consistently high levels.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

We loved the harpists. It reminded us of our wedding and also set Azamara apart from other ships.

I think this is a very poor business decision. Raise the rates by 400% and get rid of the harpists....

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you for your prompt and honest answer Bill, whilst this will no doubt be a decision that will not reversed, I hope you can feedback that many loyal, regular guests find it extremely disappointing.

And it leaves us wondering....what next?

Thank you for your prompt and honest answer Bill, whilst this will no doubt be a decision that will not reversed, I hope you can feedback that many loyal, regular guests find it extremely disappointing.

And it leaves us wondering....what next?

Indeed, it does leave us wondering 'what next'?

Such a shame, the harpists were always a delight to listen to, and so accommodating in playing requests.

I suppose they'll just pop a CD on now. How upmarket is that!

Indeed, it does leave us wondering 'what next'?

Such a shame, the harpists were always a delight to listen to, and so accommodating in playing requests.

I suppose they'll just pop a CD on now. How upmarket is that!

I wonder, because we all loved it but took it as the norm on Azamara we probably did not mention it enough on the feedback forms and this gave the beancounters the wriggle room they needed for one more cutback to pay for other items they are planning to "spin"

Well Bill, thank you for confirming it, but I can't say I am very impressed. Such a pity. The harpist was commented upon on numerous occasions when I have been in Discoveries Lounge. Coupled with the fact that I looked at Laura Sterling's photos of the interior and considering the hype by Azamara's marketing team there didn't seem to be much difference. There has been very little imagery of the interior. Many photos on Facebook of the blue hull. That seems to be the most exciting part of it.

I love Azamara, but promoting "enhancement" of the product with cutbacks isn't ringing a very good tune with me. It will be interesting to see how the pricing of the cruises develops, but I'm starting to feel a bit "had" by the spin.

Phil

I wonder, because we all loved it but took it as the norm on Azamara we probably did not mention it enough on the feedback forms and this gave the beancounters the wriggle room they needed for one more cutback to pay for other items they are planning to "spin"

Excellent point. I know that we didn't comment upon how much we enjoyed their presence as they contributed to the sophisticated atmosphere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have only cruised once with Azamara and really enjoyed the ambience on board.

This was after the announcement about the changes.

Speaking to many dedicated Azamara cruisers on our cruise about this, we were surprised how many knew nothing about the planned changes.

These cruisers had never heard of CC and so were in ignorance of the proposals and also disapproved of what they were hearing.

The announcement talked about 'More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers ' but unlimited booze and the disappearance of classical musicians does not speak to me of 'up market'

It will only remain to be seen whether this strategy will pay off.

It is not often I contribute to the boards but we are also disappointed by this decision. The harpists give a very special extra and unique quality to the Quest and Journey and provide more than just entertainment. As someone has already mentioned the harpists usually exceed the enrichment speakers in their performances with their accompanying commentary on their music and instrument.

In particular we remember a tour to Santiago de Compostella where Mary Amanda was key to ensuring that our local guide got us in to the cathedral before time ran out when our requests were falling on deaf ears both with that guide and the Azamara excursion member of staff that was with us. She also stopped by to chat to us in the airport on ours and her way home. She was an excellent ambassador for Azamara.

We keep hearing about what Azamara are adding to their offerings and how this justifies the increase in prices but are now wondering what else they are going to cut.

I have only cruised once with Azamara and really enjoyed the ambience on board.

This was after the announcement about the changes.

Speaking to many dedicated Azamara cruisers on our cruise about this, we were surprised how many knew nothing about the planned changes.

These cruisers had never heard of CC and so were in ignorance of the proposals and also disapproved of what they were hearing.

The announcement talked about 'More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers ' but unlimited booze and the disappearance of classical musicians does not speak to me of 'up market'

It will only remain to be seen whether this strategy will pay off.

I really don't think the powers that be know what they want, as you say, the changes don't say 'upmarket' to me, quite the opposite.

So let's put together a report card of what's happened beginning with the big "enhancement for upmarket travelers":rolleyes: announcement:

1. A huge fare increase measured in four figures

2. Said to be caused by two significant enhancements

a. One free shore excursion grandiosely termed "Azamazing Evenings" worth about $150

b. Included "standard spirits" which have yet to be defined four months later but could have been purchased for $30/day prior to the announcement

3. The reduction in discount from 50% to 25% for pre-cruise purchase of shore excursions

4. The firing of the much-admired harpists

5. The re-introduction of the much reviled extra-charge Nespresso coffees

Does anyone see a net increase in value in these changes?

So let's put together a report card of what's happened beginning with the big "enhancement for upmarket travelers":rolleyes: announcement:

a. One free shore excursion grandiosely termed "Azamazing Evenings" worth about $150

b. Included "standard spirits" which have yet to be defined four months later but could have been purchased for $30/day prior to the announcement

3. The reduction in discount from 50% to 25% for pre-cruise purchase of shore excursions

4. The firing of the much-admired harpists

5. The re-introduction of the much reviled extra-charge Nespresso coffees

Does anyone see a net increase in value in these changes?

Of course not -- most of us had it figured out when these changes were first announced -- and when Larry Pimentel was answering questions, those of you who bought the hype are now figuring out what is really going on -- price increases and more profit. PERIOD. And poor Bill L, who does a great job, has no choice but to defend it and put it in a good light. Quite a challenge IMO.

Based on that, folks can decide if Azamara is worth the extra $$ they are charging for essentially the same product before the so-called enhancements -- maybe less of a product (no harpists, no half off excursions). Having the captain and officers chit chat with you regularly is only worth so much -- certainly not thousands of dollars.

We have 2 upcoming Azamara cruises. We do not tour with hundreds of cruisers and will not take the not so amazing (IMO) Azamazing tours. I will not travel in packs of 50 -- much less 300. Worthless enhancement IMO.

There are other options out there. Oceania is completely redoing its 3 R ships in 2014 (Insignia is back in the fleet in 2014 -- apparently they expect an uptick in business -- maybe disgruntled Azamara cruisers) -- the latest promotion includes gratuities and some even include free internet. A few sailings have discounted business class upgrades. True, you don't get wine with dinner but you can bring on as much wine as you want. For non drinkers (or light drinkers), the wine and alcohol have no value at all. IMO Oceania is going to be the big beneficiary of the Azamara changes. But time will tell.

I used to enjoy reading the Azamara board on Cruise Critic. Even when I did not have a cruise booked, I vicariously enjoyed the comments and anticipation of other posters.

Now, I find myself feeling discouraged after reading this forum. I now read other cruise line boards to find posters writing joyful reviews with pictures of recent journeys.

I enjoyed the harpists , and felt they helped differentiate Azamara from other cruise lines. Eliminating them seems to me to be yet another misguided "business decision", which reinforces the likelihood that my next "business transaction" will be with another cruise line. Which is a shame, because I really loved my previous Azamara cruises.:(

To be fair, that is not the way I read Larry P.'s post #1 when he joined this forum last fall.

I took it that they needed to increase revenue and that the "enhancements" were an attempt to increase "value" but not the sole reasons or causes for the increase.

Those of us who had sailed on ACC were probably aware that the revenues in that iteration could not be covering the costs.

No doubt we are less sophisticated than other posters here, and thus, as another poster suggested easily "duped", but we will make a determination after our upcoming cruise as to whether the "value" we receive for the entire experience warrants the tariff.

we will make a determination after our upcoming cruise as to whether the "value" we receive for the entire experience warrants the tariff.

That is exactly my point - each cruiser needs to make his or her own determination.

Those who believe that the Azamara experience is worth the thousands of dollars more they are now charging will no doubt continue to sail Azamara.

But it is not really an "enhanced" experience --is it? Marinaro44 nailed it.

It's basically the same old Azamara (tweaked a bit and not to the liking of most of us on CC) for thousands more.

To some it will be worth it; to others not.

But it is not really an "enhanced" experience --is it? Marinaro44 nailed it.

It's basically the same old Azamara (tweaked a bit and not to the liking of most of us on CC) for thousands more.

To some it will be worth it; to others not.

Well, here's where I will respectfully disagree.

I would separate the recently announced "enhancements" from the overall "enhanced" experience we have enjoyed on the "same old" ACC. Certainly the experience was superior to our cruises on Celebrity and HAL and, as I've stated, underpriced.

Secondly, I am certain that onboard we will not be analyzing how head office at Miami operates, nor the means they use to convince us of the "value" of our cruise.

We will simply enjoy the experience, giving credit to that head office for the features we particularly appreciate, and, as you state, assessing how the recent "enhancements" impact that enjoyment.

But we will miss the harpists!

To be fair, that is not the way I read Larry P.'s post #1 when he joined this forum last fall.

Yes, Pimentel did say that and Ryszard Gusmann said the same thing when we talked with him on Quest. But that's never appeared in Azamara's PR hype. And here's a quote, buried at the bottom of Bill Leiber's BIG ANNOUNCEMENT here on Cruise Critic:

"With the addition of the AzAmazing Evening events and expanded complimentary beverage options, the fares will be increasing on November 1, 2012."

Here's another:

"With these new amenities added to Azamara Club Cruises, guests are offered an unmatched vacation experience at a tremendous value.”

And one more:

"We believe that with these new amenities added to Azamara Club Cruises that we are offering our guests a wide variety of unmatched vacation experiences at a tremendous value."

No mention anywhere in the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT as posted here about the need for increased revenue in order to attain profitability and stay in business, or anything of the like. And, as far as adding "value," see my posting above.

The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT was, as it turns out, the fare increase. The one free shore excursion and included "standard spirits" were distractions intended to turn our attention to something other than the fare increase.

The confirmation from Bill L that the harpists are gone is indeed disappointing. Will there be anything in their place? On our SA cruise, we so enjoyed the harpist, not only her music but the opportunity to talk to her. The piano bar player was, IMO, not very good and seemed to be going through the paces...not much personality either. While we went to the disco once or twice on our Med cruise, we didn't visit at all on the S.A. cruise...we preferred low key (and we had so much to do on shore in each port, we were tired at the end of the day.) Neither are we fans of many of the cabaret offerings (although the Azamara singers/dancers were good and one special guest singer was excellent) So what entertainment or music will be available? Please don't touch the guitarist, either! These little extras contribute to the lovely ambiance on the ships....much more, IMO, than offering bottom shelf liquor (and we don't even know whether mixed drinks or cocktails are now included.) We were ready to book another Azamara cruise (because we got a really good price...not much more per diem than our last cruise) but the latest cut-backs have us re-thinking things.

I find it troubling that Larry Pimentel, who so skillfully handled the fire aboard the Quest last year, would shoot himself in the foot on the elimination of the harpists. I was willing to pay extra for the cruise. The free booze does not appeal to me. I liked the 50% off shore excursions, but was willing to settle for the 25% in most cases. I understand the need to make a profit. I am saddened that they also felt the need to cheapen the product.

Archived